PDA

View Full Version : I am really sick of winter

Flower
03-05-2008, 10:59 AM
This winter it has just been driving me crazy. :snowball:

I have 2 little ones and totally feel housebound because it has been cool/windy :freeze:. It started snowing again last night and has not let up.

I can't let the kids outside to play either. We have a dog and he 'goes' in the backyard. Well, our neighbors have 2 dogs and they let them 'go' in the front yard, so because of this I have to travel to a park to let the kids play - I don't think that it is fair I can't use my own front lawn, but what's done is done and not much can be done about it now.

Today I was outside shoveling the driveway and I literally started crying because it is just so depressing. No, I don't think I am depressed and need medication - I need winter to let up! I am just sick of being housebound.

I am also a bit ticked off that my in-laws offered us their snowblower because they winter in Florida now and no longer need it. My response was great! Can we store it in your garage until winter gets here...no problem they said. Well, the next thing we know they are asking DH to help them load the snow blower into their van so they can take it to DH's brother...what???? So now the snowblower is 1.5 hours away. :mad:

I can't take a vacation, we just got back from Florida in January (seems so long ago). Just as a slap I finally got one of the Disney 40% off codes emailed to me today....Maybe I will just hit a tanning bed and take a :marg: with me!

Sorry, I just needed to vent....I am obviously NOT a winter person. I guess I should go work on the driveway some more....:(

Tick-Tock
03-05-2008, 11:05 AM
I'm so sorry that you're feeling down!

Can you take the kids to an indoor play area to let them blow off some steam? How about a little down time for yourself when your DH or a babysitter is available - perhaps a massage or a pedicure will help cheer you up a bit, for a lot less than another vacation.

MsMin
03-05-2008, 11:13 AM
Sending sunshine :sun:and :pixie: I hope it helps to know that spring is on it's way. I saw my first robin on Sunday and the flowers are in bloom down here so it's coming-- I know not soon enough :(

Flower
03-05-2008, 11:25 AM
I'm so sorry that you're feeling down!

Can you take the kids to an indoor play area to let them blow off some steam? How about a little down time for yourself when your DH or a babysitter is available - perhaps a massage or a pedicure will help cheer you up a bit, for a lot less than another vacation.

Oh we do tons of indoor stuff, yesterday we went swimming, tomorrow we are going to an indoor play center - I just don't want to be indoors! Sorry - I'm whining!!!

caryrae
03-05-2008, 12:02 PM
I here ya. I live in Minnesota and it has been a pretty cold winter. The temp goes up then down. We had a couple days in the upper 30's then it is going back down to the teens. I heard that this has been the snowiest January for the northern hemishpere. Here is part of the story:

A big surge of snow in many parts of the Northern Hemisphere in the last half of January resulted in January being the snowiest for the northern hemisphere since satellite records began in 1966. Extensive snow cover in mid to late winter, something lacking in most recent years, often means colder than normal temperatures for late winter and a delayed spring

gauvin4
03-05-2008, 12:16 PM
I know how you feel!! We are getting another mix of snow and freezing rain here in Maine. :thedolls: I am ready for spring, but I do not see it coming anytime soon! :( We are having a record winter here.

laprana
03-05-2008, 12:26 PM
I totally hear ya! I usually like winter and the cold, but this winter feels like it has been going on forever! Just yesterday we got about a foot of snow, and we're supposed to be getting a little more tonight and again on Friday. I'm so sick of shoveling snow!! :snowball: I'll be so glad when spring finally gets here...or at least when it's warm enough that it won't snow anymore! :thumbsup: Hang in there!

busterthebronco
03-05-2008, 12:39 PM
i got the fever bad.
weve started baseball here and the pop of the mitt and ting of the bat just sends chills down my spine!
songbirds are everywhere here.
only problem my grass is starting to turn green
so i gotta get the lawn mower out and see if it'll still crank.
hang in there!
i allways remember about march - "in like a lion, out like a lamb":pick:

ibelieveindisneymagic
03-05-2008, 12:49 PM
I know how you feel! I have shovelled and cleaned-off my car enough for two winters! (and I usually love the winter).

I can't believe how many days the kids have had off from school (mine is school aged)! It is crazy this winter; I keep wondering if they are going to start wanting to add days to the school calendar since they've missed so many.

Just remember, summer will come to Ontario, it really will!

Flower
03-05-2008, 01:01 PM
We have one of the big heaters in the garage...I am tempted to stick it on the driveway with an extension cord and let it melt the snow just so I don't have to shovel anymore! But then, there is that whole electrical/water thing that they say just don't mix!!!

This seriously is one of the longest winters in a long time that I can remember. March break is next week and in so many years past the ground has been wet, but no snow and the kids can ride their bikes...I am cynical of that happening this year!

OhToodles!
03-05-2008, 01:33 PM
I'm sick of winter too. Yesterday it snowed a foot in some parts - they said it's the worst snow in March since 1912 for the St. Louis area. We had a taste over the weekend - it was in the 70s on Sunday. Yes, that's right - 70s on Sunday and then 2 days later a foot of snow! Gotta love the midwest weather.

Spring: please come quick!!!

thrillme
03-05-2008, 01:45 PM
I have a GREAT idea. Why don't all ya'lls Northerners go outside at the same time and BLOW really hard in the direction of TEXAS.

Today it's a bit chilly (somewhere in the 60's) but for most of the winter we've had nothing but "Mary Poppin's days". I don't like driving in snow or slush but I sure do like weekends filled with it :cloud9:.

I always think about the comic tale of the Southerner moves North.

Starts out with the fella enjoying a cottail by the roaring fire as a gentle snow fell outside...Next day he shovels his walk only to be followed by the snow removal guy who "accidentally" blows snow from the street back onto his driveway..."Aw shucks...we know he didn't mean it"...Needless to say the story gradually turns less "whimsical" as time goes on.

If you google "Southerner Moves North"...I'm sure you can find the whole story. It's pretty cute.

Magic Smiles
03-05-2008, 02:14 PM

We have had so much snow today on top of the freezing rain and snow from Monday that we can't even drive on our street. I had to go out this morning to get gas for the snowblower - DH didn't yesterday, even though he knew this HUGE snowfall was coming and that we needed gas for the snowblower.
Our car is now stuck at the end of the driveway as we have too much snow and a wonderful coating of ice underneath the snow. Looked out our window about an hour ago and there were an additional 3 cars stuck at the end of our driveway on the road in the snow. And it is STILL snowing like crazy out there. I would usually be at work today, but just couldn't drag myself out of bed this morning to travel to work in yet another snow storm. Our weather forecast doesn't look to good either for the next few days. More snow Friday and Saturday. Our snow banks at the sides of our driveway are at least 6 feet high now. Heard on the radio this morning that this winter could be the second greatest snowfall for the Ottawa area in history.
Please spring come soon and give us a beautiful hot sunny :sun:summer - our pool is awaiting! :diver:

Flower
03-05-2008, 07:53 PM
My wonderful husband just brought me home the most beautiful bouquet of tulips! It definitely brightened my day!

offwego
03-05-2008, 08:41 PM
Now that is sweet.

Perhaps planning some gardening stuff would help? That's what I've been doing.

caryrae
03-07-2008, 10:13 AM
C'mon it's 5 below zero now, enough already.:mad: