PDA

View Full Version : Work from home

IloveJack
03-04-2008, 03:17 PM
Do any of you work from home, and if so, what do you do, and who do you work for?

I'm a mom-to-be and it's looking very much like I'm going to be staying home once the baby arrives. (The daycares in our area cost almost as much as I make, i.e. the cost of daycare, plus the extra vehicle to get us there, plus the gas money, are well over half of my paycheck). However, I'm not sure how long we can make it on just DH's paycheck. I'm looking for good, reliable work-from-home opportunities, but I don't want to get swindled by the ads on the internet.

Any first/second hand experiences you'd like to relate?

Dakota Rose
03-04-2008, 03:40 PM
My DH has his own business so when I'm not doing bookkeeping for him, I sell Avon. I'm a SAHM with DSalmost4 and baby due in July. I started selling when I was 6 mos pregnant with DS knowing I was going to quit work when he was born. I don't do it full time, but I make a few hundred dollars a month, sometimes more, sometimes less. I know a SAHM in town who sells $20k+ of product a year, plus has other reps in her downline, so she's making $1000+ every month.

There are a lot of direct selling companies out there, with lots of opportunities to make money while staying home.

If direct selling isn't for you, I have a friend who does consulting from home and another who does web design. Another friend substitute teaches. A lot of SAHMs I know offer childcare for a child the same age as their own. My mom used to run errands and do shopping for elderly and home-bound people.

I hope that gets you thinking! :) Good luck!

ncscgirl2005
03-04-2008, 04:47 PM
Hi Dakota Rose. Just sent you a PM.

To the OP, I didn't mean to jack your thread. I sympathize with you. The costs of daycare for a newborn + the afterschool care fees for DDs is one of the main reasons why I haven't had another kid. My old neighbor worked for Blue Cross/Blue Shield from home. I think she processed claims or something to that effect. I know several other people that work for insurance companies from home. Also, if you're up for the typing, you can take some medical transcription courses. I think they offer these (but I'm not entirely sure) online now. Avon, I've heard, is another good route to go. Good Luck.

ElenitaB
03-04-2008, 05:14 PM
I have a "flex-place" flexible work arrangement (FWA) with my employer which only became formal this past week, even though I've been working from home since December of 2005 (my own fault for not submitting the paperwork). I am a writer/web designer for a Big 4 accounting firm, a role which easily lends itself to this type of flexibility.

There are a few ground rules that I've discovered along the way, for effectively working from home:

Working from home is great if you have an entrepeneurial spirit and are a self-starter.
You will need childcare for your (young) children during working hours (this actually is stipulated on our forms for requesting an FWA).
Your friends and family need to know that your working hours are working hours (you're not available to watch their kids or even sit and have coffee... the guidelines are they should treat the time you're working at home just like they would approach you when at an office).
As tempting as it is, I do my best (99.5% of the time) to also treat my time working at home as if I was working in the office: I don't do laundry, I don't cook (unless it's to peak into the slow cooker), etc.
You should have as many elements of the technology you'll need to work from home in place: fax machine (or faxing capabilities), printer, high-speed (and secure) internet connection, etc. While I have a home machine, my employer supplies us with laptops.
Be open to forming virtual relationships. You won't be in the office to "make friends." Actually, being here on INTERCOT is great training for that aspect. (Who knew this would help you beyond getting a Disney fix? ;) )
The flexibility you receive by working at home is a two-way street. There are times where you will have to go into the office (important meetings, orientation, etc.)

I hope I haven't scared you in any way. This is my second time working from home. As I've had health issues, it has enabled me to continue earning a living. Otherwise, who knows what I would have done.

dismommy
03-04-2008, 08:12 PM
There is a company that had been features on Good Morning America several times called Alpine Access, they are on the web google then. They hire home based telephone reps to take catalog orders. All you need, high speed internet, hard wired phone and telephone head set (can get at Wal Mart) you apply online train online but are there employee. I had applied but got sick and could not begin training. No fee and you are there employee just like your old job.

SBETigg
03-04-2008, 08:37 PM
I work from home but I have no benefits, no job security. I write books. When I can sell them, great, especially when it is in multibook contracts, but there is a lot of downtime and rejection (oh, the rejection!). :blush:

Elenita, excellent work from home advice! Some of my family has absolutely no respect for my working hours and that makes it hard. I needed to be firmer on this issue from the start. Live and learn.

merlinmagic4
03-04-2008, 09:19 PM
Ebay is a great way to earn a little (or a lot) of extra cash from home. There's a thread in here somewhere that talks a lot about it. It's paying for my vacations to Disney! :mickey:

minnie-mouse
03-05-2008, 09:37 AM
Have you thought about watching a few other children in your own home, a home daycare? We have many in our neighborhood, it is good money, and provides your children with playmates everyday. Just a thought.

MsMin
03-05-2008, 10:13 AM
I work from home but I have no benefits, no job security. I write books. When I can sell them, great, especially when it is in multibook contracts, but there is a lot of downtime and rejection (oh, the rejection!). :blush:
Elenita, excellent work from home advice! Some of my family has absolutely no respect for my working hours and that makes it hard. I needed to be firmer on this issue from the start. Live and learn.

:rotfl: I love when my kids come home and say what did you do all day???? I agree-- Ellen that is great advice. You have to set a time to work and stick to it and don't try to multi-task. Much of what I do is on the computer so it's easy to work from home. In fact with the University and some other settings I've worked in they don't have the dedicated space to do what I do.
I've been able to do psychometrics at home -- not applied of course but running stats and working on the development of psychological testing.
Be careful of what you get involved with. There are so many "pyramid schemes" out there that are difficult b/c you really are just selling the program instead of the product. Good luck...