PDA

View Full Version : does it really matter about the 7-11 month window?

kbvette
02-26-2008, 06:51 PM
We plan to vacation one week in january and one week in september or october every year. We really like beach club, but if we have to be put on a waitlist for it (even though it would be our home resort) that would make us regret buying into it as our home resort instead of another. Also, there may be times that we can only book 5 or 6 months out instead of 11 months. So, what would everyone do? We really like AKLV, and are considering it as well. Also, how is availability at other DVC's. I heard most people can book OKW and SS in shorter notice.

Maleficent's Dad
02-26-2008, 08:41 PM
To answer the question that you titled your post: YES! it really does matter about the 7-11 month window.

I recently made ressies for a studio in late April. OKW was NOT available. SSR was available as was VWL. Not sure why VWL was available, but that's what I took.

We plan to vacation one week in january and one week in september or october every year.
Both times that you're travelling are off-peak (so to speak). You'd have a better chance in trying to book the BCV during these times (as opposed to busier times) at the 7 month window, but still, that's no guarantee.

You ask about the BCV, and let me tell you, that is currently the premier DVC destination. As far as my experiences have gone, it's always the first to sell out. If you try to book the BCV at 5 months out, you'd be put into the same pool as all those (from other home resorts) trying to book as well. The only advantage to having BCV as your home resort is that you can book at 11 months.

We really like AKLV, and are considering it as well. Also, how is availability at other DVC's. I heard most people can book OKW and SS in shorter notice.

AKLV seem to have a ton of potential - but the jury is still out... I'm waiting for the construction to finish before we attempt to book there.

The word is definitely out that OKW is preferred over SSR - at least that's what we were told in December. SSR seems to consistently be the last to fill up; there are several reasons for this - (1) it's a huge resort with the most rooms, and (2) the location is not as desirable as some of the other resorts, and (3) it's not as established as some of the other resorts, making people unsure of booking their stay there.

Good luck with your decision! :mickey:

sillyolbear
02-27-2008, 01:18 PM
In short, yes it matters. Buy where you really want to stay as having the head start of booking 11 months out can make a big difference.

Johnno52
02-27-2008, 02:49 PM
We book our home resort exactly 11 months ahead, we pick the time we like to be there (our vacation flexibility is available anytime we want). At 7 months we then decide if we want to go to another DVC instead, if we can get it great! but if not we still have our Home DVC booked!

TinksDH
02-28-2008, 10:51 PM
We own at both SSR and VB but have stayed at every DVC property in the WDW area. In the 10+ times we have stayed in them, I think there is only 1 time that we didn't get our first choice. We are a family of 5, so we stay in 2 bedroom units. I honestly can't say that there isn't a property that we don't enjoy staying at. They all have their plusses and minuses. We just came back from a stay at AKV, and they were very nice. So for us, we really do not care if we get BCV, SSR, OKW, VWL, AKV, BWV, etc. I am actually very surprised about how adamant some folks are about having to stay in the property they own at. As long as we are on DVC property in the WDW area, we are fine.

However, we DO like to spend a week in the summer at Vero Beach in the Beach Cottages (only 6 in total) and the ONLY way to get them in summer is to call right when MS opens on the 11 month mark. Otherwise, you are sunk. We own there based on need - plus we got a great deal on points when we bought in '01!

DISNEYFIX
02-29-2008, 08:16 AM
Above all, buy where you want to stay.:)

MdmMim
03-06-2008, 02:59 PM
We plan to vacation one week in january and one week in september or october every year. We really like beach club, but if we have to be put on a waitlist for it (even though it would be our home resort) that would make us regret buying into it as our home resort instead of another

IMHO the 7-11 month window does matter, especially at the BCV/BWV from Oct-Dec.

goofy for pluto
03-25-2008, 11:43 PM
If you want to stay at BCV, and it is your home resort. and you know that you like to like to vacation in Aug, Sept, Oct, and Nov, should those months be the window of 8,9,10,and 11
months from your use year.So your ressie will be ahead of others with the seven month window?
I am still trying to understand how the system works.

Maleficent's Dad
03-26-2008, 09:21 AM
If you want to stay at BCV, and it is your home resort. and you know that you like to like to vacation in Aug, Sept, Oct, and Nov, should those months be the window of 8,9,10,and 11
months from your use year.So your ressie will be ahead of others with the seven month window?
In my experience, the BCV should always be booked early. They seem to be the first DVC accomodations to go. If it is your home resort and you wait until the 7 month window (or less), you will be competing with all DVC members for what (appears to be) the most popular DVC resort. With the 7 month window, you'd have more luck in August and September at the BCV, but not in October or November (due to the Food & Wine Festival at EPCOT).
So YES, book the BCV as early as you possibly can if it's your home resort, regardless of when you plan to travel.

I am still trying to understand how the system works.
When you buy into the DVC, you get a "Home Resort." The only advantage to a home resort is that you can book it at 11 months out. (There are also other details to be concerned about, such as maintenance fees at the resorts - which vary from place to place, but only marginally.)

At the 7 month window, any DVC member can book at any DVC resort, so the "pool of competitors" is opened up to everyone.

Example:
You want to stay at the BCV in December. If it is your home, you can book your accomodations in January. However, come May, everyone (DVC) can try to book at that resort. Anyone who has already booked (BCV "Home members") have already secured their rooms - once May comes along, everyone else is competing for what's left over.

The good news is that there are *usually* good accomodations for everyone else. It's just that some of the resorts - namely BCV, BWV, and VWL - will sell out before the 7 month window.

BethieTink
03-26-2008, 10:35 AM
The 11 month window definitely matters to us. We bought into BCV (through Disney) about 2 years ago, just for this reason. I wanted to make sure we could definitely say at the resort we most wanted to. I like the other resorts and I am trying out OKW in 46 days, but I always want to be able to get BCV, especially since we typically go in October. Nothing was sweeter than snacking around the world all day, heading back for a swim in Stormalong Bay (another selling point for the resort for us) and then heading back to snack some more at the F&WF. :cloud9: