PDA

View Full Version : March Cooking w/ INTERCOT

Carol
03-01-2008, 07:54 AM
Share your recipes & tips, ask advice, get ideas...

It's all about Cooking with INTERCOT for March! :gold: :ebasket:

:eat: :pizza: :popcorn: :mcoffee: :stir:

tinkerbell04
03-01-2008, 10:56 AM
Hey Everyone.
I am looking for a recipe for butter cream easter eggs....can anyone help???

disneydrmr
03-05-2008, 09:36 AM
Hey! I'm sorry.. but I've scoured the internet and every recipe site I know of looking for a Butter Cream Egg recipe for you.. and I'm not finding any... I found lots of "Chocolate Cream" and stuff like that but non that specifically state "Butter Cream". Wish I could've been more help.

tinkerbell04
03-05-2008, 11:18 AM
Thanks Diane! You are such a sweetie to go out of your way to look! I have been looking too. I remember my great grandmother making them when I was a kid and no one can remember how she did it, but they sure were good :)

disneydrmr
03-05-2008, 12:37 PM
Danielle..

I know you were wanting a recipe.. but I did find on fanniemay dot com that they have them to sell. I saw some other 'candy store' sights that had them to sell also.. but Fannie May was the only one I recognized...

It's such a shame that some of the best recipes die off with our elders.. I know that my grandma took some wonderful recipes with her to the grave...

caryrae
03-05-2008, 07:56 PM
Is it possible to use this recipe but leave out the coconut or would that not work?

Coconut Cream Easter Eggs
6 tb Butter; melted
1/3 c Light corn syrup
2 ts Vanilla extract
1/2 ts Salt
3 1/2 c Powdered sugar
10 oz Sweetened Coconut Flakes
Additional powdered sugar
SIMPLE CHOCOLATE COATING:
12 oz Chocolate Chips (Semi-Sweet)
2 tb Shortening*, plus an additional
2 ts Shortening*

*(Do NOT use butter, margarine or oil)

1. In large bowl, stir together butter, corn syrup, vanilla and salt. Gradually add powdered sugar and coconut, beating until blended.

2. Sprinkle about 1 tablespoon additional powdered sugar on flat surface. Spoon coconut mixture onto prepared surface; knead about 5 minutes. Using 1-1/2 teaspoons mixture for each candy, shape into egg shape. Place on wax paper-covered tray.

3. Refrigerate 1 to 2 hours before dipping into SIMPLE CHOCOLATE COATING. Place coated eggs on wax paper-covered tray. Store in cool, dry place. About 40 candies.

SIMPLE CHOCOLATE COATING

1. In medium heat-proof bowl, place chocolate chips and shortening. In separate large heat-proof bowl, put very warm water (100 F. to 110 F.) to 1-inch depth. Carefully place bowl with chocolate into bowl with water; water should come halfway up side of chocolate bowl.

2. With dry rubber scraper, stir chocolate and shortening CONSTANTLY, until chocolate and shortening are melted and mixture is smooth. Do NOT get water in bowl with chocolate.* If water cools, replace it with very warm water as directed above. Remove chocolate bowl from inside water bowl.

3. With fork, one at a time, dip chilled centers into chocolate mixture; gently tap fork on edge of bowl to remove excess chocolate.** Invert coated center on prepared tray; swirl small amount of melted chocolate on top to cover fork marks; let stand until firm. Store candies loosely covered in cool, dry place. Coating for 3 to 4 dozen centers.

* If water or moisture gets into chocolate, it can seize and tighten. As an emergency measure, ONLY, stir in additional shortening, 1/2 teaspoonful at a time, just until chocolate is fluid again.

** If chocolate mixture cools below 84 F, return bowl with chocolate into bowl with warm water. Chocolate is best for coating between 84 F. and 88 F.

caryrae
03-05-2008, 08:04 PM
or maybe this one you just need to shape it to egg shapes.

Vanilla Butter Cream Recipe courtesy Shane Candy Company

1 pound sugar
3 1/4 ounces regular corn syrup
1 teaspoon vanilla
3 1/4 ounces water
3 1/4 ounces butter
1 1/2 ounces flour
Melted chocolate, for dipping

Cook the sugar, corn syrup, vanilla, and water in a saucepan over medium heat to 245 degrees F. At 235 degrees F wash down the side of the pan with a brush soaked in water to remove sugar crystals. Pour the cooked batch into a mixing bowl and let it cool to 110 degrees F. If sugar crystals form on top of the batch as it is cooling, sprinkle the sugar crystals lightly with water to dissolve.
Melt the butter. When the sugar mixture reaches 110 degrees F, start the mixer on slow speed and add the flour and butter. Continue mixing until batch becomes semi-firm. Pour batch onto a table (previously sprinkled with flour). Dip hands into flour and knead batch until it is soft and creamy. Take small sections of the batch and roll it into a 1-inch diameter tube. Cut the tube with a butter knife into bite size pieces. Roll each piece and place on waxed paper. Keep at room temperature (65 to 75 degrees F) for 4 to 24 hours. Coat the pieces with chocolate. The coated vanilla butter creams may be eaten after another 24 hours.

tinkerbell04
03-06-2008, 09:39 AM
Coconut Cream Easter Eggs
6 tb Butter; melted
1/3 c Light corn syrup
2 ts Vanilla extract
1/2 ts Salt
3 1/2 c Powdered sugar
10 oz Sweetened Coconut Flakes
Additional powdered sugar
SIMPLE CHOCOLATE COATING:
12 oz Chocolate Chips (Semi-Sweet)
2 tb Shortening*, plus an additional
2 ts Shortening*

Vanilla Butter Cream Recipe courtesy Shane Candy Company

1 pound sugar
3 1/4 ounces regular corn syrup
1 teaspoon vanilla
3 1/4 ounces water
3 1/4 ounces butter
1 1/2 ounces flour
Melted chocolate, for dipping

Thanks! I will try these, they look pretty similar and this looks along the lines of what I was looking for. You are great!:mickey:

jeddalynn
03-07-2008, 09:50 AM
I'm excited and want to share!

I'm just finishing up doing an almost-spring-ultra-kitchen organization in preperation for an attempt at once a month cooking! I tried a mass cook-off a couple years ago and it went pretty well (got a few weeks of suppers done) but now I'm super organized and am aiming to stock the freezer with about 30 meals! :tasty:

I've got the whole day set aside, and I've got a good book on my mp3 player which I downloaded for FREE from my library (thanks, library!)I did all the shopping yesterday and carefully spent 157.00, out of which I hope to make close to 30 meals (very proud of my miserlyness :bow:)

I'm hoping this is going to save me time and money! I'll report on how it goes!

tinkerbell04
03-07-2008, 10:14 AM
WOW! Good luck with your adventure! Keep us posted on how you make out and let us know what kind of dishes you decided to make!

JanetMegan
03-07-2008, 12:31 PM
Man that sounds right up my alley. I found a good deal on a WHOLE pork butt today (like 16 LBS worth) so let's share some good pork butt recipes ;)

offwego
03-09-2008, 11:59 AM
Janet, the only thing I do with that is make shredded pork in bbq sauce (mix brown sugar, liquid smoke, prepared chili sauce dry mustard thyme, salt and pepper to your taste with a dash of hot sauce if that's you and a splash of worstershire you need about 1.5 cups of this per 3lbs in a slow cooker)

Mac & cheese (request from a different thread)

aprox 1/2 pound elbow macaroni
1/2 cup butter
1/3 cup flour
dash of dry mustard, nutmeg (prefer fresh ground) caynne pepper & salt and pepper to taste
1 cup milk
1/3 cup half and half cream
2 cups shredded old cheddar (I prefer white)
1/4 cup dried bread crumbs
boil water (start sauce while water is heating then cook elbows for aprox 1 minute less then package says)

Melt butter in saucepan, when melted pour off 2 tbls into a small bowl, add breadcrumbs and stir with a fork set aside for your topping.

