PDA

View Full Version : Very interesting list of prohibited items for Parks.

caryrae
03-05-2008, 10:21 AM
I found this interesting, mostly those shoes with the wheels built-in seeing as how popular they are with kids. I wonder what Disney would do if a kid came in with those shoes?

Prohibited Items

The following are not allowed to be brought into the Disney Theme Parks:

Items with wheels, such as wagons, skateboards, scooters, inline skates, shoes with built-in wheels, two-wheeled or three-wheeled conveyances, strollers larger than 36" x 52", suitcases, coolers, or backpacks with or without wheels larger than 24" long x 15" wide x 18" high (coolers required for medication may be stored in a locker or at Guest Relations), and any trailer-like object that is pushed or towed by an ECV wheelchair or stroller
Alcoholic beverages
Weapons of any kind
Folding chairs
Glass containers (excluding baby food jars and perfume bottles)
Pets (unless they are service animals)
In Disney's Animal Kingdom Theme Park (for the safety of the wildlife), balloons, straws and drink lids are not permitted. Note: they now have biodegradable paper straws.

JPL
03-05-2008, 10:28 AM
The Heelys are not suppose to be allowed in the parks but Disney doesn't seem to enforce this rule since I have seen many kids wearing them and CM not saying a word. I have even seen a few kids roll up to bag check security at the front of the park and the security not say anything either. :shake:

GrumpyFan
03-05-2008, 10:29 AM
I can understand their reasoning for this. It's a safety issue for both the individual as well as the other guests.

caryrae
03-05-2008, 10:33 AM
I can understand their reasoning for this. It's a safety issue for both the individual as well as the other guests.

I for one am glad they don't allow them. Some of those kids with those shoes can be dangerous for sure but as we all know Disney seems to have a problem enforcing some of their rules sometimes.

Flower
03-05-2008, 10:47 AM
Our last 2 trips there were kids with Heelys on all over the place, in fact in January they were a sponsor at the Marathon and had a HUGE display set up at Wide World of Sports and did demos before the start of the kids race.

bleukarma
03-05-2008, 10:52 AM
I'm surprised they don't add Segway to the list, just to cover themselves after the lawsuit.

Hellies is another thing that should be enforced but isn't. One of these days those things are really going to hurt someone, if they haven't already.

caryrae
03-05-2008, 10:56 AM
I'm surprised they don't add Segway to the list, just to cover themselves after the lawsuit.

Is that what they mean by two-wheeled or three-wheeled conveyances. Don't know what a conveyances is?

I guess this is one of the meanings of conveyances,

"a vehicle or other means of transportation"

So I guess that covers Segways.

JPL
03-05-2008, 10:57 AM
I believe they cover Segways under 2 wheeled Conveyance without saying their actual name since they are a sponsor notice they didn't mantion Heelys by brand either ;)

Quasimodo
03-05-2008, 10:59 AM
My daughter has a pair of those wheeled shoes. I personally hate them and was not in favor of my wife buying them for her. But they were promised to her by my wife if she made good grades. Which she did.

My daughter convinced my wife to let her wear them in EPCOT last year. My daughter's argument was, "I see other kids skating on heelys every time we go." I told both of them that I had heard that it was illegal to skate in the parks and that we could get ticketed and fined. But neither of them listened to me. I didn't want to have a fight while at WDW , so I caved. Anyway, she tried rolling on them in Canada and a Canada CM at the gift cart yelled at her "No Skating!". We were all embarrassed and that put an end to it right there. :D At least in the parks. I got to throw out an "I told you so!" to both of them. :thedolls:

I really hate those shoes.

dolphinmickey9170
03-05-2008, 11:01 AM

Items with wheels, such as wagons, skateboards, scooters, inline skates, shoes with built-in wheels, two-wheeled or three-wheeled conveyances, strollers larger than 36" x 52", suitcases, coolers, or backpacks with or without wheels larger than 24" long x 15" wide x 18" high (coolers required for medication may be stored in a locker or at Guest Relations), and any trailer-like object that is pushed or towed by an ECV wheelchair or stroller
Alcoholic beverages
Weapons of any kind
Folding chairs
Glass containers (excluding baby food jars and perfume bottles)
Pets (unless they are service animals)
In Disney's Animal Kingdom Theme Park (for the safety of the wildlife), balloons, straws and drink lids are not permitted. Note: they now have biodegradable paper straws.

The two wheeled item would cover the segway.

As for glass baby food jars, I took them in everyday last year and no one ever said a word. The security person could feel the glass jar and I just told them it was baby food jars. They said, "okay, baby's gotta eat too" and that was that.

I did, however, see a lot of folks with the small wheeled sof sided coolers and they were allowed in as well. They seem pretty lax with their rules. With the exception of the weapons and alcohol. There were a lot of children with the wheeled shoes as well. So, who knows. I guess it all depends on the mood of the security person you get that day.

bleukarma
03-05-2008, 11:01 AM
I believe they cover Segways under 2 wheeled Conveyance without saying their actual name since they are a sponsor notice they didn't mantion Heelys by brand either ;)

Oh, I didn't know what conveyance meant either! :blush: Makes sense!

caryrae
03-05-2008, 11:09 AM
As for glass baby food jars, I took them in everyday last year and no one ever said a word. The security person could feel the glass jar and I just told them it was baby food jars. They said, "okay, baby's gotta eat too" and that was that.

Baby food jars and perfume bottles are excluded. So they are ok to bring in.

Marilyn Michetti
03-05-2008, 11:12 AM
My ECV is three wheeled. Is that a banned conveyance? Disney's are all four wheeled.

Just a dumb point - isn't a wheelchair two wheeled?:confused:

Marilyn Michetti
03-05-2008, 11:14 AM
Oops, that really was dumb. Wheelchairs have four wheels:blush: I can't believe I said that!:-o

Quasimodo
03-05-2008, 11:20 AM
caryrae,

Where did you find this list? Is it posted somewhere on an official Disney website?

Von-Drake
03-05-2008, 11:28 AM
I really do not like those skate shoes either. I dread the day my son ask me for a pair "because everyone else has them". I have seen children run into people out the outlet mall near where I live and even in the mall. Of course in the mall I did see one get chased by a security guard... not sure if he caught him or not.

caryrae
03-05-2008, 11:36 AM
caryrae,

Where did you find this list? Is it posted somewhere on an official Disney website?

It was from another popular unofficial disney website.

I just looked at the official disney website and the list is exactly the same. Click here (http://disneyworld.disney.go.com/wdw/common/helpFAQ?id=HelpFAQThemeParkPage&bhcp=1)
list is at very bottom.

disneymom15
03-05-2008, 12:27 PM
I've seen CM's tell the kids to put the wheels up.
One kid had to be told twice.

Quasimodo
03-05-2008, 12:55 PM
It was from another popular unofficial disney website.

I just looked at the official disney website and the list is exactly the same. Click here (http://disneyworld.disney.go.com/wdw/common/helpFAQ?id=HelpFAQThemeParkPage&bhcp=1)
list is at very bottom.

Thanks!

FlaTinkRAMESAM
03-05-2008, 01:06 PM
I, too, hate those stupid wheeled shoes... OMG. I have been hit TWICE by kids going way to fast and not stopping in crowds of people. My daughter has been run over once as well. They both fell over and my Emmy, crazy wild women that she is, got up and hit the boy. hard... :blush: I scolded her and the other mom yelled at her. I yelled at the mom about the boy not watching where he was going. Plus, this kid was about 10 and my DD is 3. I told her that hitting is wrong under any circumstance and she goes "he hit me first." goodness goodness. Luckily Emmy is seriously resilient so the little scrape she got wasn't a big deal to her.

Both times I got run into, I just glared. Not once did I get an apology from parent or child. Ugh. I'm sorry, but in those types of crowd, those kind of shoes are just a major hazard.

Jared
03-05-2008, 01:18 PM
I'm glad those wheeled shoes are banned in the parks, as they are at the schools in my district. They are fun, and I would buy a pair for my non-existent children, but they are inappropriate for public places. Too often, kids rolling out of control ram into another person, a tree or a lamppost.

TheMartellFamily
03-05-2008, 02:42 PM
I have seen them and to say the least I hate them. I have been run into and I have informed them that there are rules against the rules. They just look at you like I am the stupid one. Go figure. The most stupid thing I have seen were two kids (age about 7 and 9) did not want to roll anymore so mom had to pull them around the park. Can you see I really, really, really hate them. I know it is such a harsh word but I can not sugar coat it.

BandMan
03-05-2008, 05:05 PM
I really do not like those skate shoes either. I dread the day my son ask me for a pair "because everyone else has them".

I have the perfect answer:

no

:D

kdsjjb
03-06-2008, 10:53 AM
I have the perfect answer:

no

:D

That answer worked amazingly well for my three.

Tina3176
03-06-2008, 02:32 PM
But y'all, Heeleys really are fun. I can wear my daughters size so I have tried them out. I totally agree they should not be allowed in the parks, or in stores and such. But I have to admit they are fun!

valjane
03-06-2008, 03:26 PM
I have seen a CM tell a child to stop rolling around in his heelys and then tell the mom that she needed to take the wheels out.

She just looked at the CM, took the child's hand, and walked away. No apology or anything!

mickey&missy
03-06-2008, 03:35 PM
I hate those shoes! I'm glad they ban them! They should enforce the rule, whats the point in having it if it's not enforced?

There are always kids in the grocery store, mall, etc with them. The kids never look were their going! It's an accident waiting to happen!

My kids will NEVER have those shoes! I wonder how many people have been hurt because of them, either wearing them or being run over by a kid with them.

snerd475
03-06-2008, 05:22 PM
Wow! Some serious anger here over heelys.

My daughter (9) has them, wears them, gets told on occasion that she can't roll on them, so she stops.

HOWEVER, she is always holding my hand all through the parks, and if we are in a hurry, it's much easier to pull her on wheels than have her run or walk and try to keep up with me. If we see a CM, she walks.

Don't give me a hard time about this. I KNOW other kids are disrespectful, but my dd has never run into anyone, as I am militant about her being careful. If she ever did, I'd ban them myself.
So, there are exceptions.

caryrae
03-06-2008, 05:45 PM

My daughter (9) has them, wears them, gets told on occasion that she can't roll on them, so she stops.

HOWEVER, she is always holding my hand all through the parks, and if we are in a hurry, it's much easier to pull her on wheels than have her run or walk and try to keep up with me. If we see a CM, she walks.

Don't give me a hard time about this. I KNOW other kids are disrespectful, but my dd has never run into anyone, as I am militant about her being careful. If she ever did, I'd ban them myself.

Actually there are no exceptions. The rules say they are not allowed in the parks even though your daughter is very careful. Or when you say there are exceptions your talking in general and not in the parks?

Quasimodo
03-06-2008, 05:48 PM

snerd475,

I said earlier that I hate the heelys my daughter has. She is also 9 by the way! But my wife and I do the same thing you do. We are very strict about where she can roll on them. I fuss at her a lot to not roll too far away from us. And we never let her roll around other people. I will also pull her along like you do sometimes.

snerd475
03-06-2008, 06:05 PM
Actually there are no exceptions. The rules say they are not allowed in the parks even though your daughter is very careful. Or when you say there are exceptions your talking in general and not in the parks?

What I meant was, there are exceptions to the kids who run into people. I KNOW there are rules. But, thank you!

snerd475,

I said earlier that I hate the heelys my daughter has. She is also 9 by the way! But my wife and I do the same thing you do. We are very strict about where she can roll on them. I fuss at her a lot to not roll too far away from us. And we never let her roll around other people. I will also pull her along like you do sometimes.

Ah, a little understanding, for a change! Thanks!

caryrae
03-06-2008, 06:20 PM
What I meant was, there are exceptions to the kids who run into people. I KNOW there are rules. But, thank you!

After I thought about it, that's what I thought you meant. Sorry for the misunderstanding.:blush:

teambricker04
03-06-2008, 08:23 PM
Okay, so heelys are annoying, but they do look like fun. I used to rollerskate when I was a kid, but I didn't wear them everywhere we went.

ANYHOO!!! There are size restrictions to strollers?!?!? I feel like I have a giant double stroller and I would be horrified to measure it and find out it was too big! YIKES! Maybe I should measure. I was thinking that a wagon would be the way to go, but I guess not. Have I seen them in Disney? I think so. I know I have seen coolers and people drinking.

Quasimodo
03-06-2008, 08:44 PM
I wouldn't worry about your stroller. I have never seen them try to measure one. As long it isn't obnoxiously gigantic, I don't think the CMs are going to tell you that you can't bring it in. I have seen many of the double wides in the parks. I'm talking about the personal ones. Not the Disney double wides.

snerd475
03-06-2008, 08:48 PM
After I thought about it, that's what I thought you meant. Sorry for the misunderstanding.:blush:

No worries! It's all good, mate! :hands:

Yano
03-07-2008, 01:14 AM
its funny that about a year and a half I asked if it is ok to wear the heelys to the parks and I got way too many negative replies. :(
it was an innocent question but anyway. In the end I told the kids that no, they cannot wear them in the park. they were not happy when they saw that half of the kids were wearing them. but I told them that It was for their safety and the safety of others:thumbsup:
but I’m glad that now they both think that the heelys are "so yesterday" as my DD11 whould say.
so when we are there in 11 days there will be no heelys for us.

:flower:

Mousefever
03-07-2008, 01:44 AM
Oops, that really was dumb. Wheelchairs have four wheels:blush: I can't believe I said that!:-o

Oh my gosh, I can. :rolleyes: The people they let on these boards...

Seriously Marilyn, you better watch out. My sister-in-law is moving to Mesa, and if we visit her I'm looking you up! You are so funny, and I love reading your posts.

My son has Heelys, but he could never get the hang of balancing on them, and has never worn them out of the driveway. I'm sure he's grown out of them by now. Regardless, if it's against Disney rules, he wouldn't be wearing them in the park. I don't always follow every rule on every occasion, but I certainly do when other people could be inconvenienced or harmed.

Amy

:dory:

valjane
03-07-2008, 09:34 AM

The problem with this line of thinking is that just about every parent thinks "not my kid!"

All parents need to follow the rules, even if it's less convenient to do so.

When I was a child, my parents managed me just fine in the parks and I wasn't wearing my roller skates.

Quasimodo
03-07-2008, 10:22 AM
I agree with you valjane about following the rules. Even though my DD has heelys, she will not be allowed to wear them in the parks again. I wasn't happy about it when she did it the first time. But as I said before, I didn't want to have a family argument at WDW. The CM that yelled at my daughter made my point for me.

I don't want to be one of those parents that thinks "not my kid!" either. Every time she rolls on those shoes I cringe. I look around to see if she is bothering anyone. I really do try to keep her restrained. My wife usually does too. Although she is less strict about it than I am.

BTW, my wife's name is Valerie too! We live in Lawrenceville in Gwinnett county.