PDA

View Full Version : the Mountains for a 4 year old?

TanyaB
02-27-2008, 04:04 PM
Obviously Space Mountain is out of the question because my 4 year old son is not tall enough...weekly measuring (can you tell I'm Disney obsessed?) and he is now 40".
So technically he can go on BTMRR & SM. Do you think a 4 year old could handle these two?
I'm a little worried about the thought of him freaking out on SM and trying to get off in the middle of the ride! I'm thinking he's probably ok on BTMRR, but I'd like your opinions.
The last time we went he was 2.5 years old and was just too young and too short to go on anything big. :)

Kidsmom
02-27-2008, 04:44 PM
My 4 yo.LOVED these. He couldn't get enough! Mine is an adventure type and these suits him.

Another one of my children isn't that into rides and more nervous and unsure....she wouldn't have done well with these at 4 yo. (We had to push her and hold her hand for every ride she did for the first time at Disney at 8 yo.- in the end loved everyone of them, of course didn't do Space Mountain or TT or RNRC)

Just know your kids and see how the day goes and their mood.

Have fun!!

diz_girl
02-27-2008, 04:54 PM
You're talking Splash Mountain, right. He should probably be OK with SplM. But before trying BTMRR, see how he does on Goofy's Barnstormer first. Do the Barnstormer ride, then go and try SplM and if he's OK with both, maybe try BTMRR. You could go to the observation and photo area by the ride exit, or some other area where he can see part of the ride, and show the ride to your son, of course making sure that he sees at least one train go by. Then ask him if he wants to go on the ride. If he doesn't like what he sees, then you'll just try again next time. If he goes on it and doesn't like it, at least the ride is only 3-4 minutes long. Unlike most WDW rides, at least with BTMRR you can see what you're getting into.

As for other rides that he can do because of his height, he should be OK with Soarin' and Test Track too, but ToT may be too intense for someone his age.

tink179
02-27-2008, 05:28 PM
I think your son should do fine. :mickey: My family and I were there in January and my ds was 4 1/2 he'll be 5 in April, and he went on those rides plus Expedition Everest and Space Mountain! He loved them. The only ride that still scares him and his older brother who will be 8 in September is Dinosaur. :mickey: But the brave boys that they are still try it every year. :mickey: I think he would enjoy them!!! Give it a try!:thumbsup:

sillydisneymommy
02-27-2008, 06:01 PM
It will always depend on the personality of the child whether or not he/she is ready for a ride. But, from a physical standpoint, my son was 3 last September, and just barely made the 40 inch mark, so we were thrilled to take him on SM for the first time! He was so excited and wanted to go over and over, which was fine with me, because I could easily put my arm around him on the drops (even though it wasn't really necessary). We did, however, decide to wait on BTMRR due to its intensity. Even though Barnstormer is his fav ride, TM is so much more "herky-jerky" and we just didn't feel comfortable with it yet. We think we will be letting him ride next Sept. when he is 4 1/2 and has a little more height and weight on him, although I would definitely put my arm behind his head as a cushion on that ride! Have a great trip!! :D

DisneyDD2
02-27-2008, 10:15 PM
Two and a half years ago when our DS was 4 he loved the thrill rides at MK- Splash and Big Thunder. He, too, was not tall enough to ride Space Mtn. But just a year later he could and he loves that one as well. Ya'll have fun! :thumbsup:

Sean Riley Taylor's Mom
02-27-2008, 10:32 PM
Our DD was just shy of 4 on our last trip. She went on Splash and Goofy's Barnstormer. I can't say she loved them but, she was okay with both.

We held off on BTMRR. Even though it is one of my favorites, I thought it was too jerky and rough for her. I don't think she was ready for it.

She loved Soarin though!!

Have a great trip!

Dakota Rose
02-27-2008, 11:36 PM
This is a great thread! DS3.5 will be 4 when we go next. He's already 41.5 inches tall so I'm counting on him wanting to ride a lot of the "big" rides. I'm a little hesitant on Splash b/c of the kind of "scary" part where it's dark and then the drop seems really big. But I'm fairly certain he'll love BTMRR. I think it's a good idea to give Barnstormer a try first to see if he likes coasters. :) Have fun!

HairyBear
02-28-2008, 12:34 AM
Let the kids choose, if you scare them then they may never want to ride. On the other hand if they want to try and enjoy it they will have made the decision for themselves. It would be terrible if this was going to be your only visit WDW. Almost everyone wants to ride the mountains of WDW. But how many find joy at Poohs thoughtful place or playing in the Honey I Shrunk The Kids play area,even if they aren't too big to enjoy these areas a child would love more than an adult.:mickey:

BelleLovesTheBeast
02-28-2008, 12:38 AM
I think they'd be okay. Last Sept. there was a 4 yr. old behind us on BTMRR. He was so cute! It was his 1st time on a "big kid" ride and when he got off the 1st thing he said was that he wanted to go again.

Von-Drake
02-28-2008, 07:28 AM
I took my 4 year old son on BTMRR in August of 2007. He handled it quite well. Two college age girls in front of us, kept looking back to see how he was doing. We did get stuck in the part with the rocks trembling, falling and the earthquake sounds for a few minutes and this he did not like. When ever we hot the slow parts, he had a scared look on his face, but loved the fast moving drops, but the curves, brought a concerned look to his face. Overall I think he liked it. :thumbsup:

BigRedDad
02-28-2008, 08:19 AM
Many 4yo's would like them. However, if they get scared as it gets closer, don't force them on. You know your child's limits more than anyone here. Bribery works well, but not force.

yjgirl715
02-28-2008, 08:40 AM
We went down there last May when my ds was only 3- almost 4 and he actually asked to go the Tower of Terror. I was very reluctant to put him on and we explained the entire ride and what would happen and he still wanted to go it- so we went and he loved it. I think it all depends on what your child wants to do. I wouldn't push it if they don't seem too enthusiastic about it, but if they want to then go for it. Good luck.:mickey:

c&d
02-28-2008, 09:32 AM
When DS reached the height minimum for rides we let him decide if he wanted to go on. On some rides we'd be walking up and he'd be all excited and then we could tell by his demeanor that he was rethinking the ride. When we saw that happen we'd stop and talk about it and let him know that he didn't have to do it now, we'd come back and do it later. We always left the choice up to him when to do a ride for the first time.

Mickey'sGirl
02-28-2008, 09:40 AM
Our youngest has been riding all the 40" rides since he was 2 .... and LOVED LOVED LOVED them...... Now that he's 4, he is not so sure that he wants to ride Tower of Terror anymore .... but he's still all ready for the mountains! I would ask your son, and if he's interested and if he's tall enough, then I would certainly take him on them. I wouldn't push him though, as it could turn him off the rides forever!

Gooftroop5
02-28-2008, 09:48 AM
Yes I think your 4 yo should be fine on both rides. My dd went on BTMRR when she was 3. She had a blast. Of course I rode with her and didn't let go of her the whole time even though she wanted me to. We didn't feel she was physically old enough to go on SM (cause of the bigger drops on the end). We thought she should wait another year. Well its been a long year that turned into 6 almost 7 years.

Both of my boys will be 4/5 when we go and they will be tall enough. If they wish to go on both then they can.

I'm one that feels that is more than just height on a ride age is a big consideration and know that just because my child is tall enough doesn't make it necessarily safe there bone structure and muscles aren't strong enough for them to ride the rides. Call me over protective but I rather deal with a little fit because I won't let them ride something then give in and get them hurt or killed cause they weren't physically ready. DD still deals with this and cause she ride any roller coaster if I'd let her. She's tall for her age.

wire0monkey
02-28-2008, 11:18 AM
My son was four when we went in September. He did both of those mountains. He loved them.

I'd just ask your child if he wants to try it and play it by ear.

stitch34
02-28-2008, 02:42 PM
My niece will be 4 in May when we go and currently she is just now 40 inches tall. She will be going on Splash Mountain and she can't wait. It's all she talks about. We know she should be fine with the drop because she has gone a couple different flume rides that she met the height requirement and she loved them.

As far as Big Thunder we are still debating. She wants to go on it but we are concerned about the herky jerky movements of the ride. She has gone on Barnstormer last year and loved it. My question is would they let her sit in between 2 adults to help prevent her from getting pushed side to side too much. I was also wondering about the weight of those children that have gone on because while my niece is tall enough she is pretty thin.

Sean Riley Taylor's Mom
02-28-2008, 02:59 PM
My question is would they let her sit in between 2 adults to help prevent her from getting pushed side to side too much. I was also wondering about the weight of those children that have gone on because while my niece is tall enough she is pretty thin.

I ride in one seat with my two boys, 8 &10 on BTMRR but, I would think two adults and one child would be pretty tight in one row. I am sure someone else has more experience with that though.

That is the reason we did not take our DD on it in September. It is a pretty rough ride. I can't wait to get her on it though. We all love it!! We will see in December! ;)

BandMan
02-28-2008, 03:20 PM
Our youngest DD was 4 on our last trip. We did both Splash and BTMRR. She loved them. Whenever we ask her what her favorite ride was she says "The Splash ride - 'cause it tickled my tummy!" :mickey:

HairyBear
02-28-2008, 07:10 PM
The fact that most guests can enjoy all the attractions are the appeal of this place!! :thumbsup:

McGoofy
02-28-2008, 10:37 PM
My DH is 6'2", and our son has always been tall for his age. His first thrill ride was SM when he was only 3 years old. He loved it. We have always approached it by telling him when he was at the measuring sticks, "If Disney says you are tall enough to ride, it must be safe. They wouldn't let you ride it if it was going to hurt you.":mickey: He's a very adventurous kid, and has always bee eager to try to the rides. He's 9 now and can't seem to get enough of all the major roller coasters. I think that your 4 year old will do fine.

snuggs30
02-29-2008, 09:47 AM
:mickey:

My 6 yr old has been riding BMTRR since 3 yrs old. I use to put my arm around him just for the extra cushion behind his back and neck, but now I am not aloud to. He was also riding splash at that age and totally loved it:number1:. He just rode space last april and he couldn't get enough of it! Next trip in Nov. we are going to try Tower of Terror. I told him Rock and Roll will have to wait a few more years because I just dont like the idea of him going upside down yet. But if you have a little dare devil like me, they should be fine! :magic::joy:

psychotekkie
02-29-2008, 09:16 PM
When my son was 2 he loved Goofy's Barnstormer.
When he was 3 (almost 4), he found Barnstormer too scary, yet he loved Big Thunder Mountain.
Maybe it is just a matter of perception.

