PDA

View Full Version : Gay Days at the park

Sparky0569
03-06-2008, 12:44 AM
Can anyone tell me what a family going to the parks from May 31 to June 7th might expect in regards to GAY DAYS?

Not trying to start trouble just want to know what will be going on.

LibertyTreeGal
03-06-2008, 06:23 AM
People in the same color shirts, having fun with their families.

It's sort of like anything else -- adoptive parents enjoy being around other adoptive parents. Deaf people love to be around other deaf people. Gay people enjoy being in a group of gay people. Christians like to hang with Christians. Lawyers like to .... well okay, so nobody likes to hang around with lawyers ;)

It's mostly a comraderie weekend. I guess there have been some incidents in past years on Pleasure Island, but it's easy enough to avoid that.

Rosanne
03-06-2008, 08:01 AM
[QUOTE=LibertyTreeGal;1567237]People in the same color shirts, having fun with their families.QUOTE]

Exactly. It's like anything else at Disney... good clean fun for all.

The only thing I would be concerned about would be the crowds. It shouldn't be THAT bad, but if you want to do research on what park the groups will be at on each day, that would be fine.

Other than that, have fun!

tennantsrwe
03-06-2008, 08:31 AM
I hear it's very crowded during that time, we try to avoid the busy season...if that's possible. I wouldn't go then regardless of what DAYS are going on. GOD BLESS!

trublueeyore
03-06-2008, 09:11 AM
We have been during this time in 2006 and 2007 and are going again this year because this time of year works for us. Yes, it is crowded, but I can deal with that. As far as my kids (dd14, dd7, ds12), all they see is what ride we are going to ride next. As long as everyone is respectful of everyone else, I have never had a problem.

Carol
03-06-2008, 09:20 AM
If you're worried about a certain park being more crowded then another -- you can see the park plan here (http://www.intercot.com/infocentral/calendar/events.asp#June_Events).

Thursday, June 5, 2008 - Animal Kingdom
Friday, June 6, 2008 - Disney/MGM Studios
Saturday, June 7, 2008 - Magic Kingdom
Sunday, June 8, 2008 -EPCOT

As long as everyone is respectful of everyone else, I have never had a problem.Exactly - and that rings true any day - with any one.

crazypoohbear
03-06-2008, 10:29 AM
Although I haven't been in the MK during gay day, I have been in Boston during the gay pride parade and all you will see is people having fun with family and loved ones. same as any other day in disney.

Just as Hetersexuals don't as a rule engage in overt displays of affection neither do homosexuals.
Go, have fun and tell mickey hi for me! :mickey:

prttynpnk
03-06-2008, 10:34 AM
We were in Disney last year at that time and felt no difference in atmosphere or behavior. A family is a family.

Tygger7
03-06-2008, 10:50 AM
On a side note...Star Wars Weekends will be going on at DHS on that same weekend, June 6-8th. That will definitely increase the crowds, but especially at DHS.

Ian
03-06-2008, 11:01 AM
I was down for them in 2001 and it was no big deal. The parks will definitely be more crowded, but it's doubtful you'll see too much bad behavior. In general, the attendees are very respectful of their surroundings and they behave better, as a group, than your average day's attendees do.

Now that being said, if you're uncomfortable being around gay folks, then you're going to be uncomfortable. You will see men holding hands with (and kissing) men and women holding hands with (and kissing) women. If that upsets you, or if you don't want your kids exposed to it, or if it's just not your cup of tea in general, then I'd move your trip.

diz_girl
03-06-2008, 11:08 AM
I can't comment on how Gay Days affect the crowds now, however the last time my family visited WDW in June was the first week of June 1997, and it was the first time that I had brought DH along. It was hot and crowded, and I distingly recall that it was Gay Days, but only from word-of-mouth, as you couldn't tell that it was Gay Days by looking at the crowds. School had already let out in many states and that was impacting the crowds more than anything else. Just bring your rain poncho for the 3 o'clock thunderstorm and enjoy the rides when everyone else scatters because of the rain.

the real Alice
03-06-2008, 12:16 PM
my DH and are planning a trip May 29 - June 2, just a day before the offical days. Is it likely to be just a crowded during that time?

January-2007
03-06-2008, 12:40 PM
We were there last year for Memorial Day week, and towards the end was the start of the Gay Days. We tended to avoid the parks that they went to just for the sake of crowds. It was crazy at Pleasure Island toward the end of the week, but it would be that way with any kind of huge gathering I think. So yeah, lots of matching shirts and more crowds in some places, but overall not bad at all. I wouldn't worry too much about it.

