PDA

View Full Version : Jericho

Ian
06-05-2007, 07:19 PM
I know we had at least a few folks here watching this show and I'm sure most of you were as disappointed as I was when the show was cancelled.

In case you haven't been following the stories, there has been a HUGE grassroots campaign to bring it back and now it appears as though it's worked.

Rumors on the web are hot and heavy that CBS is bringing Jericho back for an 8 episode run next season, with an option for more if the ratings improve.

Good news for us Jericho fans!! :number1:

Seasonscraps
06-05-2007, 08:32 PM
WOW! That would be cool. DH loved this show and while I watched begrudgingly, I want to know what happened. :secret:

Thanks for the tip! I think someone I know on another message board works at CBS - I'll see if she knows anything.

DREAMADREAM93
06-05-2007, 08:36 PM
Thank Goodness!!
I felt like someone shot my dog when they cancelled Jericho!
Its great to know that its comming back!:thumbsup:

JOrdan :]

Ian
06-05-2007, 08:55 PM
Thank Goodness!!
I felt like someone shot my dog when they cancelled Jericho!
Its great to know that its comming back!:thumbsup:

Jordan :]Well, it's just rumor so far. Nothing official has been announced, but even Jericho's producer has said that they are in talks to bring the show back. Doubt she'd say that publicly if it wasn't true.

By the way ... love the dog analogy! I felt the same way!

Mr. Tom Morrow
06-05-2007, 11:14 PM
Thanks for the update hopefully it does come back.:thumbsup:

It always seems the new show I enjoy gets the axe.

Jen0610
06-06-2007, 12:24 PM
Once weekly DH and I have sent e-mails to CBS expressing our displeasure on their decision to pull Jerico. DH and 5 of the guys he works with threw all in together and send CBS a box of nuts. That campaign is working wonderfully, from all the info we have seen on it. Will be a good thing if they bring it back, even if it is a small number of episodes.

Ian
06-06-2007, 01:22 PM
Yeah, I know ... I would be happy to just get some closure to that cliffhanger of an ending they had!

I want the show to be renewed for a full season, but at this point I'll settle for 8 new episodes and take it from there.

Jen0610
06-07-2007, 07:35 AM
:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :woohoo: :woohoo: :fworks: :fworks:

The people have been heard. YES, YES, YES, we got Jericho back!!!!!!!

Now all we have to do is get others to join or rejoin (those who lost interest with the long break last year) to start watching.

Ian
06-07-2007, 08:53 AM
Just to be clear, here's what Jen is referring to ...

IT'S OFFICIAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

June 6, 2007

To the Fans of Jericho:

Wow!

Over the past few weeks you have put forth an impressive and probably unprecedented display of passion in support of a prime time television series. You got our attention; your emails and collective voice have been heard.

As a result, CBS has ordered seven episodes of “Jericho” for mid-season next year. In success, there is the potential for more. But, for there to be more “Jericho,” we will need more viewers.

A loyal and passionate community has clearly formed around the show. But that community needs to grow. It needs to grow on the CBS Television Network, as well as on the many digital platforms where we make the show available.

We will count on you to rally around the show, to recruit new viewers with the same grass-roots energy, intensity and volume you have displayed in recent weeks.
At this time, I cannot tell you the specific date or time period that “Jericho” will return to our schedule. However, in the interim, we are working on several initiatives to help introduce the show to new audiences. This includes re-broadcasting “Jericho” on CBS this summer, streaming episodes and clips from these episodes across the CBS Audience Network (online), releasing the first season DVD on September 25 and continuing the story of Jericho in the digital world until the new episodes return. We will let you know specifics when we have them so you can pass them on.

On behalf of everyone at CBS, thank you for expressing your support of “Jericho” in such an extraordinary manner. Your protest was creative, sustained and very thoughtful and respectful in tone. You made a difference.

Sincerely,
Nina Tassler
President, CBS Entertainment

P.S. Please stop sending us nuts!!

Mr. Tom Morrow
06-07-2007, 07:51 PM
Nice !:thumbsup:

Ian
12-05-2007, 04:26 PM
“Jericho,” the little CBS drama that could, escaped from the jaws of TV death last season after being canceled and was revived after a huge outpouring of support from fans. It returns with its shortened second season at 10 p.m. (Eastern/Pacific) on Feb. 12. Although it’s only seven episodes, “Jericho” will likely be the first major network show to complete its full 2007-08 season because all the others have been hijacked by the strike. All seven “Jericho” episodes are filmed, edited and ready for air, so it will air without interruption.

:woohoo:

Jen0610
12-07-2007, 10:17 AM
:cloud9: :cloud9: :cloud9:

Can't wait. DH is getting season one for Christmas, so we will be rewatching this before the next season starts.

kakn7294
12-07-2007, 12:21 PM
Thanks Ian! My DH and oldest DD are looking forward to it. I only watched because they hijacked my tv!

Ian
02-12-2008, 11:37 AM
Okay ... this is my last ditch effort to get my fellow INTERCOTees to watch this show.

It returns tonight at 10PM and I CAN'T WAIT!!!

If you didn't watch the first season (shame on you, by the way!) it is available on CBS's website and it's also out on DVD.

Ruprect
02-12-2008, 12:22 PM
My wife just rolls her eyes but I am ready for new Jericho. I even watched some of the early (and not so good) episodes from season one last night on Sci-Fi just to get ready.

BigRedDad
02-12-2008, 01:13 PM
I can't wait for it to start again. DVR is set to record the season again. I have been watching it on UHD the last couple of days.

IloveDisney71
02-12-2008, 01:28 PM
I'm so glad to see it coming back! Me and my youngest DD got hooked on it and were sad when they said it was being pulled.

Ian
02-12-2008, 02:17 PM
Thanks To the Fans, 'Jericho' Returns

LOS ANGELES, California (AP) -- Carol Barbee won't soon forget May 15, 2007 -- the day she received the call that "Jericho" had been canceled. But it was the days that followed, while the show's executive producer was on vacation, that would become TV lore.

"It was getting phone calls telling me that something was up, and that the fans were angry, and it was like, 'Oh that's nice -- that makes me feel good that the fans are angry,' " says Barbee. "My brother was following it on the Internet, and he kept saying, 'No, no Carol, this is like a thing ... they're sending nuts!"'

Make that 40,000 pounds of peanuts. "Three days into my trip, I got an e-mail from (CBS Entertainment president) Nina Tassler saying, 'When you're back in town, we really need to sit down and talk because this is a huge fan revolt, and we want to figure out a way to make them happy.' "

About two weeks later, a second, albeit abbreviated, season of the small town post-apocalyptic drama got the green light. The first of the show's seven new episodes premieres Tuesday (10 p.m. ET).

"I don't think CBS really grasped that the show had a worldwide appeal," said blogtalkradio.com host Shaun Daily of Las Vegas, who is credited with initiating the nuts campaign, an idea he derived from star Skeet Ulrich's often-used expression -- the one-word lament: "Nuts" -- in the season finale.

"I meant for people to send the little packets of peanuts that they have on the airlines," he said, "but then it just blew up."

Fan protest is nothing new to TV executives, nor was this the first time CBS resurrected a show from the dead. In the spring of 1984, the network renewed "Cagney and Lacey" after a summer letter-writing campaign (and a series Emmy win in September 1983).

The nuts campaign, however, was unique. "It was the first time we were able to see an immediate and very engaged and very specific response to a show being canceled," says Tassler. " 'Jericho' was on the crest of what the Internet has come to show us is that you have an audience, the use of viral campaigns and how effective they are."

While numerous fans concede they TiVo "Jericho" or watch online, Tassler says loyalty counts on-air. "We certainly expressed to the fans our need to bring more eyeballs to the broadcast of the show."

"Jericho" did well when it premiered in the fall of 2006, but ratings slipped. Then CBS put it on a three-month hiatus and "it kinda killed us," Barbee says.

But with these episodes, it became about more than ratings or securing another season, "it was incumbent upon us to tell a great story for these people who saved the show," Barbee says.

A humility evident even among the cast on the Burbank set during a taping last September.

"The only reason most of us came back was for the fans," says Ulrich. "We wanted to make episodes for them because they certainly deserved it after all the effort they put in. I couldn't imaging turning tail on them after everything they'd done."

"We got to see the faces behind the forest," says co-star Ashley Scott, who has made appearances with the cast at Comic-Con and chats with devotees on message boards. " 'Jericho' is about people fighting for their lives, people fighting for what they believe in, and that's what the fans did. That's really exciting for me, and (the work) matters a little bit more."

Sacrifices were also made.

"It was different for different people, depending on what their initial contracts were," notes co-star Lennie James, "but everybody, in one way, shape or form, took a pay cut in order to come back to 'Jericho.' "

Not that he's complaining: "Everybody says it, and I've said it before and it's not been true, but it is really true now -- this is a fantastic place to go to work."

In the season opener, the drama picks up where it left off with Jake (Ulrich) and Hawkins (James) in a clash against a rival town, New Bern. The story then moves ahead four weeks after the fracas as a new national government is being established.

"There is also a visible change to the town, physically -- power has been restored, water and electricity are running. There's a brighter, more hopeful look, at least for the first couple of episodes," offers co-executive producer Karim Zreik, touring the Main Street back lot that was minutes from being demolished after the initial cancellation.

Sci Fi Channel will run a four-episode marathon from season one of "Jericho" the day before its second season premiere on CBS. If ratings are good, "Jericho" could be in a unique position for season three, what with the ongoing writer's strike putting the broadcast pilot season in limbo and fewer new developments in the pipeline.

Daily's not taking any chances.

"I've been all over the Internet and on my show trying to keep the fans interested," he says. "If we're going to get a third season, the fans have got to pull it through. It's up to us."

And lots more nuts.

Copyright 2008 The Associated Press. All rights reserved.

brad192
02-12-2008, 02:34 PM
Ooooooh! Finally! Though I wasn't one of the fans who sent nuts, I sure was cheesed off when I heard about the initial cancellation. At least there's SOMETHING new & different to watch tonight. Now if CBS could get us a few new episodes of The Unit, I'd be a very happy man!:)

Ian
02-12-2008, 02:56 PM
I can't stress enough how important it is ... if you're a fan of this show, WATCH IT WHEN IT FIRST AIRS!!!

I know today everyone DVR's shows, or watches them On Demand, or whatever. But it seems like networks haven't picked up on that and they're not counting it into ratings yet. If we want a chance at a Jericho season 3, we have to watch it live on first airing!

Ruprect
02-12-2008, 03:04 PM
I can't stress enough how important it is ... if you're a fan of this show, WATCH IT WHEN IT FIRST AIRS!!!

Isn't that only necessary if you are a Nielsen household?

I know that DVR data is collected at some point and it only counts if you watch within 7 days of first airing.

Either way my TiVo will record it and I will be watching live.

Ian
02-12-2008, 04:19 PM
My understanding is that cable providers also gather viewing data for networks, as well.

I'm not 100% sure how or when it's done, but I've read articles about it. I also know they keep stats on who watches On Demand and stuff, but I don't know that that ever makes it to the networks.

trennedy
02-12-2008, 08:56 PM
Yeah!! I've been waiting for it to return. There is something about it that makes it stand out.

Ian
02-13-2008, 06:45 AM
Did everybody watch?? What did you think??

Melanie
02-13-2008, 06:47 AM
I need to rent Season 1. Man, I love Skeet Ulrich.

Ian
02-13-2008, 08:05 AM
No need to rent, Mel. You can watch all of season one on CBS's website at http://www.cbs.com/primetime/jericho/video/video.php?cid=446407299&cc=0&play=false

MNNHFLTX
02-13-2008, 11:00 AM
I thought it was a good opener, although the idea that Jake would resort (or almost resort)to vigilantism seemed wrong to me. I didn't watch the first season religiously, but it always seemed like he and his father were the moral conscience of the show. I just don't think his father's death would make him snap and go against that--Eric, maybe, but not Jake.

There were people that I missed, like Gail, Dale and Bonnie. But I like the addition of Major Beck--he's an interesting character. And I never have any problem watching Skeet Ulrich in action. :D

Ian
02-13-2008, 11:28 AM
Beth, I agree 100% with everything you said.

I found the "Jake-the-Vigilante" plotline a little out of character for him. I finally decided that we're supposed to assume he's just so shattered over his father's death that he's snapped. I think you saw this play out more at the end of the episode when he came to his senses and went out to stop Eric.

I suspect that Gail and the rest were missing from this episode due to the filming schedule and the way the show was resurrected from the dead. My guess is they had other committments that prevented them from participating in the early filming.

