PDA

View Full Version : Tell me what's so special about ol' man island?

bkahrens
02-29-2008, 11:21 PM
We are tossing around a trip next January and would do a moderate. CSR or POR are probably the two we'd consider. I like the idea of private busses at CSR but saw there is less to do at CSR since it's a convention spot. However, the pool looks amazing at CSR but according to a WDW guide book POR pool area is rated higher. I need the real story please. Thanks for the input. Also, is there much chance of using a pool in mid January??????

mook3y
02-29-2008, 11:36 PM
Well for starters, the bar is close (wait... guess there is a bar close at all pools at WDW ;) ), there is a small but fun water slide, hot tub right there, little kids wading pool, there is a bar right there, it seems very "away from it all" and there is fishing right next to it if you are so inclined.

McGoofy
03-01-2008, 05:05 AM
Well, of the two, I think I prefer the CSR pool better. It has the cool jaguar slide, which I think is the longest of all the moderates. (I thought I read that somewhere, but someone may correct me on that.) The Mayan pyramid makes for great pool pictures. There is a kiddie pool with little jets that spray up. The hot tub is sort of hidden from the pool area, but is right beside it. There is also a sand/volleyball court area, kids playground, and snack and drink bar as well. Don't get me wrong, I like the POR pool. My son says he loves that slide. I just like the CSR pool better.

#1donaldfan
03-01-2008, 08:14 AM
Well........for me I will always choose POR over CS, because CS is SO BIG, you may have to walk a long, long way from your room to the pool.....and after walking all day at the parks, it's nice to be at POR and have a short walk to the pool. Actually, POR has 5 quiet pools, and 'ol man I......'ol man has the slide, bar, hot tub, kiddie pool, large, large area for sitting, fishing just to the side, a kidie play area with jungle gym type "stuff"....it is TRULY a very nice area to relax.......and a side plus......if you like breakfast, then you'll LOVE Boatwrights, their breakfast is the best at any Disney eatery..........all the above is of course IMHO !!!! :mickey:

BluewaterBrad
03-01-2008, 09:22 AM
We like CSR better:mickey:

Dakota Rose
03-01-2008, 10:21 PM
I'm partial to POR. Ol' man's island feels very secluded and private even when it's crowded. Plus there's a playground nearby and it's close to the food court. I don't know, something about it just makes me feel relaxed.

As for using the pool in January, I guess that depends on how warm you need it to be before you swim. Being from chilly ND, as long as it's 60 degrees when we go next January you'll find us in the pool. :) I mean, January here can be -40 so 60 is 100 degrees warmer!

ToDisney
03-02-2008, 11:23 AM
We haven't been to CS in a while but the kids have been begging to go back there.
They also agree the slide is the longest of the mods.
If your talking about Jan. You might think about POR being very shaded. We were there once when it was pretty cool so we went to the pool at the French Quarter, It had more sun on it and seemed to be warmer. You do have the option of both pools.
It would be really hard to make a selection based on the pools, considering the time of year. I think you should weigh out all the other options too. What kind of food you prefer, you taste in decor, if you mind the walk.(not that there isn't walking to be done at POR) Check out the maps here on intercot... and the pictures at Magical journeys page.
Which ever you choose, Its at Disney, Have fun!!:mickey:

princessjojo
03-02-2008, 11:44 AM
We've done both and just prefer the atmosphere at 'ol man island better. It's more of a kick back and enjoy feeling, and if you get hungry, the food court isn't that far away, whereas at CSR, there really isn't a quick way to run get something to eat. You just plan to go get something for those who may possible get hungry in the next hour or so.

McGoofy
03-02-2008, 03:05 PM
We've done both and just prefer the atmosphere at 'ol man island better. It's more of a kick back and enjoy feeling, and if you get hungry, the food court isn't that far away, whereas at CSR, there really isn't a quick way to run get something to eat. You just plan to go get something for those who may possible get hungry in the next hour or so.

The food court is not right by the pool, but the snack bar/drinks at CSR is just a few feet away from the swimming pool. All you have to do is walk through a few tables and lounge chairs and you are right there.

mook3y
03-02-2008, 04:14 PM
the food court is across a bridge from pool at POR. its not that far.