PDA

View Full Version : Furniture Stripping

Piglet822
03-02-2008, 11:34 AM
I'm trying to strip a dresser and it's driving me nuts (short drive but that's for another post).
It's got a couple of layers of paint but that's not the problem, there seems to be some kind of varnish on one of the coats of paint and it's giving me fits trying to get it off. I did do the drawers (finally) but now I'm on the dresser and it's taking forever. I'm using one of those strippers (the kind you brush on then scrape off, not an electrical stripper) you get at Home Depot or Lowe's.
Does anyone have any experience in this area or can someone recommend a product that might be a little better getting this stuff off?
Thanks, y'all!!!!

murphy1
03-02-2008, 11:57 AM
I have redone a couple of pieces (my dad is a woodcarver and has good tools), but I have only used electrical appliances. It would take me forever with a non-elec one. I did see something on TV that looked really great, it brings it right off, you just brush or rub it on, but I can't remember the name of it offhand.

Piglet822
03-02-2008, 01:36 PM
If you remember what it was let me know. I don't trust myself to do it with an electric sander, I've never used one before and I'm afraid I would ruin the piece.

MsMin
03-02-2008, 02:15 PM
I use the gel stripper and let it set. I've pulled off several layers with just a scrapper and the gel. It's very strong so I only use it in a well ventilated area.

murphy1
03-02-2008, 06:30 PM
That gel stuff sounds good and wear a mask, too! I found the TV stuff, it's called Ready-Strip. you still have to scrape it, but it seemed like a good thing.

Piglet822
03-02-2008, 08:50 PM
I don't mind scraping, the stuff I'm using now is a gel - it's just that one layer of varnish or whatever it is that gives me grief.
I'll just keep plodding along slow but sure. I appreciate the input though, keep 'em coming :)

MNNHFLTX
03-03-2008, 09:45 AM
The same company that makes Ready Strip has a product called Ultra Strip that is more heavy duty in stripping paint, Jeanne. I've had pretty good success with it, but if I have a layer of varnish or a tough layer of paint, I use the sander to scuff it up a bit before applying the chemical stripper again. This seems to help it get under the layer I'm having a problem with.

MsMin
03-03-2008, 09:58 AM
Make sure you let that gel sit a bit. Usually I can see the paint bubbling up. I typically put gel on one section and work on the other.

SgtTigger
03-03-2008, 07:10 PM
I'm trying to strip a dresser and it's driving me nuts (short drive but that's for another post).

I so want to be a part of that post.......... :D

:funny:

:cop: :tigger:

Piglet822
03-04-2008, 06:33 AM
I so want to be a part of that post.......... :D

:funny:

:cop: :tigger:

I figured you would be the one to start that post.
BTW, I thought of you the other night when I went to Red Lobster and orderd the stuffed flounder..................:eyes:

Johnno52
03-06-2008, 08:21 PM
The finish may be a Shellac or Lacquer based which cannot be removed with normal strippers here is a site that may help you find out the best solution.

http://home.howstuffworks.com/how-to-strip-wooden-furniture.htm

Please keep in mind as previously stated on the safety equipment and air circulation required while using these toxic products.

Good luck