PDA

View Full Version : Arrrgh! Late planning stinks!!

MemoriesByMom
03-07-2008, 10:53 AM
This is our second trip with the kids (7,8) and we still can't get a Chef Mickey's ADR before 9pm for breakfast or dinner!! What's the trick for those of you that can't plan your vacations two or even four months in advance? Of course, we're going while the entire northeast is on Spring Break, it seems?!?! I have been able to get some good ADRs, so I can't completely complain, and I've grabbed a Chef Mickey's for after 9:00 as a fallback, but it is so frustrating with young children!

My plan is to keep trying to see if a cancellation opens up, but what are my chances? Do people ever cancel their ressies at Chef Mickey as they settle their plans? One reservationist indicated that the 45-day window can bring lots of changes and again the 5-day window because of vacation package cancellation policies. Would this carry over into the dining side of things too?

Soooooo frustrated! I've gotta stop visiting this board and get back to work! :(
TIA Karen

bleukarma
03-07-2008, 11:01 AM
There is hope. I never plan six months in advance since I live close and most of my trips are last minute trips. I was once able to get a lunch ADR for Le Cellier 2 weeks before I planned to go and it was in the middle of free dining. A week before my trip my aunt got sick and we had to cancel our trip so I canceled my ADR. Things happen and ADR’s get canceled all the time! In fact when I got the Le Cellier ressie it happened to open up while the reservationists was looking. After the 45 day mark should open up some slots so keep trying! Also, if you make it to WDW with no ADR that you want try calling the night before or even the morning of. Sunday I wanted to eat lunch at Kona and I called about noon and got an ADR for 2pm. I never hurts to keep trying! :mickey:

DDuck66
03-07-2008, 11:06 AM
Keep calling and try to go at odd hours...try for a late breakfast or a early dinner...we usually have no problems but it is easier for a party of two.

baby minnie's mommy
03-07-2008, 10:09 PM
Same thing happened to us! I know it's frustrating! :( We tried so hard to get Chef M., but had to go to Crystal Palace as a backup. The result? DD gave us a memory to keep forever, the way she so lovingly reacted to Pooh! :cloud9:

Hang on to the after 9 ressie. That may be the day you have to take an afternoon nap, in order to enjoy a late supper. :) Chances are not great that you'll get in much earlier, although I would keep calling in hopes a table opens up!

You might want to make another character meal ressie with characters the kids like. That way you'll get at least one good interaction time, if the kids are tired and dragging at Chef M. Or if everyone's so tired and you wind up cancelling, at least you'll have another one to look forward to. It may wind up being better than Chef M.!

m&mzmom
03-08-2008, 07:59 AM
We are going 4/4-4/12 and the same thing happened with our Chef Mickeys reservations - all they had was 9pm on our last night. Each day I called back and in 3 days was able to book CM for 745pm instead with a party of 4. So don't give up!!

pilk
03-08-2008, 09:11 AM
One option you can try is to see if you can make a resie for more people than your party actually is.

A couple years ago we (DW and myself) tried to get Chef M. for diner but everytime we called they said nothing was avialable at all for our time there (we were there for a week). When we got to WDW we went to the Contemporary and spoke with a CM at the front desk. What he did was booked us for a table of 3 then said to tell the restaurant that our third member decided not to have dinner when we arrive for dinner. We got seated at a table for two with no problem. The resie was also right at the time slot we wanted to have it originally.

Instead of waiting when you get there to make the resie. Try making it now.

Jared
03-08-2008, 09:17 AM
Unfortunately, the reservation system distinctly favors early planners. My family routinely books our vacations two or three months in advance, so I understand your plight.

For this trip, all I can recommend is to keep calling every day and hope for a cancellation. Otherwise, be willing to eat a weird hour or try a different restaurant.

In the future, just try to anticipate trips better. Remember you don't need to have a resort reservation to make dining arrangements. The moment you even consider visiting Disney, call and secure potential restaurants. If you decide not to go, it's easy to cancel.

Good luck!

:tasty:

January-2007
03-08-2008, 01:16 PM
Last year we went for Memorial Day week and I decided to try for a spot at Chef Mickey's. I called and called and called, nothing available any day for any meal. Just keep calling though! One day when I called somebody had just cancelled and I got the most perfect time on the most perfect day, so it really worked out in the end for us and we had a fantastic time! So keep trying, you might just get lucky like we did! It does happen! :mickey:

cajunbaby1
03-12-2008, 03:38 AM
Good luck with your adr's. When I called to check on a certain day; I tried to be a little flexible as to the time frame. Say I wanted dinner at chef mickey which is hard to get sometimes I would give her a time and have them check around that and was able to get close to what I actually wanted. If not I just called back another day and different time.

tennantsrwe
03-12-2008, 08:34 AM
I also suggest just keeping at it. Who knows, if you're persistent you might luck up and call when there is a cancellation. If you can be a little more flexible opt for odd times. Late breakfast, etc. Also you can even check the day of once you're there if you want to. We were able to change a ressie the day of at one of the parks. It's not a for sure thing but it can happen. Just keep at it, good luck!

Jeff G
03-12-2008, 10:14 AM
Like everyone else said keep trying. Even if you can't get it prior to leaving keep trying when you arrive. My best results with those tough to book ADR's has come a day or few days before while at WDW. We've gotten into Cinderlla's Royal Table for breakfast three different times this route along with a prime Chef Mickey's time.