PDA

View Full Version : At the parks during severe weather

MicMouse
02-28-2008, 05:53 PM
Strange question: What happens when you are in one of the parks during severe weather - like a tornado? Do the CMs make everyone go inside?

I am deathly afraid of tornadoes and am one of those people glued to the weather channel during any kind of thunderstorm.

I live in IL and we get lots of really scary storms with tornado warnings. I tend to freak out a bit when the sirens go off :scared:

Just trying to prepare myself folks.

Thanks!

azdisneymom
02-28-2008, 07:59 PM
I have never been at WDW during severe weather but everything, and I do mean everything I have ever read says Disney does a great job keeping their guests safe. They have a big responsibility. They do have teams of people who keep a watch on weather, too. Have you ever been at one of the water parks in the summer and seen a helicopter? They are only a small part of those who keep an eye out for lightening. During hurricanes I think Disney does close the parks early and ask that their guests return to their rooms by a certain time. They really do have it down to a science.

Did you know there are Floridians who stay at WDW during hurricanes? They know severe weather and they know they will be safe at Disney. You and your family can go and enjoy everything.

ElenitaB
02-28-2008, 08:08 PM
I've been at WDW for both a hurricane and a toredo warning. During hurricanes the parks are closed (yes, certain parks did close early one day; when the finally reopened a few days later, it was in a staggered fashion) and resort guests receive instructions about what to do under their door each day. For example, we were asked to bring in the plastic furniture from our balcony, keep away from the windows/glass door to the balcony and keep the curtains closed, and in the event of a tornado warning to go to the inside hall or to an inside room.

We were staying at WL in 2002 when the tornado warning was received. I chose to stay in our room until the warning was lifted (that tornado did touch down in nearby Indian River).

CaptainJessicaSparrow
02-29-2008, 12:08 AM
Indian River is further from WDW than you think. As for the Floridians, we got to WDW because it's inland (meaning, not by the ocean), not because it's supposedly safe. If fact, I think it would be less safe because (and I apologize in advance) stupid tourists want to go driving in what they think of as the passing storm (which we Floridians call the eye of the storm) and take photos of all the damage. I lived in Boca Raton and this was a problem. I bet Orlando has it worse.

Also, some people don't realize this, but WDW is actually in Florida so Floridians don't really go anywhere for hurricanes since we don't even leave the state.

The nice thing about MK....the Tunnels can be the safest place you can get for both hurricane and tornados. But they do close the parks.

crazeedizneefinatic
02-29-2008, 12:15 AM
One year we went in May. We were in Epcot when the skies just turned black, I mean pitch black. We started on our way back to MK and were on the Monorail when the monorail just stopped, lights, music, air. The wind was just amazing the doors where literally bowing in and out. I was petrified and so were the other people in our car. No one came over the loud speaker to tell us what was going on but we just guessed. After what seemed an eternity we slowly started to move again. We entered the station and the CM were yelling over the noise of the hail and wind. They were screaming for all the guests to get out f from underneath the shelter, it was bowing also. We had litereally no where to go. We stood outside and was pelted with hail and rain and wind, it was the most frightening thing ever. We had hail up to our ankles as well as water. There where tons of guests just standing in the weather no CMs in sight. It finally passed and needless to say we had to go back to the hotel we were drentched. I have decided never to go back in May. Now we have also been there in a hurricane and Disney shut down the park for a half day, no biggie. But the tornado will always stick in my mind. We never saw it but it hit very close.

Taja
02-29-2008, 01:32 PM
I've been at WDW when it caught the edge of a hurricane. Resort pool (Storm Along Bay) was closed, but no other restrictions that were announced to the guests. However, it poured and was very windy all day, so we decided to stay at our resort and relax. We were going to do it the following day, so we just switched gears and zagged instead of zigging! :)

I also was there during a tornado watch in March, 2007. Again, no real information provided to guests, but it was extremely windy. I had just arrived and after only 45 minutes sleep in two days, decided it was an excellent time to go to bed early (about 9 p.m. WDW time)!

caryrae
02-29-2008, 02:26 PM
What happens if it storms bad or there are heavy winds with the openings for the monorail on the Contemporary Resort? Does the rain and wind not really make it through the openings to bad or do they cover the openings somehow?

MNNHFLTX
02-29-2008, 05:48 PM
Lightning is a lot bigger threat at Disney World than a potential tornado or hurricane. Not that Florida doesn't get tornadoes, but they tend to be a lot smaller and less powerful than the ones that you all get up in the midwest. And Disney World is far enough inland that it would take a strong and fast-moving hurricane (like Charley was) to do some damage.

That said, if there were a big storm passing through the area, I'm sure cast members have a procedure in place to get people under cover.

Not sure what they do (if anything) with the monorail entrance openings at the Contemporary though. That's an interesting question.

#1donaldfan
02-29-2008, 08:23 PM
Not good....we've not been there during a major storm event ...... but we did drive down two years ago in a hurricane .... (Dennis I think)..... that was a crazy drive.....big wind, big rain, and a little fear :(

#1disneyfan
02-29-2008, 09:11 PM
I was in WDW when I was younger during a hurricane. As posted above, we too were given instructions as to what to do and the activities that were available to do in the hotel. The parks were closed for (i think) 2 1/2 days. It was very disappointing, but mother nature happens. I never felt unsafe in anyway.