PDA

View Full Version : Washing Stuffed Animals?

mjaclyn
03-06-2008, 09:36 PM
My DD has a stuffed puppy that she LOVES and it's getting pretty dirty. She's also going through this phase where she'll walk up to anyone and have them 'sniff' her puppy. (DD recently noticed how much our dog makes a sniffing sound so she's imitating it and loves to have people sniff her stuffed doggy) With all the flu going around I really want to wash this stuffed animal but the tag says 'spot clean only'. I think I remember someone telling me how to safely wash a stuffed animal in a pillowcase or something like that. Has anyone actually done this? What exactly do I do with it?

bjbunny
03-06-2008, 10:00 PM
I used to run a day care in my house and when ever I needed to wash stuffed animals I would put them into a pillow case and tie it closed and wash on gentle cycle. I never had a problem with "spot clean only" animals.

When the wash was done I would throw the pillow case, with the stuffed animal in it, into the dryer on low heat for a very short time and then let the animal air dry the rest of the way.

Hope this helps. Good luck!

AmberB
03-06-2008, 10:45 PM
we've had good luck washing stuffed animals in a pillowcase as well. We do usually let them air dry instead of using the dryer.

tinkerbell04
03-07-2008, 10:11 AM
I have washed many stuffed animals in a pillowcase and all have been fine. I too placed the entire pillowcase in the dryer on low as well.

Gooftroop5
03-07-2008, 10:17 AM
We too wash many of stuffed animals in pillow cases. Depending on what the fur is exactly made of depends on if it gets thrown in the dryer on low or just set out to air dry. DD has a teddy bear that they say is machine washable we got it straight from the company store and they were specific on not drying it in the dryer cause the fur would melt even on low.

MsMin
03-07-2008, 10:30 AM
A pillowcase is great and if you have a gentle cycle. Construction is the first concern b/c a washer is tough on it. Next the fiber which most fibers can stand the wash. Dishwashing liquid (not the auto washer detergents)is the same as woolite. You can use a tablespoon of that instead of regular detergent, it's more gentle. One thing you have to be careful with too is the stuffing, as mentioned when drying and last you have to be careful that it doesn't sour. Sometimes something sitting wet for a while can sour on the inside and it's tough to get out. Try to make sure you have squeezed out any excess moisture (pat it w/ a towel) if it didn't spin too much in the washer) Some fibers deteriorate in the sun so if you put it out be careful of too much direct sun too!

mjaclyn
03-07-2008, 12:34 PM
Thanks so much for the information! I'm definitely going to give this a try. :thumbsup:

tennantsrwe
03-07-2008, 12:42 PM
I also use pillowcase...and depending on the decoration an the animal air dry or tumble low. Also try using Febreeze once a week in between washes, really keep the fresh smell around. If you're woried about allergies they have one out now specificly for that. Hope this helps!

Ian
03-07-2008, 03:03 PM
I'd like to piggyback on this conversation and ask if anyone has had any experience with any of the stuffed animal resoration services there are out there?

Our DD's "Ducky" is really beginning to look very "well loved" and is in desperate need of some assistance.

I've looked around on the web and found some that will restore stuffed animals to their original condition, but I have no clue which one to use, how much it costs, etc.

Disneyatic
03-07-2008, 03:33 PM
I have also had good luck washing stuffed animals inside pillowcases.

Ian,
What type of help does the Ducky need?
I am not sure about restoration services, but a few weeks ago my daugther and I were in build a bear and the little girl in front of us had brought in her old teddy bear (it had been her mom's before she got it) because it needed some help. The associate took great time and care in un-stuffing and re-stuffing the bear.
When the associate was going to cut the bear open to get the old stuffing out, the little girl asked "Is that going to hurt him?" and the associate said "Should we give him a pain shot?" and was very good about going through the whole motions of making sure the bear was comfortable. Then the little girl held the bears hand during it's surgery :D
It was very sweet and cute and I was impressed that they would spend this much time on a bear that didn't give a profit!
Not sure how much love your ducky needs, but if it's a stuffing issue this might be a suggestion.

Ian
03-07-2008, 07:06 PM
Ian,
What type of help does the Ducky need?Ummmmmm ... yeah .... he needs the stuffed animal equivalent of a heart/lung transplant. ;)

Basically, he needs full restoration. Complete cleaning, re-stuffing (and preferably a re-installation of the quacking mechanism he used to have), replacement of his "hair", etc.

Poor Ducky has had a long and fruitful life, but I'm afraid he's nearing the end if he doesn't get some serious help soon. :(

Flower
03-07-2008, 09:00 PM
Be careful about the dryer, we had a really cute & furry Sulley Halloween costume for Benjamin and it accidentally got put in the washer, so I just threw it in the dryer. The fluffy fur all matted together and went lumpy:cry:

I was able to salvage most of the fur by brushing it out to fluff it, but it is not as soft and definitely not the same.

I know it's not a stuffed animal, but it is basically made the same, just without the stuffing! My stuffing is cuter!!!!) :D

My Sulley Monster!!!
http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2208277250055983738aHopuK

BrerGnat
03-07-2008, 09:49 PM
I've thrown several stuffed animals in the washer as is, no pillowcase. I use cold water, the gentle cycle, and woolite detergent.

I have had to do this when a few of my son's "friends" (namely, Mickey!) got covered with :ack:, if you get my drift.

I just put them in the dryer after that. They have all been fine. No ill efffects!

BrerGnat
03-07-2008, 09:51 PM
Poor Ducky has had a long and fruitful life, but I'm afraid he's nearing the end if he doesn't get some serious help soon. :(

Sorry to hear about Ducky. :(

That is why when we find a stuffed toy one of our children REALLY likes, we buy 2. ;) They don't know we have extras. :secret:

minnie-mouse
03-11-2008, 01:44 PM
Yes, definitely wash it in a pillow case - frequently. Children's stuffed toys had harbor so many germs contributing to colds and allergies.