PDA

View Full Version : Southwest & Luggage?

ltam16
03-01-2008, 04:45 PM
This is our first time flying SW. In the past we have used participating airlines for the luggage deliery to your room.

I don't think SW participates. So when I get to airport I need to get my luggage and bring it to Magical Express Bus?

Tick-Tock
03-01-2008, 05:42 PM
Whether it's a participating airline only matters on the way home. On the way to WDW, it works the same as you've experienced before (they'll deliver to your room). On the way home, you can't check your luggage at the resort, but will take it with you on the bus and check it in at the airport.

CleveRocks
03-01-2008, 07:47 PM
Tick-Tock is 100% correct.

You should just forget the term "participating airline" for now. Upon arrival at Orlando International Airport, everyone on every airline gets the full DME treatment, bus ride and automatic luggage delivery and all. Even if you flew in on Fred's Airline and Car Wax Service, you'd still get the full DME treatment.

wkanack
03-02-2008, 05:54 AM
Hey, just a suggestion. Do a web site search for his book "The empty Carousel" This author was a baggage manager for a airline and has now written a book about his experiences. Interesting read and informative if you don't travel too much. It is also my understanding that this author will respond to questions emailed to him through his web site. I think his web site is theemptycarousel.com give it a try.

Happy travels,
Bill

swampfox28
03-05-2008, 08:03 PM
So you're saying they'll get our bags even if we fly SWA?

Then what's the whole point of "participating airlines?"

I seriously don't have to get my checked bag? Can someone who has flown SWA recently concur with this? (I'm sorry, but I want to be REALLY sure before I abandon my luggage!)

-Sarah

CleveRocks
03-05-2008, 08:44 PM
Please read this again ...
Upon arrival at Orlando International Airport, everyone on every airline gets the full DME treatment, bus ride and automatic luggage delivery and all. Even if you flew in on Fred's Airline and Car Wax Service, you'd still get the full DME treatment.

I don't know how to make it more clear. When you fly into Orlando International Airport, everyone gets the automatic luggage delivery and the bus ride.

EVERYONE.

EVERY AIRLINE.

PERIOD.

It's only on the way TO HOME that airline matters. Since you will be flying SWA home, you will take your bags from your room to the DME bus, the driver will load them under the bus, you'll get them back when you arrive at the airport, and then you go and check your bags with your airline like normal.

swampfox28
03-05-2008, 09:44 PM
I understand your impatience and I appreciate you not telling me off!

I know it seems like I didn't read your post - I did, really! I just wanted to be REALLY sure and was asking for reassurance. I will soon be going on a short trip that (like everyone else, I'm sure) I want to be perfect. I don't want to make some STUPID rookie mistake and screw everything up - can you imagine how it'd feel to be at WDW with NO LUGGAGE? NOT GOOD!

Thanks for your help!:thumbsup:

-Sarah

Piglet822
03-05-2008, 10:01 PM
I'm a nervous traveler myself but I just wanted to try putting you at ease by letting you know that on the inbound portion of your trip (to Orlando) you can most certainly take advantage of the luggage delivery. As CleveRocks mentioned above the phrase "participating airline" only refers to the airlines offering remote airline check in at the resorts.
I am a former DME bus driver and rest assured there were plenty of days I left the airport with not a single piece of luggage in my luggage bays and I had people from all different airlines on board. Just be sure to attach the bright yellow tags that you receive in the mail before you check your luggage at your home airport.

swampfox28
03-05-2008, 10:07 PM
Thanks, Piglet822!!! :cloud9:

Beast_fanatic
03-05-2008, 10:55 PM
Then what's the whole point of "participating airlines?"

Participating airlines is entirely to do with your trip home. In that case, since Southwest doesn't participate in the resort airline check-in, you do have to carry the luggage onto the bus with you (they'll store larger bags beneath the bus).

Taja
03-06-2008, 01:06 PM

I know it seems like I didn't read your post - I did, really! I just wanted to be REALLY sure and was asking for reassurance. I will soon be going on a short trip that (like everyone else, I'm sure) I want to be perfect. I don't want to make some STUPID rookie mistake and screw everything up - can you imagine how it'd feel to be at WDW with NO LUGGAGE? NOT GOOD!

-Sarah

For your return trip home, you can ask Guest Relations in any WDW park or the concierge desk at your WDW resort to check you in online. You just need to present the reservations information at the appropriate check-in time. :thumbsup:

swampfox28
03-06-2008, 01:12 PM
I didn't even THINK of that - that's a great idea - THANKS!!! :mickey:

CleveRocks
03-06-2008, 11:02 PM

-SarahI actually wasn't feeling impatient, and I'm sorry if it came off that way.

I was just trying to make things clearer for you. :mickey:

Have a great trip!

swampfox28
03-07-2008, 07:03 PM
No problem. I really appreciate the clarification! I need all the help I can get!! :D

We're looking forward to the trip - crossed fingers for pretty weather in mid April!

-Sarah