PDA

View Full Version : Twinkie Tiramisu??

brewcrew26
02-24-2008, 07:55 AM
DH wants to try the Twinkie Tiramisu at Pop Century. He read about it in a guidebook as one of the best snax in the world. Do they still have it? What is it?

jszczur5
02-27-2008, 12:10 AM
Basically it's torn up twinkies (instead of lady's fingers) with a bit of coffee flavouring, mascarpone cheese, whipped cream and chocolate chips. We've eaten a lot of it the past two years (10 days of DDP, at least one meal a day at POP each year). We really got sick of it.
I've been working on our ADR's for this year, and my hubby has already warned me - no more Twinkie Tiramisu for him.
It's very tasty the first few times, but I think we just overdid it. Truth be told, we are so sick of all food by the time we get home each year that we're dreaming of tomato soup and grilled cheese sandwiches.

Jared
02-27-2008, 12:23 AM
I searched the Internet for updated menus, and they all suggest Everything Pop still offers the Twinkie tiramisu.

:tasty:

brewcrew26
02-27-2008, 11:47 AM
Is it worth taking a bus all the way to Pop for and using a snack credit?

MickeyChick
02-27-2008, 01:39 PM
I have the recipe in one of the Disney cookbooks if you want to skip it at the World and make it at home. I didn't think it was really anything that special.

jszczur5
02-27-2008, 11:49 PM
Is it worth taking a bus all the way to Pop for and using a snack credit?

No.

TBY2225
02-28-2008, 10:31 AM
They must run out of it very early. The past 3 trips we have taken and stayed at the Pop they have never had any by the time we got back from the parks! I still haven't been able to try it!

Figment!
02-28-2008, 10:57 AM
If you would like to try it at home, we have the recipe in our Recipes (http://www.intercot.com/discussion/../infocentral/dining/recipes/default.asp) section of INTERCOT info Central:
Twinkle Tiramisu
Pop Century Resort

The Twinkies in this fun dessert are sure to put a twinkle in Santa’s eye!

Ingredients:
1 cup sugar
2/3 cup strong brewed coffee
1/4 cup brandy or additional brewed coffee
16 oz. mascarpone cheese
2-1/2 cups heavy cream
2 tsp. vanilla extract
10 Twinkies, cut into 1/2”-thick slices
M&M’s

Method:
In small pot over low heat, combine 1/3 cup water and 1/2 cup sugar. Cook, stirring occasionally, until sugar is dissolved; cool. Stir in coffee and brandy; reserve.

Place mascarpone in large bowl; reserve. In another bowl at medium speed, beat 1-1/2 cups cream, 1/3 cup sugar and vanilla until soft peaks form. Fold cream mixture into mascarpone.

Place layer of Twinkies on bottom of 8” spring-form plan; drizzle with half of coffee mixture. Spread with half of mascarpone mixture. Repeat with remaining Twinkies, coffee mixture and mascarpone. Cover with plastic wrap. Refrigerate 8–24 hours. Remove side of pan.

At medium speed, beat remaining cream and sugar until soft peaks form. Spread over cake and side. Decorate with M&M’s.

About this recipe:
Servings: 10; Calories: 631; Protein: 6 g; Fat: 48 g (27 g saturated); Chol.: 160 mg; Carbs.: 47 g; Sodium: 249 mg; Fiber: 0 g.;
Sugar: 33 g.

Kitchen time: 35 minutes / Total time: 8 hours, 35 minutes

SBETigg
02-28-2008, 11:10 AM
A recent thread suggested this has been removed from the offerings due to Disney's healthy new outlook on food. I'm not sure you can still find it there.

brewcrew26
02-28-2008, 12:04 PM
If you would like to try it at home, we have the recipe in our Recipes (http://www.intercot.com/discussion/../infocentral/dining/recipes/default.asp) section of INTERCOT info Central:

Ooh, thanks Figment. I think I'll just try making it at home -- get the anticipation up for the trip instead. I'm not a huge twinkie fan myself so we'd really only been going for one. As much as I love DH, a twinkie is a long way off a busy Disney schedule.

A recent thread suggested this has been removed from the offerings due to Disney's healthy new outlook on food. I'm not sure you can still find it there.

But those turkey legs are still everywhere. A huge hunk of oil-dripping meat really screams "healthy outlook" to me.

SBETigg
02-28-2008, 12:14 PM
But those turkey legs are still everywhere. A huge hunk of oil-dripping meat really screams "healthy outlook" to me.

I completely agree with you on that, and the fact that still have plenty of fatty options. It's as if they are being selectively healthy. But I think the goal is to eliminate or cut down on trans fats and Twinkies have them, turkey legs and burgers don't.