PDA

View Full Version : Diet restrictions help! (DisneyWorld after a Gastric Bypass)

nursetinkerbell04
03-02-2008, 10:07 AM
My problem is not really a problem in itself it is a godsend, but dining at the world is going to make it a very big obstacle. I am traveling with my family including my hubby, kids, my mom and dad, my sister and my niece in Dec 2008. We have been planning this trip for a long time. A lot of the character dining and other meals they really want to do are the buffet, family style one price type. My issue is that I have recently had gastric bypass surgery and at the time we go to Disney I will still only be physically able to eat maybe 1 cup of food at a sitting. I have written to guest services to find out if they would allow me to have child pricing at these types of places, that is what is usually doen in the "real world", but I have not heard back yet. Has anyone else had this issue? The menu dining wont be an issue because I can share with someone. thanks

mrsgaribaldi
03-02-2008, 12:10 PM
Dh had gastric bypass in early Dec 2002 and we took a trip to Disney March 2003. Unfortunately we didn't have any buffet meals since it was just the 2 of us. We would split a meal and we never had any problem with that. Even now we still share meals since they give alot of food. I carry plastic baggies and we take leftovers with us. Usually I'm hungry after a little while and I nibble on the leftovers. I would think that Disney would let you pay for a child's portion at buffets if you had a doctor's letter. I just wanted to wish you luck. DH has lost over 100 pounds. He had a lot of problems immediately after the surgery but he's been doing good so far. If you have any questions, feel free to send me a PM. He had the Roux-en-Y. I know he would be happy to answer your questions. Good luck to you. Let us know how it goes:thumbsup:

nursetinkerbell04
03-02-2008, 12:34 PM
Congrats to you and your hubby for his great success. I have been very fortunate that I have had no complications other than a mild cellutitis around one of the incision sites. Hopefully Disney can work out something for me!!

mrsgaribaldi
03-02-2008, 12:56 PM
I'm so sorry, I thought you said you were having it, not that you had it already. I've been up since 5pm yesterday:blush:
I think that Disney should be able to help you as long as you bring some sort of proof. I'm really interested to see what they say. Please let us know:mickey:

Scrod
03-02-2008, 01:40 PM
This is the right thing to do. Also make sure it is on your master file at Disney, then it will be available for all your dining reservations, etc. Call back to update your reservation with this info. You will likely need to remind the host and your server when you arrive, but minor inconvenience.

Good Luck!

figgie
03-02-2008, 02:08 PM
My best friend had Gastric Bypass over 5 years ago now and we still have our annual passes. She just explains to the waiter about her surgery and they are great. Most times they let her order from the childs menue and charge her for that. Some of the restaurants give her half portions and charge her half. At the buffet type restaurants like Chef Mickey's they charge her the childs fare. It has never been a problem for her. Sometimes we just order a meal to share. She gets plenty and I loose some weight also. A win win situation. When our two couples go together, she shares with her husband and he is always saying, "I always have to sacrifice my body for you!" as he eats what's left over. It's a great joke and we all laugh. Go with a good attitude and enjoy, they will accommodate you all just fine.

Froggee44
06-16-2008, 11:45 PM
My brother in law had gastric bypass several years ago several weeks before going to disney. Every restaurant we went to, he was able to either order something from the kids menu or when we went to a buffet they did charge him the childs price. This was back in 2002, so I am not sure if things have changed. He was able to get all this because his doctor gave him a card similar to a credit card stating that he had bypass and could not eat an adult size portion. Good luck