PDA

View Full Version : Is Spaceship Earth more accessible?

5togetherWDW
02-23-2008, 08:49 PM
With the refurb of Spaceship Earth completed, I am wondering -- is it any more accesible, now? We were hoping when they were updating that they would add a wheelchair access car, or - at least - improve the load. I've read about the changes to the ride -- but heard no such access changes mentioned.
We all have enjoyed the ride in the past, but it has been such a hard transfer for my Mom. We are hoping she'll be able to ride when we go in the spring . . . .
Also, if there isn't a special ride vehicle -- do the new screens being mentioned affect the transfer?

ElenitaB
02-23-2008, 10:41 PM
We had the opportunity to experience the "new" Spaceship Earth on Friday, the 15th. There is a small door marked with the "handicapped" sign, on the side of Spaceship Earth that faces the Guest Relations building. You enter there, directly into the post-ride area. There's a sign on the right side of this area near the general ride exit, and a CM there takes your name and the number of people in your party. You are then invited to sit in a special waiting area until your name is called. Groups of guests with special needs and their parties then are accompanied to "back door" the ride, in the area where other guests are getting off. It's all quite civilized. I did not see any special ride vehicles but I would believe that something has been done to accomodate guests in wheelchairs. I know that that really doesn't answer your question, but I hope it helps a little bit. :blush:

5togetherWDW
02-24-2008, 10:58 PM
Thank you for the info. What you described sounds similar to what they had before -- though perhaps more organized.

Before, we waited until our turn, then went through the exit, up the steep ramp (while others came down into us) then, transfered -- usually with the ride slowed. The transfer into the car was hard for her to manuever.

If anyone has any other information on if the vehicle is more accessible / if this part has been improved - we would appreciate it.

Thanks again

Disney Lynn
02-26-2008, 09:01 AM
Having recently ridden the new ride, I don't think anything has been changed to make it more accessible. The vehicles and the moving belt appear to be the same (except for the addition of the computer screen). It did slow down a few times when we rode- I assumed to allow someone to enter more easily. However, it never stopped, nor did I see any wheelchair-carrying vehicles ("space ships" LOL).

The handicapped entry is in the same area as before. And they are apparently still limiting the number of non-walkers that are allowed on the ride at one time (for evacuation reasons).

For exact info, I suggest contacting WDW directly (and ask for a current Booklet for those with Disabilities) (if they still have that).