PDA

View Full Version : WDW Resort 5 Disc DVD Collection

DisneyCouple07
03-06-2008, 08:30 AM
Hi everyone. I would like to know if anyone has purchased the WDW Resort 5 Disc DVD Collection (it has a disc of each of the parks and one extra which I cannot seem to remember). If you have bought it, I just wanted to know if the set is worth it. The box set was $80 but didn't give any information as to how long each dvd is or what is actually on each disc. They also didn't give any specs (widescreen, surround sound, etc). Anyway, any info is greatly appreciated. :mickey:

Tygger7
03-06-2008, 10:45 AM
Interesting that you're asking about these...I'd bought a set back in 1991 when it was just MK & Epcot. Wow! Did those bring back memories! I plan on getting the new set when I'm there this year. I don't know how they'll compare to the old ones I bought, but they really capture the essence of the parks and preserve memories of rides that become extinct.

DisneyCouple07
03-06-2008, 01:06 PM
Thanks for the info Tygger7. I just wanted to make sure it wasn't going to be more of a long commercial. I hope that these will be as good as the ones that you're talking about. I'll wait a little longer if anyone else has info, but I'll probably buy them anyway. :mickey:

Tygger7
03-06-2008, 01:38 PM
The set I have does tend to be a bit "cheesy" at times, more so than "commercial". They briefly highlight all the major attractions and so clips of the actual rides. The Epcot one is so cool because it still has the original attractions...Dreamfinder, original Figment, Horizons, World of Motion, Body Wars, etc. I'm going down in May, so if you get the set before then, post and let us know how they are. I'll still get them on my trip...I'm just curious as to how they are now. :D

tennantsrwe
03-06-2008, 03:03 PM
I, too, would like to know how these are. Could be something neat to have and look back on. Thanks!

JPL
03-06-2008, 03:19 PM
I have the four parks and I have to say they are not that great. They all have an annoying cheesy character host. They show very little of the rides and even use some of the old recycled from the 1991 set. Overall I would give them a C-. The specials on theTravel Channel are much better.

DisneyCouple07
03-10-2008, 08:41 AM
Hi JPL,

I don't have the 1991 set (I didn't discover WDW until 2000), and would really like something that my DW and can watch if we can make it down (the Vacation DVDs are cute, but just not enough). Would you recommend getting them then? And two other things, are they widesreen or full? and how long is each disc? (When I looked at the package it didn't have any of the info on the back).

Thanks for all the help and comments everyone. :mickey:

JPL
03-10-2008, 09:48 AM
They are full screen and each Disc runs about 30-40 minutes. The extras are kind of cool but overall they aren't exactly the best out there. I would recommend taping the variety of Travel Channel shows especially for more adult oriented content. I really can't recommend them since I was disappointed in them overall.

DisneyCouple07
03-11-2008, 11:18 AM
Thanks for the help JPL. I'll save the $80 and just start recording the Travel Channel. :mickey:

LauraleeH
03-13-2008, 12:21 PM
You could buy the Modern Marvels Disney DVD. It's the show that was on the History Channel. I bought it...it's wonderful. Definitely worth it! :mickey:

DisneyCouple07
03-17-2008, 08:45 AM
Thanks for the heads up LauraLee... I will definitely look into it (I didn't catch those on the History channel). :mickey:

Red Randal
03-19-2008, 01:49 PM
"Modern Marvels: Walt Disney World" is the gold standard as far as Disney theme park television specials go. Any episode of "Great Hotels" featuring a Disney resort is also an excellent find. Most of the Travel Channel shows are also good to have.

That having been said, these discs are not really "bad." They're overpriced, but as far as Disney souvenirs go, they're par for the course.

My biggest problem with them is that they don't use real park/ride audio. I can only guess this is some kind of licensing issue with the music but it's really annoying. If Disney was able to release DVD quailty ride throughs of attractions, they would be sitting on a GOLD MINE.

I mean, these DVD's are fine for some sights of "Pirates of the Caribbean" but when they have some random voice-over guy giving a few lines from the ride dubbed over a song other than "Yo Ho", what's the point? They can put the songs on CD's...why not on a DVD too?