PDA

View Full Version : Brett Favre Retires

Jeff G
03-04-2008, 10:31 AM
This from foxsports.com:

The most storied quarterback career in NFL history is coming to a close.

FOXSports.com has learned that legendary quarterback Brett Favre has decided to retire. In fact, it's believed he informed the Packers of his decision within the last few days, although it's unclear when Favre and the team will make his decision known.

So barring an unforeseen last-minute change of heart, Favre will leave the game after 17 years, during which he built himself into a household name and a figure synonymous with grit, toughness and perseverance.

Neither GM Ted Thompson nor head coach Mike McCarthy returned several calls left by FOXSports.com for confirmation.

After flirting with retirement for the last few years, Favre will finally go out on the heels of one of the best seasons of his career.

He led the Packers to the NFC Championship Game after passing for a stunning 4,155 yards, looking very much at times like a younger version of himself. In addition he threw 28 TDs — including an overtime Hail Mary pass to beat Denver in front of a national audience — and had a 95.7 quarterback rating. He was also voted into the Pro Bowl following the 2007 season but declined to go.

Favre leaves the game as the all-time record holder in several categories including wins, passing yards, touchdowns and consecutive games started. A three-time MVP, The southern swashbuckler won fans over with his carefree style that epitomized the "gunslinger" moniker and made fans out of everyone from the guy next door to those already enshrined in Canton.

If in fact, Favre does not have a change of heart, his final pass of a Hall of Fame Career was an interception by the Giants' Corey Webster, setting up New York's overtime win in the NFC title game.

For the last few years, the question of whether or not Favre was going to retire has been the most debated topic during the off-season. Two years ago he let his decision linger as reports both that he was returning and that he was retiring emerged. In fact, at one point he was supposedly going to announce his retirement at his charity golf tournament. Of course, those reports ultimately proved to be false.

Then after his final game of the 2006 season, a tearing and emotional Favre appeared on national TV and seemed to be bidding the game adieu. But once again, he had a change of heart and came back for what proved to be one heck of a final hurrah.

This time, Favre has made his decision and will likely make it publicly known soon. However, like in the past, Favre could wake up any day now and decide to change his mind, although that doesn't seem likely at this point.

The team will now shift to Aaron Rodgers, a former first-round pick, who has had few opportunities to play since being selected with the 24th overall pick in the 2005 draft. But when Favre was injured in a Thursday night game against Dallas this past season, Rodgers looked pretty good in relief. The former Cal star completed 18 of 26 passes for 201 yards and a touchdown — the first of his career — and nearly rallied the Packers to the win.

I've been a Packer fan since I can remember and over the past 16 years there has been one constant, Favre. It's going to be very different turning on a Packer game this fall and seeing someone else under center.

catsmommy555
03-04-2008, 10:48 AM
It's a sad day. Farve will be missed. I will wear my Farve Jersey's for years to come.

JerseyMouse
03-04-2008, 11:54 AM
Until he files the retirement papers with the league, I'd hold off on the farewells. I'm just not sold yet.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I simply can't imagine he'd want his last play in the NFL to be the one that lifted the Giants into the Super Bowl.

If it's legit, he'll be missed, one of the few remaing players in the league that played the game as if it was still a game.

caryrae
03-04-2008, 12:20 PM
again? Well being a Vikings fan I am happy but as a football fan it's sad. He was a great quarterback and was fun to watch.

stitchbag1
03-04-2008, 02:11 PM
Many great players have come and gone throught the Packer organization. Bart Starr, Paul Hornung, Ray Nitschke to name a few.

None will ever compare to Brett Favre.

We have all witnessed one of the greatest careers in NFL history. He may not have the SB rings like Montana, Aikman, or Bradshaw but Brett had something more. He had character. He was the last of the gunslingers. You will never see another QB play the game like he did. He had his share of interceptions, but he also holds many passing records.

That is what Brett was all about. Putting his neck on the line everygame to help the team. He endured countless injuries that some QB's would be out for 2 weeks. Brett was playing the next week. It show's how much respect he had for the game and how he wanted to leave he mark.He also has the most defining record any player, coach or fan has ever seen:

275 straight games played(incl playoffs)

There will never be anyone who plays the game with more guts and determination than Brett Favre. He will be missed.

Thanks, Brett.:thumbsup:

P.S. See in you Canton 2013!!!

vicster
03-04-2008, 03:37 PM
As a Bears fan - boohoo!

kakn7294
03-04-2008, 04:41 PM
I hadn't heard before now. I respected Farve's talent - he'll definately be in the HOF someday.

RAIDER
03-05-2008, 09:05 AM
hes going to be so missed next season .... i wish him well :beer:

Hammer
03-06-2008, 02:49 PM
Favre Rules Out Return to Football

By CHRIS JENKINS, AP
Thu Mar 6, 1:50 PM EST

Brett Favre made it clear Thursday that he's finished with football.

