PDA

View Full Version : March Healthy Living Thread

Carol
03-01-2008, 07:44 AM
Share your March diet - excercise - lifestyle questions, concerns, tips and experiences here!

Good Luck, Everyone! :cheer:

:hurdle: :walk: :rope: :strong: :lift: :trampo: :bowl:

lovewalt
03-01-2008, 08:54 PM
Hello All.I have been absent from the healthy living club and from INTERCOT in general.But I'm back and would like to rejoin the club.I have tried and failed many times at weight loss and I'm giving it another shot.I actually went through all the pre-op testing and counseling to have Lap Band surgery last spring but in the end I chickened out.:chicken:
So it's back to good 'ol tried and true diet and exercise for me.I joined Weight Watchers (for the 3rd time in the past 5 years!)on January 21 and have had a total weight loss of 18.8 lbs so far.A good start but still a long road ahead.I also signed up to join a gym that is opening next month.So I guess I have another month to put off exercising.I have a virus that has my asthma acting up big time so I couldn't exercise right now even if I wanted to!I am also on a steroid for the lung issue so I would not be surprised if I have a small weight gain because of it.But I need to breath so what can I do?
Anyway,that's what's going on with me.I'll check back in Monday after my weigh in.:scale:
Good luck everyone!

Gooftroop5
03-03-2008, 12:52 PM
Back to exercising today full out anyways. Finally able to move without coughing and can breath without gasping when I walk upstairs. 2 weeks of being like this. Unfortunatley I gained 3lbs. Also didn't reach my goal for the month of February. However not getting discouraged know that being sick is why. I will lose the 3lbs and get right back on track with my monthly goal. DH gained 1lb. He was sick too but unlike me he was better after 1 week. Used me as an excuse as to why he didn't exercise.

Looking forward to it. I always like how I feel when I eat right and exercise. A lot more energy and not so moody either.

DizNee143
03-04-2008, 09:57 AM
so last week i started working out...
a few weeks ago..i sucked into an infommerical..it was for The Firm..and well after much debate..and then finding it for half the price on a different website i went for it..
so far so good...ive been sore..but hopefully that will go away soon!! lol...but i havent changed my diet...i just wanted to get some exercise in my life..maybe..ill slowly start changing it soon..but i like just knowing im moving around more..and today i actually felt a change..its hard to explain..pants fit a wee bit better..and i just feel good..i just hope i can keep up with it and continue for a looooong time!!:)

Gooftroop5
03-06-2008, 01:02 PM
Does anybody do food & exercise journals? Dh & I are starting back doing one on Monday. We are not losing the way we should and I think we are either too many or not enough calories. It does help to see what works and what doesn't including the exercise.

However I find that it gets stressful at times too. Not that I overeat but its the end of the day and I have a ton of left over calories. Also I end being the one that has to figure everything out. Dh doesn't help with it. He might write down what he eats but I pack his lunch & snacks for the day and I also have to be the one that breaks down dinner to figure out how many calories it is. Which means I have to measure everything & portion it out. Its like he has his own personal dietician, chef & trainer. :mad:

Any suggestions to get dh involved more into it or should I just accept he isn't going to do it on his own and a lot of people pay good money for this type of person? He will exercise on his own when I am out for the evening and he didn't want to get up in the morning. He wants to lose the weight but I know if I don't do it he won't do what is necessary to lose the weight. He even tells me how he feels better when he eats right & exercises.

tennantsrwe
03-06-2008, 02:45 PM
The weather can be so fickle in March, especially in the South. One day its 65 and the next its back to the 30's. I try to get my exercise in, although I'm ashamed to admit I'm not always the most consistent person in the world, with Leslie Sansone Walk Away the Pounds dvds. There is such a variety of her dvd's out there I'm able to change them up whenever I get tired of one program and I really enjoy them. They're a good work out too, but no so hard you feel like you can't keep up. Plus it takes away the excuse of 'it's raining, can't walk today.' :thumbsup:

Here we go again...
03-09-2008, 03:14 AM
Does anybody do food & exercise journals? Dh & I are starting back doing one on Monday. We are not losing the way we should and I think we are either too many or not enough calories. It does help to see what works and what doesn't including the exercise.

However I find that it gets stressful at times too. Not that I overeat but its the end of the day and I have a ton of left over calories. Also I end being the one that has to figure everything out. Dh doesn't help with it. He might write down what he eats but I pack his lunch & snacks for the day and I also have to be the one that breaks down dinner to figure out how many calories it is. Which means I have to measure everything & portion it out. Its like he has his own personal dietician, chef & trainer. :mad:

Any suggestions to get dh involved more into it or should I just accept he isn't going to do it on his own and a lot of people pay good money for this type of person? He will exercise on his own when I am out for the evening and he didn't want to get up in the morning. He wants to lose the weight but I know if I don't do it he won't do what is necessary to lose the weight. He even tells me how he feels better when he eats right & exercises.

