PDA

View Full Version : Due to abuse, GAC harder to get

Here we go again...
02-25-2008, 11:06 AM
Hey guys, Just an FYI....

As you know, I have severe arthritis, fybromyalgia, recent knee replacement and more. As a result I have had to use a wheelchair for the last year with every visit to Disney World. I am happy to say that this past trip I was able to walk for the entire trip (:yay:). This was a first for me in over a year.

Since I have a handicap license and a doctors not that I carry with me for every trip I was able to get a GAC.

I spoke with a CM while I was there and they said that due to the abuse they have been cutting back on the GACs and asking guests to use wheelchairs which will go through most of the lines at Disney World now.
It seems that anyone can get a doctors excuse for anything now and they are getting overwhelmed by the number of people requesting them. Going forward the GAC will not be as easy to get.

My friend has a daughter that just had surgery on a torn ACL. It was a major surgery and her knee swells and becomes very painful after walking and standing. The doctor sent a note along with surgery info and they were turned down for the GAC. They were told to get a wheelchair.

So, just a warning. Please do not go thinking the GAC is going to happen every trip.

The CM was very clear to me that they are trying to find ways to get away from the GAC because of the abuse. For those that are truely severly handicapped the pass will still be available, that is what it was intended for.

There are 2 levels of the GAC, one that lets you in the fast pass line and one that let you in the wheelchair line.
The wheelchair line means that if the ride is handicap accessible then you will go through the regular que. If the ride is not handicap accessible, then you will go through an alternate entrance. If there is a fast pass line you are required to get a fast pass for the ride.

Going forward they will issue the wheelchair line only cards to most guests asking for GACs. So, if you need a GAC, you may need to get a wheelchair...

Personaly, I do not like this because I am fine walking but have most of my pain standing and sittting. Yes, sitting causes me losts of pain. So, I hate, hate using a wheelchair. Not to mention that I am one of those people that get "the look" because I am only 45 and do not look like I need a chair.

Mickey'sGirl
02-25-2008, 12:13 PM
I'm not surprised at all Angel (and congrats on your footed visit! :walk: ). At the risk of a big flame from everyone reading this -- I really think that the criteria for obtaining a GAC has been far to open. I am convinced the intention for the card was to accomodate those with severe disabilities or impairments.

As you know, both of my boys are autistic, and I have Rheumatoid Arthritis. Any one of us would be able to secure a card for our family, but thankfully we have been able to successfully manage queues and waits using the typical strategies offered by Disney -- Those are EMH's and fastpasses. These strategies have worked for us during peak summer and Christmas crowds on numerous occasions. A GAC is a nice to have for many of us, but I think they should be available for those with more profound needs than mine. :mickey:

Marilyn Michetti
02-25-2008, 12:20 PM
The GAC isn't for most people with mobility problems. Anyone can rent a WC or ECV, and are treated however the line would normally handle WC's.

I believe the GAC is for people that are too ill to wait in lines or have problems with ADDH or Autism. (PLEASE forgive me if I'm wrong on this). I ride in my ECV, and don't need a GAC. If the line is designed for my scooter, that's how I go in.

Back in the 90's, everyone in a WC went to the front of the line, and it was abused beyond belief, so Disney is gradually re-designing the rides so that we're all treated fairly. I think it's good - still needs a little tweaking - but it's better.:thumbsup:

Jasper
02-25-2008, 12:51 PM
I'm not surprised at all Angel (and congrats on your footed visit! :walk: ). At the risk of a big flame from everyone reading this -- I really think that the criteria for obtaining a GAC has been far to
open. I am convinced the intention for the card was to accomodate those with severe disabilities or impairments.

As you know, both of my boys are autistic, and I have Rheumatoid Arthritis. Any one of us would be able to secure a card for our family, but thankfully we have been able to successfully manage queues and waits using the typical strategies offered by Disney -- Those are EMH's and fastpasses. These strategies have worked for us during peak summer and Christmas crowds on numerous occasions. A GAC is a nice to have for many of us, but I think they should be available for those with more profound needs than mine. :mickey:

I also agree that they have been too easy to get and were certainly being abused. As someone who just had back surgery number 7 in the last 15 years I know a little about the problems associated with standing in long lines and such but have always found other ways around the issue.

One of the things I have never understood is why Disney hasn't made more of its lines more wheelchair accessible. The vast majority of people in a wheel chair would have no problem waiting in the regular line if only they could.

Granted, this doesn't solve the problem of those who can't stand in one place for long periods of time. Of course, I have also wondered why they couldn't create some kind of bench seat that could attach to the metal rails of the cattle gates that we get herded through. That would be a big help not only to the handicapped but also to those who simply need a seat from time to time.

OK, I know, these ideas would take up too much space and create trip hazards or make it difficult to clean. But I say that these things are all just part of life and shouldn't be an excuse for not doing them! OK, I'll get off my soapbox now.

MsMin
02-25-2008, 02:05 PM
I'm not surprised at all Angel (and congrats on your footed visit! :walk: ). At the risk of a big flame from everyone reading this -- I really think that the criteria for obtaining a GAC has been far to open. I am convinced the intention for the card was to accomodate those with severe disabilities or impairments.

:clappy: I applaud you for your honesty and the awesome job you are doing for your kids because they are the ones who benefit when you do keep their experiences as every other kid there. I'm here for you with the extinguisher in case anyone dares try to :flame: you.
Any child with disabilities that affect their behavior will benefit in the long term by staying in line. What better motivation than a ride at Disney.
I know that it's difficult to handle a child with autism in a line and some children's disabilities are more severe than others but things that we struggle with now will pay off in the future. It's basic long term verses short term goals. It's in a child's best interest. Personally I know of several cases where the families do struggle and I understand their needs but fact is there is no better place to start than at WDW.
As far as ADHD they NEED to stay in line. It's more beneficial to teach a child to wait than to succumb to the ADHD. It defeats the whole purpose of behavior modification. All three of my kids are ADD and I would have never let them out of line.
Mobility issues are different. During our trip in Dec 06 with my dad we used the alternative entrance once during the entire trip. That was at the haunted mansion where he couldn't physically go through the line.
I also agree that there is abuse outside of disabilities. I've seen families with extremely large groups(groups that take up 1/2 the bus) of ppl insisting they need to stay together. I think it should be limited..the neighbors and Uncle Joe can go through the regular line. There are many rides where they can stick together.
Then the kids who hijack w/c's for fun. :mad: because of this I think the gac is important.

BigRedDad
02-25-2008, 02:27 PM
I am not too familiar with what the GAC is, but the US is far too lax on what a disability is. Don't get me wrong, I truly believe that people have legitimate needs for this. However, the majority of society is now "disabled". I can get a handicap card for having th Flu. The doctors won't even date the mirror card.

The way I see it, outside of the Make A Wish kids and Give the Kid's the World, everyone should have to wait their turn for an attraction. This does not necessarily mean they have to wait in the line. They should have to wait at another entrance (i.e. the wheelchair entrance). Someone in their party that can wait in the line queue goes there. When they get up to their turn, the rest of the party joins them at the front from the other entrance. However, if this means going to the front of the lines, then this is a disservice to everyone else.

Hayden's Dad
02-25-2008, 02:41 PM
I am glad they are starting to crack down on the GACs as well. Although I don't know exactly where we fall in that category, but we will take doctor's notes explaining Hayden's condition and if we are allowed to use one then fine if not that is fine too. Although we will still need one to state his stroller is a wheelchair. Thanks for the update they have never asked for a note before so we have never carried one now we will.

DawsonAR
02-25-2008, 02:50 PM
I agree they have been too lax and I'm not sure where we will fall. However with out the GAC we won't be able to enjoy Disney. It is a struggle even as it is. My daughter is in a wheelchair and is very low functioning. Standing in lines or if she is surrounded by people, she can't take the stimulation. She puts her head down, covers her ears and cries.

She loves Disney but we are careful to stay away from crowds in small spaces and we usually travel at off season times.

I don't mind waiting for a ride, but she would need somewhere else to wait other than the regular line. It would be miserable for her and everyone around.

Once at a Church function, her inability to tolerate the crowd led to a seizure. That is a risk that I'm not willing to take.

I'm sure Disney will work out the issues and all will be fine. Right now we will continue with our late April trip and see how it goes.

Mickey'sGirl
02-25-2008, 03:29 PM
I'm sure Disney will work out the issues and all will be fine. Right now we will continue with our late April trip and see how it goes.
:hug: I think your family is precisely who the GAC was designed for. Take your paperwork and get yourself a card!! I hope you have a truly magical holiday! :pixie:

BandMan
02-25-2008, 03:33 PM
Any child with disabilities that affect their behavior will benefit in the long term by staying in line. What better motivation than a ride at Disney.
I know that it's difficult to handle a child with autism in a line and some children's disabilities are more severe than others but things that we struggle with now will pay off in the future. It's basic long term verses short term goals. It's in a child's best interest. Personally I know of several cases where the families do struggle and I understand their needs but fact is there is no better place to start than at WDW.

It's not just that its difficult to handle my child when he has a meltdown. Its the fact that we put everyone around us through hell, we have to feel embarrassed that our child is causing a scene, and the fact that he may be done for the day. Now what do I do with my daughters? Do they have to sit in the hotel all day because I was trying to teach my son to be better at waiting? I'm sorry, but we only can afford to come to Disney about once every two years. Its our vacation, not a chance to do more therapy with my sons, no matter how motivating the ride might be.

I, too, am angry that people abuse the GAC. But for some of us, its the difference between enjoying our vacation and wishing we had just stayed home.

Von-Drake
02-25-2008, 03:49 PM
Well said Bandman. For anyone to make a blanket statement on the best way to raise a special needs child, might not fully appreciate how each child could be and probably is different. While activities at Disney can be strong motivation, it is there vacation as well. My son receives just shy of 40 hours a week of professional Therapy (this does not count the additional hours that my wife and I spend working with him), that would qualify him for a full time and he is only 4 years old. I am not saying that when on vacation all therapy gets thrown to the wind, but some leeway to help if they have issues dealing with crowds, or hearing multiple conversations at once, some in foreign languages, the closeness to so many different strangers all of which are circumstances encountered in lines for attractions. I suspect that there are many cases of abuse of the GAC, but I do know the difference between not using one and using one on our last trip was night and day concerning the number of meltdowns and stemming episodes my son had. The little guy struggles hard (and recently has achieved several important milestones) and vacations for him should not result in large numbers of unpleasantness, especially when he is trying to comprehend so many new and strange, yet delightful experiences he does not get everyday. I can handle the "looks" and comments from people fortunate enough to not have to deal with what he does, but there is no need to subject him to more angst.

