PDA

View Full Version : Middle of the day naps and housekeeping

SleepinB
03-06-2008, 12:04 PM
After several commando trips to WDW, we began to appreciate the advantages of stretching our activities over longer stays. We were especially intrigued by all the posts regarding middle of the day naps. The sound of a middle of the day nap was very appealing.

On our most recent trip, as the parks filled up, we eagerly returned to our hotel room to plop down for an early afternoon nap. When we arrived, the room had not received maid service yet. During our nap, the maid arrived and we had to leave the room. On the second day, once again the room had not received maid service. This time we thought we would be smart and leave on the "Do Not Disturb" sign. The sign worked, but apparently this caused us to miss housekeeping for the day.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how they have handled middle of the day naps while planning around maid service?

Thanks.

irish1967
03-06-2008, 12:31 PM
You can call Housekeeping in the morning and request that the room be taken care of by such and such time. (It doesn't hurt to stop the Mousekeeper in the hallway and ask them as well.)

If I remember correctly, they won't guarantee that it will be done (the top priority is turning around the rooms that have been vacated for incoming guests) but every single time I made the request during the years my children still napped the room was taken care of by the time we returned from the park after lunch.

Oh, one thing we really did try to do is make sure that there was PLENTY of time for the request to be fulfilled - for example, I would call around 8:00 in the morning (as we were leaving for breakfast) and ask that the room be taken care of by 2:00 pm.

#1donaldfan
03-06-2008, 12:40 PM
We've not had any problems like that.....we do the nap thing from time to time....:mickey:

MNNHFLTX
03-06-2008, 01:03 PM
Yes, you can always call Housekeeping before you leave in the morning and request their services by a certain time, although I know it's not guaranteed. We've done this a few times and I think only one time they didn't get around to tidying it up before we came back to the room, so we just let it go for the day.

ibelieveindisneymagic
03-06-2008, 01:10 PM
We may have just lucked out, but the one day we were still in the room when housekeeping came by (DD was tired out...so we sent DH to the parks on his own) the housekeeper skipped our room (after talking to me) and then came back when she had finished the rest of the floor.

By then, DD was up, and we were out of her way.

Perhaps, if they come while you are in the room, you could ask them to finish the rooms around you, and come back?

tennantsrwe
03-06-2008, 02:33 PM
Anytime I know I'm going to want to be left uninterupted but don't want to miss housekeeping I always call to request the room be done either early or later in the day. Most places, and I'm sure this would include Disney, try to accommodate your needs. I hate not having housekeeping service daily. It's a little luxury I don't get at home....I'm the housekeeper, lol!

teambricker04
03-06-2008, 03:05 PM
We almost ALWAYS leave the do not disturb sign up the entire time for shorter stays. Everytime we have done so at a Disney Resort, we get called and asked if we need anything or need the room cleaned up. And if we have them skip our room mousekeeping has always left us a bag of towels and toiletries. Great service!

I think only once have we been in the room when they cleaned up.

I agree... I would just call and find out when they are/could come.

jpH/keD
03-06-2008, 03:37 PM
We never actually called housekeeping but both days we napped we missed service for the day.

But I called down and they brought extra towels asap so we could clean up!

My DH did call one day for service after he and the kids napped but no one came. However, it was Thanksgiving week and our ASMovies was totally booked up. I am sure they were super busy that week!

goofygirl67
03-08-2008, 08:11 AM
Just schedule your naps later in the day.
I go out about 9-10am and not come back till 2-3pm, then leave again about 5-6pm for the EMH or party of the evening. That's also one reason I leave later in the morning. Living here in Florida I have learned to take advantage of the cooler evenings.
I have rarely encountered mouskeeping when I get back. If I do I then I just take that time to walk around the resort a little (about a half hour) or if I am beat I will use the do not disturb sign.

daparish
03-08-2008, 11:14 PM
We had a problem on our last trip to YC. We were at the end of a hall where housekeeping would begin. We were out of the room by 8:30 but by then they had passed our room and they never did return. We did have our dnd sign up while we were in the room but removed it when we left at 8:30am. The first day it happened I called housekeeping and I was told it was because of the sign. I explained that the sign was taken down when we left at 8:30 but they said the only way the room would have been skipped is if it was up all day (I did not argue with them but I knew we had taken the sign down). It happend twice more on the trip. We would usually return about 3:00 and rest for a little bit and would be out again by 5:00. This is the first time we have ever had a problem but all I had to do was call down and they would bring up clean towels.

Genie1953
03-08-2008, 11:20 PM
We never had a problem. We usually got back to our room around 1-2pm and the room was always ready for us when we got back. We had GREAT housekeeping service! :mickey:

BluewaterBrad
03-09-2008, 09:17 AM
I can say it has never really been a issue with us. I can remember only 2 times in the last 20 or so trips. We usually take our miday resort break around 2.

mrsgaribaldi
03-09-2008, 06:14 PM
We almost ALWAYS leave the do not disturb sign up the entire time for shorter stays. Everytime we have done so at a Disney Resort, we get called and asked if we need anything or need the room cleaned up. And if we have them skip our room mousekeeping has always left us a bag of towels and toiletries. Great service!

This is our experience exactly. If I didn't know better I would say you were with us;)

TheMartellFamily
03-09-2008, 07:33 PM
We also put the sign out to let them know that we are in the room and do not want to be disturbed. We take the sign off we are going to leave. There was one time I was under the weather and called the Mousekeeping Dept. They did not clean that day but they did leave a bag with clean towels and toiletries to carry us though to the next day when they came in to clean.

grumpypima
03-09-2008, 10:09 PM
If I remember correctly, they won't guarantee that it will be done (the top priority is turning around the rooms that have been vacated for incoming guests) but every single time I made the request during the years my children still napped the room was taken care of by the time we returned from the park after lunch.

When we stayed at POR, our neighbors must have had a similar arrangement with Mousekeeping. We noticed a bag of towels on their door when we returned for our naps. Fortunately, our room was clean by the time we returned for our afternoon snooze.:sleepin: