PDA

View Full Version : Any one suffer from TMJ?

ckaranassos
02-27-2008, 06:45 PM
This is the second time in four months that I have been experiencing the same symptoms. I feel fullness in both ears (one seems worse) with some pain (not severe) that radiates in front of my ear into my cheek, a dull headache and some lightheadedness (not severe, I kind of feel like I'm drifting on a boat). I went to my Dr. the last time, I thought I might have an ear infection, but it turned out I didn't and I have no congestion at all. Apparently, I am going to have to go to a ENT, but I wondered did this sound like TMJ. I happen to be one heck of a teeth grinder at night ;) and my jaw definetly pops and grinds when I open it sometimes. Thanks for the help!

Madame Leona
02-27-2008, 07:48 PM
I have tmj but I don't have all the same symptoms you are describing. When it's acting up my jaw feels very tired (like when you chew gum too long) and I have avery bad headache in my temples. I actually did have my jaw lock into one position for almost 3 months. I think seeing an ent is a good idea but I would also talk to your dentist if you think you have tmj.

Dakota Rose
02-27-2008, 08:25 PM
I was diagnosed with TMJ last October by my dentist. I went to see her because I was having really bad tooth and jaw pain. My husband said that I grind my teeth all night long. So, she fit me for a night guard and told me to alternate applying heat and ice. After 2 nights using the night brace, I felt a 50% improvement. Now I only have symptoms if I forget to wear it.

Mousefever
03-01-2008, 01:53 PM
My dentist just diagnosed me with TMJ. I have a majorly misaligned bite, I grind my teeth at night, and sometimes wake up from pain in my teeth and joint. I have not felt any fullness in my ears, however, so I think you're smart to cover all the bases.

My dentist just went to a conference on TMJ, and has ordered a bunch of new equipment to help people with TMJ. Apparently, with this new equipment, he will be able to make a model of my entire upper and lower jaw, and will be able to manipulate the joints. This should enable him to figure out how to bring the muscles, bones, and ligaments/tendons into harmony. I'm the first patient he will be using the new techniques on, and I'm excited about the potential results.

Until then, I have started taking one percocet tablet at bedtime. I no longer wake with joint pain. Obviously, it's not a long term solution, but it has helped significantly at night.

Amy

:dory:

PAYROLL PRINCESS
03-01-2008, 05:06 PM
I have mild TMJ, mostly when I'm stressed-all the time?!. I had ear aches and that's how I was diagnosed. My doctor told me to stop chewing gum and to eat fairly soft food for a few days. And I make an effort to relax my jaw.

prprincess
03-01-2008, 06:33 PM
I developed TMJ after I had my wisdom teeth removed about 10 years ago. Since then, it comes and goes when I'm stressed. When it does flare up I just used icepacks on my jaw area, and then I'll wear a mouthpiece at night.

AdventurelandTikiGirl
03-02-2008, 08:26 PM
When my TMJ flares up my chiropractor is my best friend.

MNNHFLTX
03-03-2008, 09:23 AM
Some of the symptoms you describe could be related to TMJ, although the lightheadedness I'm not so sure about. Could be that you have some vertigo related to inner ear issues--just a thought.

I have had TMJ problems on and off over the years, although it's been much improved over the last decade or so. I used to get the clicking sound in my jaw, as well as aching and stiffness in the joint. In my case, I do not grind my teeth, but I do clench my teeth at night and when I get stressed. I tried a night guard years ago, but would wake up every morning with it on the nightstand; apparently I was taking it out without waking up, so that went out the window. I have worked on not clenching my teeth so much, so that is probably why it has improved.