Here we go again...
02-25-2008, 03:56 PM
I am not too familiar with what the GAC is, but the US is far too lax on what a disability is. Don't get me wrong, I truly believe that people have legitimate needs for this. However, the majority of society is now "disabled". I can get a handicap card for having th Flu. The doctors won't even date the mirror card.

The way I see it, outside of the Make A Wish kids and Give the Kid's the World, everyone should have to wait their turn for an attraction. This does not necessarily mean they have to wait in the line. They should have to wait at another entrance (i.e. the wheelchair entrance). Someone in their party that can wait in the line queue goes there. When they get up to their turn, the rest of the party joins them at the front from the other entrance. However, if this means going to the front of the lines, then this is a disservice to everyone else.
I agree with you... it would be great if we could have someone in the line and then join them at the front once our party reaches the front of the line. I have often said this about buses too because I always felt bad about going in front of people that have been standing forever while I have the opportunity to sit.
However that would cause the all time great "line cutting" debate.

I agree they have been too lax and I'm not sure where we will fall. However with out the GAC we won't be able to enjoy Disney. It is a struggle even as it is. My daughter is in a wheelchair and is very low functioning. Standing in lines or if she is surrounded by people, she can't take the stimulation. She puts her head down, covers her ears and cries.

She loves Disney but we are careful to stay away from crowds in small spaces and we usually travel at off season times.

I don't mind waiting for a ride, but she would need somewhere else to wait other than the regular line. It would be miserable for her and everyone around.

Once at a Church function, her inability to tolerate the crowd led to a seizure. That is a risk that I'm not willing to take.

Like Jenn said, the GAC is intended for people with this type of problem. They are trying to do away with the abuse.
Go on your trip, bring a doctor's note and have a wonderful time!

It's not just that its difficult to handle my child when he has a meltdown. Its the fact that we put everyone around us through hell, we have to feel embarrassed that our child is causing a scene, and the fact that he may be done for the day. Now what do I do with my daughters? Do they have to sit in the hotel all day because I was trying to teach my son to be better at waiting? I'm sorry, but we only can afford to come to Disney about once every two years. Its our vacation, not a chance to do more therapy with my sons, no matter how motivating the ride might be.

I, too, am angry that people abuse the GAC. But for some of us, its the difference between enjoying our vacation and wishing we had just stayed home.
Bandman,
Please do not take MsMin's post wrong. She deals with this all day every day as a therapist and sees and knows the abuse out there.
I know that Beth is in no way finger pointing at anyone.

It sounds like your child has a little more going on than your basic ADD or ADHD. The abuse comes in when people teach their children that there are ways to use their disability as a way to beat the system instead of letting them learn to deal with what life throws at them.
For someone that takes medicine for ADD or ADHD and can function fine at home or school then expect to go to the front of the line because they have this problem... well, that makes it hard to distinguish who really has a problem and who doesn't.

Go to Disney, ask for the GAC and have the trip of a lifetime!

Hayden's Dad
02-25-2008, 04:21 PM
It sounds to me like the new restrictions on the GAC are more for the mobility challanged and then for the more day to day issues you know a broken leg or temporary issues that require you to use a wheelchair, not the long term or life long afflictions. And it would seem that the issues presented above with children that have difficulty adjusting with crowds or strangers would be the ones the GAC would be intended for.
No one is a better judge of your childs abilities than you. What they can and can't do and what could potentialy ruin a magical vacation. We all will have to learn about the new restrictions together and be there for each other.
We don't know where we will fall with the new restrictions, but I intend to do everything possible to make sure we have the best trip ever.

MsMin
02-25-2008, 04:22 PM
I agree that it's difficult and that is putting it mildly and I've seen the children that even I would have trouble handling w/ all the training that I have. I agree that it can't be flat across the board b/c there is so so much variance among children. It's not black and white. That's why I make a disclaimer for some b/c not everyone is the same. I know that's hard to express on a board.
I agree too that you can't be doing "therapy" 24/7 and that your other children can suffer. That again is why I feel there are some exceptions BUT I don't feel that WDW is equipped with the time or staff to make that decision and this contributes to the abuse (not just referring to autism).
IF I can clarify.. I did not say flat across the board that all Autistic children can manage the line because I have seen cases that cannot. In fact I don't know the stats but there may be more who cannot than can tolerate the lines; but I encourage ppl to use the lines that are doable.
I will say that ALL ADHD children should handle the line and if they can't then they have something else going on.
I'm sorry if that offended you b/c I do agree that not all children are alike, not all families, autism or situations. What I should have said was that most can handle specific rides and incorporate f/p - yes there are methods to be utilized or plans to incorporate to help. I know several children who I would not attempt to put in a long heated crowded line. Yes it would not be fair to try it b/c you could end up ruining your whole day.
I used the word difficult b/c I didn't want to use another term that my seem to some as more offensive but I was trying to acknowledge the exception to the rule- I guess that wasn't clear enough. Sorry it's hard to avoid sounding like I'm over generalizing. I have promoted using the GAC for autism and I applaud those who don't need it; but that doesn't make one a better parent or have a better child. Situations are different and it's a gray area when we talk about autism - clearly some can tolerate lines better than others.
I've worked with cases where the situation is literally tearing the family apart, some have absolutely no structure and it's very sad. So I'm going to advocate for structure though I'm thankful it doesn't apply to everyone.
The important thing is that you know your child.

merlinmagic4
02-25-2008, 04:31 PM

I agree. We never used one again after our MAW trip and manage by doing only 5-6 hours in the parks. It's too bad people abuse it - makes me mad :mad: Now people who really need it won't be able to get it - that stinks.

BandMan
02-25-2008, 04:43 PM
I'm sorry if that offended you b/c I do agree that not all children are alike, not all families, autism or situations.

Hey, no worries MsMin, I wasn't offended. I was just pointing out that everyone's situation is different. Obviously, you agree.

I encourage ppl to use the lines that are doable.

I agree with that, too. We knew our sons limits and tried to judge from that. If the line was short enough to handle, we didn't use the GAC. One time, though, we misjudged the length of the line, and it wasn't pretty. :(

Finally, I understand about structure. We've been on ABA/Lovas with the boys since the oldest was 3. He's now 13. Yeah, I know all about therapy.

peter's #1 fan
02-25-2008, 06:50 PM
My son has an autistic spectrum disorder and we use the pass only when needed. Unfortunatly because of school we can only go to Disney during their busy time otherwise it's too much of an adjustment coming back. If we didn't have use of the pass we wouldn't be able to go on hardly any rides.

Speedy1998
02-25-2008, 07:58 PM
One of the things I have never understood is why Disney hasn't made more of its lines more wheelchair accessible. The vast majority of people in a wheel chair would have no problem waiting in the regular line if only they could.

You have to remember most of the Disney rides (particularly in MK and EPCOT) were designed 30 years ago. For the most part prior to the Americans with Disabilities Act most people just did not consider disabled people when designing or laying out things. The other thing is most of the newer rides have been thrill rides, which many people that require wheelchairs would not be able to ride anyway. The thing I noticed in my one experience with a WC at WDW (DW wife broke her foot the week before we went) was that the newer attractions, and parks were much better equiped to handle wheelchairs.

Hayden's Dad
02-26-2008, 10:31 AM
Hey guys what would you suggest needs to be in the letter from the doctor. I would think it would need to state more than what the childs illness was, but I don't think they need a full detail of the condition either. Hayden has about four doctors all the way from a specilist to his pediatrician and a whole Hospice team of nurses, social workers, and physical therapists so who would need to write the lettter? What have you had in the past? Sorry I am now just concerned about not getting the pass, and they help so much with our vacation. Thanks.

MsMin
02-26-2008, 10:49 AM
The doctor's office should know and be used to doing the paperwork. I would have the doc. state the condition and his limitations due to...
Like my dad I would say has had a stroke in the cerebellum which affects his balance and gait and can't stand for long periods. He is also chronically anemic and has Parkinson's.
They may not be familiar with the condition so do ask your doc to list his limitations.

BandMan
02-26-2008, 01:39 PM
When we went last time, our family physician wrote the letter. The thing is, he's a great doctor, but tends to babble a bit, and his letter got, well ... long. This time my wife asked if she could write the letter - on the idea of saving him time, but also being more concise - and he agreed to sign it (after reading it over, of course.) This way we can explain exactly why we would need the pass. (In our case, waiting causes DS to meltdown.)

I don't know if that would work for you, but it might be something to consider.

Dreamin_of_Disney247
02-27-2008, 11:18 AM
Okay I need an opinion on wether I should get the card or not. I have Systemic Lupus which is affecting my liver, kidneys and my Blood. I have Chronic Anemia, and Leukopenia which is Low White Cell count. I am taking 2 Chemo meds called Cytoxan and Plaquenil. These are pills so I don't have a port to show them. These pills make me so ill for the first few hours after I take them in the morning. I just hope that I wont be ruining my familys trip this year by going.

BandMan
02-27-2008, 01:59 PM
These pills make me so ill for the first few hours after I take them in the morning.

Does this mean you have a hard time waiting in lines? Perhaps a wheelchair would be a better solution. Or perhaps you could let your family do some rides early until you feel better. Also, not all rides have lines - you can take in some of the less-popular stuff early, and pull fast-passes later.

I don't know if this helps.

BelleLovesTheBeast
02-27-2008, 02:32 PM
I have a problem with them telling you to get a wheelchair. It would be different if they were free to guests who really need them for medical reasons but Disney charges a lot of money to use them. I understand people take advantage but it's not fair to make it difficult for people who really do need assistance.

Here we go again...
02-27-2008, 10:41 PM
Okay I need an opinion on wether I should get the card or not. I have Systemic Lupus which is affecting my liver, kidneys and my Blood. I have Chronic Anemia, and Leukopenia which is Low White Cell count. I am taking 2 Chemo meds called Cytoxan and Plaquenil. These are pills so I don't have a port to show them. These pills make me so ill for the first few hours after I take them in the morning. I just hope that I wont be ruining my familys trip this year by going.
Disney would never ask to see a port, that would be a complete violation of privacy.
Just bring a note from your doctor... you have a disease that should get you a GAC.

