PDA

View Full Version : Dyson vacuum

disneymom15
03-03-2008, 12:09 PM
Do any of you own a Dyson vacuum? I'm thinking of buying one. I know they are pricy, any opinions good or bad would be great. Right now I own an Oreck and I think it's time to replace it.

DisneyDog
03-03-2008, 12:19 PM
We also went from an Oreck to a Dyson. You will notice a huge difference. My Oreck did nothing compared to the Dyson. The only benefit of the Oreck is that it is lightweight. My Dyson picks up everything. We had two dogs when we bought it, and they were serious shedders. The Dyson had no problem with picking up their fur. Now we only have one cat who doesn't shed all that much, but I still love my Dyson. Only complaint is that it's very heavy (especially compared to the Oreck!)

Tinksalot
03-03-2008, 12:42 PM
I :vacuum::vacuum:LOVE my Dyson! I've had mine for a couple of years now and haven't had one problem with it!

PlutoToo
03-03-2008, 01:05 PM
We have a Dyson and I too love it. I am always amazed at how much dirt and pet hair it picks up.

meldan98
03-03-2008, 01:05 PM
We have gone through 3 vaccumms in the last year (none dyson) and I borrowed my friend's dyson. We only have two rooms with carpet in them. The Dyson did work pretty good however, it was heavy and difficult to push at times.

mook3y
03-03-2008, 02:19 PM
we just purchased a Dyson last month.

Boy... you wouldn't of thought we had ever vacumed before.

If you are thinking of purchasing one, consider home shopping network. If you google - HSN and Coupon - and it is your first purchase from them you get $50 off. We combined that with a dyson with free shipping and got a great deal on our Dyson.

RedSoxFan
03-03-2008, 02:59 PM
I bought a Dyson almost a year ago and love it. It does a great job and worth the money. Sometimes Target has a promotion that if you buy a Dyson, you get a gift card. I got a $100 gift card when I bought mine at Target last year.

c&d
03-03-2008, 03:10 PM
I bought the purple version for that picks up pet hair. I absolutely love it. The first time I used it I was amazed at how much "stuff" was in the carpet. It looked like I had never :vacuum::vacuum:

prprincess
03-03-2008, 03:35 PM
I bought the purple version for that picks up pet hair. I absolutely love it. The first time I used it I was amazed at how much "stuff" was in the carpet. It looked like I had never :vacuum::vacuum:I have the same one, The Animal, and I absolutely love it.

We bought it when we moved into our house last year. We were all allergic to something, but couldn't figure out what the heck it was. Our doctor suggested many things, including a Dyson, and it greatly improved the air quality in our home. It's great!!

DisneyDog
03-03-2008, 04:28 PM
When I bought mine, I used a 20% off coupon from Bed Bath & Beyond. The coupon said it excluded Dyson, but they let me use it anyway. I saved quite a lot of $$.:thumbsup:

ElenitaB
03-03-2008, 04:38 PM
I've had my Dyson (a canister model) for several years now, and I must say, I love it! It's amazing how much it picks up in terms of dust and general "stuff."

adoptionislove
03-03-2008, 04:39 PM
I have the White Dyson. I LOVE LOVE it!!!

Years ago we were suckered into a Kirby ($1400.00) and when I got the Dyson It was as if we never vacummed before!

The only down side...it doen't have a light!

DizneyRox
03-03-2008, 04:42 PM
The Dyson did work pretty good however, it was heavy and difficult to push at times.
I have found that when it's difficult to push it's because it's $ucking so hard it "sticks" to the floor.

We bought a dyson a number of year ago, probably going on 5 years now and it's still going strong. One of the attachments broke, the smaller floor T shaped one, but everything else is still good. I think it's close to $15 to replace, just haven't gotten around to it. Haven't spent a dime on bags or anything else in all those years.

For us, it's been worth every penny. You only need to get what you need, the color is only to ID the version you have, but all of them are the same. It's a different accessory level that differentiates the models, and you can get all the attachments online. We own the animal, but haven't used 1/2 the tools, and we have two dogs.

