PDA

View Full Version : FastPass Return Window Expiration

m&mzmom
02-23-2008, 03:32 PM
:)Hi Guys - I read somewhere that Disney has a policy to allow you to use Fast Passes any time after the return window starts, even if it is after the time expiration on the pass. Does anybody know about this or has anyone used an expired FastPass?? Just curious.

Ian
02-23-2008, 03:57 PM
Yeah, we do it all the time. I've never once had a Cast Member tell me no.

DisneyDudet
02-23-2008, 07:46 PM
I think you "can" but you really aren't "allowed," if you know what I mean?

IF you use the FP in the way it is designed, you limit your time in line. If you and many others return after your time, at any time you want, the line ends up being longer.

They tend to be VERY lax on this at DLR, and when I was there, the FP lines were probably about twice as long as I ever experienced at WDW.

If you come after the window has expired every once in a while, I can understand, but if you PLAN on not returning, I find it inconsiderate.

DisneyGiant
02-23-2008, 08:03 PM
Yeah, we do it all the time. I've never once had a Cast Member tell me no.

Same here.

And they must be "allowed", because we are always allowed to do it!

DisneyDudet
02-23-2008, 08:10 PM
Same here.

And they must be "allowed", because we are always allowed to do it!

I meant "allowed" as the CMs just do what they like.

This is encouraging bending the rules. CMs allow people to do lots of things that aren't "allowed."

DisneyFanaticDargon
02-23-2008, 09:21 PM
I was not a big fan of letting guests do this when I was a CM but I did it anyway to avoid angry guests. Although it doesn't really help. A lot of guests don't really understand the problems this causes.

Here's the issue: there are a fixed number of FastPasses distributed for a particular time frame. Once they are all distributed it moves onto the next time frame. The amount distributed is an amount as such that should those people and only those people be allowed in at that time frame, the lines should merge smoothly. Unfortunately, this only works in theory. Because of the fact that FastPass queue gets priority over Standby, when we let in guests whose time frames have already expired, they add to the already large mass of people in FastPass who decided to come back the very minute their FastPass became valid. This in turn leads to Standby waiting MUCH longer than they have to in order to merge with FastPass because we have to let so many more of them through while Standby just sits there in order to stop the FastPass line from extending outside the ride entrance (which it tends to do anyway when a million people clog the entrance waiting for their FastPasses to become valid).

So even though logistically letting people in outside their time frame only causes problems that guests in FastPass don't even see (because, hey, they're getting to use their FastPass right?), this will probably never get corrected because too many guests would complain otherwise. It's become such common knowledge via word of mouth that attractions will take "expired" FastPasses that it would be VERY difficult to enforce anything to the contrary.

My thoughts on the topic? If you can't commit to being back in the window when that FastPass tells you to, or at least be 99% certain you can, don't get it.

jszczur5
02-24-2008, 12:50 AM
I have raced from one end of the park to another in order to use a fastpass within the valid time frame. I don't think it would be fair for people to intentionally misuse the return time. A couple of minutes is one thing. Anything later than half an hour should be unacceptable. This sounds like deliberate cheating.

Funforall
02-24-2008, 01:01 AM
I can't remember the last time we were late for a FP. We always end up watching the clock to see when we can get it.

I know it sounds strange but, there almost needs to be a line for the people waiting in line for the FP line to open up for their time slot.

Main Street Jim
02-24-2008, 07:56 AM
I agree with both sides here. Yes, it's permitted, but not encouraged.

Think about it. Sometimes, because attractions are mechanical and electronic, you come back for your FP return time and the attraction is down. Or let's say you got caught up on the other side of the park because of the parade. Or your dinner reservations fall right in the middle of your return time. We'll *allow* you to come back after that FP return window. :thumbsup:

Disney Lynn
02-24-2008, 08:47 AM
Just this past month, we did see a CM refuse to let a family enter with an expired FP (at Peter Pan in the MK). I didn't see the actual time on the FP, but based on the conversation, the passes had expired many hours before. The CM showed them where to enter for the Stand-By line (and they were very unhappy- you know how long that line can be sometimes!) The parents kept saying that all the other CM's let them enter well after the expired time, so I assumed they never even tried to get back in time- but always assumed they could get in whenever they wanted.

If we don't think we can get back in time, we usually give our FP to someone heading in that direction.

#1donaldfan
02-24-2008, 08:53 AM
There you have it....don't count on it, but it happens. If you use this "system" of using expired FP's and once in a while a CM turns you away, don't get mad, it is the rules and "policy" will always prevail.

laward32
02-24-2008, 12:39 PM
What's the point of having the FP then. It was set up a certain way for a reason---to keep EVERYTHING flowing. If everybody does this, no wonder the stand by lines take so long. I agree with the previous posters, if you know you can't be back in that time frame, don't get the FP. Why would someone get a fastpass knowing they have dinner rezzies during that time? I agree that it is very inconsiderate, especially on the rides that the FP's run out.
And for you who get mad when a CM finally refuses to let you in on an expired FP, shame on you, you know that that is the rule and you should just KINDLY walk away. The CM is just doing his/her job. I don't understand these people who know the policy, but try to find away around it and when they get caught, actually have the nerve to take it out on the poor CM!!
Sorry my rant is over.:thedolls::mickey:

dumbo ears
02-24-2008, 02:37 PM
ya ive used a fastpass after my scheduled time a few times. As long as your not early u can get on

PAYROLL PRINCESS
02-24-2008, 09:12 PM
As Jim said, there are times you return during your window and the ride may be down so they usually do allow you to ride after the expiration time. We've had this happen and have never had a problem using it later in the day. Once upon a time you could even use it on another day but we asked last time and they told us no. I think we had left and jumped to another park so hadn't made it back to that ride at a later time.

disneyworld55925592
02-24-2008, 10:00 PM
yea its no problem, we were told. I mean if you could only come within the time frame theres not much room for mistake. what if your lunch takes a little longer then expected? no problem, its disney world! They are their to make everything as easy as possible for you to have a great vacation!

disneyworld55925592
02-24-2008, 10:03 PM
What's the point of having the FP then. It was set up a certain way for a reason---to keep EVERYTHING flowing. If everybody does this, no wonder the stand by lines take so long. I agree with the previous posters, if you know you can't be back in that time frame, don't get the FP. Why would someone get a fastpass knowing they have dinner rezzies during that time? I agree that it is very inconsiderate, especially on the rides that the FP's run out.
And for you who get mad when a CM finally refuses to let you in on an expired FP, shame on you, you know that that is the rule and you should just KINDLY walk away. The CM is just doing his/her job. I don't understand these people who know the policy, but try to find away around it and when they get caught, actually have the nerve to take it out on the poor CM!!
Sorry my rant is over.:thedolls::mickey:

But I have a question then. Why would you wait in a very long line when you don't have to. Just get a fastpass and go back at your conveniance thats why they have it? If people dont like the slow moving line then get a fast pass and don't wait at all?

DisneyFanaticDargon
02-24-2008, 10:11 PM
But I have a question then. Why would you wait in a very long line when you don't have to. Just get a fastpass and go back at your conveniance thats why they have it? If people dont like the slow moving line then get a fast pass and don't wait at all?

Well for starters, if we let them in past their window then the fastpass line DOES get backed up and lo and behold, you're waiting in line anyway. That's why it needs to be enforced so that the system works the way it was INTENDED to work.

disneyworld55925592
02-24-2008, 10:26 PM
but i've been there during the busyest times, and it always works. i was just there during presidents week and the fastpass worked great because everyone seems to wait an hour for all the rides? thats what i mean i just dont understand why people stand in line when they dont have too they could simply just get a fastpass. its like people dont get the concept, because nooo one was in the fast pass lines but the standby lines had hour waits.

merlinmagic4
02-25-2008, 06:53 AM
but i've been there during the busyest times, and it always works. i was just there during presidents week and the fastpass worked great because everyone seems to wait an hour for all the rides? thats what i mean i just dont understand why people stand in line when they dont have too they could simply just get a fastpass. its like people dont get the concept, because nooo one was in the fast pass lines but the standby lines had hour waits.

Well, it is possible that they are sold out, the return time is beyond when they will be in the parks, or they just got a fastpass for another ride and can't get a second one yet :)

SurferStitch
02-25-2008, 07:11 AM
We don't use expired FP's. We check the time now and then, and make sure we don't miss our return window. It's really not that difficult to do so.

If we do miss it (usually because we forgot about it), we either get another FP, or do that attraction on another day.

There's an allotted time window for a reason.

Von-Drake
02-25-2008, 07:46 AM
We have never missed our Fast Pass Time Window. We have always made it within the time frame, even if it means a fast Sprint form the other side of the park.
:bolt:

Ian
02-25-2008, 08:12 AM
Just this past month, we did see a CM refuse to let a family enter with an expired FP (at Peter Pan in the MK). I didn't see the actual time on the FP, but based on the conversation, the passes had expired many hours before. The CM showed them where to enter for the Stand-By line (and they were very unhappy- you know how long that line can be sometimes!) The parents kept saying that all the other CM's let them enter well after the expired time, so I assumed they never even tried to get back in time- but always assumed they could get in whenever they wanted.

There you have it....don't count on it, but it happens. If you use this "system" of using expired FP's and once in a while a CM turns you away, don't get mad, it is the rules and "policy" will always prevail.Actually, I would be very mad and here's why ... inconsistency, which is the bane of customer service.

I expect a predictable experience when I'm paying for a service. If 90% of the CM's say it's fine to use your FP after it expires and 10% say it isn't, that isn't my fault. Disney needs to get their people in line.

If anyone ever turned me down, I'd definitely complain to a manager. Not because it's that big a deal, but because Disney can't have their cake and eat it, too.

And as far as the argument that using them after the window is up somehow upsets the delicate balance of Fastpass return times .... baloney. Do you know how many people get Fastpasses and never use them?

For every one person who comes back after his or her window is up, there's probably 3 people that didn't use their Fastpasses at all. It more than balances out.

SurferStitch
02-25-2008, 09:56 AM
If anyone ever turned me down, I'd definitely complain to a manager. Not because it's that big a deal, but because Disney can't have their cake and eat it, too.

Isn't it easier to just do a tiny amount of time management and just show up on time? That way, you don't have to work yourself up to be ready for the one time that you may get turned away.

I'm having way too much fun in WDW to worry about complaining to a manager about one of their employees doing their job correctly, especially when I didn't show up on time for a FP.

I'm not sure what you meant about Disney having its cake and eating it, too. It kinda sounds like you're the one doing the eating.

Von-Drake
02-25-2008, 10:15 AM
Isn't it easier to just do a tiny amount of time management and just show up on time? That way, you don't have to work yourself up to be ready for the one time that you may get turned away...

Go to agree with this one. I do not want to worry about anything more than I have to while on vacations.

Ian
02-25-2008, 10:24 AM
Isn't it easier to just do a tiny amount of time management and just show up on time? That way, you don't have to work yourself up to be ready for the one time that you may get turned away.

I'm having way too much fun in WDW to worry about complaining to a manager about one of their employees doing their job correctly, especially when I didn't show up on time for a FP.

I'm not sure what you meant about Disney having its cake and eating it, too. It kinda sounds like you're the one doing the eating.It doesn't surprise me that you don't "get it" ...

My point is Disney needs to be consistent. It's either a rule or it's not a rule. You can't have a rule that you just enforce some of the time, because you're too lazy to bother overseeing your Cast Members. That's what I meant about having their cake and eating it, too. If they're not willing to expend the energy to make sure their Cast are actually holding guests accountable for obeying the rules, then they have to be okay with the fact that guests are going to "break the rules."

And in regards to your "time management" comment ... I don't feel the need to have "time management" skills when I'm on vacation. As I've said before, if Disney opts not to enforce the rule, I'm certainly not going to waste my time trying to follow it.

Von-Drake
02-25-2008, 10:34 AM
if Disney opts not to enforce the rule, I'm certainly not going to waste my time trying to follow it.

I would think this might be where one's personal ethics and the honor system come into play.
Kind of like speeding while driving, if I choose to speed I know the cop might pick me to give a ticket too regardless of how many other people are keeping up with me or even passing me out there. Just because a rule is not enforced, does not mean it should not be followed. Disney does not enforce not being able to hold say 10 places in a line for the rest of my party, but I think a lot of people would consider this unacceptable.

DisneyFanaticDargon
02-25-2008, 10:51 AM
It doesn't surprise me that you don't "get it" ...

