PDA

View Full Version : 2 job offers... what would you do?

Here we go again...
02-27-2008, 10:53 PM
Well, my interview must have gone better than I expected... I got the call today with a job offer.

Here is the problem:
I was offered another job in a clinic pharmacy. I love the pharmacist that I would be working with. It is a M-F job but I would have about a 30 mile drive every day . With traffic, about 45 minutes to an hour each way. The pharmacist has agreed to let me off a little early every day so I can make it to my water aerobics classes.
I would not have to deal with customers because it is a clinic, we fill and someone else gets the meds to the patient.
2 weeks vacation after 1 year, holidays off, insurance starts 3 months after I do.

Today the call I got is working in a bank.
I do not have banking experience but have lots of management experience so they are offering me a head teller position.
M-F, pay is about the same, holidays off.
Insurance kicks in on the 1st of the month after I start and it looks like vacations can be offered sooner... and the banks are in town.

I am soooooo confused. I need to make a decision soon (tomorrow) and don't know what to do.

In the clinic there would be less stress and I know the pharmacist well. I know we would work well together. But, I am worried I would get bored.
In the bank I have a lot to learn, but love a challenge. I also love customer interaction....

What do I do????

Dakota Rose
02-27-2008, 11:03 PM
Congratulations on being in a good predicament! It's good to be in demand! :thumbsup:

I'm a fairly pragmatic person, so I would suggest calculating the cost of the commut. Gas is always climbing in price, plus there's wear-n-tear on your vehicle and your body. With the price of gas, you might find that the commute takes a sizable chunk out of that paycheck.

Either way, do what feels right! Good luck making a difficult decision! :)

kakn7294
02-27-2008, 11:33 PM
Wow, what a tough decision to make Angel! Make a list of the pros and cons you listed here and see what your heart says and go with that. Or you can call Bret and see what he says then do the opposite. :thumbsup: Good luck with your decision. Let us know what you choose!

disneydeb
02-27-2008, 11:53 PM
Good luck in youar decision making. I amnot going to try to sway youin either direction, just advise you to pray about it. That always helps when I am trying to make an important decision and then sleep in it.:thumbsup:

mook3y
02-28-2008, 12:01 AM
personally my first thought is....

how formal of a person are you?

If your very casual, you may not be very happy at a bank.

Also for me, I LOVE flexability in a schedule. I have not had to live with a rigid schedule for over 10 years, not so sure how I would deal with HAVING to work specific hours.

Either way, feel bleesed you have 2 job offers!!! :D

That much closer to your next Disney vacation either way!

Here we go again...
02-28-2008, 03:13 AM
Or you can call Bret and see what he says then do the opposite. :thumbsup:
What a great way to go about it!! We all know he is always wrong... I might have to call him. ;)

personally my first thought is....

how formal of a person are you?

If your very casual, you may not be very happy at a bank.

Also for me, I LOVE flexability in a schedule. I have not had to live with a rigid schedule for over 10 years, not so sure how I would deal with HAVING to work specific hours.

Either way, feel bleesed you have 2 job offers!!! :D

That much closer to your next Disney vacation either way!

For the last 10 years I have had a very flexible schedule. I know (and even my friends have made comments) how hard it is going to be to go to a job with a set schedule. But, both jobs will have the same type of schedule.

Any bankers out there that can tell me I will love it?

SBETigg
02-28-2008, 06:23 AM
Angel, I've worked in a bank. Take the pharmacy job. The drive doesn't sound great, but everything else about it does.

No seriously, the bank can be a high stress environment and job security just isn't there with so many banks merging and ATMs and online banking removing the need for long-term live tellers. The benefits at the bank? You get to know your customers and the people are great. If you're really social, this may be good for you. But some days are so slow you want to poke your eyes out while the start of every month is insanely busy.

The big con is the incessant pressure to balance your drawer. I've been out of banking for nearly twenty years and I still have nightmares about my totals being off at the end of the night. And you have to stay until you find where you went wrong. As head teller, I'm guessing you would be the one to stay until everyone balances out- which means a lot of overtime that you may not be expecting. If you love a challenge, you may enjoy it. And most times, you do balance or you wouldn't be there long anyway. Good luck in making your decision. This is a tough one. Follow your heart.

DizNee143
02-28-2008, 09:14 AM
congrats on both job offers..id be happy getting on job offer at the moment! lol..
what did you end up going with?? either way i hope you like it!! :mickey:

BigRedDad
02-28-2008, 09:17 AM
Benefits far outweigh pay. You need to see what benefits they offer for retirement: 401k matches, medical after retirement, etc. Another thing to look at is what bank this is for. Many banks are getting taken over by Wachovia, Bank of America, etc. When they take over the banks, many of the original employees are let go, demoted to put their own employees in the higher positions, and looked over on promotions.

It is a difficult call either way. You have to do which ever you think will be the best benefit for you.

Tygger7
02-28-2008, 09:38 AM
I echo the comment about banking being high stress...unless it's Disney World, I wouldn't take a job that forced me to deal with the public every day. (Plus, there's the whole robbery thing to consider...there's just too many in our area. May be different where you are, but something to think about.)

I work for a large insurance company and drive 40 miles each way to work every day. You get used to it, and it sounds like the pharmacist is flexible & understanding. Given the economy, banks & insurance companies seem to be very unsettled right now. The bank our company owns just restructrued and laid off over 200 people. The insurance side laid off over 700, with more layoffs to come.

Trust me....follow your heart and go with your deep down gut feeling. I didn't do that with my current job, and I HATE it here. I'm kicking myself for not following my heart years ago and working with animals. Remember, if you love your job and what you do, you'll never work a day in your life. Be happy....that's what's most important. :thumbsup:

murphy1
02-28-2008, 09:49 AM
I used to work in insurance, too. I really loved it, but if I ever do it again, probably will just work on agency side, company side is just way too political for me. After reading your post, it seems like you are leaning more towards the pharmacy one. Remember even though you have the drive, you will be there for all day. In the car, I used to do books on tape while driving, I had an hour drive with just two exits here in Atlanta, so 30 to 45 min is not bad. Your future boss sounds great, too. Also, being a teller at a bank, it seems like after awhile maybe you would be doing the same things anyway. i have also worked in the medical field ( I did medical transcription for two years). It has a lot more security and you are always learning something new plus you greatly impact someone's life, you are handling medicine that keeps people going.

January-2007
02-28-2008, 09:53 AM
This is a hard one. At first, I thought of course take the job that's closer to you, less of a commute with the increasing cost of gas is definately a plus.... But after reading the rest of the comments I've changed my mind. I would go with the clinic job because you already have a friend there, and that can make your life so much happier. Yeah, and with the economy the way it is, banking might not be the most stable choice. Plus I hate counting money at the end of the day. I've never been a banker but I've worked at stores where you have to count and count and count your drawer and that gets old fast. Good luck with your decision, go with what feels best deep inside and I'm sure you can make it work. :pixie:

murphy1
02-28-2008, 10:04 AM
PS Sherri, Sbetigg, always gives great advice!!:thumbsup: I really value her opinion.

SteveL
02-28-2008, 10:32 AM
Keep in mind that the pharmacist, with whom you get along so well, could be gone tomorrow. If that were the case, would you enjoy the job as much?

bleukarma
02-28-2008, 10:41 AM
PS Sherri, Sbetigg, always gives great advice!!:thumbsup: I really value her opinion.

Me too! :mickey:

Let us know what you choose. I also vote for the pharmacy job. Even though the drive is longer it sounds like you would be happier, and that’s the most important thing.

When I lived in Ohio I did a 35-45 min drive every morning. The drive really wasn’t too bad, you do get used to it. Something I always thought about doing (but never did) was getting Learn to Speak Italian cd’s so I could learn a different language while I was on my way to/from work. You can really find ways of multi-tasking when you have to! And when you arrive to a job that you enjoy it makes it so much better!

SBETigg
02-28-2008, 10:55 AM
Plus I hate counting money at the end of the day. I've never been a banker but I've worked at stores where you have to count and count and count your drawer and that gets old fast. Good luck with your decision, go with what feels best deep inside and I'm sure you can make it work. :pixie:

Part of what is so stressful about the banking is that it's not just the cash to count at night's end. You have to balance every transaction you've done all day. Every check cashed. Every account deposited to, withdrawn from, everything counts in the nightly totals. It's all on the computer (except for the actual cash to count), so that makes it easier, but human error steps in more than you expect. You could be distracted and do a withdrawal as a deposit by mistake- it happens, the screens look the same on the computer. You could put a check cashed in as cash by mistake. These things mess up your balance totals at the end of the day and every single transaction has to be retraced to find the error and fix it before you go home because you're dealing with other people's money and errors can't remain untended.

Other than that, it's not a challenging job and begins to feel mechanical (which is, in fact, when most errors are made- when it's slow and you begin to work on autopilot). The people can make the difference, though. You get to know so many great people in your area and you do establish relationships in your community. And working in town is a big pro, especially if you have little ones at school and you prefer to be close at hand. If you like working with finances and with people, this could be a great opportunity. I don't mean to scare you off. But it's probably not like the other management positions you've held, so I hope I've offered some insight.

Thanks, Shari. And I would say the same about you. :)

Mickey'sGirl
02-28-2008, 11:03 AM
Just chiming in here with good wishes! I hope you are happy with whichever job you choose. :pixie:

MsMin
02-28-2008, 11:15 AM
I have a tendency to first say the pharmaceutical job but then there are a few concerns...
You mention boredom..Angel I know you well and that's not something to be overlooked. Then what about advancements? Angel you are an achiever and love to be working toward something and accomplishing goals. Does this company have the opportunities for advancement?
I can't say much about banking b/c I know more ex employees of banks than I know employees. I agree it's stressful.
Don't bother with calling Bret b/c I know what he is going to say:
Which one lets you go to WDW 4 times a year :tigger:

Piglet822
02-28-2008, 11:27 AM
Or you can call Bret and see what he says then do the opposite. :thumbsup:

Sounds good to me, too :thumbsup:

d_m_n_n
02-28-2008, 04:06 PM
Personally if it were me, I would take the clinic job. I have been the head teller of a bank and it really is no fun!! It is so frustrating when you balance and are ready to go 5 minutes after closing and wind up having to wait up to 2 hours for someone to balance their drawer. Not to mention, working with the public is NO FUN when dealing with their money. I had yahoos coming in every week for me to balance their checkbook because they weren't capable of doing it themselves. And I've had individuals accuse me of stealing, only to find the money stuffed in their purse. Also, being the head teller, you are probably responsible for dealing with the "difficult" customer that the other tellers couldn't reason with.

Slow days weren't terrible (and I felt well deserved) as I would use those to take care of my own stuff. Not to mention, I was pretty close with my co-workers so we would usually have a pretty good time. But the bad definitely outweighed the good. That was the longest 2 years of my life...and I will NEVER work in banking again!!!

ETA: If you do decide on the pharmacy job, I would have it put in writing that your hours will be different. Sadly, your friend could be gone tomorrow and it needs to in your file the details of the agreement. The next guy/gal might not be as understanding!

SgtTigger
02-28-2008, 07:48 PM
Or you can call Bret and see what he says then do the opposite.

OK to all of you :fresh:

:funny:

Angel..... My Mom worked in a bank.... Everynight they had to stay late because someone could not balance..... No one goes home till everyone balances.....
As the Head Teller you have to find that problem and it is on you to find it now........
Also as mentioned banks are merging all the time and the first let go is the people at the top.... as head teller you could be gone...... Or if you move up that could be bad too.....

After what you have been through being bored might be a bad thing......... I am sure you will find things to do.... But as was brought up what about the pharmacist loosing his job?????

Goodluck.........

:cop: :tigger:

daparish
02-29-2008, 11:12 PM
I work for a bank and have for the last 19 years. I started when I was a senior in high school as a teller. I am now a junior broker/ sales assistant and work for a very demanding broker. I have worked 55hours this week (no, I am not hourly). I am currenlty working for a small locally owned bank but I have worked for the bigger nationwide banks. I can tell you the chances for advancement are unbelievable and there are many positions available ranging from insurance agents to brokers if you are not happy being a teller. That being said, the pay is not always that great. I have also heard horror stories about one of the banks in our area. Banking really has taken on more of a sales oriented tone and even our tellers are encouraged to "refer". Feel free to pm me if you want to chat more or have any specific questions about the banks in our area. (Our home office is located in Lafayette .)

wdw_bound
03-01-2008, 03:12 PM
My mom has been a teller off and on since I was in junior high. It has definitely changed over the years. At her current bank, they are given sales quotas and told to cold call when things get slow. She hates doing that.

Balancing is not a major issue for her, although it does seem to be for one or two others on a regular basis - it seems that either you get it or you don't. There is a limit (dollar amt and number of times) on how often you don't balance before you are out the door.

My mom enjoys her job (except for the sales stuff) most of the time. She does have to deal with difficult people, has gotten screamed at for refusing to cash checks (NSF in the acct), and has been robbed twice (took a long time to get over both events, although the bank was great about bringing people in to help the staff). I couldn't do it though. The tellers especially seem to have a lot of drama (at least that's how it seems to me compared to other departments) - no-good husbands, problem children, etc. And they all seem to know everything about the other tellers (for obvious reasons, they don't have any privacy at their work stations). Vacation time is also very limited - my mom has to put in for hers at the beginning of the year, and there is very little time off allowed during the holiday season.

Only you know which will make you happy, but good luck making a tough decision. You should feel REALLY good about getting two competing offers!

Here we go again...
03-04-2008, 01:59 AM
Well, I finally spoke to the HR person at the bank and turned down the job offer. I explained that I did not think the head teller position was going to be a good fit for me. I would love a challenge, but my health will not allow me to work in a high stress environment.

She took it very well and asked me how long before I started my other job. When I told her it would be about a month she sounded relieved and said that she would keep looking for another position that would work for both of us. The reason she offered the lead teller position was because that was what she has right now. Knowing that I am not in a rush makes it easier for her.

At least I know I did not blow my chances.

Oh yeah, you will all be happy to know that I made my decision based on a call from BRET.
And the fact that my DH read all of the responses on this thread and realized that what everyone was saying was exactally what I did not want in a job.

Thank you all for your help.

kakn7294
03-04-2008, 02:51 AM
Oh yeah, you will all be happy to know that I made my decision based on a call from BRET.I'm curious - did Bret advise you to take or turn down the banking job?

SgtTigger
03-04-2008, 07:02 PM
Oh yeah, you will all be happy to know that I made my decision based on a call from BRET.

I'm curious - did Bret advise you to take or turn down the banking job?

I did talk to Angel and my advise was that the banking job did not sound like a good fit to what Angel was looking for.

We then took the good points and then the Bad points and looked at both...... after looking at both Angel made up her own mind after talking to Bobby.

I was glad to be able to help and Angel knows I am a phone call away..... ( please stand clear of the doors )

Little does she know I really wanted to tell her to go work for Disney..... But Bobby might have killed me...... :thedolls:

:cop: :tigger:

Ed
03-04-2008, 07:27 PM
My DW had a similar predicament a few years ago.

She interviewed for one job on a Tuesday, and was offered a job right on the spot. She accepted, and was scheduled to start a week later.

The next day, she got a call from another company she had interviewed with the previous week, offering her a job with less desirable working hours, a little farther from home, but with similar benefits as far as vacation, sick leave, etc. She told them she'd like to discuss it with me and get back to them.

We kicked it around, discussed all the pros and cons, the financial considerations, etc. and she decided to take the second offer. After accepting that job, she called the first company and apologized for having to withdraw her original acceptance.

It all worked out for the best.

The first company? Dolly Parton's Dixie Stampede in Orlando, which is now out of business, all of their employees terminated with almost no notice.

And the second? A little company known as The Walt Disney World Co. As we all know, they are still in business, likely to stay that way, and she's still loving her job there!

:mickey:

SBETigg
03-04-2008, 07:42 PM
It sounds like the bank really wants you on board, and how cool that they are keeping you in mind and trying to find the right situation. The pharmacy job sounds like a good fit in the meantime, even with the travel. Best wishes and enjoy!