Are you doing weight watchers? I am on WW and it is a program where you have to journal your food. I think it would be a little easier because if your DH came home and did not eat his sandwich you would know he missed X amout of points. So tonights meal for him would now be for what ever you were planning plus something worth X amount of points to get him to his points target for the day.

I have been struggling with my WW for a couple of weeks now. Usually it is easy, but since I have been sick, I am having a hard time staying on the program. I have been going up and down about 4 pounds for weeks.

Wish me luch getting back on track.

Gooftroop5
03-09-2008, 03:57 PM
Are you doing weight watchers?

Wish me luch getting back on track.

Good luck!!!! :pixie: Plenty of pixie dust to get back on track!!! I know you can do it.

No we don't do WW doing it on our own. We use to do a food & exercise journal. If I left it for him to fill in it was half filled in if at all. We've trying doing it without keeping a journal. We did this Estrogenic diet that worked to get us kicked started which is how we've lost the 30 Plus lbs. However we too have been yo yoing a few lbs too which is why we are going to start the journal back up. This way we know what we are doing that worked & what isn't plus are we either not eating enough or too much. Doesn't seem possible to under eat but I know at times I do but I don't realize it until I really think about it. All of a sudden at night I realize I missed lunch or breakfast because of the kids or taking care of housework or something else.

He is good about if he doesn't eat something (meeting or problem shooting) making sure he gets his calories in but not at writing it down. We will see how it goes. We are starting tomorrow with the journal (we originally started on a Monday so we are keeping the new stuff to Mondays.) He seems more serious about it this time wish me luck that he will take more interest in it.

daparish
03-12-2008, 08:57 PM
[QUOTE=Here we go again...;1569626
I have been struggling with my WW for a couple of weeks now. Usually it is easy, but since I have been sick, I am having a hard time staying on the program. I have been going up and down about 4 pounds for weeks.

Wish me luch getting back on track.[/QUOTE]

Hang in there Angel. I am also on WW and I am finding it hard and the past couple of weeks I have gotten away from journaling and counting points and I am finding it hard to get back into the swing of things.

TheDuckRocks
03-17-2008, 10:40 AM
OK, it seems that I'm back on track! Lost 1/2 pound week before last and anothe 1 pound this week. Keeping my fingers crossed that I can keep it up. Man, getting used to mid-afternoon pizza on the Disney cruise can really get you into some really baaaaaaaad habits.:blush:

Gooftroop5
03-18-2008, 10:26 AM
OK, it seems that I'm back on track! Lost 1/2 pound week before last and anothe 1 pound this week. Keeping my fingers crossed that I can keep it up.

Good job & keep up the good work.:mickey:

conorsmom2000
03-23-2008, 06:29 PM
Hi everyone!!

I've been away from this thread for way too long so I thought I'd pop in quickly! I'm down about 15 lbs since early December, which is very slow going - but, I'd rather lose slowly than not at all! It's actually been fun getting my clothes out for spring and digging out clothes that I have that are a size smaller (and don't think I've actually ever worn! :blush: I'm always the optimist every winter that I'll lose weight and have a bad habit of buying things for when that happens - for once, it's actually working!!)

I'm still gearing up for a 5k with my sisters on May 3rd. I had been doing great with exercise, but we all got hit with sinus/upper respiratory infections and I've been away from it for about a week now. I hope to get back on track in a few days.

Angel, I know it's hard to get back on track but what helps me to is to spend some time trying to find my motivation again. For me, I'm a sucker for success stories - I love reading about other people's struggles and triumphs with losing weight - it really helps inspire me all over again. (I have some great sites if you are interested). I guess it just helps to know that I'm not alone and that success is attainable. Anyway, I hope you find your way back on track - you've been so well, I know you can do it! :thumbsup:

Keep up the great work everyone!! :)

jeddalynn
03-25-2008, 05:09 AM
I'm frustrated and need some support. I feel like every morning I get up and say "THIS day I'm going to eat right and exercist" but most of the time by the time 5 or 6 pm roles around, i'm exhausted and eatting potato chips on the couch (well, maybe not that bad, but you know what I mean.)

I have one month left before my Disney trip AND I'm a bridesmaid in june. I'm definately not aiming to lose 40 pounds in a month or anything like that but does anyone have any simple advice as to what I could do this month?

Gooftroop5
03-25-2008, 02:42 PM
I'm frustrated and need some support. I feel like every morning I get up and say "THIS day I'm going to eat right and exercist" but most of the time by the time 5 or 6 pm roles around, i'm exhausted and eatting potato chips on the couch (well, maybe not that bad, but you know what I mean.)

anything like that but does anyone have any simple advice as to what I could do this month?

I have so been there & so done that. Basically there is no other advice then just do it. Get rid of the junk food. A food journal helps it shows what you are eating & just because you end up eating wrong just look at tomorrow as being back on your new life. Get up & get moving. There are some good exercise videos or just walk wether on lunch break or anytime you can. Even 10 minutes at a time split over 3 times is good. At least you are moving. There are some great tools out there that you can find out what calorie amount you should eat based on your current weight. I even found one that tells me how many calories to lose weight without exercise. Got to love when they say not eating enough calories can make you gain weight just as much as eating too many. Make sure you eat breakfast.

Listen to me preach...lol. :blush:I try not to because I don't want to offend people. Dh & I have gotten into this new lifestyle & when we end up having an off day (or week or 2 becaue of illness) we regret it. We now get up at 5 am to work out for at least 20 minutes we do both cardio & weight training. I admit I sweat to the oldies most of the time. Dh rides an exercise bike, Nothing major neither of us will be bulky but nice & toned. We found out we have a lot more energy & feel better after we exercise. We take one day off from exercise & have one free day where we can eat anything we want. I have lost 36 lbs & dh is around the same. Its been a slow process & somewhat frustrating but we are going to keep going & when we finally get where we need to be we will look back on it was all worth it.

JanetMegan
03-25-2008, 02:48 PM
As far as the motivation to do something other than sit on the couch I am SOO with you on that one. I keep telling myself the same thing and about 6:30 I'm watching something off the DVR with a glass of wine.

I'll tell you one thing I am going to try (it worked yesterday so that's a start.) I'm literally not going to let myself do anything else in the evening until I have walked. No tv, no crafting, no nothing until I have gotten in 30 mins of SOMETHING active. Yesterday it was walking on the treadmill and scrubbing the tub (since it was too cold to walk outside.)

So hang in there and maybe we can work on it together. I only have a little over a month before I have a trip to Arizona and I don't think any of my summer clothes fit. Like None. Not a single pair of shorts. I even had a nightmare last night that I went on the trip without anything and I think that's why!!

daparish
03-25-2008, 09:38 PM
I agree with getting rid of the junk food. I have been really bad since Friday so I went through the house today and threw away Easter candy and a cake I had left over from an Easter party at my house. I guess tomorrow is another day. I have lost about 18 since January and it is frustrating because it is taking me so long to lose but as my weight watcher leader says "It takes as long as it takes".

TheDuckRocks
03-26-2008, 10:28 AM
Last night at 10:30 found me throwing Easter candy that the grandkids left behind into the trash. Believe me the GKs won't miss or need it and neither will my rear end.:scale:

Bethis26fan
03-26-2008, 04:02 PM
Does anyone have any tips for when your slow at work and board and wanting to eat. The afternoons between 3-5 are awful for me. I blow all the good I've done in those few hours. I've tried the drinking water I'm on my 8th 8 oz glass now.

Beast_fanatic
03-26-2008, 05:00 PM
Does anyone have any tips for when your slow at work and board and wanting to eat. The afternoons between 3-5 are awful for me. I blow all the good I've done in those few hours. I've tried the drinking water I'm on my 8th 8 oz glass now.

Chewing sugar-free gum helps me.

Gooftroop5
03-27-2008, 11:51 AM
Chewing sugar-free gum helps me.

I agree 100% :thumbsup: It helps me too. If you can get away from your desk take a short walk & not to the vending machine. ;)

On a side note. Got outside to exercise last night. It was a nice treat. Too bad it will be a few days before I can do it again. Back to snow tonight. YUCK!!!! :(

bleukarma
03-28-2008, 01:43 PM
Well my ankle is feeling better from the torn ligament so I actually got out and jogged again this week. I know my foot doctor wouldn’t like to hear that, but I really wanted to jog so I did. The best news is, I got on the scale earlier this week and I am down exactly 25 pounds from this time last year! I know a year is a long time for only 25 pounds but I’m happy about it!!!! Clothes fit much better! Last Saturday I went to a wedding and I had nothing to wear…except for a dress that I have been saving for when I lose weight!!!

I still want to lose another 20, and I’ve decided to not put a time limit on it. Even though it took me an entire year to lose 25 pounds, I know it can be done…and that’s the important part. Whether it takes me a few months or another year, I know it will happen. I can’t wait!