PDA

View Full Version : Nine Dragons-any tips?

mac badger
02-23-2008, 02:11 PM
going to disney for just a day trip tomorrow-just need a little hit of the mouse, its been too long. we're going to meet a friend/new cast member for a late lunch. we're going to nine dragons in epcot because we've never been there. any suggestions from those who have? i know its just chinese, but i have a goal to eat at every restaurant in the world, but its hard because i keep going back to my favorites:mickey:

lockedoutlogic
02-23-2008, 02:16 PM
I believe that Nine Dragons is closed until the end of the year?

did i misread that...anyone know the dates of their rehab/ redesign

even if they are open...I wouldn't go there....it's just Chinese food....nine dragons is the absolute bottom on my list for EPCOT...actually all of WDW..for that matter

lockedoutlogic
02-23-2008, 02:18 PM
I just checked it....the rehab is 4/06-11/30

so it is still open....I still can't recommend it though.

laughingplace<3
02-23-2008, 03:10 PM
I REALLY didn't like Nine Dragons. I thought the menu had an odd and pretty bad selection of Chinese cuisine. It had weird stuff in general- not the Chinese food you're used to eating, and not authentic, either. The portions were small with high prices and the restaurant itself I thought had a setup of a Chinese restaurant at a strip mall.

Sorry for being harsh, but that is what I thought. It was also really noisy. The staff was kind, though- just not the best service either.

dlpmikki
02-23-2008, 04:48 PM
If they are still doing the sampler lunch then that is probably a good thing to go for. Not sure if they still bring extra of any of the dishes you like but you get a nice mix of what is available. It's not the worlds best chinese but I think people are a little harsh about this place - I find it a nice relaxing place to eat.

#1disneyfan
02-23-2008, 05:04 PM
We ate dinner there 2 summers ago and we really enjoyed it. It was a ton of food though, we were on the dining plan at the time. My DD ended up taking more than half of her food home with us and the rest of us just left ours behind. My DD and I both had the Sesame chicken and it was yummy. I would suggest looking at the menu before making your final decision, but we happen to like the food there. Everyone seems to have very negative comments about this restaurant, so I wanted to add a positive. Whatever you decide, have a great day tomorrow!!

Jared
02-23-2008, 05:33 PM
I REALLY didn't like Nine Dragons. I thought the menu had an odd and pretty bad selection of Chinese cuisine. It had weird stuff in general- not the Chinese food you're used to eating, and not authentic, either. The portions were small with high prices and the restaurant itself I thought had a setup of a Chinese restaurant at a strip mall.

Sorry for being harsh, but that is what I thought. It was also really noisy. The staff was kind, though- just not the best service either.
You're not being harsh at all. I completely agree with your assessment.

I've written many times on this boards that Nine Dragons is arguably the worst restaurant in Disney and almost definitely the worst deal financially.

Maybe it's because I -- and Juliet, who wrote the post I quoted -- live in or around New York City (I just go to school in Syracuse), we have different standards, but I can't imagine anyone thinking Nine Dragons is worthwhile. I can get better Chinese food, and more of it, on almost every street corner for more than half the price. There are so many wonderful dining options in Epcot. I wouldn't waste a meal at Nine Dragons.

kakn7294
02-23-2008, 08:09 PM
My family enjoyed Nine Dragons in Dec '06. We thought the food was good and my 8 yo DD is disappointed that it's closed in August. Not everyone has the luxury of having a Chinese place on every street corner - we only have take-out or buffets locally. I enjoyed the TS experience here with a waiter to serve us rather than having to either eat at home or get up and get the food myself. Everything we had was hot and tasty as opposed to something sitting around on a buffet or traveling 15 min home and getting cold.

mac badger
02-23-2008, 11:33 PM
thanks, #1disney fan, i'm sure i'll have a nice day. how could i not? plus, the weather looks like it will be really good,
mostly bad reviews for this place, but i'll try and keep an open mind. plus my friend really likes it, and we dont have good chinese in my town.and like i said i want to try everything. i'm thinking of maybe getting an appetizer and then just splitting an entree since it wounds like a lot of food. i'll let everyone know what i think when i get back
thanks for the input
cheers:mickey:

SurferStitch
02-24-2008, 11:43 AM
We had two lunches there in December, and both were FANTASTIC!! We love Nine Dragons, and will miss it in May. :(

I had the Sichuan Kung Bao Shrimp Over Noodles, and it was delicious. I don't know why I waited so long to try it. The sauce was perfect, and I ate waaaaay more than I should have! It was just so good! I also had the Stir-Fried Shrimp with Garden Vegetables on another visit. Simple, but delicious.

DH had Sichuan Kung Bao Chicken and General Tso Chicken, and loved both.

The Scallion Flavor Pan Cake was a great appetizer, as was the Chicken and Shrimp Shao Mai.

Of course, we had some Tsingtao beer with everything....light and crisp, and went perfectly with everything (and this is coming from a dark beer drinker).

Have a wonderful meal!

ASweetLov
02-24-2008, 02:52 PM
My boyfriend and I love Nine Dragons. We have been there twice. I had the honey sesame chicken both times and he had the 5 spice white fish both times too. The food was spectacular!:thumbsup:

LudwigVonDrake
02-24-2008, 08:09 PM
Nine Dragons was okay. Nothing spectacular.

mac badger
02-25-2008, 05:01 PM
well, i had my lunch there yesterday. we had ressies for 3 people at 3:30. my friend called at about 1 pm and wanted to also bring her kids. we called dining and were able to add 2 people to the reservation with no problem. then, due to timing we arrived about 30 minutes early, and they were able to seat us right away. so already i was happy with this place.
the service was good, the decor was nice and relaxing (the restaurant was fairly slow, maybe 1/4 to 1/3 full) the food came out quickly. we split the lunch for 4, which was sweet and sour pork, general tso's chicken. canton beef, shrimp and vegetable, and mixed seasonal vegetables. it came with choice of won ton or hot and sour soup. the hot and sour was really great, pretty spicy but lots of flavor. all the entrees were good, esp. the beef and the general tso's. the shrimp was pretty boring, though. all in all i enjoyed it. good food, prices not bad for disney. im sure there's much better chinese food to be had in whatever cities others come from, but like i stated above i dont have any good chinese food in my town.
the best part i think is that you could probably walk up at any time an d get a seat relatively quickly,. thats getting harder and harder to do with the dining plan. i give it a thumbs up. it's no le cellier, but i enjoyed it:mickey: