PDA

View Full Version : Very Sick & Leaving for WDW in 3 days

ljv1975
02-26-2008, 04:38 PM
Hi everyone. We are scheduled to leave for vacation in 3 days and I am very sick. :ill:

DH had some kind of bad cold/flu last weekend and then on Sunday night I started to feel pretty bad. I called my primary care physician yesterday morning, but the receptionist wouldn't make me an appointment because I am 29 weeks pregnant. :mad: She said there isn't anything that they would give me - even an antibiotic, if I needed one. I thought this was insane, as I know perfectly well that antibiotics are perfectly safe in pregnancy.

Well anyway, I took regular tylenol and robitussin every 4 hours, but when I woke up this morning, I could barely move. I was burning up and felt so bad that I had to go to the emergency room. I'm glad that I did because I was dehydrated, had a fever of 103, and was diagnosed with viral bronchitis. Thankfully, I was prescribed an antibiotic.

I am just hoping that my DD2 doesn't come down with anything. She seems to be ok for now. We did purchase the travel insurance, but I would hate to cancel and reschedule our trip with only 3 days to go. we have all been looking forward to this trip for so long. :(

Well, sorry for the long rant :rant: but I had to get it out!! I'm hoping for a speedy recovery!

Tick-Tock
02-26-2008, 04:57 PM
Best wishes to you for a speedy recovery!

Aurora
02-26-2008, 05:34 PM
Don't worry -- drink lots of fluids and REST REST REST!! Put everything else on hold if you can.

I know it will be a bummer but if your DD gets it just try to plan around it. All my kids have gotten sick on one vacation or another and there's little you can do. Bring some baby Tylenol and if she does get it, make sure she gets enough rest and maybe have the grownups take turns taking care of her.

My then-5-year-old DD got the flu during a WDW extended family trip that we had saved for for 5 YEARS. We gave her Tylenol on a regular schedule and went back to the room as soon as she seemed the least bit droopy. We also rented a stroller for her and did all the "low key" things and still had a great time. You will too!!

Disneyatic
02-26-2008, 05:36 PM
Best wishes that your trip goes as planned and everyone feels good for it.
Maybe try to give your daughter children's Airborne? I think they make it in "pixie sticks" type of packaging for kids. This will help boost her immune system. I am not sure what the min. age is for it though.

DisneyDudet
02-26-2008, 06:09 PM
Do you have an OBGYN? Or do you use your PCP for your prenatal stuff? If you have an OB, I would be calling him/her ASAP! There should be something you can take! A receptionist should NOT diagnose or give you any medical advice at all, unless they are a licensed nurse or doctor. I would be calling them back or another Dr ASAP.

I hope that you can get rid of this quickly. Washing your hands, drinking fluids, and getting plenty of rest will help quite a bit.

Disinfect items that are normally touched, like doorknobs and remote controls to help keep the spread down.

If something does happen, bring some children's tylenol and other meds your DD can take just in case.

Pixie Dust for a super speedy recovery, and illness-free trip!

murphy1
02-26-2008, 06:36 PM
I agree, a receptionist is not the dr. When I was pg, I had such bad bronchitis, I was allowed to take meds with Codeine, my cough was that severe. I would call your OB, they will give something to you, some dr.s are just nervous if you are pg if they aren't an OB I think. I had the flu before we went to FL last week, just try to take it easy if you go, b/c I'm back and now have a cough, lost my voice and have not been feeling well again. I think I overdid a bit and we went to other places, but don't wear yourself out.

princessgirls
02-26-2008, 08:03 PM
Feel better!

Get plenty of rest, and drink lots of fluids.

I hope you are able to enjoy your trip.

Julie:mickey:

crazypoohbear
02-26-2008, 08:25 PM
Feel better and SPRAY the heck out of your house with Lysol!!!
You should be feeling much better in the next day or two with the antibiotic.
I hope you have a wonderful trip

pogo
02-26-2008, 09:57 PM
No advice..... just :pixie: for a speedy recovery. :D

mrsgaribaldi
02-27-2008, 02:41 AM
:pixie::pixie::pixie::pixie:for a speedy recovery and so DD stays well:mickey:

Tink2002
02-27-2008, 10:01 AM
I live in a small apartment with three roomates, and my boyfriend was sick a couple of weeks ago.

I of course had about three exams and papers looming in the distance and freaked the heck out because I could NOT afford to catch it.

So I sprayed everything (seriously, just about everything) with lysol on a regular basis and also kept wiping down the sink fictures, toilet flush, doorknobs, light switches, remotes, microwave, fridge, and other things that were touched directly.

You could also try drinking some tea with echinacea in it to help yourself get better fast and look into the airborne for your DD - some people think it's a bunch of hooey but I really truly think it's helped me out of colds and from getting sick before!

And rest up and say hi to Mickey for me:mickey:

DizNee143
02-27-2008, 10:27 AM
hope you are feeling better by the time you go!!
just continue taking the meds..and resting..and drinking lots of water...and like everyone else said...just be prepared that your daughter might get sick...or for now give her that airbourne stuff..they have in children form..
hope you have a great time on your trip! :mickey:

tinkerbell04
02-27-2008, 10:40 AM
I hope that you are feeling better soon! Best wishes for a speedy recovery. I agree with most of the people above...REST REST REST until you go! :mickey:

BrerGnat
02-27-2008, 01:48 PM
I would agree to call your doctor back and insist on being seen. Have the doctor write you a prescription for a cough medicine w/codeine, that you can take with you JUST IN CASE you need it. It would be awful to need that while you're at WDW and then try to jump all the hurdles that would be necessary.

I would probably just call the doctor (or OB) and request a call back. Even though you were diagnosed at the ER, your PCP needs to know about that, and see you anyway. Ignore the receptionist, and demand an appointment within 24 hours. Be persistent. Explain that you will be traveling in 3 days and you want the 'okay' from your doctor to proceed.

Tygger7
02-27-2008, 01:59 PM
I normally get sick a LOT, especially in the winter. As crazy as this sounds, I have not been sick once since I started drinking those "Danactive" yogurt thingys. I've been exposed to all sorts of colds & viruses this winter, and have been fine. Start drinking one every day, and have your little one drink one too. They taste good, and are totally safe....they really seem to help fight off ****.

Best wishes for a speedy recovery!!!

merlinmagic4
02-27-2008, 02:25 PM
You've already gotten good advice so here's some :pixie: to get you better quickly and keep it from passing to you DD!! Hope you have a great trip!

poohbearlover15
02-27-2008, 05:33 PM
I really do hope you get better soon because i know if i was going to disney world I would NOT want to be sick while there! Keep resting and try not to do anything very active!:mickey:

BelleLovesTheBeast
02-27-2008, 07:02 PM
Everyone here is right....the best thing to do is REST, drink plenty of water, drink tea, eat chicken soup and lysol everything.

Another suggestion would be to get some saline nasal spray. It has seemed to help me get over colds faster.

Feel better! And have a wonderful vacation.

Dakota Rose
02-27-2008, 08:32 PM
Like DisneyDudet said, call your OB. I've always been told that a fever over 102 while pregnant is a reason to call your OB for meds, etc.

Other than that I hope and pray for your immediate recovery!

Marilyn Michetti
02-27-2008, 08:41 PM
I just said a prayer for your recovery, and REALLY hope you get to go on vacation and feel GREAT !! NO to:ill:

BTW, I also HATE receptionist's that give out medical advice in place of the Dr. !!:mad:

ljv1975
02-27-2008, 08:41 PM
Thanks to everyone for the advice and well wishes. I called my OB yesterday - he said to take the antibiotics and extra strength tylenol. I happen to have an appointment with him on Friday anyway for a normal prenatal check-up.

I feel much better today. Not 100% yet, but way better than yesterday. I am doing everything I can to recover as fast as possible. So far DD seems to be feeling fine. :fingers: I think I am paranoid though because I keep asking her "Are you sick?" and she says "No, I'm not!"

It's so exciting to be leaving in 2 days, and I refuse to let this get me down! I just keep thinking "I feel good - I am getting better." I guess I'm giving the whole mind over matter thing a try!

crazypoohbear
02-28-2008, 09:43 PM
Hope you continue to improve and have a great trip.