I have a problem with them telling you to get a wheelchair. It would be different if they were free to guests who really need them for medical reasons but Disney charges a lot of money to use them. I understand people take advantage but it's not fair to make it difficult for people who really do need assistance.
I agree... The chairs are expensive in the parks. The regular wheelchairs are not too bad, they are affordable. And, if it means the difference between a good trip and a bad trip, you almost have to factor the cost of a wheelchair in. If the resort has some they will allow you to borrow one.

But, for people like me, wheelchairs are not always the answer. The answer to mobility problems is not always to sit down. If I do not keep going it gets worse and worse. When I sit It is extremely painful, I stiffen up then I can not sleep at night.

I hate that I have already had to give up a lot of the rides I love... Space Mountain (can not get up and down in the cars), BTMRR and E:E (too much strain on my knees when I tense up going around corners and drops), Test Track is getting harder and harder to get in....
I am worried that one day I will only be able to ride It's a Small World... over and over and over again. :thedolls:

Mickey'sGirl
02-28-2008, 08:39 AM
I hate that I have already had to give up a lot of the rides I love... Space Mountain (can not get up and down in the cars), BTMRR and E:E (too much strain on my knees when I tense up going around corners and drops), Test Track is getting harder and harder to get in....
I am worried that one day I will only be able to ride It's a Small World... over and over and over again. :thedolls:
:funny: This year is the first year I have riddden Space Mountain for a long long time --- DS4 is now tall enough to ride, which means that all 4 of us can go on together, which means that DH and DS9 can together yank me out of the capsule. I agree with BTMRR -- It is an impossible ride for me too -- not only is there the RA -- but I am 6 ft tall to boot -- so my poor knees can't hack being rammed against the seat ahead, then banging off of it repeatedly anymore! You crack me up Angel. Save me a place on It's a Small World, will you? :thedolls:

I am not insensitive....I know that the cost of rentals can be expensive, but I honestly believe that is just the cost of having health issues. Poor eyesight requires glasses, poor hearing requires hearing aids, scrapes and cuts require bandages and ointments and mobility issues require mobility aids. I know....I've been pushing my Mom around in her chair since I was a child. It's just how it is.

All that said --- Isn't Disney the best place to be if you have to contend with a health issue? I have always found the CM's, hotels and anyone else I've encountered to be so helpful. :mickey:

BelleLovesTheBeast
02-28-2008, 12:41 PM
I am not insensitive....I know that the cost of rentals can be expensive, but I honestly believe that is just the cost of having health issues. Poor eyesight requires glasses, poor hearing requires hearing aids, scrapes and cuts require bandages and ointments and mobility issues require mobility aids. I know....I've been pushing my Mom around in her chair since I was a child. It's just how it is.

All that said --- Isn't Disney the best place to be if you have to contend with a health issue? I have always found the CM's, hotels and anyone else I've encountered to be so helpful. :mickey:

I don't think because you have a health issue you should be punished with more expenses. Last year my parents wanted to take a family trip to Disney hoping to make my sister feel a little better. She was doing dialysis and having a lot of problems. She wasn't able to do a lot of walking and couldn't handle standing in lines. We rented a wheelchair ($10 a day) and my father pushed her. By the end of the trip he was ready to go home. It was exhausting for him to push her around the park all day. Not an enjoyable vacation for him.

Whether it's the best place to be I guess depends on your health issue.

Mickey'sGirl
02-28-2008, 01:04 PM
I don't think because you have a health issue you should be punished with more expenses.
I absolutely agree -- but I think that when you have health issues, there are additional expenses intrinsically associated with them. I hope that your family is able to enjoy your next holiday more. :mickey:

BandMan
02-28-2008, 01:27 PM
I didn't realize that wheelchairs were so expensive - perhaps that is not the best option. I was just trying to think of a way for someone to be more comfortable while waiting in line. If a GAC is the best option, then by all means go for it.

MsMin
02-28-2008, 03:37 PM
I didn't realize that wheelchairs were so expensive - perhaps that is not the best option. I was just trying to think of a way for someone to be more comfortable while waiting in line.

I think they mean that some of the rides are designed for patrons to sit e.g. the rides are w/c accessible and they are not equipped for passes (GAC). The law(ADA) does require that a handicapped person must have the same experience. I know that a handicap ramp can not be placed at the back or side of a restaurant the patron must be brought in through the same passage as the other guests so they are given the same "experience". I wonder if some of Disney's rides are not grandfathered in and they are trying to change them to meet ADA requirements when possible.
I'm sure that there are people who don't want to "skip" the preshow b/c they are using the GAC or alternate entrance.
If you never got to see the preshow on several rides wouldn't you want to? I'm thinking about HM and how the alternate entrance skips the preshow before the ride :(
Personally there are rides I would get a f/p for or go during early hours to avoid the crowds.
I'm guessing that disney figures that if you are in need you will want the w/c or bring your own. It's meant to be a convenience and you know we have to pay for those :rolleyes: Unfortunately if they provided ECV's for everyone who needed the assistance there would be wide spread abuse there too:( and would be very costly. I'm pretty sure the cost would be tax deductible -- for us when you've invested so much into a vacation it's more cost efficient to rent the ECV than spend your time in pain or in the room.
Dreamin_of_Disney247 I don't know how you do it :( I would be dragging in the a.m. and just wanting to do things a little slower and maybe plan to stay up later. The excessive stimulation or heat can really be taxing.
We didn't get a card for my dad in 06 but they could see he was handicapped. He also took the ECV into many shows like Nemo and Philharmagic and the family was allowed to stay together. I say that if you think you may need it get the card and use it when necessary. For us he couldn't ride most of the rides with long lines anyway.
We have received w/c's free twice and a stretcher once:blush: in the park but it wasn't worth getting it. Once my mom got sick and the CM's got a chair and once my dd had a severe asthma attack and was in respiratory distress and couldn't talk much less walk and they got a w/c for her--basically they are for emergencies. But please don't wait until you are sick because that can take hours from your trip.
We try to make every effort to meet our own needs. My dad is a diabetic and should eat in a timely manner. We try to book our ADR's giving him time for delays and remind him to have some juice or a snack if we think it will be longer. We use locations that are convenient enough for him to return to the room for his injection because that's what he prefers. I'm sure the first aid center would provide all things necessary to meet his needs including refrigeration and needle disposal. We go out of our way a little but we can't complain -we're in WDW.

Marilyn Michetti
02-28-2008, 04:57 PM
I think there should be an area where the elderly, or very ill, (or ANYONE that can't be in a line), can wait. One member of the family can be with that person while the other members stand in the line. The entire party can be re-united at the entrance, (maybe with a "fastpass" type card).

I'm sure there are a dozen "holes" in my idea, but, ?????????:confused:

ElenitaB
02-28-2008, 08:37 PM
The chairs are expensive in the parks. The regular wheelchairs are not too bad, they are affordable. And, if it means the difference between a good trip and a bad trip, you almost have to factor the cost of a wheelchair in. If the resort has some they will allow you to borrow one.

. Save me a place on It's a Small World, will you? :thedolls:

Wheelchairs are only moderately expensive; scooters are very expensive (they can run you between up to $40 a day depending on where you rent them and for how long you'll have it). The day we went to MK all the scooters will already rented and I had no choice but to use a wheelchair (which I've never used outside of the hospital). My DS-12 had to push me which he thought was fun but for me, it was a very sad moment in my life. :(

This past trip I had to pass up Pirates (gasp) and even Small World because my right leg had swelled so severely and I couldn't bend it at all :( Anyone want to join us on Buzz and the TTA?

I think there should be an area where the elderly, or very ill, (or ANYONE that can't be in a line), can wait. One member of the family can be with that person while the other members stand in the line. The entire party can be re-united at the entrance, (maybe with a "fastpass" type card).

One hole would be small parties... I don't mind waiting for my turn but I wouldn't want my DS waiting in line along. (Our family is small and broken but still good. :stitch2:)

offwego
02-29-2008, 03:25 PM
. My DS-12 had to push me which he thought was fun but for me, it was a very sad moment in my life. :( (Our family is small and broken but still good. :stitch2:)

Now Ellen, these two statements are contridicting...Still Good is clearly the right part.

The wheelchairs can be difficult to navigate and do take some effort on the part of the rest of the group, but the option to rent them while traveling for many is a good thing (albiet costly) and when we have used one for my mom (Her scooter battery went kaput) it was nice to know that she wouldn't have to try to learn a new scooter for her & it was kinda funny to see my DH pushing his "monster in law" around for a change as he put it. (they both were having quite the giggle over it after we went to Le Cellier for dinner and some lovely wine).

I'd hate to seem the eliminate it if it didn't make $$ sense to have them..

MsMin
03-03-2008, 12:01 PM

I agree with you, sorta like a baby swap. I don't see why they just don't give a card similar to a "golden fast pass" for the sick and elderly and limit the # of rides per day based on the average # of rides (for ones that require special entry). This would limit abuse, they could use it for the rides they truly like and use other means in rides that are more doable.
Ellen, I think everyone who has pushed a w/c in the parks knows every incline there is.
I think the price of the ECV's discourages abuse too which is sad. Imagine the traffic jams if ppl just rented them for ease of transportation? So often the good suffer for the bad.

Marilyn Michetti
03-03-2008, 02:09 PM
Before I started bringing my own ECV on the plane, DH would push me around in a WC. He toned up some, and dropped a few pounds, but he would be looking at something and almost run over people.

Let you in on something. I just ordered a Pride Go-Go online, after trying one out at the scooter store. For the price of renting one of Disney's "trucks" for the week, you can bring your own, smaller ECV - much easier to handle on the bus's. Also, I can go to the mall alone because it's a breeze to dis-assemble. The whole thing weighs only 81 lbs. What I have now, is a Pride Victory - still smaller than Disney's, but this one will be even greater.

If you order online, there's no tax, and no shipping.

I know, this is a little :offtopic:, but I'm old, and have to act on a thought.:D

MsMin
03-04-2008, 11:37 AM
Marilyn is it balanced? The problem we had w/ the light scooters is my dad flipped it on tilted ground in AK. (not counting the one on the bus which wasn't his fault) Our car is usually so packed but we don't take his power chair b/c of the weight and size. This sounds like it could help a lot of ppl though. Thanks for the info.

Before I started bringing my own ECV on the plane, DH would push me around in a WC. He toned up some, and dropped a few pounds, but he would be looking at something and almost run over people.

Let you in on something. I just ordered a Pride Go-Go online, after trying one out at the scooter store. For the price of renting one of Disney's "trucks" for the week, you can bring your own, smaller ECV - much easier to handle on the bus's. Also, I can go to the mall alone because it's a breeze to dis-assemble. The whole thing weighs only 81 lbs. What I have now, is a Pride Victory - still smaller than Disney's, but this one will be even greater.

If you order online, there's no tax, and no shipping.

I know, this is a little :offtopic:, but I'm old, and have to act on a thought.:D

Marilyn Michetti
03-04-2008, 11:55 AM
Any of the three wheeled scooter can, and will tilt. I just have to be careful, turn the juice down a little, and shift my body. The dips in sidewalks can flip you, which is why so many HC folks ride their scooters in the street. (In Mesa, Az., that's about one in three).:shake:

crazykids
03-04-2008, 12:24 PM
We just came back from WDW this past weekend. I went alone w/ my two DD ages 2 & 3. Right before the trip, I tore a ligament in my knee & my dr gave me a shot & some meds so I didn't have to cancel my trip (obviously surgery to follow) & a dr note for a GAC. I went to get one at HS & it was no problem at all, I offered to give them the dr's note & I was told they didn't need it.

My DH & son went on a guy trip to WDW the week before & my son has PDD & ADHD (we always get a GAC for him). He had the dr.'s note & they eventually gave him one, but it was after two cast members & a manager came out to read the dr's note. DH said they were really questioning the autism. In the end, they got the GAC, but it would have really killed their trip if they didn't get one.

I guess it really depends on the cast member you encounter. If I were ever denied at one guest services & really depended on a GAC, I would just try at another park.

thejens
03-04-2008, 11:34 PM
Wow. My Mom has just been diagnosed with a lung disorder and is potentially looking at a lung transplant. I am still hoping she will be able to come with us to WDW this May (we are staying at Poly) and am trying to think of everything to do to make the trip go more smoothly for her. She is currently on oxygen 24/7 and can't walk very far. Should we apply for the GAC? She may not need it since we plan to rent a scooter from an outside co. so she'll have it at all times. She can sit and wait in line with us w/o a problem and can probably even stand in line if she is not climbing stairs or exerting herself. But a lot can change in a few months. Any suggestions would be appreciated. She has lots of capable family to dote on her, but want her not to feel like a burden, which she would never be.

Marilyn Michetti
03-05-2008, 03:49 AM
I've seen visitors with oxygen, but don't think anyone has asked about whether all rides will accomodate a tank.

Good question.:confused:

MsMin
03-05-2008, 11:07 AM
Wow. My Mom has just been diagnosed with a lung disorder and is potentially looking at a lung transplant. I am still hoping she will be able to come with us to WDW this May (we are staying at Poly) and am trying to think of everything to do to make the trip go more smoothly for her. She is currently on oxygen 24/7 and can't walk very far. Should we apply for the GAC? She may not need it since we plan to rent a scooter from an outside co. so she'll have it at all times. She can sit and wait in line with us w/o a problem and can probably even stand in line if she is not climbing stairs or exerting herself. But a lot can change in a few months. Any suggestions would be appreciated. She has lots of capable family to dote on her, but want her not to feel like a burden, which she would never be.
We didn't have a problem with my dad w/o the GAC b/c they see the scooter and obvious he needs assistance. I think the problem comes in more often with children b/c with some cases of autism the child can look more like a poorly disciplined child rather than a child with autism.
Many of these children can have a major melt down and the rest of your day is practically ruined. It's just not black and white b/c there are so many factors that go into this. The time of day, the crowds, external stimuli, experience and fatigue are major factors. With more experience you can learn these things but who wants to blow a day if you only have 4 or 5 days there? It's just not automatic for anyone dealing with a child with PPD or autism. Yes, it's possible with many children who are mildly affected and a few with children who are moderate but I doubt few if any can make it with severe autism. The problem is that it is a continuum and not 3 distinct levels so while one child at one level can manage (with a parent that his very in touch with their child's needs-- I'm not saying it doesn't take skill) another child at the same level can have difficulty with a parent that is equally as skilled. Remember too that children have different triggers.
As far as adults having a problem Disney may consider that if you are not sick enough for a w/c then you can handle the line. With the exception of course of some adults with CP or developmental issues.
Seriously though I don't think it's the kids with autism that is the problem.

thumperbug
03-08-2008, 07:17 PM
after reading these blogs I now know why the CM at MK was not so pleasant when I requested a GAC card for my son. I had contacted WDW prior to my trip to explain the situation with my 5 yr old. He had developed a skin condition that resulted in open raw sores on his feet and while he was able to get out of his stroller, walking for anything more then a short period of time was painful. All I wanted to be able to do was let the little guy stay in his stroller as long as possible before getting on a ride to help with the pain on his feet. There were many times he couldn't even put anything on his feet.
When I asked the cast member for the GAC she gave me an attitude, wanted details of what the situation was and then reluctantly gave me a card. I walked out of there feeling like a criminal. I only used the GAC twice as the card says you MUST use fast pass on attractions that offer it. So we did. One of the two times we used the card, the CM at the attraction were not that friendly despite the fact that not only did I have the card but I had to carry my son onto the ride. At the same attraction I also saw CM not allow guests who were on scooters into the HC entrance as they did not have a GAC and did not believe that they needed the scooters. I guess this all goes back to the wheelchair abuse (which I still see done)

Here we go again...
03-09-2008, 01:57 AM
Thumperbug, this is exactly why you were given a hard time.
It is a shame because, as you said, you just needed to be able to take the stroller as far as you could. It does not sould like you were trying to beat the system. It would be very hard to carry a 5 year old through a line.

Since they have had so many doctors that will write a note for anything, they are getting to where they are doubting many of the reasons.

I am glad to hear that you were able to get it and I hope you enjoyed your day.

wilshade
03-09-2008, 11:15 AM
I took 4 developmentally disabled guys to WDW back in December. Without getting into specifics, in addition to their developmental disabilities, they each had several medical issues as well. One of them required a wheelchair.

I was fully prepared to get them through the regular lines and had prepped my staff for it.

We went to Epcot on our first day and I went up to Guest Relations outside the entrance to the park and asked for a "Guests with Disabilities Guide" so that I could manage our day.

I did not ask for a GAC and did not even mention it. However, the manager (at least I think that is what she was) saw my guys and without hesitation, she wrote out a GAC for us.

We used it only when it was absolutely necessary. I will not get into specifics, but my guys have varying tolerances (medical and otherwise) for certain things and I used the GAC to help me better manage those situations.

I have made several trips to WDW with our folks in one-on-one trips as well as group adventures. I have learned to lean on the Cast Members. Just letting them do their jobs, helps me to do mine more than I could ever hope for.

pamlvt
03-09-2008, 04:50 PM
Hi everyone, I'm new to this site, but not WDW. I have a few questions.
My 21 yr old daughter also has a knee injury (as someone mentioned earlier) and will be having her 2nd surgery 3 days after our trip in May. Our doctor suggested a wheelchair because of the obvious pain and inability to walk and stand for long periods and also to try to minimize the swelling that will most likely occur from a trip to Disney.
He is going to give us a note to rent a wheelchair and we thought that we might be able to skip a long line or two, but that is apparently not the case, right?
QUESTIONS:
1) Can she stay in the wheelchair for some lines and then just walk onto the ride?
2) Where will the wheelchair be afterwards?

I agree that the line skipping is out of control but I also think that there should be a policy where those who have members of their party who truely can't stand in line (and my daughter doesn't really fit that situation completely) should be able to do something like the baby-switch. One member of the party can wait with the person who is unable to stand in line, and the rest traverse the line...maybe have a special wristband or card and create an area where you can get into the line nearer to the attraction.
Thanks in advance for your help.

wilshade
03-09-2008, 06:51 PM
She can stay in the wheel chair for most of the lines and even a good many of the rides themselves.

Even without the GAC there ae things you can do to make your lives easier.

1). Get a "Guests with Disabilities Guide" at Guest Relations at each park or even at the Guest Relations desk of your hotel. It will tell you everything you need to know about wheelchair access to lines and attractions. It will tell you what attractions she can simply roll onto and which ones require a transfer.

Even if she does have to transfer, the CMs will take care of the chair and will may even get it for you at the completion of the ride.

2). At the first park you go to, purchase wheelchair rental tickets for each day of your stay. You'll get a coupon for each day and it will make things much easier.

3). Dont "expect" to skip lines, but CMs may provide opportunities to get you undercover and out of the sun or rain. Never be afraid to ask a CM anything.

4). CMs at shows and outdoor events such as parades and the High School Musical show, etc, will most likely render assistance as soon as they see you and direct you to an area they have reserved for wheelchairs and companions.

5). There are usually "courtesy wheelchairs" located next to the bus stops at the parks. If you see one, grab it and just see the rental agent once you get into the park to rent it for the day. The reverse is true on the way out. Also ask the CMs about what you may need to do if you want to keep the chair for use at your resort hotel.

Let me know if you have any more questions. Just make sure you get that "Guest with Disabilities Guide" at each park. That is the single best thing you can do.

alaMode
03-09-2008, 08:47 PM
Hi!
You can have the guides mailed to you. I called the general info WDW number (I got it here on Intercot) and spoke to a CM. I told him my son has CP and I wanted to know what kind of assistance was available at each park so that I could plan his first trip to WDW accordingly. He was super nice and explained a lot of the assistance available and then offered to mail the guides to us.

About 2 weeks later I received a guide (it's more of a brochure) for each park.

I keep them with my other planning stuff--they really are helpful!

PS--When we did finally get to WDW we went to Guest Services to get a birthday button and we were offered a GAC as well. With the GAC my son was able to stay in his special needs stroller right up until he got on a ride and the stroller was waiting for him when he got off. This made things so easy for him!

Tess
poly 07
poly 08--22 days and counnting!

Here we go again...
03-09-2008, 09:43 PM
Hi everyone, I'm new to this site, but not WDW. I have a few questions.
My 21 yr old daughter also has a knee injury (as someone mentioned earlier) and will be having her 2nd surgery 3 days after our trip in May. Our doctor suggested a wheelchair because of the obvious pain and inability to walk and stand for long periods and also to try to minimize the swelling that will most likely occur from a trip to Disney.
He is going to give us a note to rent a wheelchair and we thought that we might be able to skip a long line or two, but that is apparently not the case, right?
QUESTIONS:
1) Can she stay in the wheelchair for some lines and then just walk onto the ride?
2) Where will the wheelchair be afterwards?

I agree that the line skipping is out of control but I also think that there should be a policy where those who have members of their party who truely can't stand in line (and my daughter doesn't really fit that situation completely) should be able to do something like the baby-switch. One member of the party can wait with the person who is unable to stand in line, and the rest traverse the line...maybe have a special wristband or card and create an area where you can get into the line nearer to the attraction.
Thanks in advance for your help.

This is the exact situation my friend was in and she could not get a card.

You will need to rent a wheelchair while you are there. You will not need the doctors excuse to rent the chair. They are first come first serve, so get there early or rent from an off site rental (see our sponsor (http://www.buenavistascooters.com/)) for the entire trip.

Once in the wheelchair you will be directed where to go if the chair will not go through the regular line. There are a few of the older rides that will allow you to go to the front of the ride, but there are not many any more.

If there is a fast pass line you will have to get a fast pass for the ride.

If your DD will be having surgery that soon after the trip, take it easy. There are lots of rides that I love that I have had to give up because they are too hard on my knees.
Good luck.

pink
04-07-2008, 04:41 AM
This makes me really nervous that they're becoming more strict with giving out the GAC. On one of our trips but younger brother started having a meltdown on a line and a lady also on line was kind enough to tell us about the GAC. If she never told us about the pass we would have never came back to WDW because it was so unmangable without it. I guess a doctors note is mandatory next time. :mickey:

Toodle
04-20-2008, 12:16 AM
We were in Epcot this past week and went to get some information about Guest Assistance Cards because I was recently in a car accident and when I get fatigued I have difficulty standing and walking. The guy at Guest Relations who waited on us was downright rude about the GAC and announced to the entire room that since almost every attraction line in Epcot was wheelchair accessible he suggested that I rent a wheelchair.
He gave us quite a lecture about how the GAC doesn't allow you to bypass the lines nor does it grant you special access to attractions.
I hadn't even asked for a GAC, just some information.
It was embarassing. We weren't asking for special access to attractions. We went to Epcot to see the Flower Power concerts and didn't even care what attractions we were able to go to. We were just looking for information.
We saw a lot more people in wheelchairs especially the push type so they must being more discriminating about who gets a GAC and who doesn't.

disneygirlie11
04-20-2008, 09:26 AM
My dad had a stroke and has MS so he uses a wheelchair b/c he can't walk without assistance. Is there somewhere we can park the wheelchair and he can wait in line? He can walk through line holding the railing if it's not a long wait.

Here we go again...
04-20-2008, 10:12 AM
Most rides have a wheelchair line that he can stay in the line right up to the ride. If not, a CM will direct you on where to go to get in an alternate entrance.

Here we go again...
04-20-2008, 10:21 AM
We were in Epcot this past week and went to get some information about Guest Assistance Cards because I was recently in a car accident and when I get fatigued I have difficulty standing and walking. The guy at Guest Relations who waited on us was downright rude about the GAC and announced to the entire room that since almost every attraction line in Epcot was wheelchair accessible he suggested that I rent a wheelchair.
He gave us quite a lecture about how the GAC doesn't allow you to bypass the lines nor does it grant you special access to attractions.
I hadn't even asked for a GAC, just some information.
It was embarassing. We weren't asking for special access to attractions. We went to Epcot to see the Flower Power concerts and didn't even care what attractions we were able to go to. We were just looking for information.
We saw a lot more people in wheelchairs especially the push type so they must being more discriminating about who gets a GAC and who doesn't.

This is exactally the way the person I was with was treated. It was as if they were announcing it to the whole room to get rid of everyone coming in for the GAC.
You see so many push whelchairs because the scooters are not only very expensive in the parks, but they run out early in the morning.
I always make sure that I bring my Handicap License with me when I go. That way they can see that I have a legitimate reason. I am one of those people that if you see me you would never guess that I have a disablity... except that I can not keep my mouth shut sometimes.. does that count? :foot:
For others that have a temporary injury Disney has pretty much turned to the "get a wheelchair" answer.

I don't care what anyone says or thinks, wheelchairs are NOT fun. They cause me more pain many days than if I would walk. Sitting can get very exhausting, especially if you are leaning forward to control a scooter.
Since people can't see the chair down low they tend to trip over you or stop short. I spend my day moving an inch or so at a time. When I see a clear path and move faster I get dirty looks like I am a speed racer. If only they knew that it took me 10 minutes to get to where they were able to walk in 3.

Von-Drake
04-21-2008, 07:42 AM
We were in Disney from April 11 - April 16. Our first day in the parks was April 12th. We went to Guest Relations at MK and I told the CM my son has autism and started to pull out the letter from our Dr.'s office. He politely told me that he did not need to read it, and filled out a GAC for the length of our stay. I can tell you that the GAC for an autistic child is wonderful. The GAC acted as if it was a Dream FastPass, they just directed us to the fastpass line. It was very crowded and the Fast Pass lines were still pretty long, but sometimes, by the time we got to the ride, I could tell my son was just about to start "stimming" and did sometimes. If we can keep him engaged in conversation or focused on something while in line, we usually make out pretty good. But when he loses that focus and begins to hear all the other conversations going on (from different people in line around him) and some in foreign languages, he begins to "stim" and causes difficulty in line. But back to the point, I was very surprised to hear the CM not even ask to see the letter. Even more interesting, while in line to see a character and talking to a CM just casually, our son's condition came up and she asked to see the pass and told us that ours was stamped in black, but should be stamped in green. Just from curiosity we stopped by Guest Relations on the way out of Animal Kingdom, and she Guest Relations CM assured us we had the right one. Then she started to ask me if I remember the other CM's name, where she was working, what time she told us this, and all other detailed questions. It was almost kind of creepy.

Hayden's Dad
04-21-2008, 08:55 AM
downright rude about the GAC and announced to the entire room that since almost every attraction line in Epcot was wheelchair accessible he suggested that I rent a wheelchair.

I think I would have had to ask for a manager. Of all places in WDW at Guest Relations they shouldn't be rude.

I keep reading these posts and I get concerned about our trip in May. We usued the GAC for Hayden last year in May and in Nov, and it made things so much nicer. I am thinking about taking the GAC we had last November and showing them what we had last time and ask for the same thing again. We are getting a letter from our doctor, but to be honest I am not real sure what it needs to say.

It is a real shame that so many people have abused this privledge that they have had to become so strict.

MsMin
04-21-2008, 09:24 AM
I wonder if some of it depends on the capacity of the parks?? I can see that if the parks are packed they may be a little more selective when distributing the passes just because it defeats the purpose if the alternate entrance is just as packed as the stand-by.
Knowing Disney and their excellence in queuing it wouldn't surprise me if they had a limited # they could distribute in a given time.
I'm sure they get flack and whining all day long but it's their job to be nice about it.

Von-Drake
04-21-2008, 09:39 AM
I am thinking about taking the GAC we had last November and showing them what we had last time and ask for the same thing again.

That is probably a good idea. The letter we had from our doctor just stated our son's autism diagnosis with about a 4 sentence explanation of how so many different indistinguishable sounds is a trigger for him to "stim" or become very confused and upset. Even with the pass we did have a few breakdowns, some of the worst came at meal times, when the rooms were very crowded and again so many conversations and sounds going on, we could not get him to focus on his food.

Toodle
04-21-2008, 09:34 PM
I have now spoken to a supervisor who was very nice and explained Disney is happy to give out GACs to anyone who requires assistance. Different GACs (they are stamped differently) allow for different assistance based on the person's needs. If you require assistance with walking or standing or fatigue because of a physical disability they suggest that you get a wheelchair and they give you a GAC. The GAC does not allow you access to fast pass line nor to the front of the line unless the line is not accessible to those in wheelchairs. If the line is not accessible they allow you to enter in a different location. That is why they suggest a wheelchair. This seems like a sensible, responsible way for Disney to accomodate people with disabilities.
While we were at Epcot we saw the CMs direct adults in wheelchairs to the regular line.
However, Disney is much more generous with GACs for children (as I think they should be). Children with Autism as well as other disabiilties get a different kind of pass that does allow them special access to attractions so they do not have to wait in long lines (hopefully to help avoid meltdowns). I think that they also do this for children in wheelchairs - even stroller wheelchairs. So, if I had a child with a disability that prevented the child from waiting in long lines, I would definitely ask for a GAC.
Disney is not allowed to ask you for a doctor's note (it is against ADA). They are only allowed to ask you what kind of assistance you require.
I also think (and, do not know this for sure) when the CMs see a family with a child that obviously needs assistance they automatically allow them to by pass the regular line.
I wish the CM that I had dealt with at Epcot had been willing to explain all of this to me instead of acting as if I was trying to get something that I wasn't entitled to. I didn't even want a GAC, just some info about it. I hope this info helps some of you. Jeal

WDW1985
04-21-2008, 10:35 PM

Great point and CMs will do this, but it's not consistent like it should be. There are also some strict codes (Fire code or OSHA reg) that Disney or any other Theme park must abide by and having wheelchairs in the main line doesn't sound like a good or fair idea for the person in the chair. GAC should be maintained, made better for those using it, and harder to abuse so that those who truly need it get the help they need.

WDW1985
:smickey:

ltam16
04-21-2008, 11:46 PM
We are currently traveling with mil and fil. Both are using wheelchairs because it is too much walking. Fil is 80 and has trouble with his knees and mil is 75. We went 2 years ago and used wheelchair with just fil and got a gac. It was like a fast pass. For older attractions especially. But even for some newer ones.

This time around we were not going to get a GAC because of everything I had been reading here. However, on our first day many cm's at rides said that we should get one. So, we did. I am glad now, because we are pushing 2 wheelchairs and have 2 kids. It is a lot. And while I realize the GAC is for the person in the wheelchair, it is helpful for the pushers too! I don't think people relize how difficult it is to push thru the crowdsand it is not flat terrain!

I don't feel like we are abusing it though. We have gotten fast passes for most of the major rides and waited on other lines if my inlaws weren't riding the ride.

ltam16
04-21-2008, 11:47 PM
I just wanted to add when I went to MK guest relations I simply said I would like a GAC for my fil. He was with me in the wheelchair and there were no questions asked. I got it right away. And no cms have given us a hard time about it.

