PDA

View Full Version : What snacks do you carry into theme parks?

Princess2BsMom
03-03-2008, 06:58 PM
Just wondering what are some good ideas of snacks to carry into the parks. And what some of you carry. We are going in September and will have a 4 year old "princess" with us!

catsmommy555
03-03-2008, 07:09 PM
We take all sorts of prepackaged snacks. My little ones favs are yo-go's and fruit snacks. We also take the juice power to add to bottled water.

DestinationWDW
03-03-2008, 07:25 PM
My little guy likes goldfish crackers, fruit snacks, mandarin oranges (in the snack packs) and we usually bring along some 100 calorie snack packs too (cookies/crackers). Have a magical trip! :mickey:

Donald
03-03-2008, 07:28 PM
I carry as little as possible in the parks. I pack cash to treat myself to things only available at the disney parks.

Happy Vacation!:mickey:

baby minnie's mommy
03-03-2008, 07:30 PM
Here are some things we've taken with our preschooler:

-Quaker Oatmeal choc. chip cookies (they come individually wrapped:thumbsup:)
-Granola bars
-Teddy Grahams (fun to play with while resting or waiting :))
-Single serving juice bottle to refill sippy cup
-Bottle of water for DH and I

DD also LOVES the Mickey pretzels sold at the resorts. We like to get them for her "hotel snack" and would also be good to take to the park. (They may sell them in the parks too, don't know.)

I love snacks that come packaged in individual sizes! I also like to take ziploc bags, to store snacks we buy and don't finish.

I take a bunch of water and juice bottles to the hotel with us, but just take one of each to get us through part of the day before buying some at the park. Like to save a bit of money, but don't want to lug around a bunch of extra drinks all day.

RocknRoller94
03-03-2008, 08:00 PM
We usually take advantage of the snacks within the parks. However, anything that is light and not too messy (perhaps crackers, cookies, pop-tarts, fruit, etc.) will be fine to bring along.

JPL
03-03-2008, 08:05 PM
I don't bring any snacks in the parks with me I like to travel light basically just my camera and some pins to trade.

mook3y
03-03-2008, 08:17 PM
with 2 little kids, we always bring snacks. helps when waiting in lines ;)

Beef jerky, fruit snacks, cashews and granola bars.

Duchess99
03-03-2008, 08:52 PM
I like Kashi bars. They have a lot of fiber, so their super filling. 100 calorie packs are also good.

Magic Smiles
03-03-2008, 09:01 PM
[QUOTE=Donald;1565065]I carry as little as possible in the parks. I pack cash to treat myself to things only available at the disney parks.
QUOTE]

My sentiments exactly!

*tinker_belle*
03-03-2008, 09:06 PM
I always try to opt for healthy snacks to bring along with me. Goldfish, cheerios, fruit snacks or those fruit leathers, trail mix, dried fruit, beef jerky, pretzels, etc. Bring things that are light weight and non messy so you can eat in line or while walking. Have fun!!

#1donaldfan
03-03-2008, 09:24 PM
Slim Jims / Crackers / Grips / water drink mix flavors.....that's about it....we go in pretty light..:mickey:

mizzoumouse
03-03-2008, 09:53 PM
Us too. with two kids, snacks come in handy and can save us a fortune.
Granola Bars
Fruit snacks
Anything that comes in individual packages...
Also, kool-aid singles for the water!
:mickey:

130 days until we leave for our grand gathering!!!:coaster::coaster::coaster::coaster::

dolphinmickey9170
03-03-2008, 10:22 PM
We take individually bagged gold fish crackers, ritz bitz, fruit snacks, cracker/pb packs.

phillydan
03-03-2008, 10:24 PM
On our first trip, we packed the things the other posters mentioned (fruit snacks, juice box, goldfish, etc). After 2 days at the World, the kids wouldn't touch them - they wanted the junk from the park. We figured, it's vacation, so what the hay.

postscript: one year later, I found a stash of granola bars in the traveling diaper bag...so, as tossed them out, I wondered how much $$ I really saved.....

Sean Riley Taylor's Mom
03-03-2008, 10:34 PM
We bring in three snacks, one for each child, and then buy them a treat later in the day. Best of both worlds. ;)

Usually we bring goldfish, pretzels or granola bars.

My kids do not eat fruit snacks or anything like them so, it is usually something crunchy...lol.

mook3y
03-04-2008, 12:32 AM
postscript: one year later, I found a stash of granola bars in the traveling diaper bag...so, as tossed them out, I wondered how much $$ I really saved.....

I can say we have never come home with beef jerky or cashews.

