PDA

View Full Version : CNA's at WDW

MsMin
02-26-2008, 11:05 AM
My dad would love to go to WDW more than anything but my mom is still worn out from last time.
Has anyone ever hired outside nursing assistance or an aid when at WDW? We were thinking about taking my dad's aid but he doesn't need someone 24/7 only about 2 hrs a day to help w/ bathing etc.
Yesterday we found out he has Parkinson's and his pacemaker isn't doing it's job and he needs a newer stronger one. He has been longing to go back since our last trip which I really thought would be his last, in fact I cried when he got on HM b/c I really thought it would be his last ride there. Sadly he didn't get to ride PoC another of his favs. All he talks about is wanting to go back :( and my mom's exhaustion with the work of handling him is keeping him back (not stuff he would want a daughter to do).

Here we go again...
02-26-2008, 10:59 PM
Oh Beth, I am so sorry to hear about your dad. I knew he was not doing well, but I did not know he was diagnosed with Parkinson's. I guess we have a lot of catching up to do.

I know from the things you told me about the last trip that you might need someone more than you realize.
If you have your dad's nurse then she can stay with him and take him off to do the things he wants to do when he wants to do them... wander around Epcot, go eat somewhere or just go take a nap.
That way you and your mom would be able to have some mother daughter time without having to worry about him the whole time. It would allow your mom to relax a little and not worry about him the whole time.

If all else fails, I will go and help... ;)

MsMin
02-27-2008, 11:17 AM
Oh Angel I would take you:thumbsup: I was hoping that there was an agency around that someone may be familiar with. You know how I used to work the the program that had the "at risk" and disabled foster care kids. We did a lot of waiver and I had several CNAs on under my own supervision. We used to let ppl go on trips with families and they loved it but I can't get my mom to understand that then his nurse's dd is dying to go to WDW and my mom feels she would have to take the family:(
You know she's a worry wart.
Just trying to figure out the best way to do it right now. We had ppl on our staff that ppl could hire for private duty. It would be great if there were a similar program close to WDW so we could get someone to come in every day to help bathe and shave him.
I don't know why my mom is so reticent about this but maybe she thinks she would have to pay for everything and pay them the whole time:(.

DisneyDudet
02-27-2008, 11:57 AM
In my short business as an new nurse, I have found that once you find a good CNA, you need to keep them. There are so many out there that aren't good and can actually harm patients. I hate to be so pessimistic about people, but its true, and they are out there. Even if you find a company or agency out there that will help, you never know what you're getting into.

I know it would be rough to take DF's own aide, especially with her family and the price of everything, but you know her. You know the job she does.

After some research, I found some numbers and names for you. I don't know the reputation of these agencies, or of anyone that has used them, but it might be something to look into:

Arcadia Health Care -- 1 (386)-255-9494

Halifax Home Health -- 1 (386)-322-4700

American Home Companions has hourly services and they can be reached
toll free at 1 (800)-285-3836

VISITING NURSE ASSOCIATION
600 COURTLAND ST, ORLANDO, FL 32804
Phone: (407) 975-2288
------------------------------------------------------------------------
VISITING NURSE ASSOCIATION OF BREVARD COUNTY
102 W PINELOCH AVE STE 23, ORLANDO, FL 32806
Phone: (407) 636-3232

A contact for Parish Nursing:
Diocese of Orlando
421 E. Robinson
PO Box 1800
Orlando, FL 32802-1800
Phone: (407) 246-4800
Fax: (407) 246-4942

You can also look into nursing students to come and help:
University of Central Florida
Health and Public Affairs Phone : (407) 823-2406
Nursing Department Phone : (407) 823-2744

Why not pay for the flight and hotel for the aide, and then she can pick up for the rest? I mean, you are only going to need her for a few hours a day, so why not give her a pager or cell phone for when you need her, if she's not already with you. I mean, she can consider this a vacation as well, just with a few hours of work (and paid for flights/hotel).

I don't know if that is in your budget, but I would feel much better knowing the person that has been with my grandfather for a while it taking care of him, and not someone that was hired out and I don't know.

Or.... you can hire me!! Any excuse is a good excuse for a Disney trip! And I'd hang with all of you the whole time!

Marilyn Michetti
02-27-2008, 12:45 PM
I agree with the above post. Talk to you dad's Dr., and see if they can connect you to an agency in Fl. that would come to the resort for a few hours, help him bathe, and maybe sit with him while he naps.

DH was a home health nurse for years, and I know they get paid by the hour, as well as aids. Your mom wouldn't have to worry, and your dad would feel better when he's in the park.:)

MsMin
02-28-2008, 09:41 PM
I think I know what my mom is thinking that since we have the DVC she would have to have the CNA in the same room and she loves her privacy b/c she feels like she has to entertain. We love his nurse and she's like family ( her dd has one of our pups so you know they are special ;))but my mom didn't even feel comfortable taking my great aunt or having my kids in the room.
He wears those diabetic stockings on his legs and my mom can't change them, the stockings a bath and shaving is all he really needs. Those stockings are so so hard to get on and if he gets blisters from being on his feet too long they can pop and it really needs to be kept clean and he has a tendency to leave before my mom is up or if she's in the shower. He loves to just ride around on the scooter and think about where in the "world" he will eat next.
Am I naive or do you think things can happen with just a few simple needs?
Of course the last company I worked for was embezzling money from the MR citizens :( I've seen a lot from the MH viewpoint. My dad is a much better patient with a stranger than family too. He'll just tell my mom he doesn't need a shower and leave. That means the stockings didn't come off either.
Thanks for you help and answers.
Thanks Morgan for all that info. This really helps me encourage my mom to bring him back. Of course I have to go too :)