Into remaining butter over med. heat add flour, spices and stir to remove any lumps, cook for aprox 2 minutes.

Still on the same heat add milk & cream whisking or stiring rapidly to combine, add the milk in a slow stream or add in aprox half, stir well then add in rest depending on how easy you find stirring and pouring.

Bring to a simmer (to get the roux to thicken the sauce you must get it to full heat), simmer for aprox 3-5 minutes.

take off heat, add cheese in aprox 3 additions stirring until melted each time.

When pasta is cooked, drain, combine with sauce (I normally do this in the pasta pot itself to give you sufficent room to really stir it up) it will look liquid but that's ok!

Pour into buttered corning ware or lasagna pan. sprinkle with the reserved bread crumbs..bake at 350 20-25 minutes. (can be done ahead and refrigreated..add aprox 10 minutes to baking time)

Short Ribs in blackberry sauce

3lbs cross cut shortribs (ie thick ones)
1 bottle cab sauv wine
1 large onion diced
2 carrots cut corsely
1 small bulb fennell sliced (don't use the top frondy bits)
1 bunch thyme & 5 fresh sage leaves
1/4 cup olive oil
1 jar (small size) black berry jam
3 cups (aprox) beef stock
1 cup chicken stock.

Add oil to a skillet, heat on med. high, sear ribs and remove to a large dutch oven or slow cooker (if you use a slow cooker you'll need less stock).

In same pan brown vegetables then add wine and reduce wine to 1/3 (this is going to take aprox 30 minutes depending on how wide your skillet is the bigger your skillet the less time it will take). Pour over the ribs add the herbs, stock and jam and simmer for 2-3 hours over low heat (slow cooker would be 6 hours on low)

Cool slightly, strain liquid, discard vegetables (but obviously not your shortribs!!) set the ribs aside, reduce liquid by 1/2 at least over med high heat (if you used a slow cooker you'll need to reduce it by more your looking for a sauce that coats a spoon). Add the ribs back in over low heat for a few moments.

Serve with mac and cheese.

JanetMegan
03-10-2008, 08:48 AM
I made some boneless beef short ribs last night and it was one of the best dishes I have ever made, I'll go look up the recipe shortly and post--

JanetMegan
03-10-2008, 09:29 AM
Short Rib Bourguignonne Danny Boome Ltd 2007
Show: Rescue Chef
Episode: Short Rib Rescue

Rub:
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon paprika
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon black pepper
3 to 4 pounds beef short ribs, cut into thirds

3 to 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
1/2 cup bacon lardoons, diced (I just used chopped bacon)
2 large white onions, sliced
4 shallots, quartered
1 pound mushrooms
1 cup celery, diced
1/2 cup carrots, diced
2 cups red wine or half bottle (I used a Shiraz)
4 cups beef stock or to cover (It only took about 2 1/2 cups to cover mine)

Preheat oven to 350 to 375 degrees F.
Combine flour, paprika, cayenne pepper and black pepper in a bowl. Add the short ribs, coating them lightly in the flour mixture.

In a large Dutch oven or deep oven-proof pot over medium heat, melt butter until golden. Add the ribs, shaking off any excess flour. Sear the meat until brown, moving the ribs around covering them with the butter. In the same pot, saute the bacon for 2 to 3 minutes then add the onions, shallots, mushrooms, celery and carrots and saute until golden. Deglaze the pan with the red wine, adding a little at a time. Let reduce over high heat for 1 minute. Add the rest of the wine and beef stock, and bring to a simmer. Once the liquid has come to a simmer, cover, and cook in the oven for 2 to 3 hours. Taste and adjust seasoning.
-------------------------------------------------------

Ok changes I made-I used boneless beef short ribs, they had been trimmed of some of their fat. I also added about 2 tablespoons of flour after cooking the veggies (which I cooked a good while-maybe 10 mins?) This dish was GREAT served over mashed potatoes. I did about 3 hours in the oven total.