BrerEmma
04-26-2008, 08:47 AM
Hi all,

Please remember that childrem with developemental delays and autism spectrum disorders have very serious behavioral, social and emotional issues...PERIOD. EVEN if they look normal to you. :mad: I have a 13 year old son (looks just fine) and a more globally delayed 11 year old daughter. I have brought doctors notes in the past and even an official letter from the Dpt. of Mental Retardation. We use the GAC...EVERY YEAR...they are a necessity. Our only problem this past year was with some of the CM at the attractions giving wrong info. on which line to be in. I just asked my husband what we would do if refused a GAC and he said just show them our daughter. How disgraceful. :confused: This is a disability where NOT only the children can become overwhelmed but the parents too!!!!!!!!!!!!! :(

drhama
04-26-2008, 09:15 AM
I got a GAC for my mother a few years ago. She has almost no vision. No difficulties in getting the card. Some regular lines were difficult for her to manage and many were just fine. We did use the wheel chair entrance some times. Several of the thrill rides were not her cup of tea but, must dos for me. Cast members escorted Mom to a waiting area from the load area and I picked her up when the ride was over. Worked great and the CMs were treated Mom with care and respect.

TheMartellFamily
04-26-2008, 11:08 AM
My mom just had a knee replacement and we got a letter from Dr and we are bring our own wheelchair. She is worried that walking will be difficult for her so we were going to bring all paperwork so this maybe an option for her to get if needed.

ibelieveindisneymagic
04-27-2008, 07:19 PM
After reading the last post, I'm a little worried, and a bit confused.

My Mom is coming with us, and she also recently had a knee-replacement. We are renting a scooter so she doesn't have to walk, as she wouldn't be able to manage it.

I didn't think we needed to do anything else...is the scooter enough, or do we need a note from the doctor or anything to ensure she had a good trip?

Here we go again...
04-28-2008, 05:59 PM
After reading the last post, I'm a little worried, and a bit confused.

My Mom is coming with us, and she also recently had a knee-replacement. We are renting a scooter so she doesn't have to walk, as she wouldn't be able to manage it.

I didn't think we needed to do anything else...is the scooter enough, or do we need a note from the doctor or anything to ensure she had a good trip?
When you use a wheelchair you do not really need the guest assistance pass. The chair gets you through the wheelchair line if there is one available. If not, there will be an alternate entrance.
You will be asked at all rides if the person can be transfered from the chair. If not, then they may not be able to ride some of the rides.

The GAC is used more for people that are out of wheelchairs. I have severe arthritis, fibromyalgia and too many surgeries in my knees to count anymore. The problem with me is that sitting hurts more than walking sometimes. If I stand still or sit I stiffen up and then the pain becomes unbearable. The best thing for me is to keep moving. So, on bad trips I have used the GAC.

The problem comes in when the CMs see abuse from people that do not want to wait in lines and abuse the card. So, the answer becomes... "use a wheelchair so you will be more comfortable".

This just means that people with mobility issues will have to use wheelchairs more.

ibelieveindisneymagic
04-28-2008, 09:21 PM
Thanks for the response!

I'm really sorry about the new Disney attitude towards the GAC...everyone deserves to have the best vacation they can!

thejens
04-29-2008, 07:29 PM
One of my concerns for our upcoming trip is keeping my mother out of the humidity as much as possible due to her breathing difficulty. She can wait and even stand without difficulty. I wonder if she would be allowed to wait inside for some of the inside/outside lines until we catch up with her. My other thought is finding her cool places to relax while the kids insist on doing Dumbo again. I think that is the only "special" attention she might need other than what we can do for her. I think we could use her scooter like we do the strollers and just park it.

DawsonAR
04-30-2008, 02:30 PM
We just returned from our trip. My DD has severe CP and is in a wheelchair. We didn't have any problems getting the GAC. However, when we went to use the wheelchair lines on several occasions, we were not allowed to enter until we showed them the GAC. This experience was different from our past experiences. It is obvious that she can't walk. We didn't have a problem with them asking, we just noticed the difference.

ltam16
05-01-2008, 09:59 AM
We had the same experience and we got back last week. We were told we needed a GAC to access the wheelchair entrances.

Gooftroop5
05-03-2008, 10:52 AM
I just wanted to chime in about the abuse of the wheelachir going to the front of the line as to why they are so hard to gedon't do it anymore. Also why getting a gac is so hard. I know a couple people that worked with my mom that specifically rented wheelchairs so they could go to the head of the line. My own family imo abused the system. My aunt is parapalegic. (she couldn't get out of the wheelchair unless her dh picked her up & put her on the ride or the rides the wheelchair can go with her) She would go with her dh & 2dds then another of my aunt would go with her family of 6 so you had a minimum of 10 people. Sometimes there were more depending on what friends & other family members went. They would all stay with my aunt that is in a wheelchair then get on all the rides with her. The only one they didn't was HM because they missed the beginning of the ride. Then they would complain they had to stand in line if my aunt didn't want to go on a certain ride because she was tired of transferring out of her wheelchair.

This year we are going with my father that will be on a scooter or in a wheelchair. He's had foot surgery on each foot. He can walk but all the walking & the standing in one spot really bothers him (part of why he just had to have more surgery). I also know my father if the scooter/wheelchair won't fit in line he will stand with the rest of us. The couple times he had to won't be that bad. None of us in the party of 14 that is going would have a problem of letting my parents stay together & wait in different area while the rest of us go through the line.

I understand that there are times & these are children & a few adults that just are not able to be in line. They are the ones that should get it. I also understand there are people that only go with children & the adult is the one with a physical aliment so you don't want your children standing in line alone. These are the cases that the card should be used for. Everyone else should just take advantage of fast pass or timing. Also there should be a waiting area for people that can't physically stand or wait in line to wait for the rest of their party.

tinkerbellybutton
05-05-2008, 01:06 AM
I don't care what anyone says or thinks, wheelchairs are NOT fun. They cause me more pain many days than if I would walk. Sitting can get very exhausting, especially if you are leaning forward to control a scooter.
Since people can't see the chair down low they tend to trip over you or stop short. I spend my day moving an inch or so at a time. When I see a clear path and move faster I get dirty looks like I am a speed racer. If only they knew that it took me 10 minutes to get to where they were able to walk in 3.

I agree with you there. It's not a game and it is not fun. We actually ended up putting glow sticks on my wheelchair at night because so many people ran into it or tripped over it and then would look at me like it was on purpose. I felt so horrible.

I have Ehlers-Danlos syndrome, a connective tissue disorder.(I look relatively normal untill you ask me to straighten my arms, they bend backwards as do most of my joints) I bring my wheelchair with me now (we used to rent but they were so expensive, my insurance wouldn't pay for a w/c and my ankle braces and since the braces were $3,000 we bought the w/c) but I don't sit in it at all times, you may see me pushing it or squatting behind it, etc. Due to the joint instability my knees, shoulders, hips and ankles frequently dislocate. I have a hard time sitting or standing. Due to weak veins I have low blood levels from aneurysms therefore find myself weak and exhausted. I have no problem waiting my turn and really wish they would come up with a different system.

I also wanted to mention something else. I have never gotten as many dirty looks as I did getting on buses at WDW. No one seemed to notice that my family and I wouldn't immediately get in line because we know that they make wheelchairs go to the front. We would wait by the back of the line, only after one full bus loaded and pulled away would we get in line and still people looked at me like I was taking away their birthdays. They didn't look twice while they were walking by me getting into line but couldn't stop looking at me as I was loaded onto the bus. So for those of you who may get frustrated while waiting for the driver to load a chair or scooter try to put yourself in someone elses shoes and know that if we had a choice we'd be walking, running and climbing those bus stairs like they were nothing ;) I know there are a lot of people who abuse the system but those of us who are honest are more than willing to wait our turns.

Hayden's Dad
05-05-2008, 08:58 AM
I also wanted to mention something else. I have never gotten as many dirty looks as I did getting on buses at WDW. No one seemed to notice that my family and I wouldn't immediately get in line because we know that they make wheelchairs go to the front. We would wait by the back of the line, only after
one full bus loaded and pulled away would we get in line and still people looked at me like I was taking away their birthdays. They didn't look twice while they were walking by me getting into line but couldn't stop looking at me as I was loaded onto the bus. So for those of you who may get frustrated while waiting for the driver to load a chair or scooter try to put yourself in someone elses shoes and know that if we had a choice we'd be walking, running and climbing those bus stairs like they were nothing I know there are a lot of people who abuse the system but those of us who are honest are more than willing to wait our turns.

Amen. :thumbsup:

WDWdriver
05-07-2008, 11:05 PM
When you use a wheelchair you do not really need the guest assistance pass.

This is SO untrue. Guests in a wheelchair do not automatically go to a special entrance or to the front of the line.

If you have a GAC, and the symbol printed on the GAC indicates that you should enter through the FastPass line or wheelchair entrance, then that is how you will enter the attraction. If you are a guest in a wheelchair and do NOT have a GAC with a symbol indicating special access, then you will wait in the normal queue.

I can't tell you how many times guests approach us expecting to go to the front of the line just because they have rented a wheelchair for someone in their party. It doesn't work that way. You must have a GAC that tells us how to treat you. If you don't have one, you wait in the standby entrance queue with everyone else.

Here we go again...
05-19-2008, 08:20 AM
This is SO untrue. Guests in a wheelchair do not automatically go to a special entrance or to the front of the line.

If you have a GAC, and the symbol printed on the GAC indicates that you should enter through the FastPass line or wheelchair entrance, then that is how you will enter the attraction. If you are a guest in a wheelchair and do NOT have a GAC with a symbol indicating special access, then you will wait in the normal queue.

I can't tell you how many times guests approach us expecting to go to the front of the line just because they have rented a wheelchair for someone in their party. It doesn't work that way. You must have a GAC that tells us how to treat you. If you don't have one, you wait in the standby entrance queue with everyone else.

What you are saying is exactally why they are not giving out the passes as easy. People thought they could rent a chair and get to the front of the line... when they realized that did not work, every one gets a doctor to write a letter to get a GAC.

You are also right about the different passes. I think I explained the difference between the two in my original post.

The problem comes in when requesting the alternate entrance pass. I always bring my handicap license and note from my doctor. The first question I am asked is if I plan to use a wheel chair. If so, they do not give you an alternate entrance pass any more. You get a wheelchair pass.
My problem is that I start off walking.... but never know how long it will last.

I only meant that if they are in a wheelchair they will be directed to the wheelchair area automatically. In some parks like MK, that does mean front of the line. In others, you go through the regular queue. If you are in a wheel chair they will give you the wheelchair pass.

