PDA

View Full Version : What is "IT" that makes you love WDW?

caryrae
02-29-2008, 10:25 AM
What do you think "it" is that makes us feel so strongly about WDW? Is it because it's a great place families can spend time together and make memories for a lifetime. Is it because it's a place that has so much to do to keep you busy for days and even weeks all in one area? Is it the rides and shows and knowing alot of it can be done with your kids (not like other places with a lot of thrill rides kids can't go on) and yet still fun enough if you don't have kids? Or is it bunch of reasons.

What is your "IT" factor/s that make you love going year after year.

Tinksalot
02-29-2008, 10:30 AM
It makes you feel like a kid again! Its also sharing the experience with your children and grandchildren, the delight on their faces when they arrive at Disney. Its Magical! :mickey:

WriteDisney
02-29-2008, 10:37 AM
Lots of vacation resorts boast that you can "get away" with their resorts and activities, but in all the places I've been I've never really feel like I've "escaped" from the real world. It's always there. With WDW I really feel like I am "away from it all." What I've put in quotations are very much cliches but when you've been there and stayed on site and used tranportation, you know what I mean. The cliches are very much true.

DisneyDudet
02-29-2008, 10:39 AM
I think that its the feeling of happiness. I mean, everything there is intended to make you happy, and for you to have fun. Its a place that has been so intricately designed to make it fun and memorable for every age.

But come to think of it, I don't know what draws me to Disney World so much. Its the rides, the ambiance, the... everything?

I'm not really sure why I go back to much, except that I love it and it always makes me happy.

garymacd
02-29-2008, 10:40 AM
I love all the rides and all the attractions, but that isn't what keeps me coming back.

I just love being there with my girls and my beloved wife. Just seeing the smiles on their faces and hearing my daughters laugh. Just seeing their eyes light up and a quick, "Thank you, daddy," a hug and a peck on the cheek makes the expense of the trip worthwhile.

The other thing that keeps me coming back is that, for a brief period of time, I can shut off the outside world. I don't read the paper, watch the news or care about the outside world.

Next year will be a special year for going down: my youngest daughter will graduate from college and my oldest has said that she would like to introduce her boyfriend to the wonders of WDW. I can't wait to see his face light up!

caryrae
02-29-2008, 10:42 AM
Lots of vacation resorts boast that you can "get away" with their resorts and activities, but in all the places I've been I've never really feel like I've "escaped" from the real world. It's always there. With WDW I really feel like I am "away from it all."

That's why I love the quote from Walt I had found and put in my signature. He was talking about DL then but I am sure he would use for WDW too.

"I don't want the public to see the world they live in while they're in the Park (Disneyland). I want to feel they're in another world."

Walt Disney

caryrae
02-29-2008, 10:47 AM
Next year will be a special year for going down: my youngest daughter will graduate from college and my oldest has said that she would like to introduce her boyfriend to the wonders of WDW. I can't wait to see his face light up!

There is nothing like being there for your first visit and also going with someone for there first visit especially seeing kids faces light up when they finally see the Princesses they have been watching on TV, dressing like everyday, dolls they carry around all the time and finally seeing them in real life.

Von-Drake
02-29-2008, 11:02 AM
I think Walt achieved his vision: "We believed in our idea - a family park where parents and children could have fun - together."
From when my parents started taking me when I was a child till now when I take my child. Watching the smiles on my son's face as he experiences what he watches in the Disney movies and and then my wife's face smiling at him. It just does not get any better than that.:mickey:

Gooftroop5
02-29-2008, 11:06 AM
I think its for me cause they try to make everything so magical no matter what age you are there is something special for you. I've never had a bad time when I was there. May of had a few rough spots but nothing that ruined my whole trip. Can't say that about other places we've been.

chefmickey3
02-29-2008, 11:08 AM
I agree with the pp. But as someone who first went as an adult, IT for me is the details. Disney smells different than other places, the music is piped throughout and is appropriate for the theming. Even the queues are fun to explore and wait in. Disney does details better than anyone.

TinaT
02-29-2008, 11:14 AM
I don't like most amusement parks. They are filled with thrill rides and kiddie rides, not much inbetween. Disney World has it all. Lots to do for everyone. It also takes me out of the reality of everyday life. :cloud9:

caryrae
02-29-2008, 11:15 AM
I agree with the pp. But as someone who first went as an adult, IT for me is the details. Disney smells different than other places, the music is piped throughout and is appropriate for the theming. Even the queues are fun to explore and wait in. Disney does details better than anyone.

