PDA

View Full Version : Help!!!

monkeycity
02-27-2008, 12:17 AM
I wasn't sure where to post this, so Moderator, please feel free to move this where it needs to be.

My DW and I have not always met eye-to-eye on our feelings for Disney. Let's just say that I fit in wholeheartedly with my fellow Intercotees :number1:, and she... Well, let's just say that she wouldn't care if she ever visited Disney again. :sob: In fact, just a few days ago, she suggested that I go on a fast, a Disney fast. She said, no Intercot, no Disney movies, music, nothing for a whole month. Guys, that is an impossibility for me, and I of course said, :noway:

I know it is childish, and I admit to being a little obsessive. But, I never allow my passion for all things Disney to come between our relationship. We have two kids that love Disney just as much as me :cloud9:, and I think it's okay to let them love it. She has said, more than once, "You've ruined them!"

I don't know what to do! This is not serious enough of an argument that our marriage is on the rocks, by any means. This is just one sore spot in our relationship. Everything else is just fine! :dance:

She has said that she doesn't ever want to spend a vacation at Disney. We've never gotten to stay on property before, and I was hoping that this YOAMD would be our chance! She just :shake: when I bring it up.

What should I do??? Should I finally give up my other true love for good? Help!:cry:

mrsgaribaldi
02-27-2008, 02:49 AM
I feel bad for you but I also feel bad for your wife because she doesn't know what she's missing;)
How many times has she been to Disney? If she's never stayed on property I think she's missed alot. I think you need to keep your love (of Disney). Why does she want you to skip everything for a month? Going online and reading about Disney doesn't affect her at all, does it? Am I missing something? Do you have to throw her off the computer? I think she's being unfair to ask you to do that.
Good luck. I think I would really be upset if my DH didn't share my love for Disney:( Thank God he does:thumbsup: Here's some :pixie::pixie::pixie::pixie:for you so that she changes her mind somehow.

Cinderelley
02-27-2008, 05:51 AM
Going out on a limb here and saying that maybe she views it as a problem in your relationship even if you don't. Maybe she feels like your Disney obsession takes away time from her. Have you asked her why she wants you to take a hiatus?

My DH doesn't like Disney either, so I go by myself, with some friends, or with the kids. Maybe you can send her on a spa vacation while you and the kids visit Mickey.

tinklover
02-27-2008, 09:32 AM
I am so sorry you are going thruu this. like another poster asked how many times has she been to Disney? my DBF use dto be the same way . he never got my love of Disney and would roll his eyes when I wouldmention Disney. Last year was his first time there and before the trip when I would mention how many days we had til weleft and that I was soo excited, he would just roll his eyes. Now that he has been there he is just as bad as me. He was teh one who mentioned taking another trip to Disney and mentioned the idea to our family members to take my sis in law as a graduation suprise. he beats me to announcing the countdown day AND he now spots all things Disney like Saturday he went to the store for me because I was sick and he came home with mickey pizzas for the girls. i was in shock. so maybe if you could possibly talk her into just one trip onsite she might feel the magic and join you and your kids in the love of all things Disney.

alpro2
02-27-2008, 09:46 AM
... Well, let's just say that she wouldn't care if she ever visited Disney again. :sob: In fact, just a few days ago, she suggested that I go on a fast, a Disney fast. She said, no Intercot, no Disney movies, music, nothing for a whole month. Guys, that is an impossibility for me, and I of course said, :noway:

Perhaps you should try a compromise? Maybe if you cut out the movies, music, and limit your time on Intercot, perhaps she would compromise and reconsider a WDW vacation. Try to keep Disney out of her face, and pay attention to the things that whe likes. Everything in her life is Disney (due to your obsessiveness), so the last thing she wants is a Disney vacation.

Just my :twocents:.

Disney Doll
02-27-2008, 01:45 PM
Here's my two cents. My husband can be a little obsessive about his hobbies so I can kind of understand where your wife might be coming from. Make sure she doesn't feel like she is competing with your love of all things Disney. Take her up on a Disney free month. It's just a month. Show her that you can make time for the things she enjoys. Once she sees that you really do put her first you can start enjoying your movies, music, and Intercot again in moderation. Maybe for your next vacation go somewhere she wants. For the vacation after that see if you can get her to go on one more Disney trip. Stay onsite and let her make some decisions- where to stay, where to eat, what to do, etc. If she is invloved in the planning she might be more excited and she might find things to do at Disney that she never knew existed- GF spa, fine dining, water sports, you know the stuff that goes beyond the parks. Or see if you can talk her into a Disney cruise as a compromise. You get a few days at the parks, plus a few days at the beach. If she really hates it and refuses to come along on a Disney trip ever again take a trip just you and the kids. Good luck!

thrillme
02-27-2008, 03:03 PM
The question of the day is what DOES she like. Maybe staying ON SITE of a delux hotel that has amenities such as a spa and such...maybe treating her to someplace really special for dinner maybe in the light of "Victoria and Alberts", or perhaps Circus Sol Eh? Of course I know her a lot less than you do...How about a beautiful room...a day at the Spa then she comes back to a room with roses and then is whisked off to a dinner with fine dining....

Maybe she'd like a "Disney" cruise. Maybe if you rent a car and do some "disney" and some OTHER stuff while in Florida. Like a beach or a nice drive to St Augustine (very beautiful, very historical). Maybe take in a Medival times Dinner or a Pirates Musical...Maybe some Parasailing at one of the resorts...MAYBE (IF and only IF she does like theme parks) stay at one of the Universal hotels and spend a few days at Universal...go and see the Blue Man Group (Ok Ok...everybody stop booing :bolt:).

The key thing would be to LISTEN to what she's interested in. Maybe shorten the Disney trip and plan a 2nd trip somewhere else. (Does she like Vegas).

Maybe even seperate vacations is OK too. My parents have been happily married for over 50 years...Mom likes Vegas...Dad likes fishing.

From what I've wittnessed about Disney dislike is there's often someone leading the parade. Little things they'd like to do might be poo-poo'd or "latered" by someone who simply must do Splash Mountian first. I had one friend of mine who was dying to do a character dinner and have her picture taken with her favorite Disney character. For most of the trip it seemed like they were always following someone else...she was told "tomorrow". Finally the trip was almost over and no sign of tomorrow in site. Things got a bit tense. Eventually they made a little extra effort to make the dinner happen and things were good again.

DisneyDog
02-27-2008, 06:48 PM
My DH and I have a lot of interests in common, but we don't have everything in common. Luckily, he's into Disney too. But, one thing he's into that I'm really not that into is Drum Corps. I don't enjoy going to a football stadium at night in August to sit on the bleachers (with my bad back) and mosquitoes flying around, and watch stuff that he gets all excited over that I just don't get. But, I love my DH, and I appreciate that this makes him happy, and that it makes him happy to have me go with him...so, I go.

Maybe I'm biased, but I just don't get what is so horrible about Disney. There are a lot worse hobbies/interests you could have. Granted, Disney is an expensive hobby, but there isn't anything illegal about it, and not something you are doing behind her back.

Do you do things with her that she likes to do? Maybe things that you don't really enjoy as much as she does, but you do it because you love her? Maybe you two need to come to a compromise...do things for each other just because you love each other and want the other to be happy.

Marilyn Michetti
02-27-2008, 08:34 PM
Hmmmmmm........., oh well, I'm going to side with DH.

If you talk over dinner about the kids, school, church, etc., what does it matter if you listen to "magic music" or check in with the rest of us nuts.? Do you help out with the chores? Go to work, and bring your pay home?

I say, let the smile on your face be a mystery ! If DW say's, "you're thinking about Minnie again", I think that's your business.:D

azdisneymom
02-27-2008, 09:33 PM
I feel your pain. DH doesn't want to go back for a long, long time. This year dd and I went, just the two of us on a girls only trip. I love my sweetie obviously. We have been married well over 21 years. However since both us girls feel the same way about Disney it was probably the best WDW vacation I have ever had and we are going back before the end of the year . Can you imagine - 2 times in 1 year, whoo hoo! Maybe your dw is just burnt out and needs a break. The next time she agrees to go make it an all out pamper your wife trip, as thrillme suggests. Tune into her and her likes and hopefully she will tune into yours. Take it from me - a little give and take works wonders.

Tink#64
02-27-2008, 11:23 PM
OK, I too am wondering if DW has been to WDW, if so when & where did she stay? I have found that the majority of people that say they don't like Disney are the people that have either never been or people that went in the heat of summer with no plans! :ack:

I know I get irritated with DH when I feel that he is spending too much time on his hobbies & not in touch with what's going on at home, helping out & spending times with DS's. But - NO DISNEY FOR A MONTH? That's pretty big! Is this a challenge or is she fed up with Disney?

After vacationing at WDW 3 years in a row, DH & I have decided to visit it every other year with our vacation being somewhere else on the off years. I almost begged to go back last year even though we already had plans & ressies for the beach! We had a great beach vacation but now we're all chomping at the bit to get back to Disney! Lucky for me, DH actually does love it as much as me! We also have friends that share our love for Disney & it's great! Somehow whenever we're together, at some point the conversation will turn to Disney! Do you have anyone in your circle that shares your love of Disney, someone that might really inspire your DW?

Good luck, I hope you can make peace on this! :pixie:

HairyBear
02-28-2008, 12:54 AM
You know what she likes so maybe you can take advantage of some of the special events at WDW Star Wars, Flowers, Marathons,Wine ,Soap Operas the list goes on. I guess you could always take the trip with your kids while she stayed home or went on a differnet vacation.