Remember, this post started because my friend could not get any kind of pass for her daughter who just had knee surgery - even with a doctors note. She was told to get a wheelchair for the trip.

I guess it all depends on who you get at guest services and if they are feeling the "magic" that day.

We ran into our neighbors on one of the trips and we rode a few rides together. It took her about 5 minutes to make the remark, "I have a friend that is a doctor... I am going to have him write me a note for my next trip". :mad:

Von-Drake
05-19-2008, 08:48 AM
We ran into our neighbors on one of the trips and we rode a few rides together. It took her about 5 minutes to make the remark, "I have a friend that is a doctor... I am going to have him write me a note for my next trip". :mad:

That would have been their last ride with us. I also would have had to have a talk to them about how rude, offensive, callous and self-centered that remark and way of thinking of is inappropriate, but at least lets me see what she is like. This is of course if she said it seriously and not jokingly. :mad:

ElenitaB
05-19-2008, 09:14 AM
So for those of you who may get frustrated while waiting for the driver to load a chair or scooter try to put yourself in someone elses shoes and know that if we had a choice we'd be walking, running and climbing those bus stairs like they were nothing ;) I know there are a lot of people who abuse the system but those of us who are honest are more than willing to wait our turns.
Amen! :thumbsup:

ibelieveindisneymagic
05-19-2008, 08:41 PM
We just got back from the World, our first trip with Mom in her scooter. There is no way that she could have made the trip without the scooter, there were even a couple of times that she was too exhausted to keep up, even with the scooter. We didn't get a GAC, just went ahead with her in the scooter. It was a different trip with the scooter, than the ones we've had before without it, and I understand a lot better the challenges a wheelchair and scooter can present. I'm really glad we got the scooter, having Mom on the trip was worth every aggrevation! For everything we got to go in a bit early, there was something else that we had to wait longer for...for us, it all worked out over the trip.

In most cases, she was treated wonderfully by the CM's, and if she couldn't take the scooter into the attraction, they got her a wheelchair that she wait in. We had a bit of trouble at the Pirate and Princess party, the CM's didn't seem to be as good there, they didn't seem to know what was going on, but we figured it out for her.

In general, I was surprised at the number of things where we had to leave the scooter outside, and have Mom stand (if the line was short), or transfer to a wheelchair to wait. I think I expected more things to be "scooter-ready".

The busses were a bit of a challenge a couple of times. The first bus of the week that pulled up had a driver who had no clue how to use the lift and load the scooter. Since it was Mom's first time on the bus, we couldn't be much help. She finally gave up, and we waited for the next bus!

The other drivers were better, but the other guests were horrible! There were so many comments about how "they should rent one so they can get on first", and after the driver had cleared a seat for Mom beside the scooter while he was locking it in (there is no way she could stand on the bus), another lady took it and refused to move for her to sit down. Finally, her husband got up and let Mom sit. We tried to be fair, not going to the bus loading area until we were sure that we would get on the bus (we put DH in line, and DD and I waited with Mom). Geesh...we really did try to be fair!

I guess I'm just trying to say that if Mom could walk, she would have. A trip to the world is so much easier without a scooter or wheelchair, but since it is the only way some of us can go, I really hope that Disney doesn't make it too hard! I really wish that those abusing the system would spend a day with someone who really needed the help...maybe then they would understand.

Here we go again...
05-20-2008, 09:43 AM
The other drivers were better, but the other guests were horrible! There were so many comments about how "they should rent one so they can get on first", and after the driver had cleared a seat for Mom beside the scooter while he was locking it in (there is no way she could stand on the bus), another lady took it and refused to move for her to sit down. Finally, her husband got up and let Mom sit. We tried to be fair, not going to the bus loading area until we were sure that we would get on the bus (we put DH in line, and DD and I waited with Mom). Geesh...we really did try to be fair!

I guess I'm just trying to say that if Mom could walk, she would have. A trip to the world is so much easier without a scooter or wheelchair, but since it is the only way some of us can go, I really hope that Disney doesn't make it too hard! I really wish that those abusing the system would spend a day with someone who really needed the help...maybe then they would understand.

Ahhh... the bus...
I am glad to hear that you tried to be fair by puttiing your family in line. We tried that once too... but then we found that no matter what we did everyone got upset as soon as that scooter moved to the loading area. We learned fast that the best move was to just go there.

The rude woman does not surprise me. I can not tell you how many times I have tried to get on the bus and people will not move their feet so I can load. I will even ask the to please watch their feet... joke that I can not handle this thing... but they do not want to move.

And yes first on makes people upset. But they do not realize that first on means last off.

I am glad that you were able to experience both worlds, one with and one without a scooter. I wish every one could experince a trip with a wheelchair or scooter so they could learn just how hard it can be. I know that I would love to walk the whole trip and never ride again.

I am happy to hear that you had a good trip though! :cloud9:

Hayden's Dad
05-20-2008, 10:44 AM
We jsut got back too from the World. We took Hayden's old GAC from November and I just showed it to the Guest Services person at MK and told them this is what worked best for us last time and they gave us one jsut like it this time.

I agree with Ibelieveindisneymagic the only time we had issues with the CMs was at Toontown during the P&PP, and also during the day at Toontown. They refused to let us use the back entrance to the charcters in the judges tent. I don't use it for the charcters unless the CM sees it and tells us differently, but here the lines can just be to long for Hayden to tolerate.

We had great expereinces with the busses this time no issues at all. Some of the driver's even corrected themselves by apologizing and telling me they should have looked closer to his chair. (Sometimes I feel like taking that little red sticker they attatch to you stroller and waiving it on a flag pole as the busses pull in.)

PrincessTracie
05-20-2008, 05:39 PM
Hi everyone! I had never known there was any special pass given to special needs people until I read this board. I am amazed at the wealth of information I obtain by reading here!

My nephew has a very severe case of OCD, ADHD, ADD and Tourette's. He lives with my parents (His grandparents) since he was very little and my parents have custody of him. We are going to be going to WDW this August and taking him with us. We went last Sept. with him and he had great difficulties in lines and especially at dinners. Way too much stimulation for his brain at one time! We have tried adjusting his medication several times (its an ongoing process) but nothing really has been helping. He takes about 11 pills in one day. I heard about this GAC pass and thought that he may benefit from it. Do you think he will have difficulty getting this pass when we get there? Would it be best to have a doctors note in hand just in case?

Thanks!!

crazykids
05-20-2008, 06:03 PM
You do not need a Dr.'s note & they probably will not read it anyway. I've only had one occurance where a CM actually read the dr. note & it was at MGM. I would always carry one though just because I think it carries a little more weight than not having one. I always show them that I have the note. There's so much abuse when it comes to this card, that if there are no outward signs of a disability (ex. autism), some CM's may be skeptical.

PrincessTracie
05-20-2008, 06:12 PM
Do you need to get a GAC at each park you visit or is it good for all of them? Also do I need to get one everyday or is it good for my entire visit?

Here we go again...
05-21-2008, 12:04 AM
Hi everyone! I had never known there was any special pass given to special needs people until I read this board. I am amazed at the wealth of information I obtain by reading here!

My nephew has a very severe case of OCD, ADHD, ADD and Tourette's. He lives with my parents (His grandparents) since he was very little and my parents have custody of him. We are going to be going to WDW this August and taking him with us. We went last Sept. with him and he had great difficulties in lines and especially at dinners. Way too much stimulation for his brain at one time! We have tried adjusting his medication several times (its an ongoing process) but nothing really has been helping. He takes about 11 pills in one day. I heard about this GAC pass and thought that he may benefit from it. Do you think he will have difficulty getting this pass when we get there? Would it be best to have a doctors note in hand just in case?

Thanks!!
Bring a note just incase. The card is designed for just this reason. Disney trips should be Magical and it sounds like a trip with your nephew would be much more magical with the GAC.
Good luck and I hope you have a wonderful trip.

Do you need to get a GAC at each park you visit or is it good for all of them? Also do I need to get one everyday or is it good for my entire visit?
The pass you get will be marked with the park it came from but is valid at all parks and will be good for the length of stay.

djsharp
06-21-2008, 02:15 PM
First off I'd like to thank all of you for all the wonderful information about the GAC.

My son's in a self contained special education classroom and his teacher told me about them and I've been researching the boards on a couple of sites about them. She said that she can give us a letter to help with getting a pass.

Has anybody else ever use a letter from their child's teacher? We just moved 3000 miles from our son's previous dr's and haven't gotten any new ones yet. Our son has multiple disabilities due to Shaken Baby syndrome, but the majority of his disabilities fall within the Tramatic Brain injury category. We have waited till now (he's 17) to even attempt to go due to behavior issues, developmental issues, and such, but feel that he'll be able to handle the most of the parks. We plan on using the fastpass system as much as possible and taking a break in the middle of the day when we are anticipating the biggest crowds, but we will be there from 7/10-7/18 (19 days to go!:mickey:) and do anticipate a busy park. As many of you have said, we want to get the pass "just in case". We don't have time to find a local Dr and everything. He's going to be so excited (when we finally tell him- as we drive up to the Pop Century Hotel!:secret:)that we feel that a moderate amount of time in line would be fine (he does well at state fairs and such) He's not in a wheel chair or anything, and he won't have a problem getting around, but like a lot of kids with disabilities, just looking at him you'd never know. The biggest issue is he wants to ride on a ride and there is no fastpass available and the line is real long. He's so unpredictable that sometimes large crowds don't bother hm, but other times they do.

The other question I have is do we need to get a GAC for each member of our party that may need one or can one pass be good for two people?

As I sit here, my back is reminding my of my issue. Standing still for any length of time or walking around slowly (which I anticipate us doing so that we can see everything) makes my lower back give out and I end up walking around hunched over. When I go to a store, sometimes I get a cart just for something to lean on if I know that I'm going to be brousing. Dr's say it's in my head or that I just need to lose weight (i'm 5'5" and weight 170 lbs! I hate Dr's) so it's not like I've overly overweight. But I don't want to ruin my son's time because I can't stand in the line later in the day, because my back has tighten up. I don't feel like I'd need a wheelchair by the end of the day, just some place to sit while we wait our turn.

