PDA

View Full Version : Epcot - What am I missing?

AeroRnRer
02-24-2008, 08:56 AM
I've only been to DW 2 times and right now we are planning our 3rd trip.:joy:

On our 2 previous trips we have been to all 4 parks and both times Epcot was our least favorite of the four. Certainly not saying I didn't like it or that it is bad by any means - I just have liked the other 3 parks better.

While reading here and talking to family and friends, everyone else seems to put it as one of their absolute favorite of the 4 parks.

So my question is to those who think Epcot is the best...What am I missing? Sell me on Epcot! Last visit was in 2002.:thumbsup:

rwdavis2
02-24-2008, 09:20 AM
Visiting Epcot at night is fun. The lighting is really cool and illumunations is great. Some parts are getting old and need updated or totally replaced. For me, Epcot is my third favorite, ahead of AK.
Bob

BluewaterBrad
02-24-2008, 09:35 AM
You have Mission Space and Soarin now! We love Epcot. We we visit that park we tend to be more relaxed (not that we are not-relaxed at other parks) but we really just roam and roam and take the day as it comes!:mickey:

jwallace378
02-24-2008, 09:37 AM
I think everyone has their favorite and least favorite parks. Epcot is #2 for me. In my opinion, AK is the worst, but someone else may love it. I too enjoy walking around Epcot at night with the lights and futuristic music in Futureworld. It does have three of the best rides in all of WDW. Test Track, Soarin, and Mission Space

AeroRnRer
02-24-2008, 10:00 AM
I remember loving Illuminations and plan to make sure and be there one evening to see that. I'm super excited about going on Soarin'...that sounds really cool!

Where's your favorite place to eat? last time we ate in Mexico. Not sure of the restaurant but it was good.

Funny a few of you mention AK being your least favorite, now that is one of my favorites.

Madame Leona
02-24-2008, 10:00 AM
I think I'm with you on this one. I like Epcot but I like the other three parks just a little bit more. At Epcot I like the world showcase and a few rides and attractions but it just doesn't grab me like the other parks do.

Funforall
02-24-2008, 10:09 AM
My favorite part of Epcot is the atmosphere. I love that you can look across the park and see all of the countries and look back the other direction to see most of FW. Also, the buildings in both areas are done the best, IMO. It's a great place to walk around and just feel the ambience.

HairyBear
02-24-2008, 10:33 AM
My daughter loves epcot, she has always loved it she can't explain but there are many things to do and the atmosphere is a huge part of it. If you have kids they had(not sure it's still going) kidcot(?). They give you a mask that you color on a stick and an inspiration to find the kidcot stations as you go around the world. She loves doing this still! Usually the stations aren't right out in the open and involve a little searching maybe more than you would do if you just passing through each country. Also if you don't have kids I can remember a Beatles cover band that was great in the gazebo across from the fish and chips place. The people watching were like relaxing in the park around the gazebo and drinking cold ones(they do serve alcoholic beverages in this disney park).....hmmmm maybe that's why it's popular? Overall it's a take it as it comes park. I'm not sure if bands are on a schedule or just show up..

Mary M
02-24-2008, 10:57 AM
One of the reasons I go to WDW is to eat, and Epcot is a great place for that! I saw someone above ask our favorite places to eat. Here's a short list:

- both restaurants in France
- Coral Reef
- Le Cellier
- Rose and Crown
- Tangierine Cafe

I can't comment on Japan or Italy since they've changed since we were last there and we haven't tried them yet.

I love Epcot - it and MK are my two favorite. DHS and AK are my second favorites. :D

My least favorite? Going home. :mickey:

AllDisney
02-24-2008, 10:58 AM
We love EPCOT. It's our favorite. We love the countries and all the restaurants that are located there.

It's the one park, as far as we are concerned, that
is more relaxing. It never seems crowded there because of the design of the park and the lovely WIDE walk ways. You can just walk around, at your leisure, and do, or not do anything you desire. We love Soarin, Mission Space, Test Track, Space Ship Earth, Honey I Shrunk the Audience...and the list just goes on and on for us :thumbsup:

WDW is about doing your own thing and lovin' it:cloud9:

Whatever you do, whatever you like....it's all about the magic!

