PDA

View Full Version : Uh oh, another smoking thread

JohnnyJayhawk
02-26-2008, 07:13 PM
Disclaimer: I am in no way trying to start another smoking debate here on Intercot. I just want to pass on some info.

We were at the parks a few weeks ago when my wife encountered a person smoking outside Playhouse Disney Live (not a smoking area). When DW politely informed the woman that it wasn't a smoking area, her only reaction was to tell DW to move. DW then had a CM explain the policy to the smoker who subsequently cursed at my wife in front of our children.

When this was related to me, I went to guest relations to tell them I'd like to see a total smoking ban at the parks. I have know idea if they care about such requests, or keep track of them, but I wanted to let someone know. The CM said that the best way to get the message across was to email my request to [email protected]. I have done so.

The problem is not that smoking is allowed at the parks, the problem is that way too many people ignore the rules and smoke wherever they want. I am proceeding under the assumption that a total smoking ban would be easier to enforce than the current partial-ban. I may be right, I may be wrong. At any rate, I know this issue has come up on the boards here before, and I just wanted to pass the email address along so others would have the opportunity to join, or oppose, my request.

scoot241
02-26-2008, 07:39 PM
Wow, that person acted horribly and should be ashamed of herself.

Here's the problem I see with a park-wide smoking ban, even though I support the idea. If there are no smoking areas inside the park, this will cause increased traffic in and out of the turnstiles. Even though you're free to go in and out as you wish (with hand stamp and ticket, of course), the number of people exiting and reentering the park will have an impact on the time it takes to get into the park. You'll also probably see even more people smoking around the park because there's no designated area, and they don't want to be bothered with leaving and getting back into the park.

Speedy1998
02-26-2008, 07:45 PM
I think the simple answer for Disney would be to threaten guest who smoke outside of designated smoking area with ejection from the parks. This is the policy that sport stadiums in TX use, and it seems to have worked real well.

#1donaldfan
02-26-2008, 08:27 PM
Even with your disclaimer you may still get some heat......I am not a smoker, anymore (Jan 1, 08!!) anyway....I have smoked at Disney in the past and I did use the designated areas. I know some people just don't care about the rules or designated areas, they just do what they want and no one is going to stop 'em......but.......if the parks would truly enforce the designated areas and really hold those who disregard the rules accountable, there would be no more need for these discussions. Why don't they.....???? Is it that the instances are so few that it doesn't matter?? I know there are rooms that people smoke in, and you know they must smell.....why can't mousekeeping report them?? It's not really the fault of the very, hateful woman who told your wife to move, it's Disney management not acting on their own policy. I'm sure the policy was implemented as a CYA thing, but come on, if there are rules then there should be consequences, right?? I sure hate to hear that, that person was so hateful and rude to your wife. I'm afraid if I'd heard it, there would have been more than words the kids would have heard or should I say seen.....definatley not appropriate for the happiest place on earth, huh????

bouncer
02-26-2008, 08:30 PM
I think the simple answer for Disney would be to threaten guest who smoke outside of designated smoking area with ejection from the parks. This is the policy that sport stadiums in TX use, and it seems to have worked real well.

:exactly: I agree. Make someone pay a penalty for NOT following the rules. Stop penalizing the honest individual who DOES choose to follow the rules. Our society has gone to the extreme regarding make a new rules/laws. Just enforce the current rules and you shouldn't have a problem. If that nasty individual would have lost all rights to the park ticket that day or had to pay a fine I'll be she'd think twice about smoking in a prohibited area. Even though I'm not a smoker, IMHO I don't feel that it would be fair to completely ban smoking park-wide.

ncscgirl2005
02-26-2008, 08:54 PM
Even with your disclaimer you may still get some heat......I am not a smoker, anymore (Jan 1, 08!!) anyway....

:thumbsup: Congrats to you!!!!!

BelleLovesTheBeast
02-26-2008, 09:01 PM
Disney just needs to enforce their rules.

The lady should have been removed from the park for inappropriate behavior. There is no reason for people to behave badly.

HairyBear
02-26-2008, 11:02 PM
You guys got it right. If they enforced the rules there wouldn't be so many people pushing the envelope. Line cutting is also a reason for removal from park also isn't it? I don't think I have ever seen anyone smoking at WDW parks. Overall the cast does a great job of hearding the sheep.

wdwnomad
02-26-2008, 11:12 PM
Maybe it is just me but I have really never seen this a problem. I don't think I have ever seen someone smoking in the parks out of the designated areas. Maybe I am not paying attention and never see it or it really never happens much....who knows...

I also don't think it is up to guests to enforce Disney's rules. Unless you are in immediate danger, it should be reported to a cast member and they can deal with it.

monkeycity
02-26-2008, 11:43 PM
I also don't think it is up to guests to enforce Disney's rules. Unless you are in immediate danger, it should be reported to a cast member and they can deal with it.

:ditto:

I agree. Too many people are quick to "take the law into their own hands." Even though it was very rude and socially unacceptable to smoke in a non-designated area, the better thing to do would have been to report it and let a CM take care of it. Some people might have gone further than just saying four-letter-words. Believe me, I wish the world were totally smoke-free! My DS and I are both VERY allergic to smoke; I have to take medication immediately after inhaling any. I try to avoid people when smoking just to stay off the meds. But, most times, they can be avoided.

jszczur5
02-27-2008, 12:19 AM
My two cents - I hate smoking. I hate everything about it. That being said, smokers have rights too - so long as their right to smoke does not infringe on my right not to inhale their cancer-causing second-hand smoke. The smoking area policy simply needs to be strictly enforced. I find that, for the most part however, CM's are reluctant to confront guests to enforce the rules - be it smoking areas, fastpass return times, or inconsiderate guests who throw their trash on the ground instead of walking 8 feet to a trash can.
As an aside, I think the placement of smoking areas in the resorts needs to be reconsidered. When I traveled from my room in the 50's section of POP to the food court, I had to walk directly through two separate smoking areas. I would just hold my breath and walk quickly.
Smoking is still a legal activity, and some accomodation for smokers needs to be made - and then stringently enforced. Smokers are slowly coming to realize that smoking in public areas is a privilege, and are becoming more and more considerate so as to avoid further restrictions being placed upon them.

AHOTE
02-27-2008, 12:25 AM
I'm not going to add to what has already been said regarding the behaviors of those involved in the original incident. I do however agree with what has been said within this group. I am a reformed smoker going on two years now.:thumbsup: The biggest problem I had as a smoker at WDW was trying to locate an area in which to smoke. Designated smoking areas are not as well marked as they could be or easy to differentiate from other areas. It has gotten a bit easier now that park guide maps show the locations of smoking areas. It would make more sense to display larger signage for those areas and to color coordinate those signs with waste, ash containers and benches of the same color. Smokers may be more inclined to follow the rules if the rules are made easier to follow which in turn makes it easier on those of us who choose not to smoke or breath in the second hand smoke.:ack:

mrsgaribaldi
02-27-2008, 02:09 AM
I'm all for ejecting those smoking out of the smoking areas. I'm not so big for an all out smoking ban. As an exsmoker, 10 years last Nov, I still feel for smokers. I know what's like to need one.:blush:

#1donaldfan-good luck :pixie::pixie::pixie:

vamaggie
02-27-2008, 06:14 AM
My two cents - I hate smoking. I hate everything about it. That being said, smokers have rights too - so long as their right to smoke does not infringe on my right not to inhale their cancer-causing second-hand smoke. The smoking area policy simply needs to be strictly enforced. I find that, for the most part however, CM's are reluctant to confront guests to enforce the rules - be it smoking areas, fastpass return times, or inconsiderate guests who throw their trash on the ground instead of walking 8 feet to a trash can.

I agree that smokers should smoke in designated areas and totally agree that Disney should enforce this rule. The difference between inhaling second hand smoke and and having to look at trash on the floor, or having a longer fastpass line (or my favorite--people refilling non-refillable mugs) is that the smokers are impacting other people's health, well being and life. Still, smokers bring a lot of money into WDW and we all know what drives all business decisions. My guess though is it would take a law suit (Class action even) for Disney to really enforce the no-smoking except in designated areas policy. Until they see the bottom line shifting, I don't expect Disney to have any incentive to do anything differently.

Von-Drake
02-27-2008, 07:38 AM
I have often seen smokers taking liberties outside of designated smoking areas. I have commented to the person and most of the time I am just ignored. If a CM is around I mention it to them, but have never seen them confront the individual. I agree with no need for new rules, but enforcement of current rules would be great, be it smoking, late Fast Pass returns, etc... Ejection from the park seems extreme, but there really is no other recourse. I have seen that done also at sporting events here in my area.

gremlin
02-27-2008, 08:02 AM
The biggest problem I had as a smoker at WDW was trying to locate an area in which to smoke. Designated smoking areas are not as well marked as they could be or easy to differentiate from other areas. It has gotten a bit easier now that park guide maps show the locations of smoking areas. It would make more sense to display larger signage for those areas and to color coordinate those signs with waste, ash containers and benches of the same color. Smokers may be more inclined to follow the rules if the rules are made easier to follow which in turn makes it easier on those of us who choose not to smoke or breath in the second hand smoke.:ack:

I do agree it would be easier to locate a smoking area if they would mark them in a special way, but really, the issue is laziness. A smoker could use the argument that they couldn't find the designated area. However, would that person urinate in the corner of a restaurant if they were unable to locate the bathroom? I doubt it. As a smoker, I think it is important to educate yourself with where smoking areas are just as you would locate bathrooms. If you can't find one, take the map to a CM and ask them to point you in the right direction as you would ask for a bathroom. It's easy and I have even taught my husband how to ask for those smoking areas.

Von-Drake
02-27-2008, 08:18 AM
:haha:

However, would that person urinate in the corner of a restaurant if they were unable to locate the bathroom?
:goof:

definitely made me laugh, but good point.

Ian
02-27-2008, 08:50 AM
Personally, I'd be fine with them banning smoking across the entire resort.

Cities are doing it, why not Disney World? I think more people would expect a healthy, smoke-free environment in Disney than they would in New York City.

mgmnut
02-27-2008, 09:00 AM
Always a touchy subject. I quit smoking about 5 months ago after 26 years, I know what it means to "really need" a cigarette. I have never smoked outside the designated smoking areas at Disney or any other park for that matter, I always respected non-smokers rights. People that do smoke outside the smoking areas are not doing it because they "had" to have a cigarette, they are doing it because they are rude, self centered, and have no respect for other people. They don't feel they should be bothered to have to go to a designated area to do what they want to do. The worst is I have actually seen people smoking in line when they wrap around outside, usually some young little puke that thinks he is too cool for rules. The rules really need to be enforced and Disney has to take a no tollerace stand. Ejection from the park should not be unthinkable, ask the offending guest to put it out, 1 word of backtalk and see ya for the rest of the day, no refund.

mac badger
02-27-2008, 09:11 AM
just thought i'd share this
sunday night dh and i were leisurely strolling around tomorrowland at about 7:15, waiting for wishes to start. we came upon the waiting area to the right of space mountain(as you face it) this is not the smoking area, the smoking area is farther over, on the other side of the bathrooms. as we entered the area, someone whizzed by us so fast i couldnt even see if it was a man or woman. a few seconds later i smelled the smoke-and it wasnt tobacco. they were smoking a joint in the magic kingdom! unbelievable. i couldnt even find a cast member to tell, plus i hadnt been able to see who it was. i guess my point is there are always a few who will break the rules-i'm all for stiffer penalties for them

McGoofy
02-27-2008, 10:10 AM
Maybe it is just me but I have really never seen this a problem. I don't think I have ever seen someone smoking in the parks out of the designated areas. .

I am very aware of it because it is a health issue for me, and I notice it on every trip. We've started to talk a little louder when we walk by people who are smoking in non-designated areas. We'll say really comments such as "Did the Mouse give you special permission to smoke in the non-smoking area?" or just go with the "This is a non-smoking area!!!"

Believe me, I wish the world were totally smoke-free! My DS and I are both VERY allergic to smoke; I have to take medication immediately after inhaling any.

This is me too. I wish that smokers understood what sort of health issues they impose on some people. I'll gladly stay out of their area, but they need to respect my clean air and stay out of mine.

As for the OP's original thoughts...as much as I hate smoking, I don't think a resort wide ban is the way to go. My reasoning is this: Nobody will want to take the time to go off property to smoke. I think it would actually create more smoking in the non-smoking areas. The way it is right now many people do go to the smoking areas to smoke, and I thank them for that.

I was even a little disappointed that there are no longer smoking hotel rooms. Again, that is just because people break the rules and now they ruin the clean smoke-free room. If smoking rooms were available, they would most likely choose to stay there rather than smoking up a smoke free room. Because of the health issues for me, I even have problems if I am in a room that has been smoked in. That's how sensitive I am.

As stated previously, it all comes down to enforcement. My DH and I took a Carnival cruise a few years ago that had a smoke free ship. There were signs all over the place that said it was smoke free. We signed all sorts of paperwork that made it clear that it was smoke free. Therefore, if anyone was caught smoking, they knew they would have to fly home at their own expense as well as pay a fee to replace all curtains, mattress, bedding, etc... in the cabin. They were serious about enforcing the rules to maintain the smoke free atmosphere.

I have seen CM's ask people to put out their cigarettes. I have also seen guests get ugly about the CM's doing that. I hate that happened to your wife. When we went in February, we were sitting in the outdoor seating area at Rose and Crown. A guest lit up. My DH was very polite and asked him if he knew this was a non-smoking area and then told him how bad my allergies were. The man did put out the cigarette and then when he wanted to smoke again, he left and went somewhere else.

ncscgirl2005
02-27-2008, 10:14 AM
I am a reformed smoker going on two years now.:thumbsup:

As an exsmoker, 10 years last Nov, I still feel for smokers.

I quit smoking about 5 months ago after 26 years

Congrats to you all. I stopped almost 3 years ago.

I didn't really notice any issues with that while we were in the parks. However I do wish the smoking areas at POR (the mansions) were located in different areas.

Checkers
02-27-2008, 10:36 AM
My DH is asthmatic and my DD is very allergic to cigarette smoke so it is important that rules are enforced. We have noticed on our last few trips to WDW that there are fewer smokers smoking in the non-designated areas, however, we have encountered it on every trip.

Perhaps if the rules & penalties (removal from park) were written on the tickets (although I don't know where they would print it), it would help.:mickey:

GoinGoofyPlanninThisTrip
02-27-2008, 10:42 AM
Perhaps this is a challenge for Disney's promotion department...

Make a Disney hat that has a smokeless, vent-like brim (like the smokeless ashtray). I'm sure there could be some clever theming with them too.

Or sell Disney tattoos that are actually nicotine patches.

Either way problem solved and more $ for Disney.

Darin M
02-27-2008, 10:52 AM
My girlfriend and I have also encountered someone smoking marijuana at the theme park. It was two teenage boys, it the designated smoking section, across from Universe of Energy, at Epcot.
It was raining out, and my girlfriend and I, (At that time I was a smoker) wanted to smoke a cigarette. Yes, smoking in the rain is the dumbest thing you could do.
When we approached the designated area, the teens were smoking cigarettes, but around them, there was a pungent smell of "joint" in the air as if they had just finished when no one was around.
I couldn't believe it and i really wanted to say something to a cast member, but I never actually saw them smoking it. Just smelled it on and around them.

McGoofy
02-27-2008, 11:01 AM
My girlfriend and I have also encountered someone smoking marijuana at the theme park. It was two teenage boys, it the designated smoking section, across from Universe of Energy, at Epcot.
It was raining out, and my girlfriend and I, (At that time I was a smoker) wanted to smoke a cigarette. Yes, smoking in the rain is the dumbest thing you could do.
When we approached the designated area, the teens were smoking cigarettes, but around them, there was a pungent smell of "joint" in the air as if they had just finished when no one was around.
I couldn't believe it and i really wanted to say something to a cast member, but I never actually saw them smoking it. Just smelled it on and around them.

Well, I guess that takes the meaning of "Soarin'" to a whole 'nother level!!!:silly:

On a more serious note, I sure hope that would be grounds for immediate dismissal!! Do not pass go, do not collect $200, etc....:nono:

SurferStitch
02-27-2008, 11:02 AM
I'm terribly sensitive to smoke (I clog up something fierce and my eyes water like crazy). I have to say I've never noticed or encountered smokers outside the designated areas. It sounds like a hit or miss thing, and not necessarily an epidemic.

I would never walk up to someone, though, and complain to them about smoking in a non-designated area. That's not my place to do so, and as others have said, is kind of like taking the law into my own hands. I also wouldn't hunt down a CM to complain, but that's just me. I'm able to walk past that person in a couple seconds, forget about them and get on with my day. I guess it just doesn't concern me that much. Chances are I have already walked past a smoker and never even noticed since it was literally just a second or two, and I tend to be a little euphoric in WDW. :cloud9:

I would totally be against a total smoking ban. One, it's not fair to those who smoke and can't just give it up for a week, and two, it will just cause more smokers to try to sneak their fix anywhere and everywhere. Just enforce the rules, and all will be fine.

Also, we can't forget that many visitors are foreigners. In Europe and other countries, smoking is the norm, and more widely accepted (things may be changing, but smoking is still not really frowned upon). It's definitely possible that some of the rule breakers are truly unaware that they are doing just that. I know, since I don't smoke, that I don't look for the smoking areas on the maps. Never even crosses my mind....it might not cross theirs, either. I do think that better marked smoking areas would help. I'm sure Disney could make more noticeable smoking area signs that still blend in with the park atmosphere.

DNS
02-27-2008, 12:35 PM
I'm not a smoker, but would like to say I think this is one of those issues where people should be careful what you wish for. Completely banning smoking will only increase the number of people walking around with smokes. That's my opinion. If one or two members of a family smokes, they're not going to wait 10 to 14 hours and they're not going to keep running outside the park. This is my opinion, but I really believe this is what would happen. I very seldom see anyone smoking outside the areas and would much rather have someone occasionally smoking outside the designated areas than go back to smoking wherever.

Disney Doll
02-27-2008, 12:47 PM
I think there have been some really good suggestions so far and I applaud everyone for keeping it civil. I would love a smoke free Disney, but I'm not sure that's the best solution for everyone. I think the major problem is enforcement and I think it stems from the customer service orientation Disney has. They don't want to be hassling people for every little thing, but they must realize that smoking is a health issue and should be treated with more seriousness. I like a combo of what's already been suggested.
1. Easily recognizable smoking locations. I know the goal is to have them in hidden out of the way places, but if they are too hidden no one's going to use them.
2. Information on the smoking policy at the time of ticket purchase- i.e. must check this box agreeing to terms and conditions before you can proceed with the transaction. Such information would also outline the consequences and would explain the purpose of the policy- providing a healthy environment for all guests.
3. Print on the ticket that- smoking is allowed in designated areas only and the policy is strictly enforced. Failure to comply with the policy could result in your removal from the park.
4. Include signs at the turnstiles about the smoking policy.
5. Now that everyone is adequately informed and the smoking locations are easy to find- enforce the policy. If someone is caught lighting up security is called and they are escorted out of the park. Sure you may make a few people mad, but if you inundate them with information ahead of time they cannot say they didn't know.

I think it is a problem. I'm all for just walking away from an offending smoker, but with my luck I always seem to be stuck next to them when they decide to light up- watching a parade and walking in a mass of people after a parade were two that happened to me last year.:mad:

BelleLovesTheBeast
02-27-2008, 02:01 PM
Also, we can't forget that many visitors are foreigners. In Europe and other countries, smoking is the norm, and more widely accepted (things may be changing, but smoking is still not really frowned upon). It's definitely possible that some of the rule breakers are truly unaware that they are doing just that. I know, since I don't smoke, that I don't look for the smoking areas on the maps. Never even crosses my mind....it might not cross theirs, either.

Then politely letting them know that they are smoking in a non-smoking area shouldn't be a problem.

Maybe if every time someone saw someone smoking in a non-smoking area complained then Disney would do something about it.

Every trip I've been on I've seen this several times. It might just be that because of my severe allergies that I notice it.

Disney enforces rules like jumping lines....why not this one?

DisneyFanaticDargon
02-27-2008, 02:08 PM
Well, I guess that takes the meaning of "Soarin'" to a whole 'nother level!!!:silly:

On a more serious note, I sure hope that would be grounds for immediate dismissal!! Do not pass go, do not collect $200, etc....:nono:

More like immediate grounds for calling orange county to have them arrested. I had a guest ask me one time where a good place to "roll a toke" was and I jokingly said I had no idea then called security on him as soon as he was out of sight.

dumbo_buddy
02-27-2008, 03:22 PM
rule enforcement by disney would be the best. that goes not just for smoking but really for any of their rules such as cutting or no flash photography.

i'd rather be sitting next to a smoker on POTC than deal with a guy taking a million flash photos!

one time i did get nasty with someone taking flash photos. i shouldn't have. after feeling immature for opening my mouth, i'm pretty sure i wouldn't say anything to a smoker breaking the rules.

i'm not sure i'd tattle tale on them either. people are going to break the rules not matter what. the only thing you can hope for is more CMs confront the rulebreakers.

Gator
02-27-2008, 03:49 PM
There was someone smoking just outside A Bug's Land at California Adventure. I said, "Dude, this is a kids area." He looked at me and blew smoke. So I told my daughter not to watch as I pulled the ciggarette right out of his mouth, threw it down and stepped on it. Then I told a CM walking by that he had just littered a butt. We walked away as the CM began explaining the rules. I guess I get a little angry when you put my kids health at risk.

Gooftroop5
02-27-2008, 03:53 PM
I have to agree with those about banning it completely. It would only cause more people to break it.

One part of me (especially the allergic side- instant headaches, throat closing off etc.) wishes they would.

I just avoid areas that people smoke in. If I see someone depending on the situation if I said something directly to them or to a CM first.

As to wether you said something to the Cm the lady probably still would've said something to you because she was obviously paying attention to know you said it and not someone else complained to the CM.

McGoofy
02-27-2008, 04:05 PM
More like immediate grounds for calling orange county to have them arrested. I had a guest ask me one time where a good place to "roll a toke" was and I jokingly said I had no idea then called security on him as soon as he was out of sight.

Oh yeah, I did mention the "Do not pass go, do not collect $200," but I forgot to say..."GO DIRECTLY TO JAIL!!!":mad:

There was someone smoking just outside A Bug's Land at California Adventure. I said, "Dude, this is a kids area." He looked at me and blew smoke. So I told my daughter not to watch as I pulled the ciggarette right out of his mouth, threw it down and stepped on it. Then I told a CM walking by that he had just littered a butt. We walked away as the CM began explaining the rules. I guess I get a little angry when you put my kids health at risk.

HOLY COW!!!!:jaw: I'm pretty sure that I would never be that bold, but good for you. I am just glad you didn't get punched in the face or something!

caryrae
02-27-2008, 04:07 PM
I agree if Disney would enforce there rules with some kinda consequence it may help. I mean what would Disney do if I went around with a spray can filled with all the same posion's that's in cigarettes and sprayed it every so often, I am sure I would be in big trouble.

A guy I work with has been smoking for a long time, I just don't undertand it, it makes his fingernails yellow, is face looks all leathery, his cloths smell, and he is always coughing. Not to mention he has to go outside to smoke, if it's raining or being from Minnesota, standing outside when it's 20 below zero. Plus the work time wasted cause he takes 5-10 minute smoke break each cigarette or 2 while I have to continue working cause I don't smoke. Is it really worth the problems? I am just trying to understand the appeal since no one in my family smokes or in my wifes family either. I am guessing most people start smoking because there parents did or peer pressure when they were younger.

Ian
02-27-2008, 04:23 PM
they were smoking a joint in the magic kingdom! unbelievable.One time John, Patricia, JPL, Janet, and I were riding Spaceship Earth and someone was smoking grass on the ride!!! That's just outrageous ... there's little kids in there!

Congrats to you all. I stopped almost 3 years ago.I agree. Congrats to all who've quit. I quit 7 years ago this July and it was the easiest and best thing I ever did. :thumbsup:

Also, we can't forget that many visitors are foreigners. In Europe and other countries, smoking is the norm, and more widely accepted (things may be changing, but smoking is still not really frowned upon).That, to me, is no excuse. It's incumbent upon international travelers to be aware of the customs of the country they're visiting. Whether or not public smoking is accepted overseas or not, it's generally not accepted here and foreign visitors need to respect that.

ibelieveindisneymagic
02-27-2008, 05:08 PM
This is a hard one. I would 100% love for the whole world to ban smoking, so we could just be done with it!

I have met some wonderful, considerate smokers, and some who just don't care at all about the issues they cause others (just like anywhere else in life).

But, realizing that smoking is an addiction, it isn't reasonable to ban all smoking at WDW...at least not right now. I don't think smoking areas are that hard to find...I've found a couple by "mistake", but I guess it all depends on how hard someone is looking.

I would be in support of removal from the park if you smoked where you shouldn't, and didn't move when asked.

My solution to the whole thing is to slowly make smoking illegal. This year you have to be 19 to legally buy cigarettes, next year it is 20, and then 21 and so on..

For all of the considerate smokers out there, thank you!

biodtl
02-27-2008, 09:40 PM
I try to be sympathetic to smokers, since I work in the field of cessation and I know what an addiction it is. So I don't mind the designated areas areas, if they are actually used. One of the things that bothers me (in addition to the respiratory issues) is that when smokers are walking around in crowds with cigarettes, people can get burned.

I once watched a woman walk from the smoking section of a restaurant (non-WDW), through non to leave and almost burn my 2 year old and another family's newborn. Sadly, she heard me make a comment to my husband and started screaming at me - threatening to "kick my face in". I'd hate to see something like that happen in WDW, but if the CMs don't enforce the rules, it could.

KylesMom
02-27-2008, 09:47 PM
My two cents - I hate smoking. I hate everything about it. That being said, smokers have rights too - so long as their right to smoke does not infringe on my right not to inhale their cancer-causing second-hand smoke.

Smoking is still a legal activity, and some accomodation for smokers needs to be made - and then stringently enforced.

In Illinois, smokers have absolutely NO rights - you cannot smoke anywhere indoors except your home (oh yeah, and your car), and you cannot smoke within 15 feet of a public establishment entrance. Fines are hefty if caught - and they are enforcing it. I know we aren't the first state to do this, and so far I haven't seen a single soul violating the law in my area - even during our bowling league! I'll be curious to see if this good behavior continues as the law wears in a bit (it took effect January 1). I think that eventually, all states will end up adopting this policy. But until then, I will continue to bring the violators at Disney to the attention of CMs and hope that the CMs follow through with action.

ncscgirl2005
02-27-2008, 10:14 PM
I try to be sympathetic to smokers, since I work in the field of cessation and I know what an addiction it is. So I don't mind the designated areas areas, if they are actually used. One of the things that bothers me (in addition to the respiratory issues) is that when smokers are walking around in crowds with cigarettes, people can get burned.

:offtopic: (just a little bit)

I work in the field too. :mickey:

I know you said you are sympathetic to them but I wonder if you ever just get sick and tired of the same old tired excuses like I do? I dread Tuesdays and Wednesdays because those are the days the participants see the doctor and I hear the same excuses all the time. Our program is 100% voluntary (and 100% FREE) but man, some of these people make it seem like I forced them to sign up. Uhh...excuse me....you called us for help.

ncscgirl2005
02-27-2008, 10:19 PM
I agree. Congrats to all who've quit. I quit 7 years ago this July and it was the easiest and best thing I ever did. :thumbsup:

:thumbsup: Yep...you said it. That was the best thing I could have ever done too. I didn't realize how much time I wasted smoking. I would hate to think that I would be wasting time while at WDW smoking....:ack:

No thank you....I rather spend that time in line for EE or Space Mountain.

dizknee531
02-27-2008, 10:33 PM
:ack:if the smokers want to smoke, then smoke in designated areas. If there are too many complaints, I see banning smoking altogether in the future!!

BelleLovesTheBeast
02-28-2008, 12:33 AM
One of the things that bothers me (in addition to the respiratory issues) is that when smokers are walking around in crowds with cigarettes, people can get burned.

I've actually been burned a couple of times by smokers who aren't paying any attention to what they are doing. Thankfully only one of them left a scar.

houseofmouse103
02-28-2008, 01:09 PM
I must confess, I WAS a smoker and was busted by a cast member once outside of the Living Seas and felt completely embarrassed by the whole situation. So not to go thru that again, the next time, I asked a cast member where the closest smoking area was (around the Tea Cups) and was actually thanked by her for asking, instead of just smoking whereever. I quit when I finally came to the realization that by smoking I was limiting the amount of time I may have on earth to enjoy things like Disney World with my family. That's all it took. The extra $$ comes in handy too!

FenwayGirl
02-28-2008, 04:05 PM
I recently traveled with 2 smokers...must say that I now know where every Smoking section is....Proud to say that these 2 followed the rules and ONLY smoked in designated areas

Aurora's Spindle
02-28-2008, 04:25 PM
I am not a smoker, however I disagree with a total smoking ban at the WDW and DLR parks. As someone else said - a total ban will not decrease the instances of park-goers smoking outside of designated areas, but will rather increase them. Smokers in the World Showcase, for example, will not traipse through the whole of Epcot simply to have a cigarette; at best, they will find a secluded area to have a smoke instead.

Since the designated areas for smoking have been put into effect at WDW, I have come across very few smokers lighting up outside of said areas. I do congratulate you for bringing the issue to attention, but I believe that stronger enforcement on Disney's management is what will solve the problem and limit the amount of nasty instances that you and your family were unfortunately exposed to.

crazypoohbear
02-28-2008, 04:35 PM
I also quit smoking 19 years ago this month!

I don't think a total ban is neccessary but maybe if they made it more obvious where the smoking areas were on the maps and really designated the spots it might be helpful.

I have spoken up to people smoking and for the most part (except for last year at ASMu) they are fine with moving.
I do have an "innocent" question though....
;) How does everyone know what pot smells like????;)

ncscgirl2005
02-28-2008, 04:47 PM
I also quit smoking 19 years ago this month!

:thumbsup: CONGRATS to you as well.

:funny: Good question!!! :secret:

caryrae
02-28-2008, 04:55 PM
I don't think a total ban is neccessary but maybe if they made it more obvious where the smoking areas were on the maps and really designated the spots it might be helpful.

Maybe for the designated smoking areas Disney could make a big cigarette up in the air with fog that comes out the end to make it look like smoke. Then all ya gotta do is look for the fog/smoke. j/k

crazypoohbear
02-28-2008, 07:39 PM
Maybe for the designated smoking areas Disney could make a big cigarette up in the air with fog that comes out the end to make it look like smoke. Then all ya gotta do is look for the fog/smoke. j/k

That would be funny but it might encourage the kiddies to smoke.... maybe if they had to all sit in a giant ashtray???!!! :D

jszczur5
02-29-2008, 01:49 AM

When I went to my first concert more than 20 years ago (with my now husband), I smelled a strangely familiar sweet smell, and expressed my surprise that so many people were smoking ginseng. My then-boyfriend said to me, "That's not ginseng - that's pot". I said, "Don't be ridiculous, I know what ginseng smells like, my parents smoke it all the time" (to try to help quit smoking). Believe it or not, I was 19 at the time - had even been to university. DUHHHHH.
Anyways, to answer your question - it smells like ginseng. LOL

dmosher
02-29-2008, 04:04 AM
Ok .. no worries I won't start any controversies this time about smoking in the parks. I think I have ranted enough about this (at least I didn't start this topic).
The way I see it there are only 2 actual possibilities here:

1) Disney actually enforces their rules. Yes it's hard, but sensitivity training and well taught cast members (or managers) should be ready and willing to make a "publicly acceptable" statement to non designated smoking area rule breakers. The punishment could run anywhere from asking them to leave and suspending their ticket for the day to alternating between It's a Small World and Stitch's Escape for the whole day. After that even I (a non smoker) would need a cigarette... and a few drinks.

But seriously...

The other and most realistic option:
2) Florida as a whole needs to implement a statewide ban on smoking the way a few states and individual cities/counties have.

If Disney were to put on a WDW wide SMoking ban, they would be seen as the evil anti American empire. Because in America we have the right to "do what we want", which apparently includes slowly killing those around you. Sorry... I digress.

If the State of Fl would implement this ban, then Disney would be off the hook as would all other theme parks, and attendance would not suffer. Sadly there is a rather large chuck of the so called "smoking dollar" going into WDW and if those people did not come to WDW out of inconvenience or just a general protest, our beloved WDW would greatly suffer. I know there will be those who disagree with me but believe me, I have seen the numbers, it's a fact.

So, yes write your letters, but not just to Disney, write to the State Comptroller or if you live in FL, write to your Congressman, write to anyone and everyone and tell them how you feel. Just because on occasion your vote may not be seen, doesn't mean you voice will not be heard.
Thanks...
:pipes:
D

JohnnyJayhawk
02-29-2008, 08:53 PM
2) Florida as a whole needs to implement a statewide ban on smoking the way a few states and individual cities/counties have.

Frankly, I think this is what the future holds for smoking. We're seeing more and more restrictions on the ability to smoke in public, both by governments and companies. Remember when you could smoke in McDonald's? Well you could back in the 90s, until the company instituted a nationwide ban (only in the corporation's restaurants, but the franchisees soon followed).

Disney has already banned it in all hotel rooms. I think it is only a matter of time.

In general, it is easier to fully enforce a rule rather than partially enforce it. That is the reason I'm in favor of the total ban. I don't think it would result more people violating the rule. Again, maybe I'm right, maybe I'm wrong.

tjstrike
03-01-2008, 04:46 AM
My wife and I are both smokers and it <angers> me off when I see smokers smoking outside the designated smoking areas because then it makes all the non-smokers madd at all of us smokers when 99&#37; of us (smokers) follow the rules.

BluewaterBrad
03-01-2008, 08:52 AM
I do agree it would be easier to locate a smoking area if they would mark them in a special way, but really, the issue is laziness. A smoker could use the argument that they couldn't find the designated area. However, would that person urinate in the corner of a restaurant if they were unable to locate the bathroom? I doubt it. As a smoker, I think it is important to educate yourself with where smoking areas are just as you would locate bathrooms. If you can't find one, take the map to a CM and ask them to point you in the right direction as you would ask for a bathroom. It's easy and I have even taught my husband how to ask for those smoking areas.

Very Good Point.:mickey:

wjrhw
03-01-2008, 09:57 AM
Just a side note about the new 'smoking areas' at the resorts. Disney seems to be putting these in the worst locations. I read many complaints from various resorts and we were a the Animal Kingdom Lodge last month, where they placed the smoking area in the ONLY narrow pathway to the bus stop. That means everyone must walk through smoke to get to the buses. I quit over 3 years ago and smelling smoke now and again doesn't bother me, but for people with health problems this is an absolutely horrible place to put a smoking area.

caryrae
03-02-2008, 09:58 AM
I was just thinking how much money you could have for a Disney Vacation if you just saved the money from the cost of smoking. Since I don't smoke I have no idea what a pack cost so I will guess $4.50 (it was $3.54 when I worked at a gas station about 15 years ago) and if you smoke a pack a day you would have $4.50 x 365= $1642.50 towards your vacation.

dumbo ears
03-02-2008, 01:07 PM
I think you have mentioned a great thing. We need to ban smoking in all of the parks and maybe that will make it better for everyone. I think that what that woman did was just rude, inconsiterate, and ruthless thing to say and do. She was too lazy to walk to a preferred place to smoke.
I just hate people like that.

laward32
03-02-2008, 01:22 PM
Every trip I have been on I have seen smokers smoking outside of the designated areas and only one time did I see a CM come up and tell them that they couldn't smoke there and where the smoking areas where. My dad was a smoker until Feb 07 and two of my trips he was still smoking. He made a point to find the smoking areas before he lit up.
The problem now a days is that Disney is afraid to upset the "customer" because they want the repeat business. If they make us mad for what ever reason, not just the smoking thing, we won't come back. But I hate to break it to them, there are more of us that follow the rules and would be more apt to not come back due to the lack of enforcement of the rules.
OK, I am done. Just my opinion.:mickey:

LilHooligan74
03-02-2008, 02:11 PM
I am a smoker, but for the most part I agree with the anti-smoking views on here. Yes I have tried to quit unsuccesfully, Yes I am a big wimp. Probably would be easier if my lovely DW quit as well. Anyhow I dont have any issues with finding smoking areas in the parks or resorts. Last year it did not bother me at all having to go to certain areas. It is a choice to smoke, it is also a choice to stay at certain resorts. I want to stay at and visit WDW more than I want to smoke everywhere.

MNNHFLTX
03-03-2008, 08:55 AM
2) Florida as a whole needs to implement a statewide ban on smoking the way a few states and individual cities/counties have....

If the State of Fl would implement this ban, then Disney would be off the hook as would all other theme parks, and attendance would not suffer. Sadly there is a rather large chuck of the so called "smoking dollar" going into WDW and if those people did not come to WDW out of inconvenience or just a general protest, our beloved WDW would greatly suffer. I know there will be those who disagree with me but believe me, I have seen the numbers, it's a fact.

So, yes write your letters, but not just to Disney, write to the State Comptroller or if you live in FL, write to your Congressman, write to anyone and everyone and tell them how you feel. Just because on occasion your vote may not be seen, doesn't mean you voice will not be heard.Actually, Florida has had a state-wide ban on smoking for at least four years. It covers restaurants, the workplace and enclosed public places. It does allow for smoking in designated areas outdoors, providing they are a certain distance away from entryways and other areas where people pass through or congregate.

I would be interested to hear about other state-wide bans that are even more strict, and whether they cover venues such as theme parks. I agree that it would be tough to enforce such a ban at Disney World--it is so big that it would essentially eliminate all smokers from going there if there weren't anyplace on property for them to smoke.

ncscgirl2005
03-03-2008, 09:44 AM
I am a smoker, but for the most part I agree with the anti-smoking views on here. Yes I have tried to quit unsuccesfully, Yes I am a big wimp. Probably would be easier if my lovely DW quit as well.

I see you're in SC--so am I. What part? I work for a smoking cessation program that has had great results in the past 3 years that I've been here. It especially works well when both partners decide to stop because you can become a support system for each other. PM me if you would like more info.

DizNee143
03-03-2008, 11:56 AM
i think it would be stupid for disney to ban smoking..they would lose alot of business...if they are willing to do it i say go for it..but i think it would be very unfair..almost like a racist kinda thing if you think about it....i hope someone out there understands what im trying to say....
i think disney should do more advertising about it being smoke free mostly and have more signs as to where the smoking areas are! they dont exactly do a good job on this..so i can see why people dont know about the areas...
granted i use to be a smoker..and i would go to the areas..but i wouldnt of known.. if i wasnt an avid disney freak..and kept up on everything that happens..

crazeedizneefinatic
03-03-2008, 12:40 PM
I agree with Disney enforcing the rules. Looks like they need a lesson on that in a few area's. I luckily have not encountered anybody breaking the rules. My Mom is a smoker and has always used the designated spots, which most are out of the way, at least the ones she used. My husband has asthma and my son is allergic, so I know what it's like to stay away. Even sometimes my mothers clothes makes my husband wheeze. Banning it parkwide I think will never happen at least I hope not. Not that I am for smoking, but it is unfair to those who follow the rules. I know if they ever did ban smoking altogether I know quite a few people who would not go.

*tinker_belle*
03-03-2008, 04:51 PM
Would it be to much for Disney to just create a park for smokers. The park would have lots of trees to filter out the smoke and tons of benches and ashtrays to keep everything clean. And all the smokers would gather here to get their fill of nicotine without bothering any other guests. I can just hear it now on the busses "Next Stop Is Smokers Haven Park, All Smokers Exit Here" LOL "And as a courtesy to other guests we would appreciate if you could wait until the bus has departed the station before lighting up. Thank you."

JohnnyJayhawk
03-03-2008, 05:53 PM
i think it would be stupid for disney to ban smoking..they would lose alot of business...

I've got to disagree with this. Studies done in states and cities that have smoking bans in bars and restaurants conclude that the bans have little to no impact upon business.

PirateLover
03-03-2008, 06:04 PM
but i think it would be very unfair..almost like a racist kinda thing if you think about it....i hope someone out there understands what im trying to say....

Err I don't get it, sorry. Smokers are not a constitutionally protected group. Smoking is a recreational activity that turns into an addiction. Plenty of places are now smoke free without issue. Disney rooms are also smoke free now, so it's not that far fetched to think they could ban it from the parks. I don't see at all how it could be compared to racism.

caryrae
03-03-2008, 06:09 PM
I suppose as more and more states have bans it would be just a matter of time until the Parks do as well. Hard to say though since the smoking areas are outside and I think most state bans ban from smoking inside don't they or within so many feet of building entraces/exits?

Ian
03-03-2008, 07:17 PM
I would be interested to hear about other state-wide bans that are even more strict, and whether they cover venues such as theme parks.I'm not 100% sure, but I don't think you can smoke anywhere in Disneyland.

California has a statewide ban on smoking in public places. I think it even includes outdoor public areas. Like the only place you're allowed to smoke is in your car, at home, and in certain designated areas at your workplace.

I'm not 100% sure on that, though. There may be exceptions that I'm not aware of.

I've got to disagree with this. Studies done in states and cities that have smoking bans in bars and restaurants conclude that the bans have little to no impact upon business.Yeah, here in Philly that was the claim, too. That bars and restaurants would lose all this business if they banned smokers.

Truth is, virtually all of them have reported upswings in business as people with smoke allergies or just general aversions to being slowly poisoned while eating have come back to them and replaced the few smokers who are incapable of going even a few hours without smoking.

Ian
03-03-2008, 07:18 PM
Just checked and I'm wrong about DL:

Smokers Guide to the Disneyland Resort

California has tough smoking restrictions and Disneyland is even tougher. Smoking is prohibited even in outdoor areas except for designated smoking areas.
Designated smoking areas:

Disneyland:

New Orleans Square, outside Harbor Galley
Frontierland, near Big Thunder Mountain Railroad
Fantasyland, near Matterhorn Bobsleds
Main Entry Plaza outside both theme parksDisney's California Adventure:

Hollywood Pictures Backlot, near Muppet*Vision 3D
Golden State, near Soarin' Over California
Golden State, near Grizzly River Run
Paradise Pier, near Golden Zephyr
Paradise Pier, near Sun WheelDowntown Disney District:
Smoking is prohibited inside stores, dining areas and restrooms.

LilHooligan74
03-03-2008, 11:29 PM
I've got to disagree with this. Studies done in states and cities that have smoking bans in bars and restaurants conclude that the bans have little to no impact upon business.
In the study does it mention that every one of those bars or restaurants have ashtrays and or receptacles outside the establishment? At least every bar and restaurant I have seen in NY, CT, and MA are like that. The majority of smokers did not take their business elsewhere they just started to go outside and smoke at the front door.
I grew up close to New York City and I remember all the ruckus going on about the ban that happened there for restaurants not containing bars or pubs. They soon changed it to all bars and restaurants. Connecticut followed suit shortly after but made it a ban for bars and Restaurants right away. We visit Ct. four times a year, if we are at a restaurant and want to smoke we go outside. All these bans essentially did was move the smokers outside for smoke breaks, which achieved the goal of removing it from restaurants.:smokin: I truthfully hope the ban happens here in South Carolina as well, but then again this was big bacca country so who knows.
I smoke I have said it before, but I don't like people smoking when I am eating. I don't smoke in my house.
I agree with most posts on this thread. Many posters appear to be angered by a few that don't follow the rules. Enforcement is the key, not punishment. The rules would work if they could be enforced but how many more CM's would that take to be enforced 100&#37; and how much more would a park ticket be because of it? Which would affect the bottom line more? The hiring more CMs to enforce the rules or WDW going 100% smoke free?
WDW going completely smoke free is not going to stop it. I think there would be financial ramifications to WDW going completely smoke free. You can not compare restaurants being smoke free to WDW being smoke free. Logistically it is two different things. If it were to happen just like New York and Connecticut, where would the smoking area be? The park entrance, just like right outside the front door of bars and restaurants in New York and Connecticut. I am positive there soon would be people complaining about that as well.
A little off subject but along the same lines. How come when you go to gas stations do you see signs that state gas fumes contain carcinogens but the gas stations have removed the device that allows the nozzle to dispense fuel with out you standing over the nozzle inhaling the fumes.:scratch:
I just want to end with saying I love everyone on Intercot, just remember that when you read this.
Just raising some points not trying to argue.

Here we go again...
03-04-2008, 01:43 AM
Just checked and I'm wrong
Ahhhh.... Sorry Ian, I just had to see that in print one more time. ;)

Anyway, I would love to see a total ban in the parks but agree that you would have some people that light up anyway. But, those are probably the same people that are breaking the rules right now anyway.

I quit 13 years ago because I was pregnant with my 2nd child. I smoked while pregnant with my first DD who is now 27... she has had a smoker's cough since she was a child and it gets worse with age. The only smoking she ever did was because of me... 2nd hand.
Knowing what I did to her will bother me for the rest of my life.

For those of you that still smoke, check into Chantix... it is an amazing drug that helps you stop smoking... FAST. And, think of how much money you can save for that next Disney trip.

BelleLovesTheBeast
03-04-2008, 02:34 AM
Tennessee banned smoking in restaurants and clubs that serve anyone under 21 a few months ago....so far it hasn't impacted the businesses.

Dragongirlx
03-04-2008, 04:02 AM
They banned smoking in public places in Scotland a few years ago and its been the best thing ever. I love being able to go to a pub and not come out reeking of smoke, nor does my sister who has rapunzel hair have to worry about ciggarette burns in her hair.

As far as I am aware pubs and restaurants did not lose business over this, however you do tend to see crowds of smokers standing outside even on the coldest of nights.

For WDW I think theat the smoking areas should be kept but there needs to be more enforcement on people who break the rules. A warning and then exclusion from the park.

Unfortunatley there is a mentality among a lot of people that the rules don't apply to them only to other people. This needs to stop.

If a child breaks a rule then they are punished.
Adults need to realise that the same thing applies to them

Von-Drake
03-04-2008, 07:33 AM
While I agree the best solution is probably enforcement of current rules. I believe most smokers would be courteous enough to move to the proper locations. That being said, I doubt if Disney would lose any business if they did implement a smoking ban.

Ian
03-04-2008, 08:19 AM
Ahhhh.... Sorry Ian, I just had to see that in print one more time. ;)Ha! You need to stop by my house some time. You'll hear me proclaimed "wrong" multiple times per hour.

Sometimes by my wife ... sometimes by DD5 ... it happens very, very frequently. :D

LilHooligan74
03-04-2008, 09:04 AM
Ha! You need to stop by my house some time. You'll hear me proclaimed "wrong" multiple times per hour.

Sometimes by my wife ... sometimes by DD5 ... it happens very, very frequently. :D

Wow your girls and my girls must have read the same handbook.

PirateLover
03-04-2008, 12:23 PM
upswings[/I] in business as people with smoke allergies or just general aversions to being slowly poisoned while eating have come back to them and replaced the few smokers who are incapable of going even a few hours without smoking.

I've got to tell ya, being prime bar/clubbing age, this is absolutely true. Bars are still oh so very crowded. Even the local corner bars where people have been coming for decades. You wanna light up? Pop your head outside, not that hard. I don't care if smokers congregate by the door. It's so refreshing to not come home hacking your lungs up from other people's smoke.

As far as Disney, I do think they need to enforce smoking areas more strictly before they ban altogether, but I don't think a ban would have terrible consequences.

PoohsGang
03-04-2008, 12:46 PM
Disclaimer: I am in no way trying to start another smoking debate here on Intercot. I just want to pass on some info.

We were at the parks a few weeks ago when my wife encountered a person smoking outside Playhouse Disney Live (not a smoking area). When DW politely informed the woman that it wasn't a smoking area, her only reaction was to tell DW to move. DW then had a CM explain the policy to the smoker who subsequently cursed at my wife in front of our children.

When this was related to me, I went to guest relations to tell them I'd like to see a total smoking ban at the parks. I have know idea if they care about such requests, or keep track of them, but I wanted to let someone know. The CM said that the best way to get the message across was to email my request to [email protected]. I have done so.

The problem is not that smoking is allowed at the parks, the problem is that way too many people ignore the rules and smoke wherever they want. I am proceeding under the assumption that a total smoking ban would be easier to enforce than the current partial-ban. I may be right, I may be wrong. At any rate, I know this issue has come up on the boards here before, and I just wanted to pass the email address along so others would have the opportunity to join, or oppose, my request.

There was a day when things like this would surprise me, I find it quite typical with today, they seem to think the rules dont apply to them......

ncscgirl2005
03-04-2008, 02:00 PM
I've got to tell ya, being prime bar/clubbing age, this is absolutely true.

Ahhh...the good ole' days.

Rub it in why don't 'cha!

:funny: Just kidding.

pdrlkr
03-04-2008, 05:09 PM
The problem is not that smoking is allowed at the parks, the problem is that way too many people ignore the rules and smoke wherever they want.

I agree! Why can't they just smoke where it is allow? Why ruin it for everyone. Including the ones who follow the rules? If I wanted to smoke I would light one up myself. Of course in a designated smoking area.