Again, thanks for all the info.

tinkerbellybutton
06-21-2008, 02:23 PM
Hi, When I got the GAC I brought a drs note but they didn't even bother to look. The more documentation you can bring the easier it will be, I've heard they've gotten more strict. With a GAC for your son it will allow your family, I think up to 5 members to use the alternate entrance. The alternate entrance in some rides is a God send, I was able to sit and stand at will while I waited for my turn and that makes all the difference. Since you're staying onsite, they have W/C at no charge at the resorts if you ned one for your length of stay. I bring my own but before that I used tham from the resorts. However, there is a lmited supply so if you think you'll need it for your back, get it at check in. Have a great trip. I'm so excited for you! Especially being able to keep it a secret:secret:

Marilyn Michetti
06-21-2008, 04:48 PM
Ahhhhhh, the busses ! I HATE them. They load me first because it's the LAW ! The driver cannot leave his seat unattended, so he must shut the front door, load my scooter, then let the passengers on. Frankly, if I were waiting to get on the bus, I'd be "ticked" too, but it is what it is.

Some busses, (front loaders) are really hard, and if there are already passengers onboard, they don't move their feet or knees, and the looks could kill.

I bring my scooter, and this year, bought a much smaller one just for the trip. It's light enough that my DH can lift it into the spot, so I'm REALLY hoping that this year will be easier.

As for the GAC, I don't even ask for one. I can wait in the line better than anyone - I'm sitting down.

There aren't any easy answers re: the bus problem unless Disney builds a four park monorail. The lines? If someone can't wait in the line, there should be an area where disabled or children with ADD and autism, etc. can wait with a ticket that corresponds to the line wait time. Family members can stand in the regular line, hand the ticket to the CM and "claim" the one waiting, and the family member waiting with them? FULL OF HOLES? Yeah, probably, but it's 114 here today.:D

tinkerbellybutton
06-21-2008, 04:55 PM
Ahhhhhh, the busses ! I HATE them. They load me first because it's the LAW ! The driver cannot leave his seat unattended, so he must shut the front door, load my scooter, then let the passengers on. Frankly, if I were waiting to get on the bus, I'd be "ticked" too, but it is what it is.

Some busses, (front loaders) are really hard, and if there are already passengers onboard, they don't move their feet or knees, and the looks could kill.

I bring my scooter, and this year, bought a much smaller one just for the trip. It's light enough that my DH can lift it into the spot, so I'm REALLY hoping that this year will be easier.

As for the GAC, I don't even ask for one. I can wait in the line better than anyone - I'm sitting down.

There aren't any easy answers re: the bus problem unless Disney builds a four park monorail. The lines? If someone can't wait in the line, there should be an area where disabled or children with ADD and autism, etc. can wait with a ticket that corresponds to the line wait time. Family members can stand in the regular line, hand the ticket to the CM and "claim" the one waiting, and the family member waiting with them? FULL OF HOLES? Yeah, probably, but it's 114 here today.:D

:thumbsup:
I don't think it's full of holes, I completely agree with you. As I said in another post when I get to the bus line, I and my family wait for a bus to fill and pull off before we even get in line, I think that you're idea of a "claim check" is a good one with the exception of the fact that I want to spend time with my family while we wait. So why don't they have a seperate area and like you said some sort of pass that has the wait time so that fair is fair. I'm more than willing to ALWAYS wait my turn and would love to see Disney make more of the lines accessible like the newer rides but as you said it is what it is.

djsharp
06-22-2008, 01:07 AM
Thanks for all the info. I know for sure that I'm going to be bringing alot of ibruprophin (sp)from home. 19 days and counting, I can hardly wait to see Louie's face (husband is going to have the video camera on and ready while I'm driving) once he realizes where we are!:tigger: I really don't think he'll figure it out till we take the "train" (IE: Monorail) ride after we check in on the first day and he can see the "Cinderella's House". I have been reading the post on this web site all day in various threads and now I think I'm even more addicted! haha

One other question that you all might be able to help me with. Where are the threads/post for the Pal Mickey? I'm still researching if it's going to something that we could/should get for Louie and I was surprised I couldn't find any post on his here.

Brainiak5
06-22-2008, 08:59 PM
wow...we're going down next week and i'm going to be using a scooter for the week as i'm recovering from foot surgery and am just off of a wound vac...my wound care nurse had suggested the doctors note, and i had almost put her off- until i read this board.

i've never gotten upset or judgemental if someone without a "visible" disability had a pass for something. i'm 6'3" and 300 pounds and if you look at me without seeing my feet, everything looks fine. i had always assumed those who are caretakers or parents of kids with disabilities wouldn't make that stuff up- they have much more important things to worry about. for those individuals who try to lie to manipulate the system - shame on them. i'd rather have someone "get away" with something than have 1 person who really needed the assistance to enjoy their vacation get denied. :mickey:

djsharp
06-23-2008, 03:26 AM
I told my husband what you all said about the GAC pass for our son. But he doesn't believe that the CM's would care if my back was hurting and I needed to sit down to wait for a ride because the pass was given if Louie was/would having problems. What has been your experience with this? If Louie's doing fine standing in the lines and the pass was given because of him, but my back goes out from all the standing around not moving, and I need to utilize it, wouldn't that be kind of like cheating if I didn't have a pass of my own for if I needed it? I hope it wouldn't be viewed that way.

bkfree
07-02-2008, 11:50 PM
I have a son who is 9 and has autism. We will be making our 3rd trip to Disney the first of Dec. While we have always gotten him the GAC, I am happy to say we have never had to use it.
We try and stack the odds in his favor in other ways.
We always go during low crowd value season so the lines are very managable.
We take advantage of EMH, especially early morning at Epcot.
We always get FP when available.
We always opt for waiting in line and then play it by ear. Usually if he has a snack or drink he is occupied during the wait. Other times the wait gives his the chance to check out the ride and surroundings before we get onboard and this helps him.
He has to wait his turn at school and in life in general, there are no GACs in the real world and we try and prepare him for that.
After being the parent of a special boy for the last 9 years, the number of tricks up our sleeves that we have to entertain and distract him are innumerable.
BUT, if ever he truly does become agitated or stresses beyond control then I will quickly whip out that GAC as fast as I can.
WDW has always proven to be a magical place for him and he returns home sprinkled with lots of fairy dust.
I did see many that I thought was abusing the GAC system, that just gave us more incentive to not use ours unless totally needed.
We visit other places on vacation in similiar circumstances and they don't offer GAC's. If he can do it there, he can do it at WDW.
SO far so good.:mickey:

Here we go again...
07-03-2008, 06:40 PM
Bkfree,
I applaud you for teaching your child that the park is not different than the real world.

There are so many people that want the GAC because their children are difficult to handle.

A child with Autism can function in the real world. But for those times that they are overwhelmed or do have a complete meltdown it is nice to have other options so that you do not have to end your day.

I would really like it if you could share some of the things you do in line to help keep your son distracted. There are many famlies with Autistic children that would love some help in this area.

bkfree
07-03-2008, 11:02 PM
Here are some things that help when we are in a waiting situation.

Play back some video we have taken at the parks on our small Sony Handycam that we always have with us.

Take goofy pics of him with the digital camera, let him see them,delete them and do some more. It is amazing how long this keeps him occupied.

Get him a frozen coke. He loves them and it takes a while to **** through the straw.
Ditto with popcorn. He will sit and eat it and people watch for a long time.

A few small matchbox cars I keep in my bag will also entertain him in line.

A YoYo also keeps him occupied,(Us too)

We also keep a small pair of binoculars with us and he loves to sit and look around the park with them.(Us too)

Stickers . Sticking them on our face, his face,his sister and anywhere else deemed entertaining.

He loves Blues Clues so we get a pen and a very small spiral notebook and he looks around and tells us where the clues are and we draw a picture of it.

A small personal battery operated fan also keeps him occupied. Those really small cheap ones.

The month before we go I start collection small things and keep them hidden from him and that is our "line bag of tricks". I also pick up a few things from the parks during our trip.
ALso the great day after Thanksgiving sale at the Disney store gets me a big load of small stuff.

bkfree
07-05-2008, 11:45 PM
P.S. I can't believe I forgot our #1 most useful and successful tool with our son, his MP3 player.It is tiny and fits easily in his pocket with ear buds.Bought it at Walamart for about $30 and it is fantastic.
We have it loaded with all of his favorite songs, mostly country. In the car, restaurants and waiting in line he just plugs it in and is a happy and patient boy.

I can't imagine what we would do with out this invention.
FYI= We have the one that uses a AAA battery so that we do not have to worry about it running out of a charge. It is so easy to slip an extra battery in my bag or pocket.

DigitalDaredevil
08-08-2008, 02:28 AM
I learned something from this thread. Thank you to those who have posted. My girlfriend's mother is very ill of cancer and amazingly she has been a survivor far beyond her prognosis. She has never been to WDW and stated that she would like to go. I told her that I would take her so that she can enjoy all of the happiness and joy that WDW offers .
I was unaware of the GAC but she definitely applies to its rules in many ways. I appreciate the Intercot community as I learn more and more about WDW even though I have been there many times.
Are there any more suggestions that people can give for me in my situation? She has been attacked by cancer horribly but still fights it like no other. I just want to make sure that she has the best time that she can.
Thanks Intercot Community!

ElenitaB
08-08-2008, 03:19 PM
DigitalDaredevil, this thread (http://www.intercot.com/discussion/showthread.php?t=126561)has lots of useful hints in it.

Have a magical trip!

dizneegirl
08-08-2008, 08:19 PM

I completely agree with you. I, too, agree that the GAC should not be abused but my child is a threat to himself and others around him (hitting, biting, screaming) when he is in a crowded and overstimulating situation. Because of his condition, he does not understand the concept of waiting and while we are addressing this in therapy he should be able to enjoy Disney just as much as anyone else without having to go through meltdowns everytime we have to wait in line.

I am sure Disney will work something out that will be in the best interest of everyone.

murphy1
08-09-2008, 03:25 PM
Kim, don't feel like you shouldn't use the card, I was in line behind a lady and her son at TT and they had one, I was pretty sure he was autistic (just b/c of a couple of things that happened in the line), we had FP. I am still healing from a June surgery and thought about getting one, but didn't, I had one before b/c of a vein problem during pregnancy which was a lifesaver. I think definitely parents of special needs kids deserve to use the card.

DigitalDaredevil
08-21-2008, 04:26 AM
Thank you Elenita for your thread direction. We leave in a few weeks and she is very excited about the trip.
Not only do CM's make Disney a great place, it is the Disney Community that makes it so special also.
Thanks again!