Mufasa
03-10-2008, 09:51 AM
Short Ribs in blackberry sauce

Short ribs are an excellent dish to prepare year round, and that is an interesting recipe because it's almost exactly like the short ribs preparation they feature at the Napa Rose restaurant at Disney's Grand Californian hotel and was part of the first Napa Rose Cooking School at Disney's California Food and Wine festival.

Here's the Napa Rose's take on their Cabernet Blackberry Braised Prime Beef Short Ribs

About 6 pounds short ribs, preferably prime (you're looking for about a 2" thick cut when shopping for short ribs)
About 2 tablespoons kosher salt
2 tablespoons coarse black pepper
2 cups frozen unsweetened blackberries with juice, thawed
2-3 tablespoons neutral cooking oil (at Napa Rose they use about a 90% canola to 10% olive oil mixture. The flash point is much higher using this mixture than pure olive oil)
1 large onion, diced
2 medium carrots, trimmed, roughly sliced
1 fennel bulb, trimmed, roughly sliced (you can substitute a few stalks of celery here instead)
6 fresh thyme sprigs
5 fresh sage leaves
1 (750-milliliter) bottle Cabernet Sauvignon
2 cups veal demi-glace
About 4 to 6 cups low-sodium chicken stock (veal stock is preferable, but with the use of demi glace you can use chicken stock)

Garnish: Fresh blackberries

Cook's notes: The term prime refers to the highest USDA beef grade. Chef Andrew Sutton says you can use a lower grade if you can't get your hands on prime. It will still be delicious.

Demi-glace is a rich brown sauce. It's sold refrigerated in the meat department in some markets.

Season ribs with kosher salt and pepper. (Mufasa's note- I'll rough crush the peppercorns by wrapping in a towel and rolling over them with a rolling pin or take the cabernet bottle and use that as a rolling pin to just rough crack the peppercorns). You really want to coat the short ribs well with the salt/peppercorn combination- like preparing steak au poivre.

Refrigerate for about 2 hours (Mufasa's note- usually I'll pull the short ribs from the refrigerator about an hour before I start cooking in preparation for searing).

Place blackberries in food processor fitted with metal blade. (for a nice added take on the dish, you may want to also add 2 tablespoons of a nice maple syrup here). Process until pureed; set aside.

Heat oil on medium-high heat in large, deep skillet or saute pan. Add ribs, meaty-side down. Brown on all sides, turning with tongs. Really take care to brown them well- put them in the pan and let them sit. Don't press them, or disturb them until they've got some color on them. You want a good browning crust on the short ribs.

Remove the meat and set it aside; reduce heat to medium. Add onion, carrot and fennel (this is your mirepoix- traditionally in French cooking you're looking for a 2:1:1 ratio of onions to carrot and fennel/celery but it doesn't have to be exact)

Brown vegetables, stirring frequently. Add herbs and wine. Bring to boil on high heat; reduce heat to medium and simmer until reduced by 3/4 in volume.

Carefully pour wine-vegetable mixture into large dutch oven. Add blackberry puree, ribs and demi-glace. Add enough stock to cover ribs by 2 inches. Bring to boil on high heat. Reduce heat to medium-low and cover; simmer 2 1/2 to 3 hours or until tender (the meat offers no resistance when pierced by a paring knife). Allow ribs to cool in liquid 1 hour.

If you're going to be serving this immediately, I think it's important with any short rib preparation to let it cool and rest in the liquid at room temperature for at least an hour.

Remove ribs from liquid. Strain the liquid (really press the vegetables to extract as much liquid as possible) and skim fat from liquid and discard fat. On high heat, reduce liquid until thickened sauce-like consistency is reached. Strain once more. Remove meat from bone and place in roasting pan. Pour sauce on top. Cover and refrigerate overnight.

Place in 375-degree oven until heated through, about 25 minutes. Divide meat among 6 dinner plates. Spoon sauce over meat. Garnish with fresh blackberries. Serve immediately.

Yield: 6 servings

Nutritional information (per serving, not including salad): Calories 870 (52 percent from fat); fat 50 g; protein 30 g; carbohydrates 38 g; fiber less than 1 g; cholesterol 170 g; sodium 810 mg; calcium 55 mg.

For wine pairing with the short ribs, Napa Rose's Master Sommelier Michael Jordan recommends something like the 2000 Water Wheel Bendigo Shiraz (Bendigo, Australia), about $13. Or 1999 Marcelina Cabernet Sauvignon (Napa Valley), about $23 (you want a wine with medium tannin and good fruit characteristics).

You can serve the dish with an Autumn Potato and Grilled Corn Salad

1 1/2 pounds Good Potatoes (Fingerling, Red new or Gold)
2 C Grilled Corn Kernels (approximately 5 cobs). Chef Sutton likes to shuck the corn, boil, brush the cobs with oil, salt, pepper and lime juice then grill on all sides)
1 C Creamed Corn
1 C Cut Green beans- blanched
2/3 C Grilled Red Onions (cut onions into rings, then grill the same way as the corn)
2 TB Chopped Thyme
1 TB Chopped Sage
1 TB Chopped Parsley
1/2 C Sour Cream
2 TB Lemon Juice
Salt and Pepper to taste

Get all of your grilling done ahead of time

Cut the Potatoes into bite size wedges.

Place the potatoes in to cold water and bring to a boil. Boil for approximately 20 minutes or until just tender. Drain off all water, and while warm season potatoes with salt and pepper.

Place warm potatoes in a mixing bowl and add all the other ingredients.

You can serve it warm, or chill and serve after re-heating.

Mufasa
03-10-2008, 09:59 AM
Here's another of the Napa Rose's signature dishes:

Portobello Mushroom Cappuccino Bisque with Brandied Thyme Froth

serves six

Portobello Cappuccino can be prepared ahead of time and reheated

1 TB Butter
1/2 C Sliced shallots
1 C Sliced Portobello Mushrooms (gills removed)
2 C Sliced White Mushrooms
1/2 C Medium dry Sherry (Amontillado works well)
1 qt Heavy Cream
1 C Veal Demi-glace
1 bunch Thyme
2 each (Bay Leaf)
1 tsp. Lemon juice
Salt
Pepper

Saute shallot in melted butter until translucent.

Add Portobello Mushrooms and White Mushrooms and continue to saute until they "thow their water" (the liquid inside of the mushroom) approximately 7-10 minutes.

Add Sherry and reduce by half, then add the demi-glace, cream and all herbs.

Simmer for 25 minutes, strain, chill and reserve. Heat when you are ready to serve your guests.

Garnish Soup with:

1 C Julienned Portobellas (stems and gills removed, then sauteed until tender)
2 TB Freshly Chopped Thyme
1 TB Freshly Chopped Sage
2 TB Brandied Froth

To serve: Strain the soup and bring it to a boil. Add chopped thyme. Adjust seasoning with salt, cracked black pepper and 1 tsp lemon juice.

Warm six coffee cups up and place the sliced and sauteed Portobello Mushrooms in the bottom of each coffee cup.

Add the hot soup and top with the brandied froth.

Brandied Thyme Froth for the top:

1 C Cold Heavy whipping cream
2 TB Chopped Fresh Thyme
1/2 tsp Salt
1/2 tsp. Black Pepper
2 TB Brandy or Cognac

Place all ingredients in a mixing bowl and whip up to a soft peak.

offwego
03-10-2008, 10:00 AM
Your right Mufasa..it is a "take off" on that dish. (I changed stuff to allow for the fact I can't get my hands on veal demi glace and that frozen blackberries are twice as much as the jam..the jam makes the sauce thicker somehow and address the richness issue. Nor can I ever find shortribs of that size here...

Somehow I can't see Disney using jam but heh it works for me! (weirdly however I've never been to Disneyland and not had that dish in it's meant to be format..just my own version)

Mufasa
03-10-2008, 10:10 AM
Your right Mufasa..it is a "take off" on that dish. (I changed stuff to allow for the fact I can't get my hands on veal demi glace and that frozen blackberries are twice as much as the jam..the jam makes the sauce thicker somehow and address the richness issue. Nor can I ever find shortribs of that size here...

The short ribs are hard to source- I had to corner Chef Sutton once to find out where the restaurant got their short ribs and they have them specially cut for them from a supplier. I have actually found some pretty good substitutes actually at a local asian market here since that style short-rib cut is fairly common for Korean style ribs (kalbi)

Demi-glace is getting easier to find now and even Chef Sutton admitted to sometimes just purchasing it at the local supermarket when he's cooking at home (although I figure he'd just snag some from the restaurant if he really needed it since they roast their own bones to make stock daily and prepare their demi-glace from scratch).

I've found pouches of Demi-glace available at Whole Foods, Trader Joe's and Wegmans, although they do differ quite a bit in their quality.

The latest crazy ingredient usually limited to professional restaurant kitchens that I'm fond of is D'artagnan rendered duck fat (their prepared duck confit is also excellent) which I order via Zingerman's in Ann Arbor, MI. The stuff is awesome, especially if you're pan-roasting some potatoes or other vegetables.

offwego
03-10-2008, 10:19 AM
I've found pouches of Demi-glace available at Whole Foods, Trader Joe's and Wegmans, although they do differ quite a bit in their quality.

The latest crazy ingredient usually limited to professional restaurant kitchens that I'm fond of is D'artagnan rendered duck fat (their prepared duck confit is also excellent) which I order via Zingerman's in Ann Arbor, MI. The stuff is awesome, especially if you're pan-roasting some potatoes or other vegetables.
See Canada hasn't gone the route of upscale grocery often (or at least not in my small town of 25,000) & I can't order food internationally. The short cut I can however ask for at my butchers counter they are just not nearly as thick as they are looking for. (I also do a ginger tomato one that's quite yummy)

Mufasa
03-10-2008, 10:21 AM
The other short rib preparation I'm fond of is from Suzanne Goin (of LA's Lucques and A.O.C)- she has a great cookbook that I'll refer to regularly called Sunday Suppers at Lucques

6 flanken-style beef short ribs (14 to 16 ounces each)
1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves
1 tablespoon black pepper, or to taste
1 1/2 tablespoons kosher salt, or to taste
3 dozen small pearl onions
8 tablespoons olive oil
1 medium onion, chopped
1 small carrot, chopped
1 small celery stalk, chopped
4 sprigs fresh thyme
2 bay leaves
2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
1 1/2 cups port
2 1/2 cups red wine
6 cups beef or veal stock
4 sprigs flat-leaf parsley

1. Sprinkle the short ribs with 1 tablespoon of thyme and 1 tablespoon pepper, rubbing them into the meat with your hands. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
2. Before cooking, let the ribs sit at room temperature for 1 hour. Set the oven at 425 degrees.
3. Sprinkle the ribs with 1 tablespoon of the salt.
4. Toss the onions with 2 tablespoons of the oil, 1 teaspoon thyme, 3/4 teaspoon salt, and a pinch of pepper. Spread them on a rimmed baking sheet and roast them for 15 minutes or until they are very tender. When they are cool, slip off the skins with your fingers and set the onions aside. Turn the oven down to 325.
5. In a large skillet, heat 3 tablespoons of the oil over high heat until it is almost smoking. Sear the short ribs, meaty sides down, working in batches to avoid crowding, until they are browned on their meaty sides. Transfer to a roasting pan large enough to hold the ribs standing up in one layer.
6. Turn the heat down to medium, add the onion, carrot, celery, thyme sprigs, and bay leaves to the skillet. Cook, stirring to scrape the crusty bits in the pan, for 6 to 8 minutes, or until the vegetables begin to caramelize.
7. Add the vinegar, port, and wine. Turn the heat to high, and let the liquid bubble steadily until they reduce by half.
8. Pour in the stock and return the mixture to a boil. Pour the liquid over the short ribs; it should almost cover them. Tuck the parsley around the meat. Cover tightly with foil.
9. Braise for about 3 hours, or until the meat offers no resistance when pierced with a paring knife. Let the ribs rest for 10 minutes in their juices. Remove them from the oven and then transfer them to a rimmed baking sheet.
10. Turn the oven temperature to 400 degrees. Roast the ribs for 10 to 15 minutes, or until browned.
11. Meanwhile, strain the cooking juices into a saucepan, pressing the vegetables to extract all the liquid. Skim off and discard the fat. Bring to a boil and let the mixture simmer to reduce it so it thickens slightly. Taste for seasoning and add more salt and pepper, if you like.

offwego
03-10-2008, 04:53 PM
Mufasa the double roasting is unique..(well searing then roasting at the end)

Do you want me to bring in the tomato ginger one? It's more "stew" like then either of these but still very very yummy.

PlutoToo
03-12-2008, 08:24 PM
Offwego, I don't know about Mufasa, but I'd like the recipe. I'm tired of cooking the same things..

MissStyles
03-19-2008, 02:20 PM
Taken from one of my favorite baking sites:

Cadbury Creme Egg Muffins
(http://bakingbites.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/03/cadburymuffin.jpg) (click for photo)
2 cups all purpose flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
3/4 cup sugar
2 large eggs
1/3 cup butter, melted and cooled
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 cup milk
12 mini Cadbury creme eggs (not full size)

Preheat oven to 350F. Line a 12-cup muffin tin with paper liners.
In a large mixing bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder and salt.
In a small mixing bowl, whisk together sugar, eggs, melted butter and vanilla until smooth. Whisk in milk.
Pour wet ingredients into dry ingredients and stir until just combined and no streaks of flour remain. Evenly distribute muffin batter into prepared pan. Place 1 mini Cadbury creme egg in the center of each muffin. You can use a small knife to pull a bit of batter over the top of the mufin, if you like.
Bake for 14-16 minutes, until the top of the muffin springs back when lightly pressed and the edges are a light gold.
Cool on a wire rack before slicing.

:egg: Makes 12. :egg:

ErinElectronaut
03-19-2008, 10:03 PM

(http://bakingbites.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/03/cadburymuffin.jpg) (click for photo)
2 cups all purpose flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
3/4 cup sugar
2 large eggs
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 cup milk

In a small mixing bowl, whisk together sugar, eggs, melted butter and vanilla until smooth. Whisk in milk.
Pour wet ingredients into dry ingredients and stir until just combined and no streaks of flour remain. Evenly distribute muffin batter into prepared pan. Place 1 mini Cadbury creme egg in the center of each muffin. You can use a small knife to pull a bit of batter over the top of the mufin, if you like.
Bake for 14-16 minutes, until the top of the muffin springs back when lightly pressed and the edges are a light gold.

Oh my gosh!! That muffin picture just convinced me.... I must purchase some mini Cadbury cream eggs this weekend before they are all gone.....

Awesome recipe!!! :thumbsup:

disneydrmr
03-20-2008, 08:27 AM
Anyone have a good recipe for Beanie Weenies? My grandma used to make the best ones but the recipe went to the grave with her. Her sauce was thick and tangy so I'm looking for a recipe that will have a thick and tangy sauce also. Thanks!

offwego
03-20-2008, 09:20 AM
Di do you mean baked beans or some kinda hotdog thing? Sorry..I'm just not sure what your looking for...I have lots of slow cooker receipes for baked beans however.

disneydrmr
03-20-2008, 10:19 AM
Di do you mean baked beans or some kinda hotdog thing? Sorry..I'm just not sure what your looking for...I have lots of slow cooker receipes for baked beans however.

