PDA

View Full Version : My kid is a climber!!! HELP!!!!

Flower
02-29-2008, 02:21 PM
Our house is a backsplit, there are about 7 stairs from my kitchen level to the rec room. From my kitchen there are oak spindles looking down into the recroom - the stairs leading down to the rec room have an oak hand rail & oak spindles.

I was in the kitchen with my 4 year old and the 15-month old baby was in the rec room - I can see down and everything is child proof and thus far has not been a problem.

Today, Ben decided to climb up the stairs ON THE OUTSIDE of the banister holding on to the stair spindles - you know, that little 2 inch over hang!!! Is there any way of child proofing the OUTSIDE of my stairs??? He was all the way to the top before I knew it.

I have a :monkey: on my hands!!

Mickey'sGirl
02-29-2008, 02:39 PM
Today, Ben decided to climb up the stairs ON THE OUTSIDE of the banister holding on to the stair spindles - you know, that little 2 inch over hang!!! Is there any way of child proofing the OUTSIDE of my stairs??? He was all the way to the top before I knew it.

I have a :monkey: on my hands!!
I'm laughing as a comrade! DS4 learned to climb up the banister long before he ever used the stairs -- and we call him the Monkey too! I have no words of wisdom, as he still is a climber (but very agile -- so perhaps they perfect their gift with practice?) . Can you put something in front of the railing to inhibit him?

offwego
02-29-2008, 03:15 PM
We also called my son Monkey (and I have a nephew who climed a boookcase to get at brownies so I too hear you)

I agree with Jenn either something in front or along it that would impede access or a whole lot of "no" "no""No" "NO" NONONO" is in your future.

Terra
02-29-2008, 03:29 PM
Is this a boy thing or what!!!????!!!! David LOVES to climb!!!!!!!

Gosh I'm not sure how to baby proof the hangover...What a little risk taker you have!! lol

crazypoohbear
02-29-2008, 03:34 PM
Thank God my kids weren't climbers!!

Can you put up netting of some sort on the outside so he can't grasp the railings?

I too can see a lot of OMG get down!
Dont' do that!
Get back here!
Are you trying to give me a heart attack!

Maybe try enrolling him in a climbing/gymnastic class so he has a safe place for his shenanigans?? :blush:
Good luck with him and perhaps a:beer: might help you out!

thrillme
02-29-2008, 04:41 PM
Sounds rather cool actually.

I agree get him in a gymanstics class to get rid of some of that energy.

In the meantime you can't childproof EVERYTHING...just tell him NO. If he disobeys waste no time putting him in time out.

murphy1
02-29-2008, 06:01 PM
Nope, not just boys, all of my girls do that, plus thanks to Mary Poppins they also like to slide down the banister! We have a plant shelf and my 3 yo climbed onto that. They also like to climb on the counters to get a cup. I am always on them not to do any of this!

Flower
02-29-2008, 08:13 PM
I just can't believe he did this at 15 months!

DS#1 was about 20 months when I went in to get him from a nap he had pulled out 2 top drawers and had crawled onto the dresser and had one foot in each drawer standing there dancing, laughing his little butt off!!! I pulled the tall dresser and the long dresser out of his room because of it! Poor kid only had a bed in his room for the longest time! Now, I have another one on my hands!!!

I wonder about bar-locking cardboard on the outside of the stairs so he has nothing to grasp on to - it won't look pretty but it will only be temporary - Maybe I can decorate it with Mickey paper!!!

:monkey: :monkey: :monkey:

Dakota Rose
02-29-2008, 08:59 PM
DS is a climber too. It's easier now that he's old enough where we can explain to him the consequences of falling off the roof. Yes, he's climbed onto the roof. Long story.

Blocking the stairs is good, but may not be a permanent fix as baby may learn to climb that too. Reiterating "no" and even adding things like "you can get hurt" is good.

I think the cardboard idea is excellent. You could also use plexiglass.

lovewalt
03-01-2008, 09:05 AM
I don't have any suggestions to childproof the back side of your stairs but I do have another suggestion.Lay a mat or some of those interlocking foam pads at the bottom in case he takes a tumble.
You also might try setting up an inside climbing toy and every time you catch him on the stairs you could redirect him to a safe place to climb."No climbing on stairs,THIS is for climbing".
Good Luck with your little :monkey: !

Ian
03-01-2008, 09:19 AM
From one parent of a 15 month old climber to another ... if you figure out how to stop him, please let me know. ;)

DS has been climbing up and down stairs, bannisters, tables, chairs, beds, and other random pieces of furniture since he was first able to walk. And he walked early ... like 9 months ... we've been struggling with this for like 6 months already.

We just know to keep a close eye on him. His latest thing is he climbs up on the couch, then out on to our end table and he dances there.

Flower
03-01-2008, 10:36 AM
From one parent of a 15 month old climber to another ... if you figure out how to stop him, please let me know. ;)

DS has been climbing up and down stairs, bannisters, tables, chairs, beds, and other random pieces of furniture since he was first able to walk. And he walked early ... like 9 months ... we've been struggling with this for like 6 months already.

We just know to keep a close eye on him. His latest thing is he climbs up on the couch, then out on to our end table and he dances there.

Bennie is a table dancer too!!!! And his latest thing is to take his pants off!!! :blush:

I don't actually mind him climbing the stairs when we are there to assist him, but him climbing up the side is a problem! We bought older DS a new bike last night for his upcoming b-day, the bike came in a cardboard box!!! Yeah!!!! When we assemble the bike tonight I am going to use that cardboard for the outside of the steps - it should look real pretty with my decor :rolleyes:.

Yes, Ben has been climbing on and off sofas, beds,etc thankfully he has not climbed out of his crib - YET!!!

TigChatt
03-01-2008, 09:36 PM
Wow, lots of mommies here with climbers. Jackson LOVES to climb. Yes I do a lot of omg....get down...no no NO. Not to mention I have the EARLY terrible twos. He doesnt seem to listen anymore. And he'll be 21 months on the 15 of March. I dont have any ideas. I need some myself.