PDA

View Full Version : Inlaws

Dizneyfan
02-29-2008, 11:27 AM
My inlaws are wanting our whole family to take a Disney trip this Nov. But they just want get it in there head on how large Disney World really is. My sister-in-law said she is only gonna by a 3 to 4 day ticket b/c she doesn't see the point in seeing anything twice. HELP!! We have small children (5) and the oldest is four, how do I make them see that a week isn't enough let alone 3 to 4 days?????:mad:

Stan
02-29-2008, 11:41 AM
It's very likely that once they're at WDW and experience the magic first hand, :mickey: they'll totally agree with you and be disappointed if you're only staying a few days. If that happened, maybe you could extend your stay, maybe not. :( You can always come back- I bet it'll still be here. ;)

On the other hand, there are people for whom a few days is "enough Disney", perhaps even too much. :jaw: Maybe Tink's magic doesn't work on them? :shrug: I'd tread lightly with inlaws- I wouldn't want to hear for the next 40 years that I made them waste $ on an overly long Disney visit. :D

mrsgaribaldi
02-29-2008, 11:51 AM
Maybe you could get them a guidebook or show them the links to the parks here at Intercot.

Strmchsr
02-29-2008, 11:54 AM
Well, it depends on who's paying. If your inlaws are paying for the trip, I would say do whatever they want. However, letting them get on Intercot or buy one of the park guide books, and showing them everything there is to do might convince them of the need for a longer stay. Especially with the increased crowds Oct-Dec. However, if you're paying for your own trip, then book your trip separately. You stay as long as your family wants and let them stay as long as they want. If they miss out, that's on them, not you and you can give your family the vacation you want.

murphy1
02-29-2008, 12:03 PM
I am good doing three/four day trips, I can't do weeklong BUT I grew up there and it's ingrained in me to go for the day. That said, I agree with Chris. Plus I would do split ups where you all are on your own time. Also, see what are the must sees for everybody, definitely do those and then try to plan as best you can. Of course, Chris has a great point about who is paying. Above all, don't get stressed.

MsMin
02-29-2008, 12:08 PM
I usually start by telling people that Disney's property is about the size of San Fransisco. I do agree w/ Chris that it depends on who is paying. Sometimes people don't want to come right out and say hey this is all I want to spend.
Personally I would love to spend 4 days there (3 is too few even for me) but I don't have small children and go often enough (for me). I'm tired after a week.
Try to map out the time for them and use estimates from your past trips.
What about time in Nov? Are they planning Thanksgiving week? when it's crowded?
I just noticed you live about 20 or 30 miles from me.

tinklover
02-29-2008, 12:11 PM
we are going with my inlaws in June. it the first time for everyone on that side of the family. we are getting 4 day park passes. I am not pushing more on them because of the money issue and the fact that they can not get more then a week off. I know that once they see WDW and experience it's magic they will be booking many more trips in the future. I am so excited to see it thru their eyes. Just don't stress yourself over the length of the stay just be happy you are at the World and do what you can in those 3-4 days you are there. Enjoy your trip.

Flower
02-29-2008, 12:16 PM
What if you were to extend your stay beyond your families? Let them have their 4 day vacation and you and your immediate family stay longer?

caryrae
02-29-2008, 12:43 PM
Some people just need to see it to belive it. You may just have to let them get this "taste of Disney" you never know 3-4 days may be all they will care to do or maybe they will love it like you do and they will want to do it again for longer at a different time. You would hate it if they don't like Disney as much as we do and now they are stuck longer then they would like. Nothing like crabby people on a Disney vacation.

thrillme
02-29-2008, 01:33 PM
Heavens...this is awesome for you. Just extend your vacation with your immediate family. If they're paying the double dog awesome. All you'd have to pay for is the extension.

Them ONLY wanting to do 4 days is great for you because then you can take on an extra 4 days and do what you and your immediates what to do without the rest of the crew.

Me...I'd be doing the "happy" dance.

BelleLovesTheBeast
02-29-2008, 01:34 PM
What I would do was show them a park map. Let them know the approximate wait times for rides and the character greets you'd like to do. Figure in 40 min to an hour for each meal. Then show them how that's not enough time to cover everything your going to want to see. Also remind them with 3 kids that it's going to take a little longer too.

Good luck!

ibelieveindisneymagic
02-29-2008, 02:32 PM
This can be hard.

For our first trip to Disney, with the (now) in-laws and family, we were in Florida for a week, but only did 2 days! at Disney!

It wasn't nearly enough time, but we loved every minute we had, and we have been back as a smaller family a couple of times.

So, if they are paying for it/organizing it, go with the flow of family and enjoy the time together, and remember...you can always go back on your own!

kakn7294
02-29-2008, 03:41 PM
If you can't convince them otherwise and they are paying, go and enjoy whatever time you have, knowing that you can always go back later. As a second option, you can add extra days to your trip at your own expense, telling them that you'd love to spend the time you have arranged with them but you also wanted some extra time at your favorite place in the world.

Dsnygirl
02-29-2008, 04:23 PM
What if you were to extend your stay beyond your families? Let them have their 4 day vacation and you and your immediate family stay longer?

That's what I was going to suggest... even if they are paying for the trip, you just pay for whatever extra time you and your family would like. There's no sense paying all that airfare for a trip that just isn't long enough for you - I would definitely let them do their thing, and you add on what you need. They'll probably end up wishing they were staying longer, too, though... ;)

PAYROLL PRINCESS
03-01-2008, 09:42 PM
I'd be thrilled if someone else was paying for my trip. However, if you can extend your own time their without offending your in-laws, I'd do that. Enjoy the time you have, no matter how little or how long.

mousetrapper
03-03-2008, 01:13 PM
My MIL was not thrilled on our week-long trip to WDW, even though she loves Disney and always commented how they do everything "top notch." She just didn't get into all the walking around, didn't ride any of the rides and would have been perfectly content with a 3-day visit.

I thought she'd enjoy seeing her granddaughters so happy at Disney and sharing the experience with them, but it just didn't work out that way. She couldn't get beyond the crowds (even though we went at a very uncrowded time). It surprised me because she had always been very active, full of fun and energy. Sadly, I guess that time had just passed for her.

She was also shocked by the cost for our trip, even though we only asked her to pitch in $1,000 for the weeklong trip (we stayed at the Poly).

Disney Doll
03-03-2008, 01:27 PM
Heavens...this is awesome for you. Just extend your vacation with your immediate family. If they're paying the double dog awesome. All you'd have to pay for is the extension.

Them ONLY wanting to do 4 days is great for you because then you can take on an extra 4 days and do what you and your immediates what to do without the rest of the crew.

Me...I'd be doing the "happy" dance.

This is exactly what I was thinking. Just extend your trip and look at it as a blessing. I love my extended family, but there's enough togetherness in a 3 day trip for me.

brownie
03-03-2008, 05:07 PM
Nothings says you can't get there before they do and/or leave after they do. Make your trip longer, so you can enjoy Walt Disney World the way you want to.