Donald's Girl
02-24-2008, 11:01 AM
I think repeat visits to WDW may be the answer to how you feel about EPCOT. I remember the first few times we went I felt the same as you; liked some of the FutureWorld attractions but didn't get World Showcase at all.
As we made more trips, and got to experience all the attractions at all the parks multiple times, our vacations became more relaxing and that's when I began to appreciate EPCOT.
We rarely go there for one full day. Our first day we always have dinner at Cape May at BC and then stroll over to walk off dinner, enjoy the sites and aromas, and view Illuminations.
Then, throughout the rest of our trip we may spend a morning there, then afternoon to evening another day.
What I guess I'm saying is that we enjoy it more as a vacation spot than park! We only need one day at HS and AK, of course need lots of time for MK and EPCOT fills the rest of our days!
I'll be curious to hear if you enjoy it more on this 3rd trip since you've probably gotten to ride all the attractions in your previous trips.

DNS
02-24-2008, 11:08 AM
I love all of Epcot, but World Showcase is easily my favorite part. I also love that there is so much to do there. The entertainment around World Showcase is so much fun to watch. Also the music in Future World is some of the best in all of WDW.

ltam16
02-24-2008, 11:20 AM
We love Epcot. We like all the things to do in Future World. Loved making the Robots last time. We also love Ellen's Energy Ride although maybe that was because of the heat and the ac was great! Liked imagination and sending everybody emails. Liked the land ride and my kids loved making choc chip cookies. Our first time we didn't realize there were all these hidden things to do!

We also enjoy the mask making in World Showcase.

It is definitely a slower pace for us than the other parks. Not so much racing to the next ride but taking our time and enjoying things. Of course I find it educational. My kids just think its fun!

kakn7294
02-24-2008, 11:40 AM
We love exploring the countries and doing things that those rushing by the fronts only often don't see. We enjoy looking at the waterfall in Canada, the maze garden in the UK, the train in Germany, the little museums in Morocco, Norway (in the church), and China, and the beautiful gardens in Japan and China. We enjoy poking through all the gift shops, even if we don't buy anything. We also enjoy the music - especially Off Kilter and the Voices of Liberty. My girls love the real cars on display in Test Track and they love the aquariums of Living Seas. Of course, we enjoy all the rides as well. Epcot isn't going to be everyone's favorite park and it's not ours (we love MK best) but we still love Epcot as well.

wendy*darling
02-24-2008, 11:54 AM
I love all of Epcot, but World Showcase is easily my favorite part. I also love that there is so much to do there. The entertainment around World Showcase is so much fun to watch. Also the music in Future World is some of the best in all of WDW.
We feel the same way. :mickey:
Future World is fun and has great rides- but World Showcase just takes you away.

The LIVE entertainment in Epcot is fantastic. It is scheduled- so pick up a Times Guide as you enter. There are young acrobats in China, the drummers in Japan, the British Invasion in the UK, Off Kilter in Canada- actually every country has something live going on during each day. The World Showcase Players are hilarious!

The food is yummy! You have fast food and a great table service place in each country. Snacks everywhere.

You can SHOP! Every country has a great shop (or several) to browse through. Some are huge- like Japan or China. Others are smaller but still very interesting.

There are rides, music, movies, but most of all PEOPLE. The CMs in the World Showcase are from the country they represent. Take time to talk to them They love telling you about their country- and learning about where you are from too.

And nighttime is entirely different than daytime. The atmosphere is just perfect. Illuminations can't be beat. But just walking around WS at night- there is nothing more peaceful and relaxing (even with thousands of people all around you ;)).

You can eat around the World, drink around the World, visit around the World or just wander, relax and sight see - all without leaving Florida!

dumbo ears
02-24-2008, 02:40 PM
well I think that the best way to experience Epcot is to take your time walking around world showcase and go through each pavillion and look at everything. Then you definitely need to ride soarin and test track. The waits for both rides are usually long but just get a fastpass. Also ride spaceship earth, it was just redone and so far there have been pretty good reviews about it.

BelleLovesTheBeast
02-24-2008, 08:19 PM
Our favorite part of Epcot is World Showcase. It is even better once the sun sets. It is beautiful then. We like taking our time. We grab snacks and drinks along the way while we shop and talk to the people. We try to find something different to try each time.

Donald A
02-24-2008, 09:11 PM
EPCOT is very unique and my second favorite after the Magic Kigdom. I think the dining choices (table and counter service) at EPCOT knock all the other parks out of the water.

#1donaldfan
02-24-2008, 09:38 PM
We only do a few things at EC then move on. We've been around the showcase several, several times and have missed A LOT I'm sure, but we are just "under impressed" with what is there. Maybe it's that our kids age has something to do with it. Maybe it's the time of year we go (SUMMER) and it's extrememly hot and we just want to not have to walk so much. We love the main rides and some of the eateries, but for the most part it's a 1/2 day park and maybe near the end of the trip another 1/2 "dayer"........it just can't compare the MK and AK !!!!!!

disneyworld55925592
02-24-2008, 09:55 PM
soarin makes future world a bit better now! i must say my favorite part of epcot is the world showcase, if you walk around and really take it all in it can be very cool. Shopping and eating all the different foods from aroudn the world is a great experiance for us!:number1:

Polynesian Dweller
02-24-2008, 10:04 PM
A lot depends on what you are looking for in the parks. If its rides, rides and more rides then Epcot is going to be down the list. Its more about atmosphere, experiencing different things, the restaurants, the countries, Food& WIne Festival, Flower Show etc. than rides though it has a couple of good one's in Future World.

I also agree that the more you go to WDW the more you are likely going to prefer Epcot. YOu discover that it is a very different theme park from any other and its charm and appeal is in that and you discover that with time.

tjstrike
02-25-2008, 12:37 AM
Yeah, I think for us, the thing that does it for us at epcot is all the little shows in the the world showcase. The 2 guys in france that do the chair balancing act is awesome. The shows in Japan are cool too !! The only thing I dislike about epcot is innoventions.

ilovemyjj31
02-25-2008, 01:43 AM
The best thing about EPCOT is trying to get to every country, and getting 1 food item!!!
Last trip we got grand marnier drink in France, Kaki Gori in Japan, Beirgarten in Germany, nachoes in Mexico, and i forget what else, but we tried..it seems impossible, but its the funnest thing for my family to do!!:mickey:

Mackflava99
02-25-2008, 09:53 AM
Epcot has alot of good features that get overlooked, mainly because people set their expectaions a little differently , especially vs. Magic Kingdom.

Test Track, Soarin, Universe of Energy, and Mission Space are all cool rides. totally worth the admission themselves.
The land and SSE are informative
Journey to imagination is great for kids.

- Then the world showcase is something much different. You have to have an open mind and want to experience what they represent. Taste foods, look at the buidings and talk to the people. The movies in Canada, China, France and morocco are all well done. Not too long but very informative- The american experience is a great show.
Norway and Mexico have rides also-

Is ot comparable to MK for yound kids? probably not- BUT what is? But is it a terrific place to open your mind a little and give tem a different experience/ yes it is.

JerseyDad
02-25-2008, 11:13 AM
....from my perspective, I think the real appeal of Epcot is the diversity of what you can see and do.

There is the amusement park aspect with the rides such as Test Track, Mission Space, and Soarin'.

There is the educational values of seeing new things...Innoventions, Universe of Energy, Living with the Land...etc.

...and I think, mostly for me and my family, there is the attraction of the World Showcase with all the different countries that are represented. That experience alone allows you to immerse yourself within the culture of another country, it's food, crafts, art....and oh...did I mention...FOOD (particularly during the Food & Wine Festival).

I can honestly say that we all enjoy Epcot (especially my 11 yr old daughter....whose all time favorite attraction is Spaceship Earth.[we'll see how that holds up now that it's changed]....and it's also the most relaxing of al the WDW parks.

adoptionislove
02-25-2008, 11:26 AM
Yea, I see what you mean. I think it is starting to look dated and needs an overhaul in the FW area, NUT, I do like the WS part. Going to all the countries is fun. The grounds are so pretty all over there and we will be there on the first day of the flower show so it should be georgeous!!!

Gooftroop5
02-25-2008, 12:27 PM
IMO I like EPCOT because its the nicest place to relax. Its not as fast paced or as Hot as the other parks. The rides are longer more areas to get in out of the heat. I love wandering the countries. There is always something interesting you can find there. Even when its crowded the crowds are spread out so you don't feel crowded.

I'm sure you are not alone in not caring for EPCOT. I haven't been in a few years so I hope I still enjoy it. I know a lot of what I liked changed and has closed.

I prefer EPCOT and MK. I view AK & DHS as 1/2 day parks usually followd by a trip to EPCOT in the afternoon to cool down.

This year will be different. Since we are going to see the Christmas decorations. I don't think I changed your mind but that's ok its crowded enough if I convince people then I'll have a bigger crowd to deal with...lol.

RoosMomKanga
02-25-2008, 02:18 PM
EC has always been our favorite, but I had to convince my sister/her family of this one also (they loved the rides, but not WS). Here's what I did...If you take a little time to plan it, you can see wonderful entertainment in every country at the WS (I can tell you I didn't plan for entertainment this past trip and in 3 visits to EC WS we only "happened upon" entertainment twice- plan it). Just Google SteveSoares and you'll find weekly schedules for all the entertainment (very accurate). I reviewed all the things I thought we'd like, and picked the best day and time to start our journey around the WS. We saw entertainment at every pavillion, those that wanted to watched for as long as they wanted and those that didn't want to shopped. The kids all had a great time; we saw bands, comedians, acrobats, singers, musicians, etc. and the kids got involved in several of the shows. It's also the place we always pick to eat most of our main meals. :number1:

lightyearfan
02-25-2008, 02:31 PM
well me and dw were in the same boat as you, as each time we went to Epcot we thought whats the big deal. for some reason allot has changed over the past 3 trips, as it's become 1 of our favorite parks, maybe it's because we are now going to WDW solo (dd all grown up and married), and we're not getting pulled in every direction, maybe it's because we can now enjoy which ever TS resturant that we want to go to, or perhaps we can now take our time and enjoy the park as we would like to?? all i know is that me and dw really enjoy Epcot and we now look forward in going, hope this helps

Victor

#1donaldfan
02-25-2008, 03:07 PM
OK 'yall need to stop...... your talking me into liking it more and more......actually, after reading all these posts I want to go to EC right now.......:mickey:

LauraF
02-25-2008, 03:23 PM
I'll preface this by saying I'm a geek and I was the one kid in class who never minded those "educational field trips." :cool:

I'm a very curious person and I like finding out about things work and why they work, so rides like Test Track appeal, whereas ones like Soarin' totally bore me.

I love to eat and Epcot has the best places in ANY park to get a wide variety of food.

Hands-on experiences - Living with the Land, Living Seas, Imagination, Innoventions - are so much more FUN than sitting on a ride, no matter how much of an adrenaline rush I get afterwards. (I love big rides, but I love *doing* more.)

WS is simply awesome. I just wander around and soak in the atmosphere and enjoy being able to learn more about other cultures. I like to chat up the CMs in some of the shops as they're often exchange students and just as curious about us we are about them. It also helps that between myself and my BF, we can speak the languages of four of the pavilions with reasonable accuracy. (No I'm not including Canada, the US or the UK in that!:D) I can't get enough of WS and prefer to spend most of my time there.

It's a large park and it's a lot easier to get around without crowds. It's a benefit that most people think it boring.

Illuminations is so moving, no matter how many times I've seen it.

The shops have much neater stuff than your standard Mickey t-shirt or ears.

FenwayGirl
02-26-2008, 02:55 PM
Epcot is my #1 park. My family that consists of little ones (6-11) and older ones (25-30) LOVE to spend as much time there as possible. On our last trip we spend 3 day out of 9 there. We love the atmosphere and the fact that the park is so spread out that it never feels crowded. The clean lines of the buildings along with the water fountains and topiaries make for a very relaxing day. Another huge draw for us is the World Showcase. We try to catch as many shows as possible. We also "eat our way around the world" We buy snacks or meals in every country. Always trying to buy something that we have not had before. Future World also offers some great attractions (ie SSE, TT, The Living Seas, Soarin)

WelshieLover
02-26-2008, 05:07 PM
I think EPCOT is an either "I love it" or "I just don't get it" park. It has always been my husband's favorite park. I just found out recently that it is the favorite of my 2 teenage boys. I think the reason is that it is the first park we ever took them too. When they were 2 and 4 we stayed over at the Beach Club and so it made sense that it was the first park we saw. It was an uncrowded October morning and they had it to themselves. They ran around exploring all the nooks and crannies of World Showcase. I have the best pictures of that first day. For me however I love the Magic Kingdom or the Studios better. There is something about the the fun of those parks that I enjoy more.

AeroRnRer
02-26-2008, 06:55 PM
Thank you for all the nice responses. Looking at many of your answers there is a common theme...wander & explore in a more relaxing atmosphere.

On our previous trips we have had our sons with us...last time they were mid/young teens. This time they will not be able to come with us. It will be a little strange without them, but I have a feeling we will be able to relax and enjoy more adult things without hearing complaints. :cool:

I'm looking forward to seeing many of the things you all have mentioned here as I haven't seen many of those yet.