Hmmm.. maybe Beanie Weenies are an American thing... it's a baked bean dish with hot dog slices in it... I don't like the store bought ones (too runny) but the ones my grandma made were the best!

Dragongirlx
03-20-2008, 11:49 AM
Since its easter here is a nice recipie for Rabbit Stew :thedolls:
MARINATED RABBIT STEW

A lemon-herb marinade blends with the flavour or rabbit to make a pleasantly spicy stew. Plan to start the day before - for best results, the rabbit should marinate for 24 hours. For 4 servings you will need:

3-4 lb. rabbit, cut up
1/3 c. olive oil
3 tbsp. fresh lemon juice
2 1/2 tbsp. soy sauce
2 tsp. grated lemon rind
4 cloves garlic, minced or pressed
1 tsp. dried rosemary
1/2 tsp. fennel seeds
1 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. black pepper
1/4 c. all-purpose flour
2-3 tbsp. butter
1/4 c. Madeira or dry sherry
3 c. chicken broth
1 bay leaf
2 tbsp. all-purpose flour
Parsley for garnish

1. Rinse rabbit and pat dry. Place into deep bowl or plastic bag. Set aside.

2. Combine olive oil, lemon juice, soy sauce, lemon rind, garlic, rosemary and fennel. Pour over rabbit. Cover and refrigerate for 24 hours.

3. Drain and place rabbit pieces on waxed paper. Sprinkle on both sides with salt, black pepper and flour.

4. Heat butter in heavy skillet and brown rabbit until golden. Transfer to deep casserole.

5. Add Madeira or sherry to pan. Heat to boiling. Add broth. Boil and scrape pan clean.

6. Pour over rabbit. Add bay leaf. Cover and bake at 350 degrees for 1 1/2 to 2 hours or until rabbit is very tender. Remove rabbit to serving dish and keep warm.

7. Add flour to skillet. Stir in 2 to 3 tablespoons juices to make a paste. Gradually add remaining juices. Cook, stirring, until thickened.

8. Pour sauce over rabbit and garnish with parsley.

Happy Easter :bunny:

tinkerbell04
03-22-2008, 08:37 AM

2 cups all purpose flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
3/4 cup sugar
2 large eggs
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 cup milk

Soiunds yummy :) Thanks! I am going to make these for Easter.

JanetMegan
03-24-2008, 12:43 PM
I have a lot of baked beans leftover from Easter, does anyone have a recipe for a casserole with them in it, and maybe ground beef or something?

JanetMegan
03-25-2008, 08:41 AM
I tried a new recipe last night due to the fact that I had a ton of leftover honeybaked ham from Easter and it was SOOO good I had to share.
This should feed a family of four easily or a smaller group with leftovers (we are going to be able to eat it twice no problem, it made a lot.)

You Need:
2 cups chopped or diced Ham
24 oz shredded frozen hash browns (my bag was 32oz and I used 3/4 of it or so)
1 can cream of potato soup
1 can cheddar cheese soup
2 cups sour cream
2 cups shredded cheese (really of yoru choice, I used sharp cheddar)-divide this
1 chopped onion (medium)

Use a big bowl to mix hash browns, ham, 1 cup of the cheese and onion. Use a smaller bowl and wisk together sour cream, soups and I threw in a few good cranks of black pepper. Then mix the two bowls together and smash it into a baking dish (I used the standard 11x13 clear glass kind spraed with cooking spray). Bake at 350 for about an hour and 10 mins, maybe a little more. Half way through, top with the extra shredded cheese.

Tasty comfort food, probably not the healthiest thing on the planet but we had green beans with it, so that helped-ha ha!