PDA

View Full Version : What is/was the Epcot Odyssey Center?

azcavalier
02-29-2008, 02:45 PM
We always cut over to the International Showcase that way, and pass by this seemingly empty building. I know that it has restrooms, and I believe a baby center, but what was this thing built for? It seems that it had a purpose, but had been vacated, and now it's just used for temporary things or meetings. Are there any plans for it?

Taja
02-29-2008, 02:47 PM
I *think* it was a restaurant.

I'm sure someone with more knowledge will be along shortly.

Zone Stop
02-29-2008, 02:53 PM
The Odyssey Restaurant (Technically belonging to Future World) opened with the rest of Epcot in 1982. Filled with colorful characters and a myriad of dining choices, it was seen by the Participants in World Showcase as direct competition to their own food offerings, which contributed to it being closed, instead of refurbished, once the theming became dated and tacky. It now serves as a banquet room for events and conventions, as well as housing many Cast facilities, such as their primary cafeteria.

Discovery Diner :number1:

LudwigVonDrake
02-29-2008, 10:12 PM
I usually use it for its bathroom :D

Von-Drake
03-03-2008, 08:09 AM
The Odyssey Restaurant (Technically belonging to Future World) opened with the rest of Epcot in 1982. Filled with colorful characters and a myriad of dining choices, it was seen by the Participants in World Showcase as direct competition to their own food offerings, which contributed to it being closed, instead of refurbished, once the theming became dated and tacky. It now serves as a banquet room for events and conventions, as well as housing many Cast facilities, such as their primary cafeteria.

My family has a great video of the dance show, put on by the characters at lunch one time. It is so funny to watch because Goofy kept knocking my dad's hat off his head (must've been 5 or more times). It is still great to watch for a stroll down memory lane.

SBETigg
03-03-2008, 08:34 AM
I believe it was counter service, wasn't it? I don't remember it being a table service option. I never ate there, though, so I could be mistaken.

jkj1224
03-03-2008, 10:18 PM
it was a CS, it used to have the best chicken and tuna salad...

SpecJoe Magic
03-04-2008, 06:33 AM
I don't recall ever seeing it open. I'm fairly sure that it was open at least a few times when I was at Epcot, but I don't remember it because I was still so young when it closed. Does anyone know what year it closed?

DisneyTeen
03-04-2008, 09:27 AM
I remember it being character dinning. (Micky, Minnie, Pluto, Goofy, Donald) I was young, but I remember there was a stage and the characters would sing and dance and they were wearing like space suits with a rainbow type thing on the elbows and knees. I do remember one song went like "Clap Clap Clap, theres a party going on"

ayeckley
03-04-2008, 01:09 PM
It was open to the public at least one weekend during the Flower and Garden Festival last May; I'd assume that's true every year. One of the competitions was being judged inside - neat to be able to pass through it again. There wasn't any kind of food service. Overall, the building seems to be in better shape on the inside than the outside. As long as they keep the windows clean, I'm happy.

valjane
03-04-2008, 02:34 PM
I also remember it as a counter service. It reminded me a lot of Cosmic Rays in MK.

LauraF
03-04-2008, 03:58 PM
I remember it as a counter service too. (I mostly remember how cool it was to see real flamingos outside the window while we were inside.)

mcjaco
03-04-2008, 05:18 PM
It was strictly counter service. The food was nothing spectacular. Youre typical fair of cheeseburgers, chicken fingers, etc.

I always liked the setting, but with os many other food choices, it seemed repetitive.

mouse-logic
03-04-2008, 05:51 PM
The Odyssey is now home to, among other things, the Illuminations International Dinner and Dessert event that is exclusively available to grand gatherings of 8 or more. We went a few years ago. I think they have this event at least once a week, maybe more. It was enjoyable but expensive. I believe the restaurants from the various countries provide samplings of their food....there is a dinner show, kids participate in the story, and goofy and minnie make an appearance. After dinner, you are led down to a roped off viewing area for Illuminations.

mickey&missy
03-04-2008, 07:27 PM
The Odyssey is now home to, among other things, the Illuminations International Dinner and Dessert event that is exclusively available to grand gatherings of 8 or more. We went a few years ago. I think they have this event at least once a week, maybe more. It was enjoyable but expensive. I believe the restaurants from the various countries provide samplings of their food....there is a dinner show, kids participate in the story, and goofy and minnie make an appearance. After dinner, you are led down to a roped off viewing area for Illuminations.

We're doing this a week from tonight!!