PDA

View Full Version : AKL vs WL DVC questions

McGoofy
02-28-2008, 10:17 AM
This is all new to me. I do not own DVC, but I am buying points from a friend that does. She booked my nights at AKL (that is her home resort) since the time frame is more than 7 months out. When the time comes, we are going to try to switch it to the WL. My question is this: Is there any difference between the 2 rooms? My friend showed me pictures of AKL and it appeared that the pull out couch was right beside the bed. I could be wrong, but I thought that pictures I had seen of the WL had the bed in a separate area from the pull out couch. We are booked for the room that sleeps 4, so that is a bed and a pull out couch. The reason I am asking is because it is our family of 3 and my mother that will be going on this trip. I was hoping that my mom would be able to get a little privacy.

Also, are DVC rooms on conceirge level?

I'm a Disney veteran and have been lots of times and stayed on property lots of times, but I have never ventured into the DVC world, so I'm just curious to find out about what I am getting into!:mickey:

Thanks for any help!!

tinkerbell04
02-28-2008, 10:27 AM
Ok, I will try to help you the best I can. First of all, are you booked in a studio or a one bedroom? Both of these accomodations sleep 4 people. The studio will be one basic room with the pull out next to the bed and a small kitchenette. The one bedroom will have a separate bedroom and living room area and a full kitchen and a washer and a dryer. The chance of you switching to WL during Christmas time are very slim. It is a very popular time for DVC members to visit and WL is a very small resort and it is VERY popular during the holiday season.

Next, the AKL is the first DVC property to offer rooms on the conceriege level, but from what I understand, there are just a few of them and they are hard to get as well, since there is just a handful.

You want to check with your friend as to what type of room she reserved for you. I stayed at the AKL villas in December and they were beautiful and we really enjoyed the resort.

I hope this helps:mickey:

Maleficent's Dad
02-28-2008, 10:28 AM
Tara,

What size room did your friend book? A 1BR has a separate area - living room and kitchen attached to a separate bedroom.

All studios are set up (basically) like a standard hotel room where the pullout is directly next to the bed. So if you booked a studio, both the AKLV and VWL will have essentially the same layout. If you want a second room (removed from the first) you need to book at 1BR or larger.

The only DVC resort that has rooms on the concierge level is the AKLV - and that is a specific category requiring more points.

I was confused reading your question - basically because it doesn't state the size room you booked. It sounds as if you've booked a studio; and if you want concierge at the AKLV, it has to be booked that way!

I hope this helps! :mickey:

McGoofy
02-28-2008, 11:22 AM
Sorry to confuse everybody. I'm confused myself. :confused: I guess that's why I posted in the first place.:blush:

Anyhow, I'm planning to get in touch with my friend and ask more specific questions. When we talked, I just told her that I needed to sleep 4 people. I guess I didn't realize that there were 2 different types that could sleep 4. Most likely since she sent me the pictures from their stay at AKL that had the couch right beside the bed, we are probably only booked for the studio. She told me that it had a small kitchen, fridge, and microwave as well. It's using 72 points during our time frame if that helps anybody help me figure this out.

We are not going at Christmas, so that is not when we are trying to get in at WL. We are going Nov. 21-25. This is right before Thanksgiving, so does that give us a better chance of moving to WL--or do you guys think that AKL would be nicer and just stay put in the newest DVC room? That's the main thing I was trying to figure out the difference (pros/cons) between AKL and WL.

I wasn't specifically looking for concierge. I was just wondering if that was included, and you guys answered that already for me.

Thanks for trying to help me!:mickey:

TinksDH
02-28-2008, 10:27 PM
We just came back from a stay at AKL Villas. They are very nice. We have stayed at VWL as well, and the studio at AKL seemed larger. The combined 2 bedroom (1 bedroom & studio lockoff) DEFINITELY seemed larger at AKL; that may be because they converted hotel rooms instead of building these from scratch, I don't know. Also, the savannah view is pretty awesome. I spent a lot of time looking at the animals!

There are also flat panel LCD TVs in AKL; I don't know if they have upgraded the TVs in VWL yet or not.

The only thing we really missed by staying at AKL and not VWL was the boatride from VWL to MK!

wendy*darling
02-29-2008, 08:34 AM
It should be 60 points at AKLV, for the 4 nights you specified, for a Value Studio. That means it will sleep 4 people, and will be set up like a regular hotel room, except that the 2nd bed is actually a pullout couch. Near the bathroom is a mini-kitchen (small fridge, microwave, sink, coffee maker).

At VWL a studio for the same 4 nights will be 70 points. The room layout is the same.

For a 1 bedroom for those same dates at AKV is 102 points and at VWL is 142 points.
And with the 1 bedroom, you would get the separate master bedroom, living room/full kitchen and washer/dryer. (Still only one bathroom though)

If your friend has the points to rent, and you have the cash to rent them- I would go for the 1 bedroom. You will get a better "feel" for what DVC can offer and you will have more space for everyone.
I fear a studio, with your mother in the mix, will feel cramped and too small.

Hope that helps. :mickey:

TinksDH
02-29-2008, 01:55 PM
In addition, some of the 1 bedrooms (non Value Rooms) at AKV sleep 5; in the living room there is a fold-out chair that converts into a twin bed in addition to the sleeper sofa.

The bathroom layouts are different as well. At AKV in the Jambo House (existing hotel rooms that have been converted), there is NOT a separate whirlpool tub and shower; the shower is in the tub. At VWL, it is the more traditional DVC 1 bedroom layout with the shower seperate from the tub, and the tub looking into both the bath area and sleeping area.

In either case, both are great accomodations!