;)

Next year, this could be the only snacks we bring lol.

As.. you have a great point!

mrsgaribaldi
03-04-2008, 12:34 AM
Soda or water bottle at the start of the day, the crystal lights packages to add to water we buy and plastic baggies also for snacks we don't finish in the parks. We usually don't bring any snacks into the parks, we buy something in the parks. On the plane I might bring nuts, nut mixes, goldfish crackers, little indivual cups pf snacks that you can buy. AT the hotel we keep pringles, maybe pop tarts, last trip I had bowls of cereal and ate them for breakfast.

Here we go again...
03-04-2008, 01:09 AM
Soda or water bottle at the start of the day, the crystal lights packages to add to water we buy and plastic baggies also for snacks we don't finish in the parks. We usually don't bring any snacks into the parks, we buy something in the parks. On the plane I might bring nuts, nut mixes, goldfish crackers, little indivual cups pf snacks that you can buy. AT the hotel we keep pringles, maybe pop tarts, last trip I had bowls of cereal and ate them for breakfast.

Now that my DD is older we only bring 1 bottle of water for each person in the park... maybe 2 if it is really hot. I do bring some kind of drink flavor since those are small and water gets a little boring. I do not drinks any cokes or caffinated drinks in the parks at all.
I have started bringing nuts and cereal for the room too. We are not big breakfast eaters since my DD has outgrown the character breakfasts so that does us fine until lunch.

pixiesmimi
03-04-2008, 01:25 AM
We freeze water bottles and take them to thaw out during the day with the drink mixes for the water. We usually get the dining plan so have the snacks that are allowed on the plan during the day. For the little ones, we do take snack bars or ziplock bags of cereal or crackers for them when they get cranky or bored. We don't eat a lot of snacks, just drink water and such while resting. There is plenty to eat at the meals.

kakn7294
03-04-2008, 01:31 AM
We don't take snacks to the parks anymore - if we want something, we'll buy it in the parks. When DD's were little, we took things like goldfish, graham crackers, and fruit snacks. We haven't carried that stuff since they were potty-trained and I didn't need a diaper bag anymore. We do take a few things like granola bars to keep in the room, especially if we drive.

aurorafan
03-04-2008, 09:04 AM
On our first trip in Oct. my guys were 10 and 7. We brought some snacks in--pb crackers, wheat thins, pretzels and peanuts, a water bottle for each person and 1 juice box for each of the boys. They were so excited by everything that they really didn't eat much in the parks--where we needed the snacks the most were in the hotel for our afternoon breaks ;).

Now had they been younger I'm sure it would have been a different story--I can remember never traveling without goldfish etc. :)

ncscgirl2005
03-04-2008, 01:47 PM
For the kids:

Chips
Granola Bars
Raisins
Fruit Snacks

For DH:
Chips
Granola Bars
Raisins
Fruit Snacks
;)

Gooftroop5
03-04-2008, 01:57 PM
We use to take for dd individual packaged stuff like crackers & cheese, cookies, chips & fruit snack. They didn't have all this 100 calorie pack stuff when dd was little. This trip we will probably not take anything because we won't have the stroller & diaper bag to carry it all in. However we will have our own snack in our room.

Princess2BsMom
03-04-2008, 02:04 PM
For DH:
Chips
Granola Bars
Raisins
Fruit Snacks
;)

LOL This is more like it. Not only do I have to plan for DD, I also have to plan for a DH with a HUGE appetite!:silly:

goofysbabe
03-04-2008, 02:33 PM
We take the snacks that have been mentioned. But they normally get eaten while we are waiting for a show to start (one that comes to mind is Tarzan Rocks - I know it's no longer there). After our first trip there, spending too much on snacks at that time (because people are standing there in the front selling and my kids are just DYING to have a snack) I decided I'd just bring some with me. It has really paid off. While we are waiting for the show to start and they are selling their chips & drinks at outragous prices we are enjoying our much cheaper ones. I feel lilke I don't waste any money, when we return home what's left goes in our snack drawer for school snacks (our kids get to take snacks for a snack break) so everything gets eaten!

crazypoohbear
03-04-2008, 03:53 PM
when I was pregnant with DS #2 I could only tolerate granola bars, I am STILL looking for that dang sea gull who hoovered over my head ( unbeknownst to me) waited while I unwrapped my LAST one and came in and took the whole thing!

I still hope that bird choked on the wrapper!!!
This was 14 years ago! :blush: guess some things you never get over

we usually take granola bars ( and guard them!)
individual 100 calorie cookies/snacks
gum - Disney doesn't sell gum
mints/lifesavers

4myprincesses
03-04-2008, 10:13 PM
we have to take food in due to allergies.

Applesauce
nuts
fruit leather
certain crackers or chips
apples
grapes
carrots
bananas
etc.

Funny thing about bananas :) For the first time this last trip I made it to the park at opening with only one princess (a first on two accounts as all four princesses as well as myself and DH or mom just can't seem to get ourselves there for it and I've never before been able to go with only one chile, what fun!) We saw the last bit of the opening show and then went through security. The gal that checked our bags said "44, 45" and I looked at her funny. She told us how she coutns bananas just to see how many she will get to in a shift. That day was looking to be a record breaker for January according to her experience :)

Darbylew
03-04-2008, 10:30 PM
We take a lot of different kinds of snacks. We
love all the pre-packages snacks. We carry a
packback and take turns carrying it. We take
water, ritz bits, cookies, pretzels, fruit snacks
and zip lock bags for leftovers. They are great
for putting lunch leftovers in. :mickey:

Von-Drake
03-05-2008, 07:31 AM
For our son it is Teddy Grahams and Fruit Snacks.

ncscgirl2005
03-05-2008, 11:39 AM
LOL This is more like it. Not only do I have to plan for DD, I also have to plan for a DH with a HUGE appetite!:silly:

:thumbsup: Yep you said it!

My DH is 6'4", eats everything in sight, and is a beanpole! :mickey:

PinKy
03-05-2008, 11:43 AM
DS likes the little toddler fruit bars (by Gerber I think), but those may be a little young for your DD. And the toddler "puffs". Dried fruit is another good one.

Other than that we do the same as some mentioned above, we buy some pretzles/cheese cracker snacks at the parks for our hotel snacks.

Mackflava99
03-05-2008, 11:57 AM
I usually carrry 2 peanut butter and jelly sandwiches to share if we are stuck in a ride before a meal and people get hungry...usually a half will tie us down.

But additionally-for kids ( and myself)
Sugar free Gum or lollypops
Peanut butter or cheese crackers
An Apple or 2
Some dry cereal in a cup to munch on..

Remember you always have to make sure the items can withstand being wet...( use ziplocks if possible)

cal5755
03-05-2008, 12:10 PM
The first year we went we packed granola bars, fruit snacks, juice boxes and bottled water. Plus baby bottles etc. We had a double stroller because we had a 4 year old and 6 month old so we actually put a small cooler in the bottom.

Now we dont bring snacks... just water because it gets soooo hot.

Have a super magical vacation

TBY2225
03-05-2008, 04:23 PM
I usually let my DD pick some snacks to take that she normally doesn't get at home that she really likes. That way she is excited to get it and doesn't beg for others in the park.

PAYROLL PRINCESS
03-05-2008, 08:10 PM
Pepsi and water are a must for me. And watching that seagull steal Crazypoohbear's granola bar WAS funny! At least to us.

BostonChic
03-05-2008, 08:35 PM
Well usually I'll bring snacks with us on the plane(crackers,100 cal.packs,little cookies) and whatever is left out of that,we bring to the parks.Then we buy stuff down there!easy ways to not over spend and our boys can do a little sharing :confused: :D :mickey:

Princess2BsMom
03-06-2008, 03:29 PM
This thread has definetly helped! With a 4 year old, I know that we will be needing some "little" snacks to prevent melt downs! :fit:

kbean
03-07-2008, 07:55 AM
Lots of Gum

russk42
03-07-2008, 08:56 AM
orange colored peanut butter crackers and water bottles have been our staples, but I'm thinking of freezing jello cups for our august trip this summer--they've got the sugar we need, will hopefully stay cold, and will not be too messy when they thaw. I'm also thinking that they will help rehydrate us.

bigbabyblues
03-08-2008, 11:52 AM
I usually toss a couple of granola bars in the backpack, just in case, but we very rarely eat them. We do take frozen water bottles in, and we definitely drink them. They're usually thawed by the time we're ready for them, but if not, we just buy one.

Princess2BsMom
03-09-2008, 04:10 PM
Since we are going to be on the Deluxe DDP, we will be getting 2 snacks included. I think that I will bring in some fruit snacks, cheese and crackers, water bottles, goldfish and maybe something else little and sweet just to tide our 4 year old over while we are waiting or she is getting tired!

NJ Camper
03-09-2008, 04:15 PM
We go to sams club or a regular food store and by the small bags of cookies or goldfish sometimes we get some loose candy for that sugar rush to keep us going just small things we can easily put in our backpack we haven't had a problem with this