PDA

View Full Version : Are your little ones Adventurous or like to play it safe?

Gooftroop5
02-27-2008, 03:08 PM
I was wondering your younger children love the "scarier/darker" rides (HM, POTC, Snow White, IASW) or is Dumbo their safest bet?

My boys are adventures. You let them ride it they will ride it. This is their first trip to WDW. Last year they went to several other parks closer to home and they were thrill seekers. Roller coasters (kiddie) cried cause their sister was riding the bigger rides without them. Waiting to see how they do on the "darker rides" They so are excited about POTC.

Dd is now the last couple years she has anyways gotten into the bigger thrill rides. Ok thrill rides always has been her favorite. The more twists turns upside down speed there was she loved it. Loved BTMRR however she was afraid of the dark. So we always had to watch what she went on for that. She loved POTC & Snow White however was afraid of the HM and the beginning and end of SE (original even before they put the monitors in) However she wanted to ride SE cause other than those couple of parts she liked the ride and teased to ride it then would cry when it got dark. We ended up giving her a "magic wand" a fiber optic flashlight that way she had light when she got scared but it wasn't bright enough to bother other people on the ride. Hopefully this year we won't have the "light" issue with her.

Flower
02-27-2008, 03:56 PM
My kid is weird!!!

DS is almost 4, loves HM, POTCB, & BTMRR, everything in Fantasyland - we could not for the life of us get him on Goofy's Barnstormer though!!!

Strmchsr
02-27-2008, 04:05 PM
My sons are night and day. The oldest is fairly timid and has to be coaxed into things and my youngest seems to be already in training as a stunt man, so it makes for an interesting trip to WDW.

DNS
02-27-2008, 04:46 PM
We have a 9 year old who won't try anything with a drop, she even hates POTC for that reason. She is not too thrilled with any of the dark rides either. I don't want to coax for fear it will turn out terrible for her and mess up her day or trip. I never know how hard to try to encourage. Of course I would never force her.

#1donaldfan
02-27-2008, 06:00 PM
Our now 16yr old DD......can't stop her, the scarier the better

Our now 9yr old DD......loves adventure, has to be coaxed some.....

Our now 12yr DS......loves adventure, love everything fast and spinny, the only thing that he does not like is TOT ?????

Sammyjo
02-27-2008, 10:09 PM
We prepare my three year old when she goes on rides. We explain in detail what to expect and most of the time she has a good time. If we don't explain she gets pretty freaked out. She loved goofy's barnstormer, tea cups, dumbo, and alladin. Potc not so much. Now on playgrounds she gives safe a new meaning. She doesn't climb up things, she will go to the first level and stop. She doesn't go down slides. She has a great fun talking with the other kids and watching them, but when asked to join in she tells them "Well, I'm too scared."

Sean Riley Taylor's Mom
02-27-2008, 10:55 PM
My sons are night and day. The oldest is fairly timid and has to be coaxed into things and my youngest seems to be already in training as a stunt man, so it makes for an interesting trip to WDW.

Same for our boys! :thumbsup:

Our DD loves all the rides she has been on, with the exception of Splash and Goofy's Barnstormer. She did them but, she was not a big fan. She is only 4 though. I am guessing she is going to be a mix of her brothers as she gets older. ;)

My boys do not like Dinosaur at all though. The one ride in WDW that they flat out will not ride!! DH and I are totally fine with that. We are not fans of it either!! They rode it the first time and were not thrilled. They gave it another try the next year with the same outcome...lol.

Von-Drake
02-28-2008, 07:32 AM
Honestly for the most part, I think my son is indifferent. As long as Mom or Dad is there I bet he will try anything once.

yjgirl715
02-28-2008, 08:47 AM
My ds is very adventurous! The faster is goes the better. He is only 4- boy am I in trouble. Not afraid of the dark-wasn't afraid of the TOT. He wanted to ride the aerosmith ride which he was not tall enough to. He loved SM, PotC, HM, and even tried to get on EE. He climbs, jumps, rolls, etc. Not a scary bone in his body.:D

mudpuppysmom
02-28-2008, 10:09 AM
Our DS decides whoever is with us that day if he's going to "be scared" or not....if his cousins are with us he'll ride HM, if they are not then he plays the "I'm scared of the ghosts" card, so we don't make him go but we do remind him that he goes with the girls.....

He loves the coasters though! He could NOT wait to be tall enough to ride Primeval HURL....in January he finally got to ride it and I watched since I'm pregnant -- he LOVED it. yet he won't ride EE (because of the "eti" he tells me he's scarey, yet he went with his cousins!).

SPLMtn and SPMtn are different though, he likes to get wet, but the trip to space "hurts his back", so he is split on those.

So I'm not sure if I have a daredevil or a little player........I think he likes to play his parents and goes with the girls, so I'm leaning more towards a player!

Mickey'sGirl
02-28-2008, 10:12 AM
I'd say my guys are adventurous -- but they don't like to get wet. Splash is a duck and cover event for us -- and they wont even consider Kali River Rapids again.

Yano
02-28-2008, 02:17 PM
my kids are different, DD11love thrilling rides, her favorite is TOT, on the other hand my DS9 does not like thrill rides at all, we tried to convince him to try a few times then we decided that it is his choice after he explained to us that one day when he was younger: " I'm not scared, I just have a strange feeling in my tummy, and I dont like it"
in the end it works out great because we get to have more faspases, since the ones he likes usually do not have a long lines.
:flower:

Jeff G
02-28-2008, 02:59 PM
All of my kids have been on the adventrous side. My older kids ,11 & 9, have gone on any ride they have been tall enough for during our visits. My DS is tall for his age and was riding TOT at a very young age and loved it.

My youngest son who just turned 3 has been on every ride he is tall enough for and loves them all. Last year he rode the Barnstormer laughing the whole time and since there was no one in line he rode it three times in a row.

BigRedDad
02-28-2008, 03:18 PM
My DD is 2. She dives off the couch, does butt bombs on the bed to bounce off flying through the air, bungee jumps. I would say she is on the adventurous side. She does get scared a little from new things like the vacuum. She stopped being scared when I let her knock on it. I am hoping that she will not be afraid of the rides when we are there. The only ones that concern me a bit are HM, PotC, Goofy's Barnstormer. I think she will enjoy them after the first time.

laward32
02-28-2008, 09:06 PM
I have 2 girls that are 6 & 7 and we've been 3 times the past three years and since the first trip they would have rode everything if they had been tall enough. TOT is my youngests favorite ride. Space Mt is my oldest favorite. She wanted to ride EE sooo bad, but I didn't want to wait the long wait. They are both very adventurous. :mickey:

crazypoohbear
02-29-2008, 09:47 AM
Mine are opposites as well
my oldest loves the thrill rides as do I
My youngest thinks the best thrill ride is the TTA :D YES the TTA not the TOT!
However at 13 I finally got him to try splash, as long as I held onto him so he didn't fall out ( he's 5'6" and weighs 140lbs!) He did it and loved it and said he will do it again.
My DH won't do the thrill rides either so I do them with #1 son. I get scared ( I need to sit on the outside with my left arm free and I'm okay??!!)on TOT but do it because he loves it so much.

LilHooligan74
02-29-2008, 01:09 PM
This is a great topic. My DD5 loves absolutely anything that moves fast. Not a huge fan of "scary" or "dark" rides. She is larger than the average five year old so she can can get on rides some children her age can't. Her mentality is still that of a five year old, so I spend alot of time holding on to her:mickey:. We live near the Hard Rock Theme Park and she is always asking when the Led Zeppelin Roller Coaster is gonna be done so she can ride it.
My DD7 is a big scaredy cat. She has to be coaxed on everything. We were doing EMH at Ak last year and DW and DD5(4 then) went on Kali, I could not get her to do it. I finally dragged her kicking and screaming, ending up carrying her over my shoulder(insert mean daddy reference here) Once on it we all rode it 6 times, she LOVED it. The staff let us stay on because it was near closing. That was great!

mook3y
03-03-2008, 02:31 PM
lol we have always joked our DD was going to be a base jumper, because she always climbs up on stuff and jumps off it. (nothing too high yet - but off arm of couch)

Anyways, last year, DD3 DS5, DS only ended up going on TOT because DD wanted to go. She immediately wanted to go on it again, she loved it so much. We had to bribe our son with a something from the giftshop to get him to go again. But he did go. :)

But other than that, the kids love everything they can get on. DS really wants to go on RnR :confused: we have explained it goes upside down... but he insists that sounds fun! Hope so! :cool:

FlaTinkRAMESAM
03-03-2008, 03:36 PM
I've got the coolest 3 year old ever... We started going to Disney regularly on her 2nd birthday... she has been riding and loving the "scary" rides since then. Loves PoTC, HM, Snow White, etc. I will pretend to be scared and she will go "Mommy, don't be scared. It's not real!" Love it. She sings the song on HM and PoTC... loves all the little dark things. She can't wait until she is big enough for Splash, BTMR, & Stitch. We measure her every time we go... She really cracks me up how into all of it she is and how fearless she is.

WDWFREAK101
03-03-2008, 09:54 PM
I have the coolest 5 year old boy. All we have to do is ask him if he wants to ride anything and he will say yes. We won't even have to tell him what it is. He won't even have to see it! We went to Space Mountain with him. As soon as we went in the blue light tunnel, he was laughing and having fun! As soon as the thing was over, he BEGGED me to go back on!
We went over to Splash Mountain and we stared at the drop and he IMMEDIATELY agreed to hop on! He was laughing on the HM and having the time of his life. I want to take him on Mission Space, my wife doesn't like that idea though. :mad: He wants to go on it too. Anyway, i have the coolest 5 year old kid. We have the time of our lives at Disney because i never have to worry about him screaming or whining not to go on a ride.