PDA

View Full Version : Bomb threat in DD's school today.

kakn7294
02-27-2008, 10:04 PM
My oldest DD Stephanie (almost 13) is in 7th grade in the combined middle school - high school. Today, a couple of girls (I know and dislike one of them) in her grade thought it would be fun to scrawl a bomb threat on the wall in a girl's bathroom, resulting in the middle school hallway being evacuated, the police being called in, and the bomb squad being called in complete with the bomb-sniffing dog. I found out about it when one of my Brownie mothers asked me if I knew who the kids responsible were - the school never notified parents but they did send home a letter with the students. Sad thing is, this is the 4th such incident in local schools in a week and I'm not even upset by it.

DisneyorBust
02-27-2008, 10:09 PM
How terrifying for your daughter and the other good kids, as well as the parents. Hopefully the person(s) responsible will be dealt with accordingly. Not just a slap on the wrist.
Hope your daughter is doing well with this incident.

kakn7294
02-27-2008, 10:25 PM
Thanks Eric. We talked to her at length about it and she seems okay plus she knows she can come to us if she's having a problem with it. It's such a shame all the things going on in our schools here lately. I do hope the girls are punished - they (and the other students) need to understand that what they did wasn't funny and it's never a joke.

mook3y
02-27-2008, 11:15 PM
Gosh, I can only imagine.... Going to Jr high was scary enough when I went, let alone all that goes on these days.

Now a days, that is not and idle threat and does need to be dealt with.

murphy1
02-28-2008, 09:29 AM
Thank God for parents like you, Kathy, b/c you know those girls probably have ones that pass everything off and aren't even there for them. That is scary though, and these girls are old enough to know better. I think you are handling the situation very well. I get so frustrated by things that I can't control like that, even though I shouldn't, you try so hard to be a good person and raise your family that way, and then have to deal with the rest of the world as best you can.

BelleLovesTheBeast
02-28-2008, 12:54 PM
I remember 20+ years ago this happening when I was in school. I remember the school being more concerned when there was a flasher than when there were bomb threats.

MsMin
02-28-2008, 02:18 PM
So sorry to hear this. I remember when my dd's school had a bomb threat but the teen who did it didn't realize the school had caller ID--
Recently we had the threat of violence at a mall in Metairie, near New Orleans (http://www.nola.com/news/index.ssf/2008/02/two_teens_arrested_by_jpso_for.html). The kids were caught and can be tried as adults and sentenced up to 25 years in jail. Maybe someone needs to educate these kids on threats of violence b/c it won't be too long before they are of legal age themselves.
It's really said. Hope your girls are doing fine! :hug:

tinkerbell04
02-28-2008, 03:01 PM
How scary! It is sad that you are becoming accustomed to the threats though, just as you let your guard down, something bad will happen. I am glad that you are a responsible parent and educate your girls on the topic :)

crazypoohbear
02-28-2008, 05:50 PM
what a terrible thing to have to go through.
I hope your DD isn't too scared by this, It's tough to go through this at that age.

KarenP
02-28-2008, 06:49 PM
My daughter was sent home from school early last week due to a bomb threat. There have been a lot of them at schools around here lately.

DizneyFreak2002
02-28-2008, 07:01 PM
Were the girls arrested??? Good God I hope so.... Enough of some kids acting like little punks... But, then again, the parents would say their daughters were angels, would never do anything like that, then sue the school and police for arresting the punks....

SBETigg
02-28-2008, 07:06 PM
Thanks Eric. We talked to her at length about it and she seems okay plus she knows she can come to us if she's having a problem with it. It's such a shame all the things going on in our schools here lately. I do hope the girls are punished - they (and the other students) need to understand that what they did wasn't funny and it's never a joke.

I hope they're punished, too. I would be surprised if they weren't put on a long suspension at the very least. Our schools don't fool around with threats like that, no matter the reputation of student or parents. Not funny, never a joke- absolutely. With the frequency of threats now, I think your school needs to take a strong approach to this.

poohbearlover15
03-01-2008, 10:30 PM
I am 13 and last year we had 4 bomb treats at the end of the year. Kids were just doing them so they could get out of school for a day. After the second threat the school stopped calling the police and didnt worry about it too much because too many kids joke around and its something that should not be joked about! This year we havent had any but another middle school already had five or six and since they missed soo much school they extended the school year another week!

Tink2002
03-02-2008, 08:05 PM
I experienced probably three or four bomb threats while I was in middle school, and then a handful at my high school.... it's never so much been an issue of being frightened as to whether they are real or not, but they are SUCH a disruption and an inconvenience for the students...

In both schools, they resorted to searching through all bags and purses on our way into school during periods where there were a lot happening... and the middle school principle decided that searching through backpacks was too inconvenient for the teachers, so we weren't allowed to use backpacks - rediculous! I remember dumping things on the floor multiple times because it was not possible to carry it all. At the high school, they purchased metal detector wands like they have at the airports and we had to get waved down on our way in at certain times....

Not to mention the disruption that goes on during the day to learning that happens when a threat is discovered.

The sad thing is that we've had two bomb threats at my UNIVERSITY following the Virginia Tech incident... you really think people would be old enough to know better by then...

Now I'm all riled up... off to the dining forum, perhaps!?? haha....