My point is Disney needs to be consistent. It's either a rule or it's not a rule. You can't have a rule that you just enforce some of the time, because you're too lazy to bother overseeing your Cast Members. That's what I meant about having their cake and eating it, too. If they're not willing to expend the energy to make sure their Cast are actually holding guests accountable for obeying the rules, then they have to be okay with the fact that guests are going to "break the rules."

And in regards to your "time management" comment ... I don't feel the need to have "time management" skills when I'm on vacation. As I've said before, if Disney opts not to enforce the rule, I'm certainly not going to waste my time trying to follow it.

First of all, unless you've worked at an attraction with fastpass day in and day out for more than a week, I really take offense to your calling the whole delicate balance of the fastpass system baloney. I cannot stress enough the fact that, YES, it makes a very big difference. I can't count how many times I had guests in standby get belligerent with me because I had to continually let FastPass through while holding up standby for 10+ minutes so that the FP line would die down. Unless you've been there, seen it, and worked it, you really have no room to make a judgment call like that.

Secondly, thanks for complaining to management when even we can't get a straight answer on what the policy is. Last I heard we were supposed to be accepting them past the point because that goes "above and beyond guest expectations", yet when FastPass gets backed up out the door, it suddenly becomes a ride efficiency issue because apparently we're not putting them through fast enough.

Efficiency? PSHAW. I know for a fact someone told me we could let expired fast passes through, and be efficient enough to never have the line get backed up. Never saw it happen once. You let them in after they've expired and suddenly we're having to listen to FastPass moan because they have to wait in a huge fastpass line (created by letting in expired fastpasses along with the general rush that comes from a new time-frame opening), and listen to Standby moan because they have to wait even longer for the FastPass line to clear out before they can finally get in.

Like I said before, if you can't commit to being back on time, don't get it. It exists as a tool for people to make their day a little easier and enjoy a few other attractions while they wait for their FastPass to become valid, not as a privilege for you to come and bypass the line when you please as long as your time frame has already passed. That's not what it was intended for and quite frankly it's abusing the system.

SurferStitch
02-25-2008, 11:30 AM
It doesn't surprise me that you don't "get it" ...

Wow...that's pretty rude, coming from a moderator. Nice.

And, "I get" what you're trying to say....I just think your explanations are weak.

Gooftroop5
02-25-2008, 12:05 PM
if Disney opts not to enforce the rule, I'm certainly not going to waste my time trying to follow it.

What's the point of having any rules then. I agree we all pay a lot of money to go to Disney but where does it end? We all agree that people that get on rides that they shouldn't be on & get hurt cause they do something stupid its their fault and not Disney however because no one get hurt its ok to blame Disney for not enforcing the rules its ok for everyone not to follow. I've been there when people cut into line which is suppose to be against the rules. Does that mean cause no one says anything to these people I can do it from now on. Maybe I will try it?

Its simple you get a fast pass use it the right time. Yes ALL CM should follow the same rule. And which person are you trying to get in trouble the one that is enforcing the rule or the one that is following the rule. Its not really a rule thing its BEING CONSIDERATE to EVERYONE else that paid the big bucks to go to Disney too. I've been in the FP line at the right time and had to wait a long time because the line was extremely long. This was even more aggrevating cause isn't that the point of the FP lane. I'm not suppose to have to wait.

Ian
02-25-2008, 12:18 PM
Secondly, thanks for complaining to management when even we can't get a straight answer on what the policy is.Thank you. This is my point exactly. It's not written in stone, which is why I really don't care.

Wow...that's pretty rude, coming from a moderator. Nice.You may want to read your original response to my post before you throw stones.

You reap what you sow ...

SurferStitch
02-25-2008, 12:38 PM
You may want to read your original response to my post before you throw stones.

You reap what you sow ...

Hey, no problem...I'm thick skinned. Like I said before...nothing offends me.

I just didn't have to stoop to a lower level and get personal by making a dig about your intelligence.

I simply made the point that you seem to be doing exactly the same kind of thing that you're blaming WDW of. You don't want to make the effort to get to your FP on time, yet you still want to ride after it expires (there's a rule, and you're not following it...just like Disney not enforcing that same rule consistently). That sounds a lot like having your cake and eating it, too. Disney seems more like they are just trying to cater to you and others like you so as not to upset them (and their wallets).

Like it or not, but that's how it sounds.

Oh well, I'm outta this one. It's obvious the only correct opinion here is yours, so I'll exit.

I'm just amazed this thread hasn't been shut down yet.

WDWdriver
02-25-2008, 12:39 PM
Okay, I guess I must offer my two cents worth here. I work at Expedition: Everest and Kali River Rapids. I am often the guy who is either checking your FastPass ticket return time or collecting it in the queue. Regardless of how you feel about this issue, please be tolerant and kind to the CMs. The FastPass Return and FastPass Merge positions are the least desirable places to work. DisneyFanaticDargon is correct when he talks about Fastpass moan or Standby moan. We get both, even when the system is working just fine. Some guests are hostile and abusive.

There has been a lot of discussion here about FastPass "rules". In truth, there aren't any rules about accepting late returns. We almost always do it, simply because it is a positive experience for the guests, as opposed to a negative when a guest is turned away after arriving late due, perhaps, to no fault of his own. It can take a lot longer to get from one side of a park to another than some guests have anticipated. I honestly don't believe that a great number of guests take unfair advantage of us by deliberately arriving late.

I'm looking at an Everest FastPass. Printed on the back are the words "Cannot accept early arrivals. Valid only on date printed".

It says nothing about late arrivals.

Ian
02-25-2008, 12:46 PM
Oh well, I'm outta this one. It's obvious the only correct opinion here is yours, so I'll exit.Sorry you feel that way. Kinda feels like the opposite is the case to me, but whatever.

I agree with you ... I'm outta this one ...

DisneyFanaticDargon
02-25-2008, 01:05 PM
We almost always do it, simply because it is a positive experience for the guests, as opposed to a negative when a guest is turned away after arriving late due, perhaps, to no fault of his own. It can take a lot longer to get from one side of a park to another than some guests have anticipated. I honestly don't believe that a great number of guests take unfair advantage of us by deliberately arriving late.

I agree with you on this for the most part. If the guest is a few minutes past their window I don't think that's a big deal at all. Especially if it's obvious they made a serious hike to get back. What irks me is when they come by with a FastPass from 4 or 5 hours ago which begs the question, did they really get held up, or were they just hoarding FastPasses when they could get them and then used them all later in the day at the same time?

Gooftroop5
02-25-2008, 01:08 PM
There has been a lot of discussion here about FastPass "rules". In truth, there aren't any rules about accepting late returns. We almost always do it, simply because it is a positive experience for the guests, as opposed to a negative when a guest is turned away after arriving late due, perhaps, to no fault of his own. It can take a lot longer to get from one side of a park to another than some guests have anticipated. I honestly don't believe that a great number of guests take unfair advantage of us by deliberately arriving late.

Thank you for giving us this information. This isn't directed at you its at Disney's policy on the FP in general. Please don't take it as I'm attacking you. Cause I'm not.

Since I never knew that they accepted them after the time frame (never had this problem always made it back in my time frame I know how long it takes to get from one part of the park to the other that is why I do'nt cross the entire park.) I was never one to take advantage of this. Which is probably why a lot of people don't. I can agree with others up to 30 minutes pass but any longer is being rude to everyone else that took the time to care and make sure they used their FP correctly. If there is no time limit why give an hour time frame why not put "anytime after this time is fine"

Even knowing this I don't think I would. I'm all for having the best time at WDW but not at the expense of others either. I'm going with 15 people this year. I know I would not be happy to see a large group as this all show up with expired FP. Nor would I do this to someone else. I would just shrug my shoulders and say "oh well I missed it". Which I'm sure a lot of people do.

Of course this will probably cause a lot more people to do this knowing now that they can.

Oh well see me on time for my FP. :mickey:

Seasonscraps
02-25-2008, 01:09 PM
This is why I can't stand fast pass and what frustrates me about Disney.

I get how fast pass is supposed to work but since people work the system FP doesn't always work the way it was designed.

And I wish Disney would stand behind their CM's and let them enforce the rules so ALL THE GUESTS enjoy their vacation, not just the ones that make a stink when they are asked to follow the rules.

I have a FP ticket that says guests are to return during the time printed on the front of the ticket. That seems clear to me. But since it doesn't say "ONLY during the time printed" there is somehow room for interpretation. I agree there should be some room for flexibility like ride break downs, but they should be exceptions not the rule.

Scar
02-25-2008, 01:16 PM
I'm looking at an Everest FastPass. Printed on the back are the words "Cannot accept early arrivals. Valid only on date printed".

It says nothing about late arrivals.

I have a FP ticket that says guests are to return during the time printed on the front of the ticket. :confused: Did they change? Are there different tickets for different rides? :confused:

MNNHFLTX
02-25-2008, 01:28 PM
Moderator Warning--

Let's refrain from the bickering and stick to the topic at hand, please.

I'm just amazed this thread hasn't been shut down yet.Shutting down a thread is only done as a last resort. In most cases (as in this one) the original poster is asking a valid question and it would not be fair to them to shut it down without at least trying to determine a valid answer. As is evidenced by the discussion in this thread, there is no clear-cut answer. Points have been well-made that the Fast Pass system probably works better when people return during their designated window. However, if cast members are being told that it's okay (at least in most situations) to accept it after the window, then theoretically no rules are being broken on the part of the guest of the guest if they do. I do agree that cast members have to be given definitive instruction on this policy and then be willing to enforce it, if that is Disney's decision.

Seasonscraps
02-25-2008, 01:40 PM
:confused: Did they change? Are there different tickets for different rides? :confused:

Mine is an older one so maybe they did change them?

MNNHFLTX
02-25-2008, 01:45 PM
:confused: Did they change? Are there different tickets for different rides? :confused:
To be honest, I have never looked at the wording that closely on the Fast Passes for the different rides. I would think it would be the same. :shrug:

Stickey
02-25-2008, 01:45 PM
Returning after your FP time frame is not cheating. Disney policy does not prohibit late returns. FP return time is currently a guideline, not a rule. Strict enforcement of the return time would likely create back-ups at the end of the return time window.

There are many variables that can cause an unintended late return. These include longer than expected wait times for other attractions, ride delays/breakdowns, excessive crowds, restroom lines, and lines at CS locations. It is a responsible and sound customer service policy to allow flexibility with FP return times. Disney should periodically study FP efficiency to determine if changes need to be made.

It is unfortunate that CM's have to deal with abusive guests. There will always be idiots not capable of grasping the FP concept. It is also a problem when groups return BEFORE their FP time and block the FP entrance.

DisneyFanaticDargon
02-25-2008, 02:02 PM
Mine is an older one so maybe they did change them?

As is my understanding, the tickets have been updated since I worked at WDW. They are now larger and perhaps don't have the "During this time frame" statement. I'm visiting WDW next week and as I'm sure at some point or another I will be getting a FastPass I'll check to verify.

Roger's #1 Fan
02-25-2008, 02:04 PM
I'm wondering if this situation may be corrected if they start adding the barcodes to the FP as has been rumored. This would give the CM's an out by having to scan the FP's and then being able to say they are no longer valid (buzzer or red light alert) rather than it being the CM's denial of entry.

BandMan
02-25-2008, 02:55 PM
I'm wondering if this situation may be corrected if they start adding the barcodes to the FP as has been rumored. This would give the CM's an out by having to scan the FP's and then being able to say they are no longer valid (buzzer or red light alert) rather than it being the CM's denial of entry.

The problem comes, as was stated earlier, when a guest has a legitimate reason for being late. While there is no excuse for being rude to a CM, I can understand a guest becoming upset if he/she had waited in a long line for one ride only to be told that his/her FP had expired for another and now he/she has to go to the back of another long line. That would be poor customer service. :humph:

disneyworld55925592
02-25-2008, 04:19 PM
i know intercot is a place for sharing opinions and most of you actually "get it" when it comes to disney. but really its just a magical place and everyone has their own opinions. I would pick one side over the other but thats just the way you do it. Whenever I have returned a fastpass after the time, the person working at disney has smiled and said have a great ride! so instead of everyone saying noo you shoouldnt doo it. lets leave it up to the actually disney staff. its fine by them? so why are you people trying to make it more difficult its disney world you pay big bucks and you should have the time of your life. if you allowed to do it, then do it! whatever i mean if people werent allowed then wouldnt they make that rule?

TBY2225
02-25-2008, 04:30 PM
DH and I got stuck on a ride and therefore were late with our FP return time on another ride. We didn't even have to explain. We just asked if it was ok to still use it and we were told it was fine and it happens all the time.

merlinmagic4
02-25-2008, 04:50 PM
I think the issue is that Disney isn't going to turn people away because some people legitimately get held up at lunch, another ride, etc. It would not be fair to turn them away.

The annoying thing is people who think they can do it all the time with no regard to the window at all. It's the arrogance that gets me.........the "I don't have to follow the rules" (implied or stated) mentality that is destructive.

I for one will continue to try to make my fastpass time for the good of my conscience, the other guests, and my children's watchful eyes.

Meghan
02-25-2008, 07:31 PM
Having previously worked at a Fastpass location as well I guess I can add something to this.

As it was always explained to me by my trainer and managers, allowing guests to enter after their return window was not only acceptable, it was encouraged. The amount of guests actually returning late is so small that I never saw it affect the flow, so why needlessly send people away? All that makes for is a negative guest experience.

In my opinion there is nothing wrong with arriving late. If management gladly accepts Fastpasses later than the return window, it's not breaking the rules is it?

Seasonscraps
02-25-2008, 07:45 PM
Having previously worked at a Fastpass location as well I guess I can add something to this.

As it was always explained to me by my trainer and managers, allowing guests to enter after their return window was not only acceptable, it was encouraged. The amount of guests actually returning late is so small that I never saw it affect the flow, so why needlessly send people away? All that makes for is a negative guest experience.

In my opinion there is nothing wrong with arriving late. If management gladly accepts Fastpasses later than the return window, it's not breaking the rules is it?

I am curious then, why have a return window? Couldn't they just change the system to return after a designated time? It would make it easier for the guests so they don't have to run to catch rides and eliminate this issue all together.

merlinmagic4
02-25-2008, 08:55 PM

Yes, it's small right now but once word gets out that the time doesn't matter, more people will come whenever they want. Until Intercot, I had no idea you could do this.........most people don't.

WDWdriver
02-25-2008, 09:52 PM
I am curious then, why have a return window? Couldn't they just change the system to return after a designated time? It would make it easier for the guests so they don't have to run to catch rides and eliminate this issue all together.

The purpose of the return window is to smooth out the flow of returning FP holders throughout the day. Guests are requested to return during their return window to insure a steady flow of returnees. Normally it works quite well, even if some return late. I can't speak for all Disney attractions, but at Expedition: Everest we can accommodate extra FastPass holders without significant delays to either line.

Let's say our FP machines have issued 500 FastPasses with a return time of 1:00 to 2:00. If NONE of those people returned during that time, then we might have a bit of a problem later in the day. But that just doesn't happen. Most will return during their window because, like many of the posters in this thread, they feel obligated to do so. Those that arrive late can usually be added to the FP queue without any quantifiable change in the respective wait times. In most cases when you enter the FastPass return queue at EE you will be on the ride in five minutes or less, and the standby line will continue to move regardless of late FP returns.

This doesn't mean we don't have standby wait times of an hour or more. We do. But the wait time is more a function of park attendance on any given day than fluctuations in the FP returns.

CaptSmee
02-25-2008, 10:25 PM
I was told by a cast member that you can use your fastpass anytime after it hits the initial time on the return window.

DisneyGiant
02-26-2008, 12:52 AM

Thank you.

I've never seen it negatively affect the flow either.

I am used to waiting even on fast pass at least 5-10 minutes before entering an attraction.......

Seasonscraps
02-26-2008, 03:16 AM
The purpose of the return window is to smooth out the flow of returning FP holders throughout the day. Guests are requested to return during their return window to insure a steady flow of returnees. Normally it works quite well, even if some return late. I can't speak for all Disney attractions, but at Expedition: Everest we can accommodate extra FastPass holders without significant delays to either line.

Let's say our FP machines have issued 500 FastPasses with a return time of 1:00 to 2:00. If NONE of those people returned during that time, then we might have a bit of a problem later in the day. But that just doesn't happen. Most will return during their window because, like many of the posters in this thread, they feel obligated to do so. Those that arrive late can usually be added to the FP queue without any quantifiable change in the respective wait times. In most cases when you enter the FastPass return queue at EE you will be on the ride in five minutes or less, and the standby line will continue to move regardless of late FP returns.