I like Major Beck, too. He should be an interesting component to these few season 2 episodes. But Hawkins is still far and away my favorite. I loved the scene where he just walked out of Jake vigilante planning meeting and read Jake the riot act. That was so in character for him ... excellent!

tinkerbell04
02-13-2008, 12:17 PM
I was so excited to see this show come back, and it surely didn't disappoint. I have been a loyal follower since the beginning! I too am not sure of Jake's role last night, I am anxious too see where they take that plot line. I watch it and DVR it, and then usually watch it again with my DH who falls asleep before it starts :)

Ian
02-13-2008, 02:59 PM
I watch it and DVR it, and then usually watch it again with my DH who falls asleep before it starts :)That's funny ... I DVR'd it,too, and plan on watching it again tonight.

I've also watched most of it again on the web today. ;)

Melanie
02-13-2008, 03:10 PM
No need to rent, Mel. You can watch all of season one on CBS's website at http://www.cbs.com/primetime/jericho/video/video.php?cid=446407299&cc=0&play=false

No, unfortunately I can't. None of the network websites allow viewing outside of the US. :mad:

Ian
02-13-2008, 03:42 PM
No, unfortunately I can't. None of the network websites allow viewing outside of the US. :mad:Yeah, I actually just read that on Wikipedia today, right after I posted that.

Apparently, it has something to do with the writer's guild and the contract they have with the networks as it relates to web content.

That's sort of irritating ... It is out on DVD, though. Amazon has it.

Hammer
02-13-2008, 03:55 PM
Yeah, I actually just read that on Wikipedia today, right after I posted that.

Apparently, it has something to do with the writer's guild and the contract they have with the networks as it relates to web content.

I wonder if that will change with the new WGA agreement in place (as wikipedia isn't always the best place to get accurate information). Of course, it will take time to implement, so it probably won't be ready for this season, but there hopefully will be a solution for you eventually.

Melanie
02-13-2008, 03:56 PM

Sort of irritating? It's extremely irritating! :bang: Only 15 more months!

They've actually got the DVD for rent here. How many episodes are in season 1?

Ian
02-13-2008, 04:02 PM
Sort of irritating? It's extremely irritating! :bang: Only 15 more months!

They've actually got the DVD for rent here. How many episodes are in season 1?Looks like there were 22.

I read somewhere that a lot of the episodes had leaked to the Internet in areas that might be more accessible. Maybe you could try YouTube or something?

Mousefever
02-13-2008, 07:20 PM
I'm a big Jericho fan and I enjoyed watching it last night. My thoughts on the show echo everyone else's. I didn't totally buy the vigilante theme. I really enjoyed Mimi reading the riot act to the woman with the contract. I'm really curious about the blue polo wearing crew. It seems more like weird, FEMA-like cult than a reconstruction team.

I think that the reason I like shows like Jericho is that I've always had a fondness for the "small band of patriotic Americans against the invader" type themes. I loved shows like "Red Dawn" and "V" when I was growing up.

Amy

:dory:

Ian
02-13-2008, 07:29 PM
Me too, Amy. Red Dawn was actually one of my favorite movies as a kid. I still watch it whenever I see it's on cable.

IloveDisney71
02-13-2008, 07:32 PM
... I really enjoyed Mimi reading the riot act to the woman with the contract...

I loved that part too!
And Jake is just too cute! I was so happy he took the position of sheriff. I think that will be very interesting to watch -especially Jake's interactions with the Major.

Ian
02-14-2008, 08:58 AM
And Jake is just too cute! I was so happy he took the position of sheriff. I think that will be very interesting to watch -especially Jake's interactions with the Major. It seemed to me like Gray had a pretty reduced role in this episode. I'm wondering if he might not bow out at some point from being mayor? He seemed very humbled by the way he had to let Johnston take over during the battle with New Bern.

I could see Eric becoming mayor or something. Me personally, though? I'd vote for Hawkins! :thumbsup:

Melanie
02-16-2008, 08:26 PM
Very strange, but I was flipping through the channels last night and came across Skeet's pretty face and realized it was the first episode. I looked it up and they are showing the first season here again. Yay! :thumbsup:

Ian
02-17-2008, 08:39 AM
That is cool, Mel! Now you won't have to bother renting it!

Marker
03-05-2008, 12:45 PM
So I just heard them say there are only 3 more episodes left in this season of Jericho. All I can say is, I hope they don't try to cancel this show again. I think I'm loving it more that season 1.

Ian
03-05-2008, 03:37 PM
I agree Mark, but unfortunately, based on what I've read about the ratings, I suspect this is the end of the road for Jericho.

Unless CBS does something really extraordinary and decides to back it for one more season.

IloveDisney71
03-05-2008, 09:29 PM
Last night's show had me on the edge of my seat!!! I hope they do NOT cancel it again. It's an awesome show!!!

Ian
03-06-2008, 10:44 AM
It is awesome, but I just can't see them doing a 3rd season. They've killed off some key cast members and written out some other ones. I mean Bonnie just got killed, Johnston was killed last season, the Mom is gone ... It's pretty clear they're working up to a series ending, I think.

tinkerbell04
03-06-2008, 11:12 AM
It is awesome, but I just can't see them doing a 3rd season. They've killed off some key cast members and written out some other ones. I mean Bonnie just got killed, Johnston was killed last season, the Mom is gone ... It's pretty clear they're working up to a series ending, I think.

As much as it pains me, I think that you are right Ian. I think that they are working on concluding the series this season.

Ian
03-06-2008, 11:42 AM
One thing I will say, though ... I know for a fact that they filmed two different endings for the series. One as a true finale and one as just a cliffhanger season finale.

So I think these first 6 episodes have to work leading up to either one. It's not a lock that the storylines mean the show is ending, I just don't think the ratings are good enough to keep it around.

Unless, like I said, CBS is willing to buck the trend and let it stick around for one more season and try to really build an audience. I do think they kinda blew it again with the whole scheduling thing. They had all this momentum going from the press coverage of the "NUTS!" campaign and then the ultimate renewal.

So they aired it over the summer, released the DVD, got people excited about it a little bit ... and then they just let it languish on the shelf for like 6 months!! It didn't come back until February and whatever 'mo it had was totally shot.

At least they didn't put it up against American Idol again this year, but even so. The poor show just can't get a flow going because of the way CBS has scheduled it. :mad:

Which is a shame, because it's really great T.V. I think it could be a hit in the same way 24 is a hit. It has that same flow and feel to it.

Marker
03-06-2008, 11:56 AM
I was holding on to hope that with everything else being in reruns because of the strike that it would pick up some viewers.

Ian
03-15-2008, 09:16 PM
I just wanted to say that the last two episodes of this show have been tremendous. Especially the last one!

Honestly, it really frustrates me that this show can't find an audience. The network has just mishandled it so, so badly ... it really deserves better. It's a great show.

Red Randal
03-19-2008, 01:57 PM
Did anybody watch this week? Last season I quipped that the show was going to end with Johnston Green as President of the United States. Who knows, after next week we might not be too far removed from that scenario.

Anyway...I wonder if a Sci-Fi channel pick up or something along those lines would be out of the question. If they scale back the budget some more and focus more on the inter-personal relationships and inner-workings of the town instead of big military shootouts, then it could definately work.

Ian
03-19-2008, 07:08 PM
That rumor has been around for awhile (the SciFi one), but I dunno ... they didn't seem to show any interest after it was cancelled the first time.

Oddly enough, I'm starting to turn around on this a little bit. Now I wouldn't be surprised if CBS did renew. They keep calling this the "season finale" not the series finale and I can't see them doing that if they knew they were going to be airing the final episode version they filmed and not the season two cliffhanger version.

I could be wrong, though.

Edited to add:

Actually, after doing some digging on the 'Net it looks like I am probably wrong. I've seen a few comments from people who allegedly have sources inside CBS who've told them that they're airing the finale ending and not the cliffhanger ending. They claim that the ratings have been so bad (less than 1/2 what CBS wanted for the show) that it's already been decided that it's being cancelled.

Again, though ... CBS put this show on in a lousy slot. For some reason or another, I gotta believe they really didn't want it to succeed. First they mishandled the show's return by leaving so much time between when it had "buzz" and when it returned to the air. Then, when the finally did bring it back, they stuck it in a horrid time slot.

Bummer man ... this is a great, great show. I'm really going to miss it. I just can't figure why it never could build an audience.

Melanie
03-21-2008, 08:20 PM
From E! Online:

Jericho Nuked by CBS

Aw, (pea)nuts.

Despite getting a fan- (and legume-) powered reprieve, CBS has given the heave-ho to Jericho.

The latest—and presumably final—cancellation of the apocalyptic series came Friday, after CBS execs determined the resurrected series had not generated big enough ratings. The season/series finale will air Tuesday night.

"Without question, there are passionate viewers watching this program; we simply wish there were more," said CBS Entertainment President Nina Tassler. "We thank an engaged and spirited fan base for keeping the show alive this long, and an outstanding team of producers, cast and crew that went through creative hoops to deliver a compelling, high-quality second season.

"We have no regrets bringing the show back for a second try. We listened to our viewers, gave the series an opportunity to grow, and the producers put a great story on the screen. We're proud of everyone's efforts."

However, in what's no doubt an attempt to ward off another 25-ton delivery of peanuts to the network's New York and Los Angeles offices, the Hollywood Reporter claims that two potential endings for the series were filmed, and the one chosen for air isn't as definitive as it could have been.

Per the Reporter, the selected ending won't necessarily preclude the series from coming back to the airwaves, albeit on cable, if at all.

Last June, Tassler, in the wake of the enthusiastic peanut-sending campaign that has already gone down in the annals of TV fandom, ordered a seven-episode second season of the show, hailing the overwhelmingly persuasive nature of sending the nuts—an idea borne from a line in the inaugural season's finale—but warned that "for there to be more Jericho, we will need more viewers."

Unfortunately, follow-through doesn't appear to be Jericho fans' strong suit. The show has continually been on the losing end of the Nielsen fight since its relaunch last month.

Jericho averaged 6.8 million viewers through its first six episodes this season (the finale will be the seventh), in the neighborhood of other CBS un-favorites like Viva Laughlin (6.5 million—for one episode) and Welcome to the Captain (6.3 million). Last season, when it got canceled the first time, Jericho averaged 9.2 million for a 23-episode season.

That's a loss of nearly 2.5 million viewers, or 26 percent of its audience. Most every show is down this year, but that's even worse than usual.

Jericho does, however, continue to be a bankable hit online, both as one of CBS' Innertube's most-watched shows and as an iTunes performer. The second-season premiere sold more than 700,000 copies, making it one of iTunes' most downloaded shows.

Ian
03-22-2008, 12:00 PM
Can't say I'm shocked. CBS just mishandled this show from start to finish and it's a real shame, too.

It was one of the only truly good shows left on T.V.

Seasonscraps
03-22-2008, 06:47 PM
I am not really surprised. I find the show/topic very interesting but the writing/acting never really got off the ground imo. But I am glad they have a definitive ending prepared - I want to see how it ends.

In general, I think the 10:00pm time slot is rough for a lot of shows. I always wonder if DVRs/TIVO distorts the ratings.

Ian
03-22-2008, 07:25 PM
That's the big claim of the show's fans.

I have to say, I do know quite a few die-hard fans who watch it on DVR because of the late hour, so there may be some merit to the argument.

sly1
03-22-2008, 07:31 PM
They base ratings off of an outdated neilson ratings system. Doesn't account for today's digital information age. Being one of iTunes top downloads should clue them in. You know if Cheers debuted today it would be cancelled before the end of the season. It got terrible ratings the first 3 seasons and then took off. Its all about the easy way to make a quick buck these days and that is why they keep pushing these awful noncreative unreality shows which I don't watch and can't stand. I hardly watch network tv anymore. I find myself watching a lot of older shows on cable networks. I would estimate we watch the networks less than 5% of the time and it gets lower every year.

Ian
03-22-2008, 08:10 PM
I so totally agree with that. You're 100% right. This show CLEARLY has a fan base and yet, for some bizarre reason, the network can't seem to comprehend that.

Although to be honest I think it's more that they can't figure out a way to exploit it. Advertisers want to see Nielsen ratings. That's what sets ad rates. So for a show as expensive to produce as Jericho, it's key to have a lot of active viewers.

You mention Cheers as a show that would be cancelled today. No doubt. How about these shows, as well ... M*A*S*H, Seinfeld, All in the Family. Many, many classic, legendary T.V. shows started off slowly and built an audience over time.

No one has any patience anymore. It's all about now ... immediate gratification ... very sad and very short-sighted.

Seasonscraps
03-22-2008, 08:53 PM
No one has any patience anymore. It's all about now ... immediate gratification ... very sad and very short-sighted.

This is so true!! Last year, new shows were cancelled after one or two episodes. How on earth can they really determine how well it would do in the ratings when they don't give viewers a chance to get into the show.

Ian
03-22-2008, 10:13 PM
This is so true!! Last year, new shows were cancelled after one or two episodes. How on earth can they really determine how well it would do in the ratings when they don't give viewers a chance to get into the show.I know, right?? I always wonder that ... how the heck can a show be successful in 1 or 2 episodes?? I mean people barely have time to find out the show was even on and they're cancelling it.

Bottom line is I think most networks are really facing declining ratings overall and they're struggling to find anything that can be the next smash hit.

Seasonscraps
03-23-2008, 12:40 AM
Smash hits are so far and few between. Shows are cancelled so quickly and randomly, that I don't even watch that many regular network TV programs. Right now, the only other regular show I watch is Lost and I am hoping Dirty Sexy Money returns in the fall. I don't want to invest the time getting caught up in a show that will most likely not have an ending.

So while the networks need to have certain ratings to satisfy their advertisers, pay the bills and generate some sort of income, they are alienating viewers which in turn costs them advertisers which leads to more program changes and so on.

1DisneyNut
03-24-2008, 10:24 AM
I also agree. We very rarely watch network tv anymore. I have been frustrated too many times by a show I was interested in being canceled during or after the very first season. They are constantly losing viewership to cable networks and its this is the biggest reason for it in my opinion. If they continue the way they are going network tv as we have known it will not exist in another ten years. I agree the nielson rating system is outdated and should be canned. Being one of the top downloaded shows says something its too bad the program directors are too far behind the times to see it. Another show this brings to mind is Baywatch. It was canceled but David Haselhoff was determined to keep it going. Needless to say it payed off big time for him. Maybe one of the cable networks will realize the potential in picking up more of these canceled shows and keeping them going long enough to build a fan base. I think there is potential for someone to hit it big in this market. How many times have you heard people say there isn't anything worth watching on tv anymore in the past several years? lol

Ian
03-26-2008, 06:28 AM
Loved the series finale last night, but I'm gonna miss this show.

IloveDisney71
03-26-2008, 08:24 AM
Loved the series finale last night, but I'm gonna miss this show.

I totally agree! I thought the finale was great. This was one of my "must watch" shows every week. I wish a cable network would pick this series up. There is still a lot that they could do with this show.

Ian
03-26-2008, 09:42 AM
I totally agree! I thought the finale was great. This was one of my "must watch" shows every week. I wish a cable network would pick this series up. There is still a lot that they could do with this show.Yeah, I'd love to see it go to Showtime or HBO. I'd totally re-subscribe to Showtime to get access to more Jericho!

MNNHFLTX
03-26-2008, 10:18 AM
I wish a cable network would pick this series up. There is still a lot that they could do with this show.I wouldn't totally rule that out, especially if the ratings were high enough at the end. Maybe the SciFi channel or something will pick it up. They played the finale out so that the storyline could continue, if necessary. Very interesting premise--on the brink of a modern American civil war, but with hope on the horizon too.

DizneyFanz
03-26-2008, 06:10 PM
I really enjoyed Jericho as well but I have to tell you, I'll be glad not to see that upside down American flag anymore. It creeped me out!

But really, I'll miss the show even though I did like it much more the first year.

Ian
03-26-2008, 07:02 PM
But come on, though ... you had to love that ending with Gray Anderson flying Johnston's "Don't Tread On Me" flag, right??

MushuMulan
03-26-2008, 07:44 PM
The ending, especially with the "Texas Air Guard" kind of made me be proud to be a Texan.

I hope they continue this though at some point, because it would really be interesting to see Jericho played out on a more international scale now.

IloveDisney71
03-26-2008, 08:06 PM
But come on, though ... you had to love that ending with Gray Anderson flying Johnston's "Don't Tread On Me" flag, right??

I LOVED THAT!!!:thumbsup:

Ian
03-27-2008, 08:04 AM
I keep hearing mixed stories on what's going on. Some people claim that Sci Fi has already passed on the show and others say that Carol Barbee and the rest of the producers are in active talks with both Sci Fi and the CW about picking up the show.

So who knows ... at this point it's all really random gossip and speculation, although I am kinda surprised that, after CBS/Paramount talked openly about shopping the show around to other outlets, Carol hasn't really said anything public yet about how it's going. That's probably not a good sign.

MNNHFLTX
03-27-2008, 05:34 PM
They revived the show before, maybe we'll get lucky and they'll revive it again. CW would be a good fit. Goodness knows it's a lot more interesting than some of the other stuff they're running out there (is anyone even watching Smallville anymore? Please don't hate me if you're a Smallville fan, lol!) ;)