PDA

View Full Version : marathon weekend tips

busterthebronco
03-03-2008, 08:59 PM
ok DW has lost her mind.
she and a friend of hers have set thier sites on the '09 half marathon.:walk:
they downloaded the forms tonight and are off and running (pun intended)
have any of ya'll done this?
is it as neat as it looks?
any tips?
any stories?
thanks as allways!:thumbsup:

whistlewhileyouwork
03-03-2008, 10:26 PM
2009 will be my third 1/2 disney marathon. It is so much fun....the place is so full of excitement and the race is a fantastic experience. Three girlfriends and I went the past in 08, we left the families at home and we had a blast. Race morning is alive with energy...fireworks and mickey and minnie of course. Tell them to book their hotel early it fills up fast......once they sign up online they will get all kinds of updates on email. Its great fun...in 07 we did it with families in tow and it was great to have them all on the sidelines cheering us on......my favorite part is arriving in MK. Its so electric and the characters are everywhere to greet you and cheer. FUN FUN FUN!!!:mickey: good luck to them both....we walk and run...so im sure they will get themselves right in shape.

DisneyLove
03-04-2008, 10:16 AM
I just did the 08 half as my first haf marathon, and it was AWESOME! I'm not a great runner, but I really wanted to challenge myself. It was fun the whole time, and running through MK was incredible. Everyone is excited and it was just a really good time. I don't have other experience with 1/2 marathons, but to me it also seemed really well organized. One tip if they're not trying to finish first: bring a camera! There were opportunities to take pictures with characters and such, and I know I would have been disappointed if I didn't have my camera. Again, and awesome experience. I loved it and am looking forward to doing it next year! :)

Katie

Maleficent's Dad
03-04-2008, 10:30 AM
is it as neat as it looks?
any tips?
any stories?
thanks as allways!:thumbsup:
Yes, it is as neat as it looks!

Since this is (presumably) her first 1/2 marathon, and since she's registering late, she'll most likely be placed in the last "corral." There are literally, thousands (tens of thousands) of people who run/walk in this event. They separate people (usually according to predicted time of finish) by corrals. Just make sure she keeps up with the pace that is required - they do pick people up who lag too far behind (this is usually not a problem, even for walkers!).

Something to note: She'll have to leave her resort very early in the morning. Disney provides buses from their resorts to the starting line - and very often, the last bus leaves around 4 AM for the starting line (if memory serves, that is!). Load up on the carbs the night before and get to bed early!

The old course used to start and run around EPCOT's WS - a very cool experience - and then end over by the Poly. Now the start and finish is in EPCOT's parking lot. The only park you really see a lot of is MK. You do run through EPCOT, but only in the FW section - not as good a course, IMO. But it is convenient to start and finish at the same place.

There's a lot of people, sure, but Disney keeps it very well organized; it is run very smoothly. The course isn't overly challenging with hills - the only "hills" that challenge you would be the underpass by the CR, and the exit ramp over by EPCOT when returning - and these are not steep inclines!

It is a lot of fun as stated above. People are very excited when running this race, and the vast majority of people running are doing it (in large part) for fun.

Easiest 13.1 miles we've ever run!!!

Check out some of the costumes people wear when running. It's definitely not your typical race - lots of Disney paraphernalia. Lots of people have cameras on the course, lots even stop to take pics during the race.

A side note, I've never seen so many people peeing in public!!! Even women - before the race, the areas around the starting line are dotted with those relieving themselves before the starting gun! :blush: :blush: Caught me by surprise. There are, however, plenty of port-a-potties to use, so don't sweat it!

Damon18
03-04-2008, 08:03 PM
It is an awesome experience. I think Frank covered most of the details for you. The only other tip I would give is for race packet pick-up. You need to go to the Wide World of Sports for this. If you don't have a car they have shuttle busses running regularly from each resort. I would try to get there on Thursday or early on Friday to pick up everything. It can get very crowded but if you get there early you can be in and out quickly. Of course you can always stay there for a while and browse through all the vendors. :thumbsup:

irish1967
03-04-2008, 09:06 PM
Yes, it is as neat as it looks! ...

Just make sure she keeps up with the pace that is required - they do pick people up who lag too far behind (this is usually not a problem, even for walkers!)...

Easiest 13.1 miles we've ever run!!!

OK - a couple of comments...

My DF(riend) and I decided to celebrate our 40th birthdays by participating in the 1/2 marathon.

Let me start by saying that we have registered for next year already and plan to do it right next time.

We had absolutely no idea what we were getting into. And we both have brothers who are marathoners/ultra-marathoners giving us advice.

First - 13.1 miles is a LONG way.

Second - although Disney is a "fun" marathon the event organizers are very serious about the event. They sweep people off the course if they are not keeping pace and I was told that they were still sweeping people off the course at mile 12 this year. 16 minute miles is a good clip - this isn't a "stroll" through the park at sunrise, it is a truly physical event. I talked to a woman at the sports expo that was only a couple of seconds "behind the line" and she was removed from the course.

Third - It was the most empowering thing I have ever done - and I was in labor with my first child for over 19 hours. The one think I would advise your DW is that she needs to really train to do it right. (note: both my friend and I both were regular exercisers to begin with) There are a lot of resources available that can advise on how to prepare for a half marathon. I would definitely make sure that your DW follows a reputable training plan.

Ironically, it was when we were at our lowest and really questioning if we would be able to finish when my friend and I decided to go for it again. Both of us are truly training for the event and are really looking forward to it.

Tell your DW to look for us in the corral :mickey:

Maleficent's Dad
03-05-2008, 09:29 AM
First - 13.1 miles is a LONG way.
I couldn't agree with you more!
The point of what I said was that Disney made the 13.1 miles very easy to do. Both DW and I both felt that it wasn't too bad - there was too much energy and we had too much motivation being at WDW for it to be overly challenging.

They sweep people off the course if they are not keeping pace and I was told that they were still sweeping people off the course at mile 12 this year. 16 minute miles is a good clip - this isn't a "stroll" through the park at sunrise, it is a truly physical event. I talked to a woman at the sports expo that was only a couple of seconds "behind the line" and she was removed from the course.
Well I guess here's where I'll have to disagree with you - or at least I agree to disagree with you!

From my two experiences, at least 50% of those participating are walking the event. DW and I passed by hundreds (if not thousands) of walkers, and were not passed by any runners ourselves. We've done the race twice. Both times, we submitted a "proof of time," but were still corralled about mid-point. I'm not sure how the walkers get up to the front areas... :confused:

I have absolutely no problem with those who walk. I just wish they'd be lined up further in the back of the starting corral areas. And I do not think that a 16 minute per mile pace is anything too fast, sorry!

I've spoken to numerous people who have walked it. They've all pretty much said the same thing - it's a long walk to do, but certainly the pace is not outlandish (and not all of these people were in shape, mind you!).

One lady I spoke to has walked the event every year since its inception. She laughed when I asked her about getting picked up for going too slow. If you refuse to get on the bus, there's nothing Disney can really do to you. They won't physically force you on the bus, and they won't allow racers to be on the roads in an unsafe manner - so essentially, their hands are tied. They can't do much except try to hurry those along who are lagging.

From what we've learned, the bus is there for people who drop out.

Irish1967, I'm not trying to argue with what you said, it's just that my experiences have been different than yours.

teambricker04
03-05-2008, 09:44 AM
Oh my! DH is planning on running the marathon, but hasn't signed up yet... we had no idea that he needed to sign up this early! I will let him know!

He has done three marathons (Rock'n'Roll in Phoenix and San Diego) and is excited to get back in the swing of it. Guess we had better start planning... should I mention that I am (well, we are) last minute planners?!?!

How long do any of you stay at the resort before/after??? How does the flight affect you???

irish1967
03-05-2008, 10:46 AM
From what we've learned, the bus is there for people who drop out.

Irish1967, I'm not trying to argue with what you said, it's just that my experiences have been different than yours.

No problem - we all have different experiences... but just to be clear - from someone who started and ended at the back of the pack (we finished in just over 3:24) there were race officials on bikes that were riding back and forth telling the walkers in the back exactly where we were in regards to the pacing requirements - we started seeing them as we were exiting the MK and continued to see them until we passed mile marker 12.

I talked to a person at the expo after the race who was swept off the course at mile marker 7. This person said that the race officials were very firm about the fact that they did not have the option of continuing and trying to catch up.

A second person sitting next to us at le Cellier on Sunday night commented that she had to outright run at the end of the race to get ahead of the 16 minute mile pace in order to not be swept off the course.

(The second person actually made the comment that she wished she had known she was slow before that point because if she had known then she would not have stopped for pictures in the MK!)

Perhaps the first person could have refused to be swept off the course, but it would definitely not be in the spirit of the event - when you sign up, you do agree to comply to the pacing requirements.

Like you, not trying to debate and I definitely agree that everyone's experience is different and mine was that we would be swept off the course if we didn't maintain the appropriate pace.

(and for someone who did not walk for exercise prior to deciding to do the event - I found it to be a very challenging (but definitely AWESOME) event.)

Maleficent's Dad
03-05-2008, 11:08 AM
Oh my! DH is planning on running the marathon, but hasn't signed up yet... we had no idea that he needed to sign up this early!
The half marathon is already at 95% capacity. The marathon fills up slower, but DOES sell-out. As of today, it's at 50% capacity. If your husband is planning to run, I'd sign up SOON!!! (Discounted rates ended in February, sorry!)

How long do any of you stay at the resort before/after??? How does the flight affect you???
Our flight from NY is just over 2 hours with no time change, so it doesn't really affect us. We have made long weekends of it for the races - usually go down Wednesday night or Thursday morning, returning on Sunday afternoon.

teambricker04
03-05-2008, 02:39 PM
The half marathon is already at 95% capacity. The marathon fills up slower, but DOES sell-out. As of today, it's at 50% capacity. If your husband is planning to run, I'd sign up SOON!!! (Discounted rates ended in February, sorry!)

Our flight from NY is just over 2 hours with no time change, so it doesn't really affect us. We have made long weekends of it for the races - usually go down Wednesday night or Thursday morning, returning on Sunday afternoon.

Thanks for the info! I will have to let him know!!! I am so excited to see him run this. He is trying to make it under 4 hours this time... he's been soooo close in the past.

teambricker04
03-06-2008, 01:45 PM
Well, DH has registred! We'll be seening you all for the marathon... now time to plan our trip. Oooh. Maybe I should finish planning our may trip!!!:mickey:

busterthebronco
03-06-2008, 10:57 PM
what do ya'll think about trying to stay at coronado/
i guess its right in the action.
does it book fast?
anywhere else that might be full of marathon atmosphere?

Maleficent's Dad
03-07-2008, 08:36 AM
what do ya'll think about trying to stay at coronado/
i guess its right in the action.
does it book fast?
anywhere else that might be full of marathon atmosphere?
Not sure what you mean about "right in the action." :scratch:

We've stayed at the BW and the BC during our previous races. It really doesn't matter the resort you stay at, as all have the same morning transportation to the race.

The only factor you *might* want to consider (other than financial considerations, of course!) is the transportation AFTER the race. If you stay at an "EPCOT" resort (BC/YC/BW), your only option of getting to your room is walking through EPCOT. For those staying on the monorail (Poly would be tops), a quick monorail ride home would suffice. For all other WDW resorts, you have to get buses back to your resort.

None of the resorts were overly full of "marathon atmosphere," but there was a large percentage of people who were running. Keep in mind, everyone approaches these races differently - some are very serious, some just want to finish, others want to best their times, and still there's the "let's have fun" group.

boo425
04-11-2008, 06:15 PM
OK, now I'm getting nervous...myself and my 2 adult kids have signed up for the 2009 1/2 marathon and we are definitely beginners. So far we are at about an 18 minute mile...I'm wondering (based on the preceding posts) if we are going to get "swept" by the "loser" van:(...how does the timing work? I read elsewhere that there are certain cut-off points like you have to be at the mile 3.5 at the end of and hour and 15 minutes or you get "swept." Any advice for complete and total beginners?

irish1967
04-11-2008, 07:52 PM
OK, now I'm getting nervous...myself and my 2 adult kids have signed up for the 2009 1/2 marathon and we are definitely beginners. So far we are at about an 18 minute mile...I'm wondering (based on the preceding posts) if we are going to get "swept" by the "loser" van:(...how does the timing work? I read elsewhere that there are certain cut-off points like you have to be at the mile 3.5 at the end of and hour and 15 minutes or you get "swept." Any advice for complete and total beginners?

Boo - you have plenty of time to get to where you need to be. Do a google search and find a half marathon training schedule that fits your fitness profile. Most training schedules begin at 4 months out so for the next few months, so your initial goal goal will be to build a "base" (the schedule I follow has you walking a base of 4 to 5 miles several days a week when you start the plan.) The chart tells you exactly what you need to do each day to prepare for the half marathon.

Honestly, at this point last year, I had severe tendonitis and wasn't able to walk more than 4/10 of a mile at a time, and very slowly at that.

It definitely takes time and dedication but is definitely doable. Feel free to PM me with any specific questions. I don't get on every day, but I promise I will answer any questions that I am able to answer!

DisneyDudet
04-12-2008, 01:10 PM

They have historical pacing points, but none too recently, so don't base yourself on that. You must MAINTAIN a 16 min mile throughout the entire course.

This will be my first marathon EVER! My dad and I are doing it, and we are actively training, using a run/walk method. It is actually very good! I did 5 miles last week in just over an hour!! Tomorrow is my LR (long run) for this week.. 6 miles.. and saturday, I'm doing a 10K. This is an almost everyday deal. I take about 2 days off a week MAX, and train the other days. My mother is doing the 1/2 and is walking. She had a stress fracture in her foot in Feb, so she lost some training time for 6 weeks, but she's getting back up there!

Some of the full marathon course is near resorts, so if you are wanting to stay at your resort the day after the 1/2, that can be "in the action". The last leg really of the full is the Epcot resorts, mainly Y&BC, as we will run right by it! Both the 1/2 and the full run past the Contemporary and GF.

I hope your wife signed up for the 1/2 as it is closed. We had to book with an athletic TA to get my mother a guaranteed entry. Any resort is fair game as far as booking, but Values are popular anytime of the year.

Have fun training everyone! I'm learning so much about it, and am actually loving running now!

boo425
04-12-2008, 10:13 PM
It definitely takes time and dedication but is definitely doable. Feel free to PM me with any specific questions. I don't get on every day, but I promise I will answer any questions that I am able to answer!
Thank you so much for the encouragement and help!!:mickey:
I'm hoping to increase my speed, but we are determined to at least give the run a try!
I'll see you all in January!