This doesn't mean we don't have standby wait times of an hour or more. We do. But the wait time is more a function of park attendance on any given day than fluctuations in the FP returns.

Thanks Ron for this explanation. I do understand the theory of how FP is supposed to work. Meghan posted that Disney mgmt encouraged late returns if that's not how it is supposed to smooth out the wait times - my question was directly related to that.

Ian
02-26-2008, 08:16 AM
Just wanted to say thanks for Ron and Meghan for confirming what I said previously.

Returning after the window closes is a non-issue in terms of line flow and courtesy to other guests. It affects no one.

merlinmagic4
02-26-2008, 10:49 AM
Just wanted to say thanks for Ron and Meghan for confirming what I said previously.

Returning after the window closes is a non-issue in terms of line flow and courtesy to other guests. It affects no one.

I'll say, very respectfully, that it is a non-issue only because most people use the system as it was intended and return within the window. If the majority of people start arriving whenever they feel like it, it will become just another standby line.

Ian
02-26-2008, 02:55 PM
I'll say, very respectfully, that it is a non-issue only because most people use the system as it was intended and return within the window. If the majority of people start arriving whenever they feel like it, it will become just another standby line.I don't disagree with that and I don't encourage people to routinely return after their window ends.

My point is that it's not the end of the world if your child has to use the restroom and you're a little late for your Fastpass ...

Scar
02-26-2008, 03:45 PM
I'll say, very respectfully, that it is a non-issue only because most people use the system as it was intended and return within the window. If the majority of people start arriving whenever they feel like it, it will become just another standby line.But that shouldn't happen. Not only because...
Most will return during their window because, like many of the posters in this thread, they feel obligated to do so.... but also because many people want to return to ride the ride as soon as possible.

Jeff
02-26-2008, 04:31 PM
"Look I see a Mountain.
Nope, I guess it was just a molehill.":mickey:

Meghan
02-26-2008, 08:43 PM
But that shouldn't happen. Not only because...... but also because many people want to return to ride the ride as soon as possible.

Exactly. It's way more common for someone to come early and hang out around the entrance waiting for their window to open, than for someone to come after their window has closed.

Really the only way to mess up the system is if a large number of people came late, and came at exactly the same time. If suddenly every early morning Fastpast holder showed up at 8:00pm on the dot, there might be a backup. What are the chances of that though? Even when people are late, they're spread out and the system is able to handle them.

jszczur5
02-27-2008, 12:33 AM
The problem comes, as was stated earlier, when a guest has a legitimate reason for being late. While there is no excuse for being rude to a CM, I can understand a guest becoming upset if he/she had waited in a long line for one ride only to be told that his/her FP had expired for another and now he/she has to go to the back of another long line. That would be poor customer service. :humph:

You've got to admit there is a difference between being a little late (like a 1/2hour or less) and being horrendously late ( in the region of several hours).
The fastpass return time is clearly indicated before you insert your ticket into the fastpass printer kiosk. If you cannot reasonably expect to make it back in time, you should not take a ticket. There are a limited number of fastpasses available during each time fame. It's not fair to deliberately curcumvent the time-saving measures of the system for your own convenience.
10 minutes late - no problem.
Three hours late - forget about it!

mrsgaribaldi
02-27-2008, 02:01 AM
WE usually try and do return during our time frame. Actually we are usually in the first 5 minutes of the time frame. :blush:
It's nice to know we could use it if we are late:mickey:

DisneyFanaticDargon
02-27-2008, 04:57 PM
Exactly. It's way more common for someone to come early and hang out around the entrance waiting for their window to open, than for someone to come after their window has closed.

Which isn't fun either as these people tend to block the FastPass return for people who already have valid FPs and are very edgy about having to move out of the way. You ever seen it when a FP becomes valid? It's unmitigated chaos and people seem to forget the fundamental aspect of forming a line and try to squeeze past people who have been there longer and come in from 5 different directions. The only time I've seen an issue like that was when I was in high school and every kid tried to get their car out of the ONE parking lot exit at the same time. You'd be sitting in traffic for a good 10 minutes.

New rule for FP's (invented by me): Your FastPass becomes invalid if you proceed to stand at FastPass Return more than 5 minutes before your FP time.