Laughin' place
03-06-2008, 01:38 PM
Id be more concerned about being there during Lawyer Days, which I am trying to organize ( deep evil laugh). Love to all at intercot, a proud disney-lovin' lawyer
PS -- It may have all started with a mouse, but Uncle Walt needed lots of lawyers to buy the land quietly, set up Reedy Creek, etc ;):judge:

kakn7294
03-06-2008, 04:03 PM
If you research Gay Day Orlando on the internet, you can find their website and get some information and their schedule of which day at which parks. Any events are generally held away from the parks. I don't know how significantly this event impacts the crowds but you can avoid those parks on those days just in case.

WDWFREAK101
03-06-2008, 04:57 PM
My friends are HORRIBLE at doing research and they just ASSUME that the date that we go to Disney will be open and everything will be fine.
*Sigh* My friends didn't research anything and we ended up going on a Gay Day.

ldc12377
03-06-2008, 07:05 PM
We were at WDW last year during Gay Days and I will admit that I was a little worried at first just because my kids are pretty young and we haven't really explained a lot of worldly things to them (they were completely stunned that their uncle and his girlfriend could have a baby when they aren't married.:blush:) I just didn't want them to see anything that they may have questions about and then, I would have to explain but everything went great. The adults in our group noticed a lot of red shirts but that was just because we knew red was the "official" color of Gay Days. I wouldn't worry to much about it. Like another post said, the kids will be too interested in figuring out which ride to go to next that they won't have time to see much of anything else and mostly, neither will you:thumbsup:

CaptSmee
03-06-2008, 07:34 PM
Yup, lots of people wearing red shirts hanging around chatting with each other. That's what I recall...didn't seem to affect the attractions but it was noticeably more crowded. I think it is a social event more than anything. We had a great time during the same time frame a few years ago.

GrandFlo
03-06-2008, 07:42 PM
We went once during this time and the only thing I noticed was that it was a lttle more crowded and many people had the same color shirt on. I know some people have seen things that they found to be offensive, but there will always be rude people whether gay, straight, etc, etc..

Besides more people in the parks on certain days, if the majority were not wearing the same color shirt you would never know the difference.

Gator
03-06-2008, 07:53 PM
My friends are HORRIBLE at doing research and they just ASSUME that the date that we go to Disney will be open and everything will be fine.
*Sigh*

My cousin and family went the same time. If your not OK with your kids viewing this, move it. My cousin wish he had.

IloveDisney71
03-06-2008, 08:02 PM
My brother was there once and told me that the MK reached full capacity. I don't know how long ago that was. ???
I had a friend who went during that week about 3 years ago and said it was great. That everyone was very polite and having a great time. She and her DD didn't feel uncomfortable at all.

AuntDJ
03-06-2008, 08:15 PM
I too go almost every year at this time as it is when the kids get out of school. Here is what I have noticed:

LOTS of red shirts...this is what stands out most to me....I didn't realize there could ever be that many red shirts in one place....

LOTS of families...other than a same sex parent, not much different from ours....

I have never seen alot of PDA, and we are always so involved in what we are doing, that my kids have never even asked questions..

Having been during this time, I am thankful for the schedule and this year I am planning on NOt going to the MK of Saturday as it does seem to get packed..of course it is June so the first time I went I didn't really notice as it is what I was expecting...

It is really easy to avoid the "park of the day" so if you are worried, that is what I would do.

Most of all-Have fun!

DJ

disneymajik
03-06-2008, 08:41 PM
My dd and I were at the MK during Gay Day's in 06 and actually the crowds weren't that bad at all. The only thing I had a problem with was some of the phrases on the T shirts ( some were overly suggestive for Disney in my opinion). I would stay away if you have inquisitive kids for that reason only.

Mickey91
03-06-2008, 10:17 PM
We were actually there one year during this time and never even knew it. We were more annoyed with all the class trips and rowdy unsupervised kids. Never saw a single noticeable display of anyone being gay.

Carol
03-07-2008, 07:33 AM
MODERATOR ALERT

Lets stay on topic, Everyone!

No one wants views on a person's lifestyle. We do not do that here on INTERCOT.

Move along........

BouncingTigger
03-07-2008, 07:26 PM
MODERATOR ALERT

Lets stay on topic, Everyone!

No one wants views on a person's lifestyle. We do not do that here on INTERCOT.

Move along........

Maybe some posts have been deleted, but I don't see anything "bad" in this thread. People seem to be respectful and on topic.