#1disneyfan
02-29-2008, 09:26 PM
We took our DD12 on the mountains when she was 4 1/2. She was tall enough for Space and that was her first ride. Every ride after that she asked if the ride was in the dark or fast. We felt so bad, poor parenting there. She loved BTMRR and we could not even remotely convince her to get on Splash. She did ask to repeat Space on that trip though, go figure. My opinion, start with BTMRR and if your 4 yo likes that one, explain the others and let him make the decision. Don't force him on the rides, otherwise he will be unhappy and so will you and everyone else around you. Have a great time, I am sure your 4yo will!

javamama
02-29-2008, 10:43 PM
My ds was 3 1/2 last April on his first trip, and about 42 inches(dh is 6'2) so he took one look at Big Thunder and fell in love with it--he loves trains. He did great dh held him tight on some of the curves. As for Splash, he had a ball again we held him on the drop. He also rode Tower of Terror, and didn't want to go back on it. This year he wants to try Everest, I'm leary he's about 45 inches w/out shoes on. I definately will not let him ride Space this year, I had a scary experience on it as a 7 year old so since you now ride alone he's not going for a few years. When I rode the first time in '79, my dad had my sister w/him behind me. I got bounced around so bad, my dad thought I flew out of the car I ended up half way on the floor--my grandpa was supposed to go on w/me but had a heart condition and couldn't go so I threw a fit, so my dad let me go---bad move.

Flower
03-01-2008, 11:41 AM
DS was almost 4 on our last trip, we did not do splash because it was closed.

When he was 2 he went on Goofys Barnstormer and it freaked him out a little, he would not go on GBS this past trip.That being said - he liked BTMRR and we got him on it twice! Weird kid!!!! His favorite ride ever is Soarin' though!

McGoofy
03-01-2008, 01:36 PM
When he was 2 he went on Goofys Barnstormer and it freaked him out a little, he would not go on GBS this past trip.That being said - he liked BTMRR and we got him on it twice! Weird kid!!!! His favorite ride ever is Soarin' though!

This is true about being careful about the first thing you take your small child to. My DS was absolutely fine with Splash Mountain at 3 yo, but that same visit we took him to It's Tough to be a Bug. That scared him so badly, that even though he is now 9yo, he still does not want to go to that! That first scary ride/attraction tends to leave quite an impression!!!

PAYROLL PRINCESS
03-01-2008, 02:33 PM
My nephew was 4.5 when he went on BTM last Sept and when we got off he asked what that ride was. I told him it was a rollercoaster and he said "that's it?"
And on SpM he loved it, but when we got to the buzzards, he'd say oh oh! But he went again and again.
So it all depends on the kid.

RocknRoller94
03-03-2008, 08:17 PM
My sister loves Splash, but will not ride BTMRR. I was the other way around, and didn't ride Splash until I was 8 or 9. Some 4 year olds will love both rides, however, and some won't. I'd try it, but if he doesn't like the rides, wait a few years before trying it again(unless he wants to).

WDWFREAK101
03-03-2008, 10:01 PM
Ok, i am getting kind of annoyed with these threads. Everybody puts stuff like this on here. If you don't think your kid will like it, skip it. It is as simple as that. I have a 5 year old. He LOVES Space Mountain. It is the first ride we go on when we first get there and the last ride we do at the end of our day. He also loves Splash Mountain. I even got him to stick his hands up! :number1: I can't wait to see him grown up and go to Disney on a regular basis. If you REALLY want your kid to ride Space Mountain, just go on it. (There goes Parent of the year again. :thumbsup:) I did that with him. Obviously i am smart enough to not take him on Mission Space because that one i don't feel comfortable with him on untill he is older. You just need to play parent and figure out what your kid likes. Only you can know that. We can't figure that out for you. If you think that your kid will like a ride, take him on it. See if he likes it. If it goes into forcing, than stop. The last thing you need is to have your kid hate you for riding a ride they never wanted to go on in the first place. We can't tell you anything. My kid is a die hard thrill seeker. Others might be a little more scared of rides. We can't give you a solid opinion. You need to figure out what is best for the kid and see what he will like. Sorry, but that is how it is.

stephntampa
03-04-2008, 08:00 AM
We took our 3.5 yo DS on Goofy's Barnstormer this past weekend for the first time and he HATED it. This was his first ever roller coaster ride. He had expressed in the past that he wanted to ride a roller coaster, so he was definitely up for it, we didn't push him at all. Poor guy clung to me and cried the whole time. Thankfully Barnstormer is a short ride. I guess you really never know until you try! BTW, my kid is a very typical boy.. a DAREDEVIL.. go figure.