PDA

View Full Version : Down Syndrome

Ropachs
02-26-2008, 01:59 PM
Hello,
We're planning a WDW trip next February with our daughter who will then be 27 months old, she has Down Syndrome. I don't know what questions I should be asking. I'm wondering if anyone out there has gone with a young child who has DS - anything we should know?
Thanks,
Lori

merlinmagic4
02-26-2008, 04:07 PM
Hello and :welcome: !! I don't have any specific advice for you but just wanted to say we're glad to have you here! As you read the boards, you'll likely come up with questions you need answered.

MsMin
02-26-2008, 09:48 PM
Welcome! and glad you are joining us and sharing your Disney planning :minnie:
Downs as you know is not like other developmental disorders that are distinguished by things like their sensory overload etc. Children with down's are characterized more by their physical and mental features which typically develop slower than the average child. There can be a lot of variability in development depending on whether the child is mild to severe and the temperament of the child will play an important role in your planning.
How does she do when you travel to the mall or the zoo? How does she do when she sees a character e.g. Santa, Chuck E. Cheese etc.
I would be glad to help but I would need to know what you think could be a problem? How does she do in the dark? Is she walking? Do you need a crib? Are you bringing a stroller? How is her appetite? etc.
:pixie: for your planning.

Ropachs
02-27-2008, 08:28 PM
For now, my biggest question/concern is about the stroller. Her therapists hope she'll start to walk by Fall. So I'm not sure how good she'll be on her feet in February. When we went with our son (3 at the time) we parked the stroller outside attractions with everyone else's. Do you happen to know if they would allow us to take her stroller into the actual lines? I'm pretty sure it would fit, but once we get on a ride I'm not sure where they could put it - or how we could easily retrieve it after.
Lori

merlinmagic4
02-27-2008, 08:34 PM
Lori,

I may be wrong, but I believe if the stroller is necessary for medical reasons, you would get a Guest Assistance Pass and be able to use the wheelchair/scooter entrance (which is sometimes the regular line) and they would have a process for getting it back to you easily.

I'm sure someone will come along who knows more.

MsMin
02-28-2008, 09:50 PM
I know sometimes with a toddler they may expect you to hold her in the line. Not all rides have the retrieval for strollers. I've carried my kids in line when they were 4 or under b/c it's easier than getting underfoot in some crowds. If they are cracking down on GAC's this may be what they suggest.
Do you have plans for entertainment for a stroller?
My son learned to walk the week we went to WDW and w/i a few days he was crawling again after riding in the stroller for so long but it wasn't long before he walked again.
Don't forget the baby station to help with any needs it's a great place. Sounds like you are a pro though if you have an older child. Just beware of her triggers. Some (many) children do better in the a.m. and their tolerance grows weaker as the day wears on so plan the tougher things in the early part of the day.

Tippy
03-04-2008, 11:12 PM
Hi - my oldest child has Down Syndrome. You should bring a stroller that folds up easily so you can get it on and off the bus quickly. Also make sure you get a Guest Assistance Card and a pass for the stroller. Then you can take the stroller right to the ride. My daughter was fine as the resort on our last visit. In fact she was on the one leading us to our room, food court and pool. Once we were at the park there is just so much stimulation and activity going on for her to process. She would not leave her stroller and felt comfortable in it. She was also hesitate to get on the rides so I picked her up and placed her in. Have the stroller was a definite plus on the trip. The Cast Members were wonderful.
We are going again in April and our DD is 7 years old. We will have her in a stroller just so she feels more comfortable. Childern with Down Syndrome have lower muscle tone so they can not do as much walking and have the energy of a typical child. They can also get rattled quickly with too much activity and then you end up carrying them.
One more pointer - try to reserve a meal at Chef Mickey or Crystal Place (or both). This way your child is in a comfortable setting and can enjoy meeting her favorite Mickey or Pooh. Waiting in lines around crowds is not a good situation with a child with Down Syndrome- they just need more time and do not understand when other children get pushy or if their turn is up. We had a wonderful time on our trip to Disney and our 2 DD had a blast.
Take care and have a good time. :mickey:

Hayden's Dad
03-05-2008, 07:31 AM
Hello and Welcome to Intercot.

I hopw you find as much love and support here as I have.

My son does not have Down Syndrome, but we do have to use his stroller as a wheelchair. I would suggest getting a note from your doctor stating that the stroller is a medical necessity and then they will give you a red tag to go on it along with a Guest Assistance Card that you show to the CMs at the begining of the rides. With the new restrictions I don't know if they will send you through the regular line or the fastpass line, some of the attractions like the Haunted Mansion have a seperate entrance for handicapped individuals. As you get closer go ahead and pull her out of the stroller and hold her a CM will take the stroller and place it at the end of the ride for you. The system they have in place is very good and we have not had any issues with it in the parks. Have a great trip and if you have any other questions feel free to ask. :mickey:

Ropachs
05-29-2008, 01:08 PM
Thanks for the information! We finally booked our trip this week. We're going to stay at the Polynesian mainly to be able to just walk right on the monorail to MK with the stroller. We are also going eariler than expected - October, so DD will only be barely 2 and definitely not walking well, if at all. I will certainly look into getting a note from the pediatrician - thanks Hayden's Dad.
Lori

tinkgirl07
06-01-2008, 03:53 PM
My sister has downs and has been to wdw once about 5 years ago when she was 3. She too stayed in her stroller for most of the time due to all of the stimulation around her. She was not a fan of the shows, she cried through pretty much every single one of them, it was also a chore getting her on the rides, although she loved them once she was on (dumbo, magic carpets and pooh).

We are actually headed down in September for the first time since then. I was debating whether or not she would be a candidate for the GAC, which with all of your help decided she was due to the fact that she still cannot walk for prolonged periods of time. We found that the CM's and characters were all willing to take special time with her and were quite encouraging when she was hesitant to go up to characters.

This september we are also going to be staying at a monorail resort for the same reason, since the park we will be spending most time in will be MK. I know you will have the most magical time and that disney will do everything they can to make it a magical trip for you and your family!