Also, about the shirts...I've seen a couple of "suggestive" ones - but honestly, most kids won't pick up on a lot of the innuendo (depending on their age, of course). Additionally, most kids aren't going to be reading shirts - they'll be focusing on the Disney magic! :mickey:

I've heard the crowds for Gay Days can be very variable. One friend told me it was PACKED and the other said it wasn't that crowded at all :confused:

AHOTE
03-08-2008, 12:07 AM
We went once during this time and the only thing I noticed was that it was a lttle more crowded and many people had the same color shirt on. I know some people have seen things that they found to be offensive, but there will always be rude people whether gay, straight, etc, etc..

Besides more people in the parks on certain days, if the majority were not wearing the same color shirt you would never know the difference.

Well said.:thumbsup: Just go and enjoy your time there.

Carol
03-08-2008, 07:47 AM
Maybe some posts have been deleted, but I don't see anything "bad" in this thread. People seem to be respectful and on topic. They have.

jefmblrd
03-08-2008, 07:57 AM
A family is a family.

Well said. I couldn't agree more. I think it's great that they have Gay Days in WDW.

disnyfan4ever
03-08-2008, 12:39 PM
We are going the exact same time you are. We have a dd-7 and were a bit worried ourselves that we picked the wrong week. Sounds like it's not a big deal. Thanks for all the replys.:mickey:

BelleLovesTheBeast
03-08-2008, 02:36 PM
How did you hear about Gay Days?

I'm wondering if there is a way to find out what kind of conventions, tour groups and such attend Disney and when. That way if you knew there was going to be a lot of people you could avoid that particular week.

Opryland Hotel sends out a list to the business in the area around the hotel that lets them know what conventions and tour groups are arriving, when and how many people.

I wonder if there is a way to find this out about Disney.

bruin1344
03-08-2008, 10:12 PM
I went last year during that week. One of those days we were on the monorail from one of the MK resorts to Epcot and noticed the day it was at the MK, the lines were out to the bus stops with people in red shirts. I knew ahead time the days of the unofficial events at each park so we avoided those parks because of the enormous crowds on those days. Pleasure Island gets a little more crowded also. I dont know if its been posted on this forum yet but you can check the events by googling gay days orlando and that should give you a calendar of the events.

Main Street Jim
03-09-2008, 07:26 AM
Also keep in mind that Gay Days is NOT - I repeat - *NOT* a Disney-sponsored event. We have NOTHING to do with who comes to the parks when; this is just a time of year that this particular group of people chose years ago to come down here. And it's not only at the Disney parks, but also I believe over at Universal and even over at Busch Gardens in Tampa. Much like the MouseFest happenings in December that we also do NOT sponsor or put on, it's just a HUGE get-together of people who love coming here ;)

Carol
03-09-2008, 09:28 AM
How did you hear about Gay Days?

Walt Disney World Events (http://www.intercot.com/infocentral/calendar/events.asp)

DisneyDudet
03-09-2008, 03:26 PM
We have gone during this time at least 3 times (that I can recall off hand and without looking at my sig). The first time we were shocked, as we hadn't researched as well as we should (and dad wore red... oops.. he bought a new shirt). Other than crowds at the parks they attend on certain days, that is all we really notice. There are some interesting dress choices sometimes, but other than that, its clean fun! Now that people are more respecting to the community, we haven't seen many problems, like we saw when we first went.

The major crowds you will see will be at MK on that Saturday. That is THE DAY that most will attend. We went, in the evening in 2005, and most of the crowds had gone, except for your normal evening crowds of families. They do have a big party at Pleasure Island that evening, so some of the crowds had gone there, especially the groups of couples without children.

Our resorts were not crowded really, as they usually get group discounts at area hotels, so a lot stay there, but you will have some attendees at Disney resorts.

This is my favorite time of year to go (besides Christmas and Halloween). Summer means Disney to me. I love this week, just because the first few days are usually crowd free!

MouseManiac
03-09-2008, 06:06 PM
"Gay people enjoy being in a group of gay people. Christians like to hang with Christians. Lawyers like to .... well okay, so nobody likes to hang around with lawyers"

I just spit soda out of my nose... Now that Lawyer line was FUNNY!!!:funny:

Belle_0717
03-10-2008, 01:54 PM
Sister and her hubby are heading down for Star Wars weekend. They did not realize that it coincided with the festivities.

DH and I were at WDW last week and I have noticed an increase on the average so I do not think Gay Days will matter.

These are just people being who they are - DISNEY FANS. We should not judge. I am judged constantly on my devotion to Disney. But I am never happier than when I am at the World.:D