PDA

View Full Version : Remembering your first time on rides

c&d
02-29-2008, 01:39 PM
I'm sitting in my office, where the outside temperature is a balmy 21 and snow is on the way, daydreaming about being at WDW in April. I got to thinking about my first time on rides and how different they are now that I know them.

I remember going on Space Mtn. with DH and him telling me that it was a roller coaster in the dark. I kept thinking this can't be good and how does it work. Now I ride with my eyes closed seeing if I can remember the turns.

I remember my 1st time on Splash Mtn. with DH and the entire ride all I could think of was the drop at the end. I couldn't tell you anything about the ride other than the drop the first time I rode it. Now I'm busy singing along and watching other first timers on the ride.

ToT when it first opened. I remember getting really nervous when they loaded us in the car and it seemed like it took forever to get to the drop part. My hands were cold and sweaty when we got clicked in right before the drop. I think if I could have figured out a way out, I would have been outta there. And at the time it was only 3 drops. I remember I couldn't look out when the doors opened I was terrified of how high we were. Now I can hardly wait to get clicked in and I just wish we the doors stayed opened longer so I could look around more.

Star Tours, I thought the first time I rode it I was going to fall out of the seat. I held on for dear life.

Just curious if anyone else thinks about how different the rides are now that you've been on them many times?

jpH/keD
02-29-2008, 03:32 PM
I almost hate to do them the 2nd time since my first memory leaves me!!!

My 1st ride on Space MTN was when I was 10. My dbro9 was in front of me. He was terrified!! He turned his entire body around and wrapped himself around me and kept his eyes closed the whole time! It wasn't so funny then but it is now! We were fairly sheltered back then!:secret: This was our FIRST BIGGIE Roller coaster. Too funny!

Walt Lucas
02-29-2008, 08:32 PM
i think you find a love for different attractions at different ages. I remember as a kid, one of my favorite rides was the jungle cruise. Now, mind you, i still enjoy it, but the ride that use to scare the heck out of me is now one of my "have to dos", Haunted Mansion.
Every ride has a place in my memory and most in my heart. although, i do boycot most of the new rides like Pooh, (I miss my Mr.Toad) :thedolls:

biodtl
02-29-2008, 09:26 PM
My first ride ever was Dumbo in the early 70s, and (I think because of that) it remains my favorite to this day.

playdead88
03-01-2008, 10:07 AM
i remember dumbo with my mom as a kid too! i remember how high i thought it was - then 27 years later i rode it with my dd and when we got off she was telling dh how high up it went

Not2Loud
03-01-2008, 10:59 AM
The most vivid "1st Memory" I have of a ride is the Astro-Orbiter. My grandfather always took me on this one. I loved making it go up and down and I remember the smiles on his face. It warms my heart to this day.

I am blessed he is still alive. I think I will call him today and tell him thanks for such great memories and times!

poohbearlover15
03-01-2008, 11:00 AM
The first time I rode Tower of terror I was sooo scared! I closed my eyes the whole time and I didnt open them once! After it was over, I loved it so much I went on it again so I could actually see it with my eyes open!:mickey:

Lacy
03-01-2008, 11:07 AM
My vivid first ride memory is also for the ToT now my favorite ride. I was so scared and nervous and it showed in the ride photo. I was pale as a ghost and my sister was looking at me to make sure I was okay. We still talk about how we should have bought that photo to this day. But I then got off and wanted to ride it again right away. And this was before fastpass so we waited in the long line to do it again and I was fine and have loved it ever since.

slegrant
03-01-2008, 11:58 AM
I remember riding astro orbitor (Star jets back then) for the 1st time by myself, my sister had to ride with my Dad and my mom did not like spinning rides. So here I was ready to go up we went up and I felt like I was going to fall out so I backed all the way to the back, held on to the sides and used my foot to go up and down. I found out then that I am not a big fan of heights. Now that I have kids I still love that ride and love sharing it with my family. There are so many other great memories :mickey3:

tink2006
03-01-2008, 06:37 PM
I would also have to say ToT. My DS had finally made the height requirement and was soo excited to do ToT. I, on the other hand, had worked myself up to a silent panic. Through the line I kept telling myself, Walt would never do anything to hurt me. As we approached the CM to load the elevator, I asked him if my DS would be OK. He looked down and saw the look of pure excitement in my son then he looked at me and saw the panic and answered: Yes, he will be fine. However, I am not sure about you :blush: We still laugh about this. We finally made it through the three drops and went to look at the pictures. You could not even tell it was me. I didn't know that you could distort your face so much out of sheer panic. We still laugh about this!

Well, we have gone on ToT many times since. I still make a strange face...Maybe on our next trip I will be able to buy the picture :mickey:

PirateLover
03-02-2008, 08:46 AM
I have to say that all of the OPs memories are almost the same as mine!
Space Mountain was an almost 2 hr wait the first time I went on it (mid August, pre-fastpass). I was anxious/curious...didn't really know what to expect. I remember when I finally stepped into the loading area, looking up into "space" for the first time...I was just like "WOW!"

I was soooo nervous for my first ride on Splash Mountain. You never know when the big drop is coming, especially being a kid whose too nervous to follow any kind of storyline. Each little drop I was freaking out because I thought it was the big one. Now it's my favorite ride :number1:

I remember being in the queue for Star Tours and was so surprised to see C-3PO and R2D2! This was another long line and so many people were talking that I got frustrated because I couldn't hear what the droids were saying!

And I was always such a huge Muppet fan, I can't even describe how elated I felt when I caught my first glimpse of the big hot air balloon with Kermit on it.

In more recent memory, there was Mission:Space. We rode it when there was only the one option. All of the warning signs made me so nervous and sick to my stomach beforehand that I ended up coming off of the ride with a migraine. :(