"I know I can play but I don't think I want to," a teary Favre said in a news conference at Lambeau Field two days after he announced his retirement. "It's been a great career for me, but it's over."

"As they say, all good things must come to an end. I look forward to whatever the future may hold for me."

With that, Favre walked away from a 17-year NFL career, taking with him a Super Bowl victory, virtually every quarterback record worth having and the widespread admiration of his peers and fans.

The 38-year-old Favre also leaves with graying hair and a deliberate gait — signs that the years were quietly taking a toll on the man who was celebrated for playing a serious and precise game with the carefree joy of a little boy.

He cried Thursday morning as he discussed his decision.

"I promised I wouldn't get emotional," he said. But as the tears flowed, he added, "I've watched hundreds of players retire and you wonder what that would be like. You think you're prepared ..."

Favre thanked the Green Bay Packers for letting him play.

"I hope that with every penny they've spent on me, they know it was money well spent," he said. "It wasn't about the money or fame or records. I hear people talk about your accomplishments and things. It was never my accomplishments, it was our accomplishments."

Favre is the NFL's only three-time MVP, and leads the league with 442 touchdown passes, 61,655 yards passing and 160 career victories. He started 253 consecutive regular-season games, more than any other quarterback in history.

Favre also holds the more dubious mark of 288 interceptions — an indication of the wild streak that only made him more human to the fans who adored him.

The same was true of Favre's highly publicized struggles with an addiction to prescription painkillers, his support of his wife, Deanna, through a battle with breast cancer, and a memorable Monday night game against Oakland after he lost his father.

Favre's exit comes after a remarkable 2007 season, but his final pass was one to forget: An interception in overtime of the NFC championship game, a mistake that set up the New York Giants' field goal that sent the Packers home instead of to the Super Bowl.

Most folks figured Favre couldn't exit the stage that way, especially when he had at least one more good year left in him.

But barring a change of heart in the upcoming weeks, months or years, the final chapter in his storied football career began Monday night.

Favre called Packers coach Mike McCarthy and told him he planned to retire, then finalized his decision in a conversation with Packers general manager Ted Thompson on Tuesday morning.

But until Thursday's news conference, Favre hadn't explained his decision to his fans. His only public comment was a short voicemail to an ESPN reporter in which he cited fatigue as the main reason for his retirement. Sure, he said, he could come back. But anything less than a Super Bowl victory would be considered a failure.

Favre said Thursday there was nothing left to prove.

"I'm going out on top," he said. "Believe me, I could care less what other people think. It's what I think, and I'm going out on top."

Favre's retirement came as a surprise to Packers executives, coaches and teammates, virtually all of whom expected him to return. And it was a shock to fans who sat patiently, year after year, while Favre flirted openly with retirement — because, of course, he never really meant it.

To a generation of fans who watched Favre start every game since taking over as the Packers' starting quarterback during the 1992 season, it didn't make sense. He wouldn't just decide he was too tired to play and walk away.

Would he?

Recent comments by Favre's agent, Bus Cook, stirred suspicions about the "real" reason Favre was retiring.

Had the Packers' front office not done enough to talk him into coming back?

Was Favre's retirement a knee-jerk reaction to the fact that wide receiver Randy Moss, a player Favre lobbied the Packers to sign a year ago, had re-signed with the New England Patriots without an apparent effort from the Packers?

Favre's comments Thursday indicated the decision was much simpler.

"I did it, but it got hard," he said. "I don't think it would get easier next year or the following year. It hasn't up until this point. It's only gotten tougher and something told me 'You know it's gotten too hard for you.' I could probably come back and do it. **** it up. But what kind of a toll would that take on me, my family or my teammates? At some point it would affect one of those if not all of them. Maybe it has already. I don't know."

Some who know Favre have doubts that he will be able to spend Sundays on the couch when he still has the ability to play.

"As the season gets closer, I wouldn't be surprised at all if he changes his mind," Hall of Fame quarterback Troy Aikman said.

A bearded Favre said Thursday he had no definite plans for the future and did not know whether he would be involved in football or with the Packers.

"I don't even want to think about next year," he said. "Will I watch games? I'm sure I will. Will I be involved? I always made the joke I'd be here for an honorary coin toss. Well, that time may come, so I may be back for something like that. But as far as giving advice, I don't think that will happen."

Packers chairman emeritus Bob Harlan said it would be a shame to see Favre try a halfhearted comeback, as late Packers defensive end Reggie White did with Carolina in 2000.

"I've always felt badly that Reggie came back and played that year at Carolina because he wasn't the same Reggie White," Harlan said. "And I think it'd be very sad to see that this wasn't the same Brett Favre. He has been so magnificent. He went out on top: great season, great team record. It's a great way for him to exit and add to his legacy."

Copyright 2008 The Associated Press. All rights reserved.