Speaking of queues, for some reason I love the queue for Space Mountain.

Also It's nice the way they keep the Parks clean and nothing looks rundown (unless it's on purpose of course).

elmjimmlm
02-29-2008, 11:19 AM
"IT" is a world all its own...It is leaving my life at home with all the worries, deadlines and stress and entering into a world that is just magic...
"IT" is also a dream of when you are not there, that is where you want to be...The anticipation of the day when you can once again feel the magic when you see WDW...That is what "IT" is to me...:mickey:

TKDONALD
02-29-2008, 11:24 AM
I Know When I Go I Feel Like A Child Again. Its The Only Place That I Know Of That Makes Me Forget About Whats Going On Outside In The Real World. I Will Keep On Going There For Vacation And In The Future When I Have Kids Of My Own.

Disneyatic
02-29-2008, 11:35 AM
I think for me and my family, it is that all encompassing feeling that we get from our Disney vacations. It touches every part of our heart, soul and imagination with the fun and magic while we are there. My husband and I can be kids again and my daughter can be a kid with us (even though we sometimes embarass her!).
Have you seen that Orlando commercial where the parents go on the water slide with their child and then at the bottom they are a kid again? With the song "We are young, we are free" that is the best commercial and it really is a great description of what Disney does for us.

DNS
02-29-2008, 11:35 AM
For me IT is partly that there is so much to do all within one very large resort. Check in and forget it all until you check out again. Also that regardless of how many in my extended family goes, and what ages, we all have the time or our lives. Those two things are "IT" for me.
1) A separate world
2) Perfect for any age

caryrae
02-29-2008, 11:40 AM
Have you seen that Orlando commercial where the parents go on the water slide with their child and then at the bottom they are a kid again? With the song "We are young, we are free" that is the best commercial and it really is a great description of what Disney does for us.

I love those too, there are 2 one with a father and son on the water slide and one with a mother and daughter on BTMR when the mom turns to a kid. The song is called Time Machine by The Click Five, not sure if it's same song for both.

These are a couple of my favorite Disney commercials,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JlSP3XRhAHQ&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b95oyhSd5ls&feature=related
http://youtube.com/watch?v=S1eTGaZZUhA

BMan62
02-29-2008, 12:01 PM
I figure this is a good thread to use my 500th post on…

“What is ‘IT’ that makes you love WDW?”

There is really not one ‘IT,’ but rather a combination of things that make our trips to WDW so enjoyable and make us want to return time and time again.

First, let me explain that, until five years ago, I had no interest in ever going to WDW. I had passed through central Florida numerous times visiting a college friend who moved down there in the mid-80’s. My only thoughts while driving through on I-4 were on how quickly I could get through the congestion around Orlando and then the WDW resort areas.

When I got married in ’98, DW would often bring up how she enjoyed herself at WDW when she was 18 and how she would someday like to go back and visit again. After making trips to Niagara Falls, Las Vegas, Williamsburg, Emerald Isle, I decided to surprise her and, for our 5th anniversary, booked an 8 day trip with accommodations at Caribbean Beach. This was September 2003.

I’ve recounted this trip a few times on InterCOT, so suffice it to say I had an eye opening experience. Before we left WDW that week, we decided to make this trip every other year, giving Disney plenty of time for upgrades and new shows/rides/etc.

Well, you all know the saying about ‘best laid plans…’ This holds true with us. We made it through the first 2 years and actually talked her sister and BIL to come with us in September 2005. It was special, again, for us, but even better sharing with another couple. We even made plans for September 2007 when we got home. When September of 2006 rolled around DW started hinting that we needed to make a quick trip sometime soon. I reminded her that we were already planning our next trip. Before long, I gave in and we booked a 4 night trip for Valentine’s week 2007. OK, that means our next trip would be sometime in 2009, right? WRONG!!!! Not long after our original planned September dates, DW IM’s me at work to ask if there was anyway possible to get another trip in before the end of the year. I had plenty of vacation time saved up, so that wasn’t a problem, but I was concerned about availability. Contacted Magical Journeys and booked our 4th trip in as many years for November 2007. Now, we are in the planning stages for our September 2008 trip. We need to book ADR’s in less than 3 weeks!!

In all these trips, I expected WDW to lose some of its allure, to start getting ‘old,’ but it seems that every time we step on property, it feels like the first time all over again.