If mine broke tomorrow, I would replace it within the week with another one.

d_m_n_n
03-03-2008, 04:50 PM
When I bought mine, I used a 20% off coupon from Bed Bath & Beyond. The coupon said it excluded Dyson, but they let me use it anyway. I saved quite a lot of $$.:thumbsup:

Dyson's are now included in the coupons!! We were standing in line buying my Dyson and the woman behind us offered us one of hers...saved us almost $100. If you are interested or need a coupon, PM me. I've got 1/2 dozen hanging around (they also never expire...even though there is a date on it!).

As to the Dyson, like everyone else stated I was embarrassed at how much stuff it picked up the first time! I have always had a terrible time with vacs breaking on me...I must be hard on them. But so far so good with the Dyson. The cost is pretty shocking which is why I delayed the purchased for so long. I can't say it makes cleaning fun, but it isn't so bad! :D

Jeff
03-03-2008, 04:54 PM
We bought the yellow one 2 years ago. It is great.
Our only complaint is how the handle/hose attachment pulls out and goes together - it is kind of inconvenient. However, we would definitely buy another one when the time comes.

Dakota Rose
03-03-2008, 05:02 PM
My best friend bought hers in November and loves it. She vaccuums every day, has 2 large hunting dogs, 2 kids and 2 cats. She says it never gives her a problem and was worth every penny.

Emily
03-03-2008, 06:15 PM
Another Dyson owner here. Can't add too much that hasn't already been said. I love mine, it's a great vacuum! :thumbsup:

jennsky
03-03-2008, 08:05 PM
Here's a question....

I'm thinking of getting a Dyson myself, but the last Consumer Reports magazine says that actually a Kenmore Upright is better than the Dyson. I don't have the model off the top of my head.

I was convinced (from the commercials) that the Dyson would be the way to go, but now I'm not sure what to get...

mook3y
03-03-2008, 08:11 PM
Here's a question....

I'm thinking of getting a Dyson myself, but the last Consumer Reports magazine says that actually a Kenmore Upright is better than the Dyson. I don't have the model off the top of my head.

I was convinced (from the commercials) that the Dyson would be the way to go, but now I'm not sure what to get...

how much $?

Bagless too?

Bagless = no ongoing money being spent.

My parents bought a Dyson, which led me to get mine.

I can say, my dyson can do what i have seen in the commercials.

When it comes down to it...

What do I think of the Dyson?

They $uck....

When it comes to vacuum cleaners... thats a good thing!

:silly:

mrsgaribaldi
03-03-2008, 10:24 PM
We bought the yellow one 2 years ago. It is great.
Our only complaint is how the handle/hose attachment pulls out and goes together - it is kind of inconvenient. However, we would definitely buy another one when the time comes.

Same thing here. I bought the yellow one about a year ago. It's hard to use the hose because it gets kinked but I love the vaccum.

bouncer
03-03-2008, 11:59 PM
Search ABC Vacuum Warehouse. They are in TX = no tax and at the time I purchased (last July) they also had no shipping fee and also best price around. I shopped our local stores Kohl's etc and everyone had pretty close to the same price. This beat it by well over $100 after you figure in taxes. I love the Dyson. We have 2 black labs and I have to dump the canister a few times when I'm doing the whole house. We also noticed that it lifted the pile up on the carpet. We have textured berber and the texture is much more visible now.

disneymom15: how's lovely Appleton these days? We live in West Bend and visit Fremont often. I LOVE SHOPPING FOX RIVER MALL!!! Maybe I'll see you sometime either in Appleton or WDW?:D

disneymom15
03-04-2008, 09:36 AM
Hi Bouncer, Appletons great, a bit cold and overflowing with snow but springs coming and planning another trip to Disney (can't complain about that). Anyway, thanks everyone for all the info. The Dyson sounds like a great vac.
Jodie

Jeff G
03-04-2008, 10:44 AM
Another option, I have a friend who purchsaed a Dyson on Woot for just over $200 and it's working great. It was refurbished but it looks brand new.

BTW, hello fellow Appleton &Wisconsinites!

DisneyCouture
03-04-2008, 12:07 PM
I love my Dyson, it picks up everything and is great for ppl who have allergies. I can't imagine owning another vacuum. My husband likes to vacuum with it too, so it helps. ;)