PDA

View Full Version : CLosing of COP??

goofiecrazy
02-29-2008, 12:14 PM
So I was lurking on another message board and saw something that was said about COP in MK.This poster said that it was closing and that something having to do with the incredibles were goin in!!IS this true or just another rumor.I would hate to see this happen i love COP.DOes anybody know whats going on?

Von-Drake
02-29-2008, 12:31 PM
As much as I would love to see an Incredible's attraction for my son, who loves them; this would just be a very sad sad thing.

Goofeygal
02-29-2008, 12:59 PM
What is COP?

DisneyWitch
02-29-2008, 01:03 PM
Carousel of Progress

Wrigley
02-29-2008, 01:03 PM
Oh dear!!!!!!! I sure hope this is only a rumor and not true! I LOVE this attraction. I really don't want to see it replaced. The song is so catchy!!!!:D

Brandi1leigh
02-29-2008, 01:04 PM
Carousel of Progress.

I will be sad to see such a large part of Disney history go away. But, it's been closed so often lately, I wondered if it might be on its way out.

SBETigg
02-29-2008, 01:14 PM
There have been rumors like this going for years. I wouldn't put too much stock in it.

Belle_0717
02-29-2008, 01:31 PM
I will make sure I see it on this trip. It has always been my dad's fave. We should have taken DNephew on it.

Maybe I can get some scoop. They had refurbed it a few years back. It could use an update again.

sheltie
02-29-2008, 01:41 PM
oh dear!! I hope not. this is a nice relaxing ride. I also enjoy the music the song is very catchy. Actually my nephew when he was about 13 years old he would rather go into this ride than watch the fireworks.

CaptSmee
02-29-2008, 01:51 PM
Carousel of Progress.

I will be sad to see such a large part of Disney history go away. But, it's been closed so often lately, I wondered if it might be on its way out.

COP has been closed lately??? Is this accurate? I thought it was back up and running on a daily basis for well over a year now. I doubt it will be replaced anytime soon.

WDWfanatic742
02-29-2008, 01:57 PM
It's been running non-stop about three years now besides the occasional refurb once in awhile.

jwallace378
02-29-2008, 02:14 PM
Say it ain't so!!

mouse-logic
02-29-2008, 06:23 PM
How on earth could current management get away with closing one of Walt's original attractions. (See 1964-65 Worlds Fair)

I think we would have to form an angry mob with pitch forks and torches and storm the corporate offices.

Actually, as many times as I have gone, I never rode COP until our most recent trip two weeks ago. How's that for crazy.

wendy*darling
02-29-2008, 07:27 PM
COP has been open and I have ridden it on all of our trips the past (at least) 3 years.

Sure, I would love to see an update. But not a replacement.
I do not think this current rumor has any basis in reality.

Marilyn Michetti
02-29-2008, 07:34 PM
NOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

That would be like tearing down Mt. Rushmore, or putting a big plug in Old Faithful.

Don't mess with history:noway:

brewcrew26
02-29-2008, 07:55 PM
I just read this the other day in The Unofficial Guide to WDW 2007, Jim Hill writes that the old Tomorrowland Skyway station and COP will be torn down to build an Incredibles-themed "robo-coaster". But he notes that they want to ship parts of COP to Epcot as a centerpiece for a restructuring of the Innoventions exhibit. (p. 494)

I know...I'm saddened by getting rid of the attraction, too. But at least it'll find a home in Epcot (if something does happen...rumors have been flying for a long time). I can't remember the last year that COP operated for an entire calendar year and not just during "peak season".

Walt Lucas
02-29-2008, 08:23 PM
How on earth could current management get away with closing one of Walt's original attractions. (See 1964-65 Worlds Fair)

I think we would have to form an angry mob with pitch forks and torches and storm the corporate offices.

Actually, as many times as I have gone, I never rode COP until our most recent trip two weeks ago. How's that for crazy.

It seems like the new mgt team is slowly getting rid of all of Walts creations

psychotekkie
02-29-2008, 08:51 PM
When we got out of COP last August, there was a CM outside with a survey, asking people's opinions of the attraction, if it was worthwhile, likelihood of us returning etc.

We thought it was a bit suspicious, and assumed they were thinking of shutting it down, because I have never been asked such questions about any other attraction.

LudwigVonDrake
02-29-2008, 10:11 PM
The Carousel of Progress is a classic! :mickey:

WDWdriver
02-29-2008, 10:35 PM
I just read this the other day in The Unofficial Guide to WDW 2007, Jim Hill writes that the old Tomorrowland Skyway station and COP will be torn down to build an Incredibles-themed "robo-coaster"....

If all of Jim Hill's accurate predictions were laid end to end they would reach all the way to.... Well, they wouldn't reach anywhere really. He is seldom right.

browneyedgirl12
02-29-2008, 11:04 PM
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!! I pray that this isn't true. I love COP and would probably cry if they tore it down.:(

JPL
02-29-2008, 11:22 PM
Can everyone take a step back and think about the source for a minute......

Ok now take a deep breath.......

And remember it's Jim Hill who will say and post anything to get attention and draw people to his site. He gets off making up outrageous rumours and making himself seem more important than he could ever be. He quotes unknown source see top secret plans and always seems to end up in a conference room that was being set up for a big top secret planning session and they always accidently let him in the room. I know some people say but he was right on this or that but remember even a broken clock is right twice a day of course for him it's more like once a century.

Main Street Jim
03-01-2008, 07:26 AM
But, it's been closed so often lately, I wondered if it might be on its way out.
Ain't goin' nowheres. CoP has been open daily from park open to close (except for events like P/P, MNSSHP, and MVMCP) for at least the last few years.

True, it *was* operating "seasonally" for a while in the late '90s-early 2000s, but it's been back up for a while now. I don't think it's going anywheres. I'll see what I can find out, since I work "right across the street" at the Tomorrowland Speedway ;)

murphy1
03-01-2008, 07:44 AM
See, nowheres! Don't worry it won't be closing. I'm still upset about Mr. Toad thought, just b/c they couldn't dump you into a gift shop and sell his merchandise. I love Pooh, but Mr. Toad was a classic, guess I'll have to get out to DL.

jefmblrd
03-01-2008, 09:03 AM
This has been a persistent rumor for years now, and it hasn't happened yet, so I wouldn't put much stock in it.

I love the COP and hope it stays right where it is for a long time to come.

RescueRanger23
03-01-2008, 10:01 PM
I'd hate to see COP go. I've been going to that my entire life and I don't know what I'd do in the rain if I couldn't go on COP 3 times :D

Mom2princesses
03-01-2008, 10:28 PM
I sure hope this is not true. I love this old classic too much! I road on it with my mom and now I have gone on it with my 2 girls.

They can't shut this down!

Main Street Jim
03-02-2008, 07:27 AM
I just read this the other day in The Unofficial Guide to WDW 2007, Jim Hill writes that the old Tomorrowland Skyway station and COP will be torn down to build an Incredibles-themed "robo-coaster". But he notes that they want to ship parts of COP to Epcot as a centerpiece for a restructuring of the Innoventions exhibit.And there's a reason it's the "Unofficial" guide...LOLOLOL

I can't remember the last year that COP operated for an entire calendar year and not just during "peak season".How 'bout at least the last three years...? ;)

scoot241
03-02-2008, 11:02 AM
And there's a reason it's the "Unofficial" guide...LOLOLOL

Really... I haven't read the WDW Unofficial guide, but the DL one is pretty bad (I bought it when I was bored in an airport). They tout their "what attractions to do in what order" guides, which are so structured you'd be walking from one attraction to the next and not spending any time taking in the atmosphere.

