PDA

View Full Version : Child with Tourette's Syndrome

scterry5
03-06-2008, 11:34 AM
Is there a special pass available for children with Tourette's Syndrome? We are going to Disney in late May and need some guidance with this as our son has Tourette's.

MsMin
03-06-2008, 12:08 PM
Welcome to Intercot and glad you have joined us.
I don't know if you noticed the thread on the GAC (guest assistance card). These cards are for visitors who have physical limitations that make the regular entry very difficult or impossible to board. There are also passes for those who do to neurological deficits can not wait in long lines or with large crowds- like children with autism who can not tolerate the stimulus overload.
Disney is getting a little more strict b/c of the abuse of the system.
Tourette's is a disorder that is going to fall into that gray area. There are many children who can easily manage the lines and can actually benefit from the structure. I don't know how much the CM's know about different disorders and circumstances. It may depend on the CM that is distributing the passes at the time. Would the CM be able to look at your child and see the need for a pass? Is your child limited to a w/c?
Of course there are many times when there are complex situations when the child has more than one disorder and it may be the other condition that requires the assistance.
I am not familiar with your child and the situation. There are many children with tourette's that I know that can handle the lines and I would encourage it. Remember there is a lot of motivation to focus on the line.
Personally in places like HM where you miss the preshow I would prefer to stand in the regular line and depending on the time of year they often move very fast. I've done it both ways and prefer the regular line.
I would love to say yes everyone can get a pass for special entry because I know what a challenge you face but I can't guarantee it.

DakandZakMom
03-06-2008, 12:36 PM
Welcome to Intercot!!:thumbsup: I have always found that this is the best place to get all of your questions answered.

My son has Tourette's and many of the various other symptoms that can go along with it. He has ADHD, OCD and also has panic attacks. I have never found the need for him to get a guest assistance card. Something about just being at Disney has always seemed to help him.(It must be the pixie dust!!):tink: I think that to him this is the one place where he knows that people will not stare at him if his tics get really bad and if he does happen to say things that he shouldnt people seem to overlook it. He has so many things to deal with that WDW is the one place where he actually gets to act like a kid.

Sometimes he does get a little stressed out about the lines but I like to make up little games to distract him. I would encourage you to have him go throught the lines there are a lot of things that he would enjoy and with the GAC you tend to miss these great parts of the attractions.

If you need anymore advice please feel free to PM me and I can give you all kinds of advice.

I hope that you have a great trip.