PDA

View Full Version : Need To Vent About DH's Job

MMouse6937
03-04-2008, 12:36 PM
Hello all, my DH's job is really driving me crazy and I needed to vent I guess to someone other than him :mad:

I have said here before that he's the service manager for a motorcycle dealership here in town. They obviously have a somewhat slow winter season depending on how the weather is. This year and last year have been rough. We have made ends meet but sometimes barely. Once spring and summer come, things get better and we're able to save and pay things off. Meanwhile his boss is a huge spender. His wife stays home with their two kids, buys furniture and goes shopping all day. He has extravegant tastes and buys hundreds of dollars on things on Ebay, they live in an extravegant home in the mountains, etc.

The problem is that my DH hardly ever knows when/if he's getting paid, when in the day he might get his check, if there will be money at the bosses bank to cash the check, etc. The managers have been told that there's no money, the business is out of money, they better makes some money so that people don't get laid off, etc.

Case in point was this weekend. Mike gets a regular paycheck on every other Friday and a comission check on the first day of the month. So he received his regular paycheck on Friday after a lot of hmmming and haaaing etc. Of course no comission check but I assumed that would be on Saturday. Well he calls on Saturday, never got his comission check and boss never said a thing just left for the day. So we wait for today which is the first day he's back at work. Still nothing, no explanation, no checks nothing. The accountant tells him there's no money in the account so probably no checks today.

It just infuriates me!! I can't live like this and try to run our household and pay bills having no idea when or if he's going to get a check. I told him today if he doesn't get his check he needs to gather his stuff and get in the car and drive home. This is ridiculous in my opinion. I don't feel bad for the boss, it's not any of my business. If he wants to curb him and his wife's spending, they move to an apartment, she gets a job, you know then I might feel bad that they were really struggling, but it's just a bunch of hooey.

Ok, I vented now! Thanks for letting me! :thumbsup:

BigRedDad
03-04-2008, 01:46 PM
I feel for you a little bit. However, you have to realize that the country is heading into a recession that we have never seen in decades, gas is going to hit $4 a gallon in two months, and there is no end in sight. Just be thankful your husband still has a job. Layoffs will be coming for many industries, especially ones that are considered a luxury type business (motorcycles). As the dollar becomes less valuable, people are going to start hoarding them.

Sharper Image just fired the first salvo in the retail industry. They have filed for bankruptcy. In doing this, they have revoked all gift cards. Sharper Image gift cards are now worth $0. Many, if not all, retail businesses are going to follow suit.

Be thankful he has a job, be thankful you have money coming in, be thankful you have a roof over your head. Things are going to get drastically worse in the next 12 months before they get better. Thank GWB for that.

MMouse6937
03-04-2008, 02:10 PM
Thanks for the thoughts although I wasn't trying to get into a political debate. Trust me, the people that come into the shop DH works at have money and aren't afraid to spend it. We aren't talking about people who use this as their only mode of transportation to save gas. We are talking about high end, british motorcycles that cost $1000s of dollars to service. What we're talking about it a boss who refuses to see that his spending and his family's spending habits put him in hot water every time payday comes around. I would rather he fire DH if this is because of the economy and he'll collect unemployment until he can find something more suitable then screw around with his check. DH brought in over $3000 just in labor charges on Saturday, but can't get his comission check since the shop is "broke". Like I said hooey.

Btw, some people voted for GWB so we shouldn't get into that type of discussion. Politics and religion :nono:

Kidsmom
03-04-2008, 02:14 PM
I do agree with the Previous Poster, be glad he has a job in this climate....but.....start looking for a new one. Your situation is based on a bad business man.

Even with the economy bad, people still hire. He can get a better job or at least a better employer. Have him start looking now before things get worse for you and the country. If he doesn't find anything better....he is no worse off, but if he does---GREAT!

We are in the process of moving because a better job came calling and it is my husbands dream job (including dream pay & perks!)

You need him to be proactive....

Good Luck!!

Scar
03-04-2008, 02:21 PM
{ETA: Ditto to Kidsmom after reading her post.}
I would rather he fire DH if this is because of the economy and he'll collect unemployment until he can find something more suitable then screw around with his check.My recommendation would be that your husband first find a new job and then quit. If he waits to be fired / laid off, he may be waiting for a very long time, and I doubt the owner is going to change his habits.

tinkerbell04
03-04-2008, 03:03 PM
I do agree with the Previous Poster, be glad he has a job in this climate....but.....start looking for a new one. Your situation is based on a bad business man.

Even with the economy bad, people still hire. He can get a better job or at least a better employer. Have him start looking now before things get worse for you and the country. If he doesn't find anything better....he is no worse off, but if he does---GREAT!

We are in the process of moving because a better job came calling and it is my husbands dream job (including dream pay & perks!)

You need him to be proactive....

Good Luck!!

Ditto! I think that he should start looking for a new one, but keep that one for the time being. Things are bad, but there are still jobs out there. He needs to be proactive

bleukarma
03-04-2008, 03:18 PM
I’m sorry that you have to go through this! Having an unstable job is really stressful, and having an unstable paycheck would not only be stressful but infuriating! It’s not fair for your husband to do work for free…which is what he is doing if his boss doesn’t give him his check that he earned. His boss either needs to be straight up with his employees and say “times are tough, I’m sorry but we have to do away with commission checks” or be straight up with his wife and tell her to stop spending the companies money before he gets brought down with a law suit of some sort.

I agree with other posters who have said for him to try to look for something else. I know how hard it is to work in an unstable workforce during these troubled times (I work in real estate) and it would probably be better for him to continue to work in his current position, but put out resumes and fill out applications on his days off. I hear “be thankful you have a job” all the time and it really doesn’t help with the situation. I am thankful I have a job, but I am not thankful for the stress I have to deal with when I walk into work and wonder if it’s my last day or not. I’m sure you and your husband feels the same way.

kakn7294
03-04-2008, 04:09 PM
I'm sorry you're going through this. It's rough working for a bad boss, especially when it's coupled with the fact that you never know when / if you will get paid. I think your DH should start looking for another job pronto just in case this one suddenly isn't there. Sounds like this boss is totally mismanaging the business and it could close at any time. Not good for customer service and definately not good for his employees.

crazypoohbear
03-04-2008, 04:38 PM
I"m sorry that you are going through this. It is very stressful.
I would ask your husband to start looking for a new job.
Don't wait for him to be laid off/ there is no telling if the boss has paid into unemployment so your husband might not be able to collect.
The economy is terrible right now, it's not a political discussion though it just is the way it is!
I'll be thinking of you and hoping for the best.!
Good luck