As for CoP, the rumors have been around for years, and a few years ago the rumors seemed more likely because the ride was on seasonal operation and shut down a lot of the time. Now that it's running every day, it seems much less likely that anything is going to happen to it. But, you never know for sure...

dumbo ears
03-02-2008, 12:48 PM
well as much as I trust jim hill I think he wrong on this one. The COP is phenomenal and a classic. I think that the incredibles would not be a good thing to put in tomorrolnd. The incedibles came out like 3 years ago and I dont think they would be that poplular. I also think that if they got rid of COP a lot of people, including my self, would be very angry.

WDWFREAK101
03-02-2008, 07:42 PM
This has been going on for years now. I don't understand why they would get rid of such a classic attraction. If John Lassiter wants to turn Tommorow Land into Pixar Land, then i am going to be mad. I LOVE COP and i can't stand the Incredibles. Is it just me or when you watch the movie, you see people die or things getting blown up every 5 minutes? That movie was WAY too violent for a Pixar film. COP is a family fun filled attraction full of song and laughter. If this Incredibles ride happens, what are we going to let our kids think? Oh, people getting blown up and dying is cool?!??!? Plus, what does the Incredibles have to do with Tomorrow Land? Future? No. Sciene Fiction? No.
I don't understand why Disney would do such a thing. I wouldn't worry about it because this has been going on for years now. I don't understand why they would replace the ride with The Incredibles. It probably won't happen.... I hope

DDuck66
03-03-2008, 10:32 AM
If all of Jim Hill's accurate predictions were laid end to end they would reach all the way to.... Well, they wouldn't reach anywhere really. He is seldom right.

If we had a dollar for every time Mr. Hill was correct then we might be able to buy a coke from Cosmic Rays!! He always make large dramatic announcements and very few of them have any truth to them or come true.

Walt Lucas
03-03-2008, 12:07 PM
Not to play Devils advocate, but how would we feel about CoP Being moved to EPCOT? Don't hate me, it's just to get opinions

scoot241
03-03-2008, 07:10 PM
Not to play Devils advocate, but how would we feel about CoP Being moved to EPCOT? Don't hate me, it's just to get opinions

Honestly, it wouldn't be a horrible idea, but I'm not sure it fits very well in Future World. The last scene is supposed to be a view of the future, so I guess if the last scene was updated for a more accurate view of the future it would work out.

Here's an idea that would have worked if Horizons was still there... move CoP to EPCOT and place it as a preshow to Horizons.

Walt Lucas
03-03-2008, 08:52 PM
That would have been a wonderful idea

Duchess99
03-03-2008, 08:57 PM
They've been saying things like this for years...I wouldn't hold much truth to it.
It would be a shame to see it go...it's one of my favs...a classic!

WDW24
03-03-2008, 10:25 PM
I hope not! I love COP, it's an awesome place to relax and enjoy the air conditioning. :mickey:

Main Street Jim
03-04-2008, 08:34 AM
I hope not! I love COP, it's an awesome place to relax and enjoy the air conditioning.How 'bout *enjoying the attraction*? I hate that people use this "excuse" to "enjoy" Hall of Presidents, CoP, Tiki, etc. That's all I got to say 'bout that....

Melanie
03-04-2008, 08:55 AM
How 'bout *enjoying the attraction*? I hate that people use this "excuse" to "enjoy" Hall of Presidents, CoP, Tiki, etc.

Sorry if it "bothers" you Jim, but if air conditioning enhances an attraction for some, there's absolutely nothing wrong with that!

Von-Drake
03-04-2008, 08:56 AM
How 'bout *enjoying the attraction*? I hate that people use this "excuse" to "enjoy" Hall of Presidents, CoP, Tiki, etc. That's all I got to say 'bout that....

I dunno, I think relaxing and enjoying the air conditioning is part of enjoying the ride. My entire family likes COP a lot. My son enjoys watching the dog in each scene, and when we leave the attraction we always talk about how different things are now than some of the scenes in the attraction.