PDA

View Full Version : fridge for insulin

nursetinkerbell04
03-04-2008, 01:46 PM
My family and I are staying at All Star Movies in December and my dad is an insulin dependent diabetic. Will they provide a fridge for him to keep his medicine in, or is the only way to get one is to pay the extra money a night?

Disneyatic
03-04-2008, 02:53 PM
If it is for a medical necessity they will provide a fridge free of charge. It may be one of those small ones that just fits medicine.

IloveDisney71
03-04-2008, 03:10 PM
I stayed at POP with someone who needed to keep their insulin in a refrigerator. I explained that when I booked the room and they said because it was for medical reasons there would be no charge.
When we checked out they had mistakenly added the cost of the frig. to our bill but when I called down to the front desk they removed the charge with no problems.

Strmchsr
03-04-2008, 03:21 PM
As said above, please do keep in mind that this is a little medical fridge, not one of the big ones you can keep a lot of drinks, etc in. Be sure the fridge need is noted on the reservation so that you don't run the risk of missing out. Also, if you arrive before your room is ready be sure you have the insulin stored in something that you can give to the baggage folks. They will go ahead and put the insulin in their fridge with your name on it and you can stop by to pick it up later. That way you don't run the risk of the insulin getting warm while you're at the park or waiting on your room to be ready.

nursetinkerbell04
03-04-2008, 03:29 PM
thanks for the great info!!

disneydeb
03-04-2008, 09:35 PM
I requested a fridge for insulin on my ressie for last October . It took two phone calls after I got there, but I got a dorm fridge that we also kept some drinks in. I don't know if we got lucky or not.:thumbsup:

MsMin
03-05-2008, 10:38 AM
When I was with my dad we traveled with a cooler. I also use those little cold packs so that when we travel we keep it cool in the car or in storage when we are there. My dad preferred to eat breakfast close to the resort so he could go back to the room and take his insulin injection after eating. He didn't want to run the risk of taking it early and having to wait a long time to eat, especially b/c his sugar is lower upon waking. In the evening he would take it before eating sometimes but it depended on the schedule. He didn't want to take needles into the park and worry about disposing sharps ( plus he likes my mom to do it b/c he doesn't like to give himself the injection).
Everyone is off schedule and things are different so it helps to remember to plan ahead so you don't have to run back to the room.

IloveDisney71
03-05-2008, 09:37 PM
I requested a fridge for insulin on my ressie for last October . It took two phone calls after I got there, but I got a dorm fridge that we also kept some drinks in. I don't know if we got lucky or not.:thumbsup:

That is the same size we got when we requested one. We had to make one phone call and it arrived in about 10 minutes. I was impressed by that.

adoptionislove
03-05-2008, 10:52 PM
We also got one free of charge when we stayed at Pop. It was the dorm size one and the insulin and my husband did great!!!

swampfox28
03-05-2008, 11:11 PM
I'm hoping we can get one free of charge, too.

If it's small, it doesn't really matter, but I must admit I was hoping for a larger/dorm one (can't hurt crossing my fingers, can it?)

I'm on thyroid (natural hormone) therapy and need one. I told my travel planner and she told me that I may or may not be charged depending on what the resort decides (!) I was a little surprised to hear that - does anyone know if the resort often decides NOT to grant a fridge at no cost when there's a medical reason?

We'll be staying at Pop. If we were going to be at a Mod (like POFQ) I wouldn't worry, because it'd be in the room as a standard feature. This trip, however, is on a shoestring and I'm hoping not to have to pay for the fridge!!

-Sarah

adoptionislove
03-06-2008, 03:41 PM
You should NOT be charged for it!

When we were at check in (at POP) we told them a fridge was needed for the insulin and they did not charge us.

You could always call in advance to inquire about it!

Michelle

Davyjones
03-06-2008, 04:00 PM
My wife and I stayed at the Pop in 2006. I am a diabetic, so when we booked there, we asked if we could get a fridge for my insulin. They told us that they could get us a medical fridge and there would be no charge for it. When we checked in, we were told the fridge would be there shortly. So, we got to the room and very soon after, the fridge was delivered. It was a dorm fridge! I was surprised that it wasn't a smaller one, but I was happy because I was able to keep the juice that I keep around in case of low sugars cold. I greatly appreciated that! And there was no charge. :)

I'm sure this is what will happen in your case too. :mickey: