PDA

View Full Version : Russia being added to World Showcase?

MickeyChick
02-26-2008, 09:25 AM
Been poking around the web this morning and found an interesting blog that reports Disney is in the process of working out a deal to add Russia to the World Showcase!

Is this for real? I think that would be soooo awesome!

Von-Drake
02-26-2008, 09:39 AM
This would be pretty cool. I would love to see a Russian pavilion in World Showcase. It is a place I always wanted to visit to see the architecture. I hope to hear more on this.

JPL
02-26-2008, 09:43 AM
I take most blogs with a grain of salt since most of them are just people speculating about what is possible.

ibrowse17
02-26-2008, 10:10 AM
While I doubt it will happen any time soon, adding Russia to WS would be awsome. It would be interesting to learn more about their history and culture.

Buttercup
02-26-2008, 10:15 AM
There are always rumors floating around that more countries are being added.
I'm just wondering where they would even fit an extra country? Isn't the space around the lagoon all taken up now?

caryrae
02-26-2008, 10:36 AM
Russia would be cool but I would love to see Australia.

#1donaldfan
02-26-2008, 12:27 PM
That would be cool.....I'd like to see more around the showcase.......more is never enough!!!!:mickey:

MarkC
02-26-2008, 12:48 PM
If you ever look at a a map view (via Google, Mapquest or other sites) you can see that there is indeed room to add a couple of other countries in there. They would need to move a couple of service buildings or roads, but the possibilities do exist. You can also see how amazingly close E Buena Vista Drive is to the World Showcase. You can't see if driving by but on the overhead map it almost looks as if you could reach out and touch it. An interesting view to say the least. Back to the original topic, I would love to see a couple of new countries, especially they were from a different part of the world not currently represented, i.e. Russia or somewhere in South America. Mark

JohnnyJayhawk
02-26-2008, 12:54 PM
Does anyone else think that politics can have an influence over this type of decision? It seems to me that Disney might hesitate to chose the former Soviet republics given the rhetoric out of Moscow lately.

Personally, I'd rather see someplace with better cuisine. It's been a few years, but when I visited the USSR the food was terrible.

dumbo_buddy
02-26-2008, 01:26 PM
Does anyone else think that politics can have an influence over this type of decision? It seems to me that Disney might hesitate to chose the former Soviet republics given the rhetoric out of Moscow lately.

that's a good point. i wouldn't be surprised if they waited it out for a few more years to see what happens.

i think a south american country would be cool to add since there aren't any - brazil maybe?

BelleLovesTheBeast
02-26-2008, 02:11 PM
I would love to see Russia added. What beautiful architecture. In 96 it was planned to have Russia completed by 99.....so who knows if and when this will ever happen.

Gator
02-26-2008, 04:43 PM
I think Russia would be easy to create, but I Vlad the Exhaler is messing things up right now. Almost like another arms race is about to begin.

Anyway, I vote for Egypt. The pyramids and the sphinx would look cool sitting right next to Germany.

Walt Lucas
02-26-2008, 05:46 PM
Anyway, I vote for Egypt. The pyramids and the sphinx would look cool sitting right next to Germany.

I agree with you on that. Imagine a boat ride, Like Mexico, (use to be, NOT the new version) Floating down the Nile. Seeing the Egyption gods and rituals. That would be cool

bamagoofy
02-26-2008, 07:44 PM
I would think Russia would be easier than China was. I vote for a South American country or a real African country.

Speedy1998
02-26-2008, 07:56 PM
I would love to see some more countries, it has been a while since they added a new one.

I vote for Spain, India, Chile and Poland.

Scar
02-26-2008, 08:26 PM
.. or a real African country.Are you implying that Morocco is not a real African country? :confused:

AHOTE
02-27-2008, 01:25 AM
Anyway, I vote for Egypt. The pyramids and the sphinx would look cool sitting right next to Germany.[/QUOTE]

I can agree with Egypt but I'm not sure even Disney Imagineers could pull off something as monumental as pyramid & sphinx building.:) I'd lean more toward a recreation of the temples at Abu Simbel. Just imagine standing in front of four 67' tall statues of Ramesses II cut into a stone facade 119' long and 100' tall. A perfect size to fit into WS without being too overpowering. Perfect to hold a great museum relating the history of one of the worlds oldest cultures and a ride attraction of great merit. :coaster: Isn't it great to dream.;)

RAIDER
02-27-2008, 07:26 AM
Russia ...oh come on ...the queues would be awful ;):D:thedolls:

Darin M
02-27-2008, 11:24 AM
I always thought that they should take the American Adventure and put it at war with all the other pavillions. The winner of the war will declare the new country for World Showcase.

Just kidding.

Honestly though, why Russia? I've never had a desire to go here. One person said Egypt. Now that would be a great one. I also think Rome or Greece would be a beautiful addition to the World Showcase.

"The only way you'll ever see peace in Iraq, is if it was a part of Epcot's World Showcase."

-Just made that up

mcjaco
02-27-2008, 02:49 PM
I also think Rome or Greece would be a beautiful addition to the World Showcase.

Except Rome isn't a country.

jakeybake
02-27-2008, 04:33 PM
I vote for Greece. The cuisine alone is reason enough!!

Jay

Polynesian Dweller
02-27-2008, 04:44 PM
I vote for Greece. The cuisine alone is reason enough!!

Jay

I like that one. I'd eat at a good Greek restaurant every time.:thumbsup:

Hull-onian
02-27-2008, 06:43 PM
I think a new country would be great. It would be enjoyable.

Scar, Congrats on the Super Bowl!! I thought ELi was great and the team played an awesome game. You have every right to be proud of the GIANTS.

PROUD FAN OF THE NEW YORK GIANTS

SUPER BOWL XLII CHAMPIONS

WDWdriver
02-27-2008, 10:04 PM
Russia ...oh come on ...the queues would be awful...

:funny::rotfl:
Very funny, Raider. I wonder how many people get that.

JuicyMoose17
02-27-2008, 10:06 PM
That would make for some great scenery! But i don't know how interesting the food will be...

jclightchasr
02-29-2008, 01:50 PM
Except Rome isn't a country.
yes and since its in Italy and Italy is already in WS why be redundant?

Mousefever
03-01-2008, 01:00 PM
Russia ...oh come on ...the queues would be awful ;):D:thedolls:

Your post tickled my funny bone. Anyone who visited or lived in the Soviet Union can appreciate that! I went to the USSR in 1988 and stood in plenty of lines. I have to add that I would divert to the country on either side of a Russian pavilion if the toilet paper situation hasn't improved since I was there!

By the way, even as a 17 year old, I could appreciate the incredible beauty of the architecture.

Amy

:dory:

BluewaterBrad
03-01-2008, 01:04 PM
I think that would be cool. Where do you think they will put it?:mickey:

dumbo ears
03-01-2008, 01:06 PM
They have talked about putting that in since they opened up epcot. I think it would be cool and Ive always wanted to visit russia

Jared
03-01-2008, 01:13 PM
Jim Hill, unofficial Web sites and blogs have incorrectly reported future pavilions in World Showcase for years. There is no reason to think this is a legitimate plan. It doesn't make much sense to me, anyway. Why Russia? I can think of at least four or five nations that deserve or warrant space in Epcot. When will South American finally receive representation somewhere, either at Epcot or Animal Kingdom? I ask the same question for Australia.

Victor Kelly
03-01-2008, 02:58 PM
Something new is always good, Egypt, Russian, Greece.

As far as Africa goes, it is called Animal Kingdom.

big blue and hairy
03-01-2008, 03:28 PM
I vote for Spain. Absolutely beautiful country, fabulous food, great wine...what else do you want?

:sulley:

RescueRanger23
03-01-2008, 09:53 PM
I'd love to see anywhere added to the WS. Russia would be nice, but anywhere would be great. It's just nice to have something new every once in awhile.

Scrod
03-02-2008, 04:43 PM
I had no ideas until I read everybody else's.

Really, really want Greece now. You have great food, culture and a unique language. You could have characters from Hercules stationed there. I would welcome the chance to munch on a gyro while walking around WS.
A semi-dark ride like Norway could be a scary trip through the labyrinth to meet the minotaur.

See, now I'm all disappointed that this will never happen.

FlaTinkRAMESAM
03-02-2008, 06:33 PM
I vote for Antarctica... only because I like penguins.

villavic
02-26-2013, 02:17 PM
Jim Hill, unofficial Web sites and blogs have incorrectly reported future pavilions in World Showcase for years. There is no reason to think this is a legitimate plan.

I'm reviving this old thread cause accidentally I found out the Russia idea didn't come from blogs or unofficial sources.

The TV special Past Present and Futere (hosted by John Lithgow, 1994 I guess) mentions the Russia new pavilion with drawings of the Moscow cathedral. Also it shows a drawing of mount Fuji in the Japan pavilion, with something like a ride (probably replaced by the Everest project in AK?).

Anyway, it seems after all these years that no country will be added. :(

Butters
02-26-2013, 03:33 PM
I thought there was news articles published in Brazil that they agreed to move forward with a Brazilian pavilion

Buttercup
02-26-2013, 04:13 PM
I'm reviving this old thread cause accidentally I found out the Russia idea didn't come from blogs or unofficial sources.

The TV special Past Present and Futere (hosted by John Lithgow, 1994 I guess) mentions the Russia new pavilion with drawings of the Moscow cathedral. Also it shows a drawing of mount Fuji in the Japan pavilion, with something like a ride (probably replaced by the Everest project in AK?).

Anyway, it seems after all these years that no country will be added. :(
I saw that John Lithgow special on youtube recently as well. Someone had linked to it on Twitter I think? Anyway, you're right, Japan was also supposed to have a Mount Fuji.
Didn't someone say that there was actually space for 33 pavilions along the world showcase lagoon?

Ian
02-26-2013, 04:24 PM
I thought there was news articles published in Brazil that they agreed to move forward with a Brazilian pavilionThat report was out there, but much like many ideas in Walt Disney World it never came to fruition.

See also: Hyperion Wharf ;)

Melanie
02-26-2013, 04:28 PM
Didn't someone say that there was actually space for 33 pavilions along the world showcase lagoon?

33? :crowd:

Anthony007
02-26-2013, 05:19 PM
Russian food would be too close to German food, IMHO. As I am Ukrainian, we have always avoided the Germany restaurants because we can go to my grandmother's and get very similar cuisine.

Africa would be nice, but there is AKL. I vote for South America (Peru, Brazil, Argentina?)

Lately I've had a hinkering for Greek food, throw in some mythology and history and a Greece Pavillion would be awesome. Might be difficult to get Greece to invest right now though....

Buttercup
02-26-2013, 06:53 PM
33? :crowd:
That's what I thought too, Mel! But then everyone said that there is actually a lot of space between each current pavilion that could be used. I wish I could find the thread where people were referencing some information on it.....

Edit: Okay I just did some reading online. It was supposed to have 31 countries, not 33. Still, that's a lot!

villavic
02-26-2013, 11:16 PM
Edit: Okay I just did some reading online. It was supposed to have 31 countries, not 33. Still, that's a lot!

It doesn't make sense, does it? I mean, with 31 pavilions World Showcase should be a separate park, and impossible to visit in one day. Can you imagine the new Magic Your Way packages??

Crow
02-26-2013, 11:20 PM
they planned for a few other countries to be added when they first opened WS. There is space for them. I heard that a few diff ones were planned for the opening of Epcot. And there have been rumors for yrs of others.

villavic
02-26-2013, 11:46 PM
Maybe a bit out of topic, cause I'll mention resorts instead of pavilions, but I found interesting to mention an old book I had in my old boxes, just dusted off, it's called A Complete Edition about Walt Disney World, The Vacation Kingdom of the world.

It's a thin 20 pages book from 1969, with a message of Roy Disney. It just mention EPCOT with no detail, but what I found interesting (and about countries) is that the initial idea of resorts include 5: Polynesian, Contemporary, Persian, Asian and Venetian, with coloured pics of the models.

SandmanGStefani24
02-27-2013, 03:08 AM
shouldnt this be moved to news/rumors section. there is no proof and no official news.

unfortunately...

I say bring it on!

squad51
02-27-2013, 03:21 AM
Let us not forget they wanted to add Switzerland to World Showcase also. With it's own Matterhorn Bobsleds.

I want to say that video was from 1990ish. They show Port Orleans and Dixie Landings under construction. The Yacht was nearing completion and The Boardwalk was not going to be a hotel.

NJGIRL
02-27-2013, 06:34 AM
We took the segway tour in October and were told that no new countries are being added any time soon. In order to add a country they must put up most of the money and at that point nothing was in the works. The last country that was on board to be added backed out. It was Spain. Some how I don't see Russia putting up money in EPCOT.

Buttercup
02-27-2013, 07:25 AM
If you look at a map of world showcase or take a peek on google earth you'll see there is a ton of space between each country. I think we've grown accustomed to having a nice division and space between the countries, but maybe the original intent was to have one right after the other. Boom boom boom no space in between. My guess is that's why they approached so many countries to fill in world showcase.

Lindsey
02-27-2013, 12:38 PM
We took the segway tour in October and were told that no new countries are being added any time soon. In order to add a country they must put up most of the money and at that point nothing was in the works. The last country that was on board to be added backed out. It was Spain. Some how I don't see Russia putting up money in EPCOT.

Yep! There was even a temporary Spain pavilion for a little while, (it was sometime in the early to mid 2000's). I think they had it up during the Food and Wine Festival. I guess it didn't do too well. I was living in Orlando at the time, my husband worked for Disney, so I visited the parks often. I wasn't impressed with the Spain pavilion, maybe it would be different if it wasn't a temporary one though, (at TS restaurant really helps!).

darthmacho
02-27-2013, 04:26 PM
It doesn't make sense, does it? I mean, with 31 pavilions World Showcase should be a separate park, and impossible to visit in one day. Can you imagine the new Magic Your Way packages??

That's a good point. It took me two days to get through the 11 countries last summer, and I still feel like I didn't spend enough time in a few of them.

I'm still hoping for a Brazil Pavilion, because I'm really looking forward to getting a Bibbidi-Bobbidi-Bikini Wax. :secret:

NJGIRL
02-27-2013, 06:08 PM
Yep! There was even a temporary Spain pavilion for a little while, (it was sometime in the early to mid 2000's). I think they had it up during the Food and Wine Festival. I guess it didn't do too well. I was living in Orlando at the time, my husband worked for Disney, so I visited the parks often. I wasn't impressed with the Spain pavilion, maybe it would be different if it wasn't a temporary one though, (at TS restaurant really helps!).

The reason there isn't a pavilion for Spain isn't because the temp one didn't do well. According to our tour guide it was because Spain began to have civil unrest and they pulled out of the deal.