PDA

View Full Version : WDW's extra that brings you the most pleasure?

Jeff G
02-24-2008, 11:40 AM
We all have our favorite rides and shows but most of us also have other things we enjoy which make WDW what it is; maybe a snack at certain location, a night time event, people watching at a certain location, ect..... What is that special something you enjoy?

Mine is sitting on the Polynesian Resort's beach and taking in the Magic Kingdoms fireworks and then catching the electric water parade afterwards.

julian
02-24-2008, 12:18 PM
My family and I used to drive up after school, so by time we got there it was already dark.

My favorite time was when we would go out to Downtown Disney, filled with anticipation for the next day at the parks.

Also, I love it when you check in to Disney hotels and they give you that booklet of hotel information and brochures - it is usually themed along with the hotel's theme.

- Jooles

busterthebronco
02-24-2008, 12:23 PM
ours changes every few times we go.
right now its goofys candy shop.
we love the mke your own treat deal.
i start out with a rice krispy marshmallow treat, dump it in milk chocolate, roll it in pecans, and drizzle it with caramel!
personally a simple pleasure i like is buying a cigar at sosa's and enjoing it at whichever resort we are calling home!

WinnipegDisneyFanatic
02-24-2008, 12:32 PM
Arriving the first day, having dinner at Hollywood and Vine, then off to Fantasmic! with the Fantasmic! dining plan. Maybe ending the night with 1 trip to the Hollywood Tower Hotel.

And after that, lounging on the patio at Pop Century outside Hippy Dippy Pool, with a soft drink in a refillable mug, looking up at the night sky, surrounded with palm tree leaves, a slightly humid air...ah.....I'm totally relaxed now! :cloud9:

Chris :hatter:

johnO
02-24-2008, 01:27 PM
The immersion factor, being secluded in WDW with no connection to the outside world, the escape from the daily grind.

#1donaldfan
02-24-2008, 01:37 PM
Mine is so simple...

At the POR Riverside resort, I love each morning, drinking a cup of coffee sitting on the bench right behind building 18, looking toward the food court and watching the sunrise over the water !!!! I start out alone, enjoying this, and once the kids and DW join me we hit the parks running !!!!! What a way to start out a day !!:mickey::mickey::mickey:

elmjimmlm
02-24-2008, 02:30 PM
It has to be when we are sitting and waiting on Fantasmic to start...When the lights come up and the music starts...I love every minute of it...Also when Mickeys Philharmagic starts and you hear Minnie telling you to put on your opera glasses...There is no place on earth that makes me feel so good...I dont know if it is how my kids look at me when they are getting to see their favorites shows or if it is actually the kid in me knowing that I finally get to see the things that I look forward to all year :mickey:

dumbo ears
02-24-2008, 02:33 PM
mine is sitting on a bench in the central hub of MK watching the spectromagic parade. It just very majestic for me

MarkC
02-24-2008, 02:37 PM
There are so many for me-- just soaking up the atmosphere of the parks at night; walking around the world showcase, the smells of the food at different locations (especially the roasted almonds), the noise of kids at the pools or water parks, walking through the shops looking at merchandise I don't need but want anyway, etc. I'm sure I'll think of many more but those come to me off the top of my head. Mark

cckelly
02-24-2008, 02:40 PM
ours changes every few times we go.
right now its goofys candy shop.
we love the mke your own treat deal.

Where is Goofy's Candy Shop? I don't think I've ever been there!

Stan
02-24-2008, 04:22 PM
Nothing else is quite as magical for me as Disney fireworks, whatever variety & wherever I'm watching from. :fworks:

It's a pretty neat feeling to have just gone thru the turnstile into any of the parks, because whatever's next, it's going to be fun! :mickey:

BluewaterBrad
02-24-2008, 04:29 PM
The immersion factor, being secluded in WDW with no connection to the outside world, the escape from the daily grind.

Perfect!!:mickey:

disneyworld55925592
02-24-2008, 05:14 PM
Mine has to be either sitting on a park bench or on your balcony, anywhere within disney and just soaking it in.
second is the crepes in france! i get one everytime im there!:thumbsup:

SgtTigger
02-24-2008, 06:13 PM
Parking in the Parking lot at Wilderness Lodge and hearing the Steam Train Whistle from Magic Kingdom in the distance.... I have arrived......

Sitting on the 4th floor overlook at the rear of the Lobby at Wilderness Lodge watching the stream, pool, and the boats gliding across Bay Lake.

Also eating a meal at Beaches and Cream...

I really like this thread......... thanks

:cop: :tigger:

TheMartellFamily
02-24-2008, 06:58 PM
Mine is standing on the bridge by the unused Odessey Restaurant in EPCOT and watching Illuminations. The other thing is being in Ft Wilderness and hearing the boat whistles comming from the marina.

PrincessErin
02-24-2008, 06:58 PM
We love to watch movies on the beach at The beach club!! We had no idea that they did this until our trip last July when we stayed there. :thumbsup: It is great fun!!

Also, on our last trip I fell in love with the almond body butter from Basin... Now I cant go with out it :cloud9:

There are many more, but those are the ones standing out at the moment.

DisneyDudet
02-24-2008, 07:03 PM
That first bus ride to any park after we've arrived! I mean, you drive under that sign, but there's nothing like a bus ride, knowing when you get off, you'll be at Disney!!

I also love the background music all over the parks. Its so subtle, but it just adds so much!

There's also nothing like the MK fireworks. No matter where you are or what you're doing, you can't help but be mesmorised by them and stop and watch them. Again, the music really makes them amazing.

Also, watching the eyes of the children around me (I am the child in our family!) see Mickey in a parade or for the very first time, its so priceless!! That is something you can't get anywhere else!

princessimagineer
02-24-2008, 07:04 PM
please stand clear of the doors, per favore montagnasiallahadesdelas peurtas BOOPboop

that just puts me in my happy place

*sorry, im no expert at spanish at all, i am just typing what i hear

Friend of Figment
02-24-2008, 07:38 PM
-the smell from the bakery on Main St.

-riding the monorail

-being immersed in fantasy for one week a year!

BelleLovesTheBeast
02-24-2008, 08:09 PM
Where is Goofy's Candy Shop? I don't think I've ever been there!

It's in DD's Marketplace.

Let's see...we always eat at Biergarten, we eat at O'hana's and watch Wishes from the restaurant and we get apples at Goofy's.

poohbearlover15
02-24-2008, 08:47 PM
I know this is weird but for me is when we are checking into our hotel! i love looking at all the disney brochures!:mickey:

MickeyChick
02-25-2008, 08:44 AM
There's just something about walking through the tunnel, looking at posters for old movies, grabbing my map and show schedule and coming out into the bright sunlight onto Main Street USA that makes me well up.

RAIDER
02-25-2008, 08:54 AM
Standing at the entrance of Main Street at the start and the end of the day watching the people go by ... I always know at that point i am trully on my holiday :thumbsup:

Having a dole whip as we dont get them in England :thumbsup:

Mackflava99
02-25-2008, 09:47 AM
I really enjoy walking around the lagoon at Epcot at night about 30 minutes before closing-then near the BC lagoon at night, seeing all the lights at the boardwalk etc- My kids usually pass out early, so my wife stays with them, but i like to walk off excess energy ( i can walk for a long time..even the days in the park don't tire me) - but i find it relaxing.

GrmGrninGost
02-25-2008, 12:33 PM
There are so many things! Riding the ferry to the MK on the first morning and seeing the castle getting closer and closer! Stepping into Cosmic Rays and hearing Sonny Eclipse. The music, especially on Main Street USA! Dole Whip Floats! Our annual meal at Liberty Tree Tavern! Seeing a character we haven't met before! And so many more I can't even begin to list them! What a wondrous place WDW is! :mickey:

joonyer
02-25-2008, 01:30 PM
:fworks: WISHES, without a doubt, hands down, every time. It's the most magical moment for me, watching the shells burst over the castle :tink: with the music to "when you wish upon a star . . . ."

I "Wish" I was watching it right now!

snowflakegirl
02-25-2008, 01:37 PM
What a great thread! Exactly the pick me up I needed today.

There are so many things, but I think I'm going to have to go with eating a slightly warmed chocolate croissant from the Main Street Bakery right after the park has opened sitting outside and watching people start their day. I love a good chocolate croissant, but there's just something special about the ones from the Main Street Bakery. I don't know what it is, but no other is quite the same or makes me quite as happy. :mickey: Only 172 days until I get my next one!

BandMan
02-25-2008, 01:49 PM
I have two that are probably pretty different from most people:

1.) As my user name suggests, I am a high school band director. My band marched in the 3:00 parade back in 1996. It was hot (96 degrees), but my kids did so great - high stepped the last turn around the flagpole and out a little gate next to town hall. I was so proud of them. :number1: I think about that everytime we're on Mainstreet.

2.) We have four children and both our sons are autistic. There was one just really special moment when we were walking through Tomorrowland, and both boys were just a little ahead of us. They didn't do any inappropriate behaviors; no hand flapping or humming. They were just kids - not autistic kids. They were just walking and taking in the sights. I even took a picture. It was as close to heaven as I have been in this life. :cloud9: I have a special feeling anywhere in Tomorrowland just because of that moment.

bleukarma
02-25-2008, 02:33 PM
Walking into my resort room for the first time. I’m blessed enough to live close to WDW and I could go to the parks anytime, but staying on property is a real treat for me. When I walk into the room I have to jump on the bed, kick off my shoes, find Stacey on Disney’s tv, and relax. Even if it’s just for a few minutes before heading to a park, there is nothing like arriving to my room and know that it will be “home” for the next few days. :cloud9:

Roger Rabbit 89
02-25-2008, 03:15 PM
For us it was some simple things. Turn down service, and the chocolates on the pillow. My kids (3 and 4 at the time) could fall asleep on the Monorail or bus on the way back, but when we got close to the room, I would have to beat them back from the door. I couldn't get the room key in fast enough for them. They would race to see how many chocolates were on the pillows. This was great for me, growing up in a poor family, it was nice to give my kids a little bit of the good life even if just for one week.

The other thing was the small of flowers every time we walked in GF! It always felt like home just walking in the door and smelling that.

Michael

tjstrike
02-26-2008, 01:30 AM
I believe the " being immersed in disney " is what does it for me. No outside world for a week or so. Also was really nice coming back to the hotel (SSR) after a long day at the parks and looking across the water at DTD. It's really awesome looking at night. :thumbsup:

IloveJack
02-26-2008, 08:26 AM
Up until last year, I would have said it was just "the magic." You all know what I'm talking about. The way that the entire rest of the world seems to dissapear. I still feel that way, but on this past trip, DH and I discovered our new fave "extra." From now on, we'll have to end our trip at Epcot, eating at the Rose and Crown. And as long as the logistics work out, it'll be after Illuminations has finished, when EMH is just starting up, so that we can have the place to ourselves.

Can we leave tonight?

tink2006
02-26-2008, 08:56 AM
Mine is so simple...

At the POR Riverside resort, I love each morning, drinking a cup of coffee sitting on the bench right behind building 18, looking toward the food court and watching the sunrise over the water !!!! I start out alone, enjoying this, and once the kids and DW join me we hit the parks running !!!!! What a way to start out a day !!:mickey::mickey::mickey:

Ditto :number1: except I drink diet coke and I am at Oak Manor (90) looking towards the food court....It is just SOO relaxing :cloud9:

kdsjjb
02-26-2008, 10:46 AM
Great thread, and great responses.

I agree with almost everything I've read, but the one thing that really makes me smile everytime is the "Welcome Home" that you get when checking in to the hotel.

I'm smiling right now just thinking about it.

c&d
02-26-2008, 10:57 AM
My favorite part is when we check into our condo and they say Welcome Home.

I also love the first trip out to the parks after checking in. I still get really excited about seeing the parks for the first time.

MOJoe
02-26-2008, 11:07 AM
There are so many personal special moments to be had. But when i am walking past Off Kilter or Mo Rockin as they are playing.... i can't help but dance a few steps and my already big smile will get a full inch wider. :D

JuicyMoose17
02-26-2008, 11:45 AM
Walking under Spaceship Earth on the first day, past the fountain, spotting the tacky spinning shapes then hitting up the Club Cool station for a watermelon soda.

BandMan
02-26-2008, 01:43 PM
... then hitting up the Club Cool station for a watermelon soda.

And a nice big gulp of Beverly? :thumbsup:

LauraF
02-26-2008, 01:56 PM
It's always sounds for me:

The howl of the wolf at the HM
The whirr of the monorail traveling overhead in Epcot
The public service announcements on the buses
The "jungle drums" at the entrance to AK

All of those make me go "I'm here, I'm here, I'm here, I'm here, I'm here, I'm here!" on the inside, even if I look like a calm, smiling adult on the outside. :D

Darin M
02-27-2008, 11:36 AM
My GF and I love to get Dole Whips and stroll through Adventureland at night, enjoying them.

KingOMiami
02-27-2008, 12:12 PM
DW & I love when we first enter onto WDW property where the welcome sign is on Osceola Parkway. Only then do we feel like we are on vacation and at peace with the cosmos

One of these days we are going to remember to have the camera ready so DW can take a picture of it when we are driving in lol

Mikey Piano 23
02-27-2008, 12:59 PM
Nothing said Disney to me better than the 'Citrus Swirl' in Magic Kingdom. Last year they changed the recipe I was really upset!

SpecJoe Magic
02-28-2008, 03:05 AM
I have a lot of those extras. Here is a few:

-Eating a Dole Whip from Aloha Isle
-Eating a hot dog at Casey's Corner
-Viewing the Magic Kingdom and surrounding area from the top of the Contemporary
-Riding the boat on the Sassagoula River to and from Downtown Disney

lightyearfan
02-28-2008, 10:43 AM
well mine and dw would have to be watching any parade on Main Street USA, it just has a special feel about it and we never miss the parades and sometimes even catch it more than once like Spectromagic. we'll see it at the 9PM slot so that i could tape it and dw can take her pictures, than we'll get ready for Wishes and walk to in front of the castle to enjoy Spectromagic again, but this time there is no filming or picture taking, we're just enjoying the parade.

Victor

NYCGirl2582
05-27-2008, 10:15 AM
Seeing Cinderella Castle for the first time as the bus pulls up into the MK

Seeing all the Disney characters

Getting splashed with water at Mickey's Philharmagic

JasonH
05-27-2008, 04:26 PM
Hmm, there could be quite a few for me since the list has grown over the years. I'll try and keep it short:
1. Coming from hwy. 192 and then turning onto the main road that leads to my resort and seeing that big welcome sign.
2. The music. Whether it's standing in line for such attractions like POTC or Living With The Land, or whether it's the music used at the resort I'm staying in, the music really adds to the magic that says I'm "home". :D
3. That first chicken strip and fries basket of the trip. Don't forget the honey!! :eat:
4. The smells. Almost everywhere you go, each attraction or store seems to have it's own smell and it helps to create that special memory. Such as when Horizons was still around, going through the scene with the orange grove and smelling oranges, I knew I was at WDW. I STILL think they should have had an orange stand at the end selling different variations to have oranges(orange slush, orange/vanilla swirl, o.j., sliced or whole oranges).:tasty:

indytraveler
05-27-2008, 04:47 PM
Ours is a picture once we get in the park at approximately the same spot each year. What a way to see how everyone has grown in a years time. Also, getting to Pecos Bills and having a hamburger before the parade starts.

debandbub
05-27-2008, 07:04 PM
Definitely the immersion factor. And the customer service. As someone who has spent years in customer service industry, (and now in government!), I TRULY recognize and appreciate good customer service, which I never find lacking in WDW. That, and when we go in December- coming from upstate New York, there really is something magical about listening to Christmas carols while wearing just shorts and a t-shirt!

Young@Heart
05-27-2008, 07:33 PM
There are so many things!
Probably the two that mean the most to my family are meeting so many characters and just getting away from the rest of the world for a week. There's nothing like Disney magic to make you feel like you've traveled to a fantasy land! :cloud9:

cal5755
05-27-2008, 07:40 PM
Well I love DME!! Getting a seat on that bus from the airport knowing it is going to take us to our home resort for the week!! Watching the movie and getting all giddy like a teenager. I don't think I stop smiling from the time we leave the airport until we board again to go home!!

Dole Whips....love them in the hot September sun. Sweet, cold and refreshing.

Wishes...nothing can compare to that feeling when you watch the fireworks over the castle.

Finally... FANTASMIC.... I get goosebumps everytime we go to that show...it is by far my favorite night time show. It is exciting and thrilling and just AMAZING.....

Mousemates
05-27-2008, 11:43 PM
The sennse of anticipation upon checking in at the resort.

Stepping on the bus or monorail on your way to the Magic Kingdom

Walking down mainstreet towards the castle and smelling thw sweet perfume of the candystore.

EditReject
05-28-2008, 12:33 AM
While I do not wish for rain when I am down there, I love walking around the Magic Kingdom on a summer night after a storm.

kelly.garrett
05-28-2008, 12:38 AM
One for me is frozen lemonade anywhere at any time. (Not the Minute Maid cup thing though.) Another is Wishes.

KineGirl
05-28-2008, 12:56 AM
those delicious ham tasting turkey legs :mickey:

Natazu
05-28-2008, 04:14 AM
Hearing "Ladies and Gentlemen, in just five minutes..." never fails to give me a shiver, even when I'm not attending whatever they're announcing. There is just something both magical and surreal in that few words.

disneydd
05-28-2008, 09:46 AM
Up until recently it was always the eggroll Cart :eat: in front of SFR (perfect for grabbing a dole whip to go along with it!!), but durring my last trip it wasn't there - Major Bummer. I will just have to find a new favorite small thing when I am there i n 6 days!!! :joy:

Princess'Mom
05-28-2008, 12:40 PM

I wholeheartedly concur! WL does that for our family, especially sitting by the pool!;)

wdwfansince75
05-28-2008, 01:04 PM
Every trip includes....the Monorail. We are all together, smiling, because we are on our way to the MK....brings back memories of past trips, and the grins on the faces of my family, as they talk about that first ride (Usually POTC)....priceless!

Mackflava99
05-28-2008, 05:28 PM
Entering the beach club and being greeted by the Admiral :)

Walking around the BC lagoon at night - that very first night after all the fireworks as things wind down- very comforting...

paragon
05-28-2008, 05:39 PM
I have a few.

I guess my number one thing is just Main Street.
Second to that would be MK at night with all the lights on.

watching the fireworks,

and getting an ice cold coke on Main st!

lin555593
05-28-2008, 08:37 PM
:mickey:The limo ride from the airport to Disney. I know that our vacation has started. The 1st time we walk into the International Gateway @ Epcot and here the holiday music, I know that we're away from the daily grind for a few days!!!!!!