THAT is the ‘IT’ for us. No matter what changes, or what stays the same, it always stays fresh and new in our hearts.

playdead88
02-29-2008, 12:53 PM
the magic! walking down main street first thing in the a.m - watching my dd7 believe in princess fairy tales - watching my ds14 act goofy and not care who is watching - everything about being there is the thing :mickey:

BelleLovesTheBeast
02-29-2008, 01:08 PM
I love the care-free feeling of Disney. Once I get to the airport I don't have to worry about anything. I know exactly what I'll be spending. There is no hidden or unexpected cost.

I love the look and smell of Disney. The rides have a unique smell that you only find at Disney.

The rides themselves are different. What other amusement park can you go to that has the animatronics and elaborate details that Disney does?

I love how everywhere you go there is Disney music.

I love the food....whether it's at the parks or the resorts from counter service to table service.

I love the shopping. You can get all kinds of souvenirs. From something small to something huge.

The characters. I love meeting and greeting the characters throughout the park.

#1donaldfan
02-29-2008, 01:13 PM
For us I think "IT" is the feeling of being free !! Free from work, school, and the every day grind and stress. Disney makes you feel like a "kid" again, able to do anything. I like knowing the next day there will be nothing but playing and having fun. It's kinda like those feelings years and years ago just before being let go from school for summer vacation......:cool:

Belle619
02-29-2008, 01:23 PM
For me, it seems to be a combination of what other posts have said. Disney makes you feel like a child again and takes you away from your everyday life.

When I'm at Disney, I'm like a carefree child whose only care in the world is what ride to go on next. As soon as I walk through the gates, I seem to forget about work, bills and illness.

Disney allows you to be transported into a fantasy place where you are free to dream of the possibilities of tomorrow, adventure and the wild frontier. :mickey:

Taja
02-29-2008, 01:24 PM
I thoroughly enjoy the suspension of reality and the self-contained world of WDW. Okay, sometimes not the prices of sundries, but most other things!

I can stay 10 or 11 nights and have plenty to do without leaving WDW. Or I can plan some excursions off site.

Beginning in elementary school, I've traveled a great deal over the years. What draws me to WDW is that there are things to do--or not--as I choose. Many destinations revolve around outdoor activities, which isn't for me. I burn to a crisp in about 10 minutes! At WDW, I'm in and out of buildings, so I'm reasonably confident that my sunscreen is working with regular applications. *LOL*

While I still enjoy visiting other places, WDW is a lovely option!

jwallace378
02-29-2008, 02:23 PM
I don't exactly know what it is, but WDW makes me forget about everything for a week and lets me be a kid again. Whe I'm there, I forget that I have a job, a mortgage to pay, bills to pay, etc...I'm convinced that Disney puts something in their food, water, or the air!!!;)

Walt Lucas
02-29-2008, 08:41 PM
The "IT" for me is like going home. It's a place where everything is happy. It is also like a reunion of people you know. I've been going to WDW since i was 3 (i'm now in my 30s) it's just a place that can make a bad day great :mickey:

#1disneyfan
02-29-2008, 08:53 PM
For me its a couple of reasons. The first is the memories made with my grandfather when I was just five and went to WDW for the very first time. We had the best time, me, DGF and DGM. My DGF passed away 4 years later and that was always a special place for the 3 of us. Secondly, was sharing the magic with my DD. Seeing the "world" through her eyes, as my DGF had seen through mine, brought tears to my eyes. Still does in fact! My family loves spending time together, vacationing, and what a better place. It just has that "feel-good" feeling about it.

WDWRox
03-01-2008, 07:51 AM
It's a combination of things, including (1) once you enter the 'World', you're immersed by it and it really lets you leave the problems of daily life out of your mind for a week or so, (2) each vacation there is like a vacation from adulthood, so to speak, and you can be as excited and happy as a kid again, and (3) nostalgia from trips there you've made before.

laward32
03-01-2008, 10:32 AM
For me IT is once I step on resort property I feel like I have just stepped out of reality and I am in my own little "World" and I don't have to think about the "real world" for the whole trip. It's just a magical feeling. Plus my girls just love it and to see how happy it makes them makes me want to keep going back until they have had enough. I don't see that happening though. They are constantly asking when we are going again.
I do love the rides, the smells, the atmosphere. And all the magic that the CM's try to make happen.:mickey:

thejens
03-01-2008, 11:43 PM
I think of the moment:tink: when you first enter a park, any Disney park, and you hear the themed music and everything feels perfectly themed whether it is the happy nostalgia of Main Street, the wild wonder of Animal Kingdom, or the modern marvels of Epcot...as everyone has said, it is the one place you can feel that you have truly escaped into a magical land. It is like a child's daydream come true. And the fact that it can be felt by every generation together, magical.:tink:

AHOTE
03-02-2008, 01:19 AM
I don't know what "IT" is but I do know when "IT" happened. "IT" happened the very first time I set foot in WDW and "IT" has been happening every years since 1971 and I'm sure "IT" will happen for me every year in the future as long as I'm able to be a part of "IT". The MAGIC never stops. :magic: "IT's" always there.:tink:
"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." (unk)

AdventurerKim
03-02-2008, 08:26 AM
The "IT" for me is the escape to another world, and WDW holds a lifetime of family vacation memories. Time in WDW makes me forget "real life" and enjoy fantasy and imagination. It's like a second home. :mickey:

DisneyDude1977
03-02-2008, 08:54 AM
I can echo the sentiments of an above poster who stated that while you are at WDW, you are immersed in a land of fun and good times, with no worries. It just feels good to be there!

WDW24
03-02-2008, 09:48 AM
So many to count!

Well, first I guess it would be the characters. Second, the rides. Last, being "home". :mickey: :D

Dakota Rose
03-02-2008, 10:20 AM
For me, the "it" that makes me love all things Disney, not just WDW is the fulfillment of one man's dream. The fact that Walt had a vision that is now a reality, even after his death, is enough to make me cry. I watched a thing on WDW on Travel Channel the other day and started crying because WDW is such an awesome accomplishment and he never got to see it.

caryrae
03-02-2008, 10:25 AM
For me, the "it" that makes me love all things Disney, not just WDW is the fulfillment of one man's dream. The fact that Walt had a vision that is now a reality, even after his death, is enough to make me cry. I watched a thing on WDW on Travel Channel the other day and started crying because WDW is such an awesome accomplishment and he never got to see it.

I don't know if you heard of it or seen it but you would love the dvd "Walt- The Man Behind The Myth" it is awesome all Disney Fans should have it.

dumbo ears
03-02-2008, 01:02 PM
wow what a great question:thumbsup:. I think one of the things that makes me love wdw is that when you are there all your worries and other problems go away. You really are in another world when you are there.:cloud9:

snerd475
03-02-2008, 03:55 PM
It is an escape.

When you drive, fly, walk, into that world, the rest of the world does not exist. It is like going into another dimension.
Everything is clean, everyone who greets you is nice and smiling, you have is no vision of the real world: no highways, no traffic, no skyscrapers, no fastfood joints, no grit and grime, no strip malls, no attitude.

It is a world which envelopes you, and you go willingly into that dimension.

And hate it when you leave.

LoriMistress
03-02-2008, 07:57 PM
Wonderful customer service, the environment, the rides/attractions, the characters, the food, the escape from reality, etc. is what does it for me.

Tinkitude
03-03-2008, 09:14 AM
There are so many wonderful things about Disney. I was in my early 30s the first time we went and took our boys. It was so wonderful. We have been a total of three times now, and I must say we are always talking about the great times we have had, and looking forward to when we can go again. It seems there is always something new to look forward to, and old favorites to visit again and again. It is just perfect. We lead very busy lives here with work and all the boys activities. When we are in Disney, we can spend 24-7 together for the duration of our stay, and we absolutely love it. My boys are 11 and 13, and they still love the time spent with Mom and Dad on vacation which is wonderful.:cloud9:

DizNee143
03-03-2008, 11:30 AM
this is a very tough question for me and i cant really give a clear answer..all i know is i absolutely love this place..and try to go there as often as possible..its just great place..and gives me a great feeling when i get there..its just a wonderful place that i love dearly...:mickey:

caryrae
03-03-2008, 11:36 AM
I love all the post so far:geek:, thanks for all the responses. This is why I love it here, so many people who feel like I do about Disney.:mickey:

Disney Doll
03-03-2008, 11:42 AM
I guess I have 3 reasons.
I always assumed it was more of a nostalgia thing for me. I have been numerous times as a kid and have wonderful memories of each visit. However, DH who was 27 on his first trip is hooked as much as I am. For him, going as an adult, he really honed in on the details. Nothing at Disney is done halfway. I think the details are part of what makes it such an immersive experience. You really do feel like you have gotten away from it all. Now for a more sappy take on why we love Disney. I frequently find myself a little teary when I am watching Wishes or Illuminations and I know I'm not alone. I think it's partly because we all love being reminded of the good in the world and the hope for the future. Disney is the perfect place for both.

CU Tiger
03-03-2008, 12:46 PM
As most posts show, “it” is not one thing but a combination of things. DW supplies a package that no other park can. The “it” includes the atmosphere in the parks and resorts, the way the CMs treat you, the cleanliness, the details in their themes, the variety of entertainment options, how well it is family friendly, etc.. I could go on and on. I hate that it is an expensive place to visit, but you do get what you pay for and I have felt it has been money well spent.:mickey:

grumpyguy
03-03-2008, 01:03 PM
there is a great word we often use here on intercot.i think it answers this question for me here as well.for me "it" is the immersion you experience while at wdw.
so many other things as well...
feeling like a kid again and remembering all the tales from long ago and then reliving them.
the mild to wild things to do.never a dull moment,even for someone grumpy like me:thumbsup:

WinnipegDisneyFanatic
03-03-2008, 01:46 PM
I think the "IT" for me would be a few things combined:

ITs the sense of security when on property

ITs the sense of not having to worry about anything in reality

ITs the feeling of becoming younger again, and enjoying character interactions

ITs the amazing work the CMs and Imagineers do to keep thousands and thousands of guests happy each and every day of the year.

That sums it up for me :mickey:

Chris :hatter:

mook3y
03-03-2008, 05:00 PM
I think what really gets me is the attention to all the details. Their queues hands down are the best in the industry.

Plus everywhere you go, there is something that has special meaning, or hidden mickeys, talking trash cans, just those magical extra touches.

And... it is so clean.

Birnbaum has notin on me
03-03-2008, 06:10 PM
i could sit on a park bench all day in the MK and be happy:mickey::number1::D:):secret::thumbsup:

caryrae
03-03-2008, 06:12 PM
i could sit on a park bench all day in the MK and be happy:mickey::number1::D:):secret::thumbsup:

So true.

WDWFREAK101
03-03-2008, 09:49 PM
I really don't know how to answer. Disney has "It" (Whatever we call "it") that keeps us coming back. I like the attractions, i like the CM's, i don't know what it is. I think it is the fact that you can be a kid again. You escape from the real world and have fun! I think i like the escapism. Disney knows how to treat guests. Disney knows how to make guests happier. Disney knows what attractions to bring in. Disney knows it all. I am just happy that such a place exists!

bringbackhorizons
03-05-2008, 10:59 AM
I honestly don't know what "it" is. I've been visiting since I was 12, I introduced WDW to my DH, who now loves it as much as me :thumbsup:, and I can't wait to take my DD there next Feb (hopefully). Everyone thinks I'm nuts, but for me its definitely worth the nine hour flight.

princessariel
03-05-2008, 12:09 PM
For me, "IT" would be the feeling of being HOME when I drive through the front gates. Remembering all the awesome memories I have with my family from the previous visits. The way your heart just swells and it takes everything to hold back the tears when you take the first step into a park, not just the first time, but EVERY DAY OF YOUR VISIT. The way the little things like commercials or the fireworks can bring you to tears. The feeling that I want to WORK here and to help bring this magic and happiness to EVERYONE who walks through the turnstyles.:mickey:

"IT" is the magic that Walt envisioned.

cal5755
03-05-2008, 12:40 PM
One word describes the "it" factor for us.

MAGICAL -

From the moment you step off the plane and head to Magical Express some kind of magic takes hold. Smiles are on all faces, the old feel young and the young are just in awe. From the movie on the bus, to the lobby full of all things disney. Checking into rooms with disney charm and towel animals then entering a park with your key to the world. The sparkle in the eye of every child as they meet their favorite character, take a picture and get an autograph. The first glimpse of Cinderella's castle. Dinner at your favorite restaurant, sitting down to see your favorite show. Fastpasses to the best rides and dolewhips all around. Shopping on main street and fireworks everynight. Holding hands with your loved one as you take in the happiness of everyone around you, especially your own children who jump up and down with the excitement of what to do next. Ah yes... MAGICAL.... a haven for pure joy.... MAGICAL... no worries about the rest of the world, work or bills just pure family time fun.

:mickey::mickey::mickey::mickey::

I have been a few times as a teen... begged my husband for our first trip as a family in 2003 and HE fell in love with the magic too. We decided to make it an every other year trip. YEAH RIGHT.... the magic is too much to stay away from and now it is every year and then some!! :mickey::mickey::mickey:

kbean
03-07-2008, 07:59 AM
For me its the re-creation of the old days and the history and sense you can pick up. For example Main Street and its atmosphere. Or Wheels of Motion(R.I.P.) where you see how the first wheel and cars came about. Ya Dig?