PDA

View Full Version : Fantasmic! Dinner Package?

cincymommy
02-24-2008, 11:04 AM
Could someone explain what this is? I am planning my first trip. Does it work with the dining plan?
:blush:

DisneyFanaticDargon
02-24-2008, 11:32 AM
Not sure if it works with the Dining Plan but essentially how it works is you make a reservation at one of three restaurants (last I checked it was Brown Derby, Mama Melrose, and I THINK Sci-Fi Dine-In but don't quote me on that) where you get a fixed meal price (so I'm assuming an appetizer, an entree, a non-alcoholic beverage, and dessert, at least that's how the Candlelight Processional Package works) and guaranteed seating for Fantasmic. You get to enter Fantasmic from a separate entrance and they have two seating areas reserved exclusively for dinner package guests.

I would like to point out though that the reserved sections are the two furthest right sections and quite frankly you could save money by having an early dinner and then queuing up for Fantasmic normally and sitting in one of the more center sections.

ltam16
02-24-2008, 11:35 AM
We did this in August. We were on the dining plan. When you call to make your ADR just tell that that you want the Fantasmic dinner package. They'll give you all the details. Usually you have the first showing of Fantasmic. We ate at H&V buffet. It was okay, but it was soooo hot that day that we were not that hungry and exhausted. I want to try it again before giving a true review!

The seating for Fantasmic was good. We were to the right and up high. But, we did not have to get there super early to wait in line. It was our first and only Fantasmic show. So I don't know if it is worth doing. We are not doing ddp in April so going to do Fantasmic without dinner package.

nana2317
02-24-2008, 11:53 AM
We just returned from a great trip to WDW -- we were winners twice in The Year of a million Dreams -- hats and dream fast passes. We did the Fantasmic package at Mama Melrose. We were on the dining plan and it was a great deal because the package includes appetizer, entree and dessert. Everything we ate was delicious and the service was great. We were seated in the second section from the end but got there 30 minutes before the show and were able to sit very far down front and over so the view was just fine.
I highly recommend doing it this way.

tink2006
02-24-2008, 12:14 PM
We have done the Fantasmic package several times. The rest are: Brown Derby, Hollywood & Vine and Mama Melrose. Yes, it works with the dining plan. Keep in mind that the Brown Derby will be 2 TS. The other rest are 1 TS. When you make your ADRs just let them know you want the Fantasmic Package. After your meal (our favorite is the Brown Derby) you will be given a little card and asked to show up 30 min before. The sections reserved are the 2 furthest right but I think the view is perfect from here. In this reserved section it will be first come as far as seating.

IMO, it is the only way to do it :number1: The lines for Fantasmic can get very long ( I have seen them go almost to the front of the park during the busy times).

DreamFinder2
02-24-2008, 01:29 PM
I'll echo the other posts - this is the ONLY way to see Fantasmic! The first time we went to WDW after DS opened we stood in the regular line for it, and it was a nightmare. Nearly 2 hours waiting and still ended up way up high.

But with the FDP, you eat, saunter to the "secret" entrance, and watch the show...couldn't be any easier.

It's also interesting to note...Disney isn't just "being nice" with this, right? It's actually a great marketing strategy to fill up restaurants during those earlier time slots. That's why FDP seating is often in the 3-5pm range. Gotta give 'em credit for being clever :thumbsup:.

Jared
02-24-2008, 02:47 PM
I think the Fantasmic! Dinner Package is an excellent concept, and it's probably the best option for some groups. Before making a reservation, though, I would consider a few points, then decide if it's the best strategy.

What time of year are you traveling, and what day do you want to see Fantasmic! What time is the show that night? More importantly, how many shows are there that night?

The first performance of Fantasmic! is always packed, like the other posters in this thread have mentioned. On busy days, you may have to wait an hour or more to guarantee seats. But the second show, usually 90 minutes later, is consistently less crowded. I've been to late performances that were no more than 75 percent full.

If you don't have young kids, or your smallest can stay up late enough, I suggest forgoing the Fantasmic! DInner Package and seeing the second show. If that's not an option, or there's just one show the night you plan on seeing Fantasmic!, the package may be a good deal for your group. You can use the Fantasmic! Dinner Package with the Disney Dining Plan. Hollywood & Vine and Mama Melrose's Ristorante Italiano cost one table service credit. The Hollywood Brown Derby costs two.

:tasty:

jefmblrd
02-24-2008, 04:22 PM
I would think twice before doing the Fantasmic Dinner package especially if there are two shows the night you want to go. Here are a few reasons...

Mama Melrose and Hollywood & Vine are average restaurants at best and Brown Derby is good, but there are many other restaurants that are a better way to spend 2 TS credits like California Grill, Narcoosees, Jiko to name a few.

The saved seats are not the best as they are on the side where some seats let you see backstage and the music/audio can seem out of sync. The best seats in Fantasmic are just off center left or right.

If there are two showings, then you can go to attractions and rides during the first show while many people are at Fantasmic and spend less time waiting in line. Also depending on what time the park closes, it may actually close while you are in the second show and you can make your way out nice and slowly stop in the Villains store etc and maximize your time in the parks.

laward32
02-24-2008, 06:00 PM
I would like to point out though that the reserved sections are the two furthest right sections and quite frankly you could save money by having an early dinner and then queuing up for Fantasmic normally and sitting in one of the more center sections.

We did this in Dec 06 and we were told to be at the gate at 5:30, which we were and the first ones there. Nobody came to get the group of people until 6:10, so by the time we got into the ampitheater it was already full except for the two sections for the dinner package, which as the poster I quoted said, is the two furthest right sections. I thought we were supposed to get center seats. Plus the wait, I would rather have waited with everyone else and picked my own seats. You don't pay extra for it and you can use the DDP (we did), so I don't see the point.:mickey: